Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Really, you should be able to infer everything from the fact that he changed his name to Rein[large black dot]Hagen.

I've always read it as Rein-splotch-Hagen. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FMguru posted:

RPGnet is mostly full of older nerds, and they're often very very provincial about their particular nerd tastes. And any game out there, no matter how mediocre or stupid or downright bad, is somebody's favorite game, and they are going to defend it to the death against all criticism. I mean, there was one poster there who battled everyone for the honor of Gary Gygax's otherwise unloved DANGEROUS JOURNEYS: MYTHUS until he was run off the forums for reasons unrelated to his Gygaxophilia.

Culturally, the forum tilts left-of-center, and the moderation takes positive steps to weed out the worst neanderthal impulses of fans (casual homophobia, lecturing transpeople about what their gender really is, and denying the experience of rape and harassment victims are all bannable offenses). But fan tastes are fan tastes and most nerds never lose their attachment to the things they loved in their late teen years.

Yeah, this is pretty much the reason I left RPGnet after posting daily for several years. Maybe it's changed since then, but around 2005 it was basically Nerd Hugbox 101.

The only thing worse than people being disproportionately passionate about nerd stuff is when they're hugely passive-aggressive about expressing it. You'd make a joke about a game and then suddenly HOW COULD YOU NOT REALIZE THAT WAS AN INCREDIBLY HURTFUL THING TO SAY and I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW that SMEGLORDS OF BLEEM was the ONLY THING IN THE WORLD that made them survive highschool bullying, or something.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Voting Would-Be Knight and Self-Taught Mage, and the Angered Fae scenario.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

This is the sort of OSR game I wish there was more of instead of the usual nostalgic rehashes. Someone run this in the Game Room, tia.

This. I would play the hell out of this game.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

All-bear party, like that Ogryn game that spun out of the 40k RPG thread.

Improved Hibernation is a bit OP. I prefer the feat that lets you summon 1d6 Dire Cubs once per day.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Traveller posted:

Next: let's see what an OSR guy has to say about gender roles, hm?

I'm liking Red Tide so far, this should be very interesting. :munch:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

Which is actually a bit of a problem, since it also protects him from being tried in Sweden for rape, since they'd extradite him to the US for trial and imprisonment there.

Actually we wouldn't, and Assange probably knows this. It's more likely he doesn't want to be tried for sexual assault in a country he literally thinks is "Feminist Saudi Arabia". :rolleyes:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Doresh posted:

Because roleplaying games are cleary about playing as your boring old self or something you don't like.

"So you want to play a half-elf wizard, huh?"

"gently caress you, you're playing a middle-aged human shitfarmer or you're not playing at all. Make a DC20 Fortitude save to check if you die of dysentery before the session starts." :smuggo:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

oriongates posted:

Unknown Armies, part 17: Cosmic Gaming

The second big Truth about the clergy is the fact that not only were they humans who ascended and not only can humans still ascend to the Clergy...but you can actually replace an existing Archetype. If you can successfully be a become a greater embodiment of the Mother than the current Archetype then up you go to the Statosphere and she goes hurtling earthwards. Replace an Archetype and you get to redefine it to suit your idiomatic view of the concept. That's why the Messenger today is more of a journalist and investigator than a runner or postman. An Archetype who has been kicked out returns to the world as a mortal, knowing that they were an Archetype but with only fragmentary memories.

Doesn't the book mention in passing how Che Guevara managed to replace Robin Hood as the embodiment of the Rebel, and that the latter now spends his days oppressing tribes in Burma? :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

oriongates posted:

Next we'll get into the Unnatural, basically a bestiary of UA weirdness.

Oh, I'm so looking forward to this one. :dance:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

D&D actually does have an answer for that. Detect Evil despite the name doesn't detect everyone who is evil. It detects emanations of evil, which is completely unhelpful because it is completely undefined save for "sometimes evil magic items". It was however later clarified to include clerics of evil gods, demons, undead, and antipaladins. So generally commander cobra type self professed evil types.

I used to houserule this to only make it apply to magical or extraplanar evil. That way casting Detect Evil wouldn't help you catch a murderer or find out who's a villain, unless he/she is an outsider in disguise or possessed by something. It won't work at all on Bob the Peasant who occasionally beats his wife and steals his neighbors grain.

Night10194 posted:

The funniest part is being Evil is objectively a terrible idea because the Evil gods are A: Assholes and B: Won't have your back when you die.

So true.

What's funny is that it wouldn't take much effort to make evil faiths at least somewhat believable in your standard D&D setting. I could understand someone following an evil deity if it watched your back and granted you awesome powers as long as you did as you were told and kept loving poo poo up for people. Also when you die you're totally going to be turned into a badass barbed devil or whatever.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 29, 2015

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

So wait, the author uses the Swedish folklore term for changelings and then completely fucks it up? :psyduck:
If that's the case it's supposed to be Bortbytingarna Trolls.

