Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
After many months locked in an insane asylum after the Furner firing and other events I have been told by my psychiatrist never to think about again I am ready to discuss the all new Ricky Stuart Raiders. This is the year boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Shush you.

How many more Dragon losses before you lose your bet.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I've actually got "realistic" expectations this year and will give Stuart a "chance" before I start to really get hysterical so I will be acting like a normal person no doubt and not posting anything crazy at all.

The club is or was in utter meltdown so I can't expect much more than the correct amount of players on the field at any given time and not losing every game. Hopefully the Raiders can avoid the spoon.

Still at least he has managed to stop the bleeding of players with Wighton and the Lees.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

BCR posted:

I can't see him getting along with Boss Man Furner. One year Ricky?

Maybe but Boss Man Furner himself must also be on shaky grounds. The Raiders are more of an old boys club than the Freemasons but the end of last year could not have been any worse. First time a Raiders coach has been sacked, a record loss, the Milford saga, the Ferguson saga, etc it was all handled appallingly.

No wonder nobody can be bothered going to watch them stink up the joint.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hahah yes the knights are renowned for being ignored by selectors.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

heladocasero posted:

I hope Dugan manages to avoid being suspended for at least half the season. That would be nice. Maybe Widdop won't suck either, that might be stretching it a bit though. :smith: Here's to another season of mediocrity!

You are more looking at injuries with Dugan although he is good for a dumb incident or two.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The Raiders looks pretty similar to the normal one.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Why would you even do that. I mean as an adult. With a job playing professional Rugby League. Oh thats why.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Josh Dugan= Jed or Jed bogan in full. (league unlimited I think that one comes from)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Man this Raiders side is appalling even worse than the NRL side somehow. If you aren't going to take it seriously just send some under 20s not this collections of goons like Foster.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

holy moly we suck

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Smorgasbord posted:

Cornish and TLL are going alright.

Ahearn is a talent as well but its a bizarre side. Almost makes no sense some of the players that have been picked like Stuart just decided on the team by throwing darts at players names blindfolded.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Well tbh i thought we were probably going to be beaten worse so I will take this as a moral victory :smug:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Why did Ricky send so many slow lumbering oafs for godsake.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The Broncos clearly thought the Raiders would release Milford a year early and they cleared the deck on the expectation he would be there this year.

Could be a tough season for them.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I don't think anyone expects much of Stuart. Realistically though the Raiders were in a complete mess. They lost two of the clubs best players (arguably the best players) in the space of a year and also lost the clubs most talented junior. There was rumours of a mass exodus with Wighton drunk posting on his facebook that he couldn't wait to leave the club (he claimed he was hacked) and a bunch of other players it was rumoured were leaving.

Since Stuart has come in Wighton has re-signed, so have the Lee's, as well as a few up and coming juniors like Ahearn.

What the Raiders need is a coach to come in and kick out as much deadwood as possible. There are a lot of lovely players in key positions at the Canberra Raiders. There will also need to be some tough decisions made on the plodding forward pack and Campo if he has a bad year. Furner would never have made those calls.

Lastly Stuart at least understands the theory behind the modern game. He might not be a good coach but he will attempt to have the Raiders win a ruck, he will attempt to have the Raiders forwards run between players to get a quick play the ball these are all things that Furner struggled with.

Stuart has shown he is pretty horrible long term and what he did to Parramatta (clean the place out and then run off) was pretty low but his job this year is more about getting the roster into a position where they can compete in 2015. That means bringing through Milfords replacement (hopefully Ahearn is up for it), rebalancing the forward pack and working out whats going on in the halves/hooker. He has already seemingly made some calls there with Campo being given the 7 and Wighton probably the 6 with the hope of bringing through Cornish this year.

But it cannot be stressed how bad the Raiders were being run off the field (the Rugby League side. The club is very wealthy) and how much of any success on the field was because a player would do something good not the team. Don't get me wrong I have some big worries about Stuart. He has been real bad at bringing halfbacks through and the Raiders are in a situation where he is clearly building a future half combo of Wighton and Cornish so that is two young playmakers he can ruin Sticky style. He is also a petulant baby with a weird fetish for backrowers but so long as the club is prepared to fire him if things go to hell in a couple of years I think a coach like Stuart can do some good.

EDIT

In short success or failure in 2014 is about how far down the depth chart McCrone and Buttriss have been pushed by the final round.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 24, 2014

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It happens.

The Raiders got a couple of outbreak of them. Josh Dugan was sidelined twice with boils and both Joe Picker and Jarred Kennedy missed games with boils. They can be more dangerous than one would think when they hear the term boil. Staph infection is a serious thing.

They are pretty common in combat sports like wrestling. I just assumed its with all the extra wrestling training players do now days that dirty wrestling mats and the like lead to these types of infections.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

gently caress the Raiders play tonight. Welp

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Melbourne scored just as I put it on. Might just turn it off for a bit.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That could be a big miss there from Smith.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Boy was it ever bad.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I hope I don't miss any of the Raiders game :smith:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Jack that kick was terrible :smith:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Promising first half of football tbh even with the Cowboys capitalising on a couple of dumb Raiders defensive lapses. This is probably the worst first game for the Raiders an away trip to NQ in March so lets see us avoid being blown away second half.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Welp there are a few issues with the Raiders. The first contact defence is absolutely shameful but there were some positives all things considered.

Must must must must must improve the ability to put players down with our first contact though.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah he is involved with them in some way. Possibly assistant coach ??? I really got disillusioned with the club last year and stopped following after all the various incidents so I didn't really follow his post Canberra movements.

I wish him well though. He was a poor coach with an idiotic team of miscreants. He was rather doomed from the start.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

As good as that Thurston try was the penalty was nonsense. The cowboys player dropped it cold.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

As toothless as the knights are through injuries the Raiders don't travel well and still looked prone to randomly playing poorly in patches during a match.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Joel Edwards was a surprisingly good signing but again the Raiders just really suck at putting players down with the first contact in defence.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Waddell still really sucks I see

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Will the Raiders ever win a game again :smith:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah they have missed probably 10-15 clear forward passes

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The Raiders win somehow :D :D

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

Newcastle got reffed out of that, so many bullshit calls

Something something Stuart had the refs bank account details

The refs were poor but they also gave you guys a ton of leeway with forward passes. I don't think Waddell passed backwards at all.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Joel Edwards gently put the bloke on his back. If he sees any time for that tackle I will be shocked. I am sorry your team lost but the Raiders were obviously the better side on the night.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah Hookers especially seem to pass the ball forward basically every play. Its absurd.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The good news for the Raiders is Wighton playing a bit of a breakout game at 5/8 if he can keep things rolling he will be a good player.

He absolutely belted Minto at the end to get the ball loose. For his size he is a pretty good defender.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

Don't get over excited, you had double the penalties and you barely beat a mediocre Knights team.

hmmm yes saying that Wighton shows some promise at 5/8 after playing well at 5/8 is surely getting over excited.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The knights were cruising to victory until Josh "Freemason" McCrone unleashed the secret handshake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I was only half watching while I was working on some things but was there a bulldogs player knocked silly and left on the field.

Pretty poor if so but again I wasn't fully watching.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 17, 2014

• Locked thread