Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Byolante posted:

Glassing is Sydney's gift to the world of social interaction. For a demonstration of this wonderful practice of community outreach wear a pair of union jack boardshorts on Bondi Beach on the 25th of January.

Welsh Valentine's day???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Jono C posted:

Sam Burgess is officially off to union after the 2014 season.

I really don't get how he is going to have enough time to learn the game in time for the World Cup. SBW took years, although cracking the All Blacks is probably harder than England.

They're probably going to try and make him a centre so all he has to learn is

- catch the ball
- run at the other team
- buy a big house

Considering the outrageous skill levels of League players he'll probably score some great tries and make a lot more but eventually everyone will realise by the 4th or 5th phase he'll usually be out of position. Good for Bath, poo poo for England.

It's going to fail harder than Andy Farell and it will be very funny.

Edit : Not funny because of a union vs league thing, but funny because I'm Welsh.

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 17, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Byolante posted:

Maybe he thought if Folau and SBW can do it, so can I!

Just kidding, Folau is immense

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Is everyone in NRL related or something?
Aussie commentator seems incredulous that people could have the same surname and be no relation.

Also, Roosters look like they took their foot off a bit since they scored the third try.

Edit : No worries, Wigan gifted them another

Edit 2 : Aww, it's like Christmas. "You got me a try? How embarrassing, that's what I got you!"

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 22, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
When the Broncos player knocked the ball out of the tackled player's hands at the end there, why wasn't that a penalty?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I didn't mean LOLBroncos, it's more I'm a clueless plastic.
Everyone was acting like it wasn't supposed to be a penalty and I thought the rule was you couldn't strip the ball when it wasn't a 1-on-1 tackle.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
His foot went out after the hit to the head surely?
Right decision, but wrong reason.

KFC are loving this.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
loving hell that was sickening.
And how it wasn't a loving red and lengthy ban I don't know, he was lifted and driven into the ground.
The fact his head position made it as horrendous as possible is irrelevant.

For a sport which tinkers with the rules to improve the game all the time there's an elephant in the room with "Macho Bullshit" painted on it.
It's going to cause untold harm to the game when someone is paralysed or worse in a televised match.

Edit : Fracture of C4 and C5 http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/03/24/injury_update_alex_mckinnon.html poor bastard.

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 24, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
In union if you lift a player it's your responsibility to bring them down safely, end of story.
Like I said before one of the things League gets right is the speed with which they update the rules when the game is suffering.
That they don't seem as quick to do this when it comes to player safety is a massive blind spot.

No-arm tackles only just being outlawed and the ridiculous reluctance to card dangerous play until everyone's on report is something which is crazy to my eyes.
In the same way I assume someone who grew up with league can't understand why it takes union 20 years to even realise the scrum is a mess, let alone fix it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

honestly this identical tackle happens every single game with not a word spoken about it

This is the problem.
It's like claiming drink-driving is OK if you don't kill anyone.

7 weeks seems harsh and arbitrary because of the dangerous and illegal tackles which went unpunished.
If tip-tackles/lifting/spearing are not punished in the future then it's just compounding the stupidity.

iajanus posted:

You'd hope there'd be less of them if they blew them that often, but I foresee a Gus monologue about how many penalties are being called nowadays and how terrible it is and blah blah blah

It's horrendous that a young man suffered such a horrible fate but the least the game could do is grow the gently caress up a bit and realise that player safety is more important than some tired old man's idea of what being hard is.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

GranadaReport posted:

Australia are hitting England's kickers lake every set.

They should try hitting the guy with the ball instead.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Is this the most ordinary Australian side for a long time or is it just me?
A lot of errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
England have lost a lot of focus and Australia have gained it this half.

• Locked thread