Wouldn't be the first game to just pick random words out of a Scandinavian dictionary to find "cool" names for their pseudo-norse setting.

The map in the not-Vikings supplement for Hârnworld has a lot of the village and city names just pulled directly from a map of Sweden. :v: :sweden:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ratpick posted:

I can't even imagine what a fantasy analogue Finland would look like.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Depending on what they choose to show as "Finnish", I'd live to see more pseudo-Finland nods in games

Not a tabletop RPG, but there's always The Unreal World.

Now you, too, can enjoy the authentic Finnish experience of getting food poisoning from eating raw meat and slowly dying from an infected leg wound in a dark, snow-covered forest. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

Afterthought 12 is really just us saying thanks to everyone for letting us make two years of this stuff (we started August 9, 2013) and keeping us interested to keep going still. We also answer a bunch of insane questions.

Sir, I am mightily offended that your all your ideas about a blimp-based campaign setting did not include a single reference to Chester Balloonman. :colbert:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FMguru posted:

My favorite recent bit of Roma-hating was from the Pathfinder Card Game, which has this as the first challenge
Oh no, some shifty ethnics are suspected of stealing livestock and coins! Better put together a special task force and murder them all.

It's pretty much the ghetto clearance scene from Schindler's List, but done as a colorful fantasy game.

Yes, yes, but can I take the Stormtrooper prestige class as soon as I have the Improved Racial Hatred feat, or do I also need to have +6 BAB and Favored Enemy: Ethnics?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

It’s my understanding that in RoleMaster, they have look-up tables down to the individual weapon, and that the tables are much much larger/specific/potentially lethal.

Correct.

It's been called "Rulemaster" for a reason. :v:

That said, it's not as bad as it looks. IIRC, the columns represent the armor type of your opponent (where 1 is unarmored and 20 the maximum) and the rows are your modified to-hit roll.

Suppose you hit someone wearing heavy leather (Armor Type 10), and your modified attack roll is 97. Cross-referencing your roll with the '10' column you get the result "14CK", which means the guy you just hit with your two-handed sword takes 14 hits as well as a C-type Krush critical hit.

(Crits are rated from A to F, with F being the most severe. They're also further classified into damage types, slashing, piercing, crushing, etc. Can't recall why they used a K instead of a C for crushing, but it might have to do with not confusing the damage type with the crit severity.)

Been years since I attempted to play RM, so I might have missed a step or two.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 17, 2015

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Plague of Hats posted:

EDIT: On the topic of HARP, I like a lot of what they seemed to be reaching for, but it was close enough to Rolemaster without having the fun crit charts that it was mostly a sad D&D-alike for me.

This, I think, is why HARP never got very popular. It's essentially Rolemaster Lite, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I doubt that the concept attracted many players. The ones who enjoy extensive crit chats and detailed descriptions of exactly how your foe gets mutilated stick with Rolemaster, while the ones who don't probably just keep playing D&D.

MERP, the "predecessor" to HARP, at least had Middle Earth and all the Tolkien-based lore going for it. HARP has...a decent system and a pretty nice core book, but that's about it.

EDIT: While we're on the topic, maybe someone could write a post on the history of Rolemaster and its various editions? From what I understand both the system and the publisher have been through some rough times.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 17, 2015

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Plague of Hats posted:

This might be fun to do. (And if it's a single post I might actually finish it! :v:)

Sweet.

I don't think more than a single post is called for. A short history of ICE and RM would be perfectly adequate, no one's expecting a detailed Let's Read of every single edition.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Plague of Hats posted:

plus I have ~opinions~ about some things. :jerkbag:

Wouldn't have it any other way. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Speaking of Rolemaster, it has the best illustration of the Bard class ever created:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I remember the 2E High Level Campaigns book, where they talked about level limits, and the author was absolutely bugfuck rabid about enforcing them on epic level campaigns, official optional rules be damned. 'If you aren't playing with level limits, then you aren't playing D&D'. Thanks greatly, Skip, you sack of poo poo.

To be fair, that poo poo was all over the 1E DMG as well. My favorite is when Gygax outright states that if you don't keep ~strict time records~, your campaign is literally meaningless.

theironjef posted:

Normally elves live for like 700 years, which is enough time to get to level 11 wizard and then spend the rest of their lives torturing humans trying to figure out how level 8 spells work.

Totally stealing this idea for a future campaign.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This setting has to have Fantasy Jimmy Hoffa somewhere in it.

Maybe Wilfred P. Blimpmeister, a lich who can cast Animate Scab and Greater Embezzlement.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Regarding TDE/DSA, what would be the best and cheapest way to get ahold of the original German rulebooks? I don't care much about editions, so used copies would be fine too.

