Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Zereth posted:

That's loving impressive.

On top of that, is there like... a reason for the PCs to give a flying gently caress about this? The demon squid using abilities he doesn't have, that wouldn't work that way anyway, even if what he wanted to use them on existed, to take over more of a pond in a dungeon that by this point I'd just want to get the gently caress out of?

Nope. It's one of the biggest problems of the WLD - there's all these "plots" going on, but there's literally no way for the PCs to discover about 95% of them, and even if they did they almost certainly wouldn't care. The PCs have probably ruined the plan already just by traveling through the dungeon on their murder spree, so who cares who was trying to rule the area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The funny part is the rest of the dungeon is filled with poo poo that fucks you over if you aren't lawful good, and the death rate is so high most of the party is going to be LG if not all of it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
World's Largest City is surprisingly not-terrible. It isn't shackled to fights and traps so much so you aren't forced to confront the designer's terrible ideas on balance, and since it's a city rather than a linear-ish dungeon they can actually have somewhat coherent plots going on.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The remit to use every monster in the Monster Manual certainly gave us a lot of "and then there's a remorhaz hanging out!" Even at its its monstrous length, it somehow comes across as :effort:

And they didn't even loving do that! There's a bunch missing, with the excuse that they use one of each type (so a few dragons stand for all of the dragons).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Appoda posted:

Just wanna say thanks for finishing this, I really enjoyed the write up. The basic premise of the game gave me idea for a campaign of my own, and at the beginning of your presentation, you said you had some ideas on how you could improve WLD. Assuming you're not completely sick of WLD and the banner quote alone doesn't make you gag, what would you have changed? Anything aside from obvious things, like giving useful treasure and not filling 90% of the dungeon with garbage or utterly one-sided encounters?

Also, is there anything else like WLD in size? As bad as it was (or because it's so bad), I kinda like really ambitious adventure modules like this. I know World's Largest City is out there, and I certainly haven't read up on everything F&F has to offer, either.

There are three major flaws in WLD (amongst a host of minor ones)

1)Lack of mechanical rigor: it's everywhere. Not just things that are much stronger or much weaker than the character levels who are supposed to be trudging through the area, but flat-out wrong numbers abound, like all the obviously incorrect CRs or weird HP totals

2)Get hosed, players: all the random gently caress-you traps that are impossible to find, terrible suggestions (if they take 20, all the DC's go up by 20!)

3)Lack of coherence: I read a bit about it where they stated that the maps were made first and then each section was split up and then worked on individually, and it's pretty obvious that there was little planning about how each section connected to the others, and how factions were actually supposed to work within each section

As it is, there's basically no way to fix WLD, the problems are all baked-in and you would have to change almost everything about it. At best, you'd be able to take a few of the concepts and get something decent out of it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yesssss, Spycraft owns.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Halfling

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

PurpleXVI posted:

But it's not the money itself that makes you richer, it's using the money. If you go out and spend 1000 credits on a fancy sports car, you somehow get more money on your next paycheck.

That's not how capitalism works, a sports car or a death ray aren't investments. I mean, unless you're engaging in some particularly brutal protection rackets which... completely unregulated capitalist system... yeah, fair enough, I guess the death ray might make sense for increasing your earning potential.

I'm pretty sure this is how Strangecoin works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Noncasters have poo poo for endurance anyway, because their only resource is HP and they can't recover that in a meaningful amount. Casters also have HP as resource, but they either have ways to recover it or ways to avoid taking damage in the first place (through flight/invisibility/etc or just ending a fight with a single spell) or both.

• Locked thread