EDIT: Holy poo poo. Looking through German eBay, what I believe is the 4th edition rulebook is priced at around 150€. Is that normal?

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 5, 2015

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

Here's what Inspiration does, for example. It can be caused by attending religious events (there's rules for who gets XP and piety and faith and mana from attending a funeral, or a baptism, etc.):
Increase Piety Band by one width (the ever-shifting measure of how holy/unholy you are)
Take all Morale tests at +2 while inspired
No fatigue until twice the recognized period/EP damage has occurred (no idea)
Physique, Endurance, Bravery, Faith, and Charisma +1
Agility and Intelligence -1
Take all Control tests at +2, or +3 if facing a danger from enemies of God
Carry an extra +3 factor in appeals (literally this means you're better at arguing with the party leader for a while)

Normally, Inspiration occurs during religious ceremonies, especially conversions. But spontaneous epiphanies can also occur. The chance of being Inspired spontaeneously is measured like this:
Facing Danger from servants/powers of a different religion +3 for noobs, +1 for subsequent dangers
Seeing a successful appeal +2 if it's yours, +1 if it's someone else's
Being rescued from death +3, injury or captivity +1, from diabolic possession +2
After any notable victory, success, relief from danger, illness, whether religiously delivered or not +2, but only if your PB (piety band) is outside the range of 5 to -5

Add all those together, then also

Add 2xPB
Faith modification: Below 8 for a -1, 14-17 for a +1, above 18 for a +2
Add half your Religious Experience Level
Subtract your rank in the Church
Luck
Character has been inspired before +1
Character is usually inspired +3

Okay, great. Now take the result of all that, multiply it by three and roll under the result on percentile dice be be Inspired. Effects last [whoops no idea]

Here's the circumstances that trigger a check for spontaneous Religious Inspiration: [whoops, no idea]

You, sir, just made me order a used copy of this piece of crap off of Amazon.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

genuinely sad there was never a rifts crpg

Knowing Kevin Siebieda, this would probably only be released for Windows 95 and have archaic copy protection that requires you to have access to the entire back catalog of The Rifter.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

JackMann posted:

"Coming up next, Kevin Trudolphin with natural sea cures "they" don't want you to know about!"

Kevin Swimbieda. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

Man I just listened to this to figure out what that joke was, and am thrilled to remember how quickly we realized my cat wants to be on mic all the time.

You should have the Podcat as a guest host on your next episode. Can't wait to hear its in-depth opinions on all the Immortal craziness. :allears:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Nessus posted:

I agree, though of course he's definitely Wick That Didn't Happen, dot txt.

Yeah. The more of his inane wankery I read, the more convinced I get that he just made up all those times he TOTALLY OWNED THE PLAYERS SO HARD, YOU GUYS. :smug:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

Did D&D kill his dog or something?

D&D3E was released around the same time as Wick's Orkworld, and apparently he couldn't stomach the fact that a completely new and reworked edition of the world's first RPG sold a lot better than his own piss-poor "what-if-the-bad-guys-were-actually-good" fantasy trip. Cue the huge hissy fit that was posted earlier in this very thread.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 29, 2015

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

He wants to be editor-in-chief or director, the players will act in his story the way he wants it and ideally they'll agree and enjoy, but it's not required.

No, he wants to make them hate the story and then convince themselves they actually liked it because The Wick is the ~greatest storyteller~ you guys!

Want to play a ronin? gently caress you, everyone hates you and you get executed by roving samurai.
Want to play a superhero? gently caress you, the villain kidnaps you and steals your powers.
Want to play [concept]? gently caress you, in MY setting [concept]s are outlawed and hunted for sport.

:master: :smugbert: :master:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

Delta Green. It's an excellent adaptation of the Cthulhu Mythos to the 90's zeitgeist with the message that perhaps the greatest cosmic horror is the great indifference of man against man. Almost all the villains are people who want to harness the Mythos for their own petty benefits, which is a chilling thought. The writing is top-notch, with every page dripping with plot hooks one can craft an entire campaign from. It's full of NPCs that are ready to come into conflict with each other, or that the players can make come into conflict with each other for their own purposes.

Delta Green is what the Cthulhy Mythos would be like if it'd been written by a competent writer instead of H.P. Lovecraft.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

Ever since playing Crimson Skies on the original Xbox I have dreamed of a game that's retro-futurist biplanes taking off from blimp bases. I don't care if it's realistic or TaleSpin, I just want it.

You already invented Blimpleggers, what are you waiting for? Go write a goddamn sourcebook or something. :dance:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Doresh posted:

It's sad they never make it the other way around and have Golarion be swarmed with Russian tanks and fighter planes.

I'd play it. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think I'll do a thread reboot later this evening for 2016, if there are no objections.

Taking suggestions for the thread title, in any case!

FATAL & Friends 2016: The Book of Vile Dorkness

• Locked thread