Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder what the smallest coherent unit of the WLD actually is. It's not even a region, it would seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...I shouldn't be surprised at the tarrasque. It's not like anything else has made a lick of sense.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, what's in O59 of the WLD?

Who is the real Barcellos?

What is the fate of man?!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Count Chocula posted:

My favorite Doctor Who blogger talks a bunch about the Doctor colliding into different genres, and I imagine he's hit a few AW-style worlds in his time. The idea would be how would the Doctor change AW, and how would AW change the Doctor? I can imagine you could do that with an existing playbook, though. I wouldn't even include the TARDIS, since the TARDIS just gets the Doctor from story to story. Assume he's stuck in AW, and explore what somebody who's clever with a strong moral code would DO in that setting. Would he try and reform the local gangs? Overthrow the worst bad guys? Say 'gently caress it' and roll with the least-bad people as a mechanic/clever guy (which I think is already a playbook)? There was somebody who tried to do a Doctor Who run of Fallout: New Vegas, mostly talking or lockpicking, and that would be cool.

I mean, Tom Baker hung out with Leela, who's a Battlebabe if I've ever seen one:

And on the AW side you're dealing with a mutant who comes from the Maelstorm and talks to it and interacts with it.

Pretty sure The Quarantine is like, exactly this? Dude from a better time with a cleaner moral compass who might well be trying to fix things.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Got it in one.

It's been a while since I've played it, but that's actually an available perk for Ghoul troopers in Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. The idea was that you'd get fruit regularly from the tree but the implementation was bugged.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kurieg posted:

In 2003, a particular rulebook hit the shelves, much to college aged me's chagrin.

Oh boy, lookin' forward to this writeup.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kurieg posted:

Yes, he has Teleport without Error as an at will ability. Yes, that means that there's no way for the party to actually kill him. Yes they thought this was fair.

Is Dimensional Anchor still available to cast?

I mean, yes, that upgrades it to "must have specific countermeasure" but at least it's possible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's my fault; I didn't talk about the Crusades on Magna Verita, which were basically "the Church stomps all over everyone around Europe, Mecca and Jerusalem were burned to the ground, Jews either had to convert or die, everyone else is just killed".

It is really strange that the Native Americans get called out like that, though.

Was TORG an American-published game? It'd make sense to pay some attention to how America was treated.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
RIP City of Heroes.

I mean, it had a comic-book concept of death, but you were usually doing the important stuff. I can think of a few times when NPCs stepped in to do things, but not a time when what you did didn't matter. I mean, aside from being able to run stuff on infinite loop.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Prison Warden posted:

Make Scrooge McDuck!

And hell, make Darwing Duck or Gizmo Duck too while you are at it.

This, and also FoTNS gecko. I want to see how much stopping power you can pack into one of those.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

So what exactly is considered "heresy"? Glad you asked!

...they do know that Friday abstinence has only been a thing only in the US since like the 1960s, right? I mean, everybody's got their own practices and they've varied throughout Church history. Make up some small-b byzantine ones, go hog wild!

Also if somebody brought the CyberPope to Paris, would he explode?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

Really? I honestly didn't know that. What brought that about?

Sorry, misworded that. It's that ONLY "eat fish on Friday" is how the ancient practices of fast and abstinence have shaken themselves out in the modern United States. Things in the past have been far more restrictive. Here's a small primer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kai Tave posted:

The Forge was basically a forum for people to dissect RPGs and discuss design theory in a hobby where game design is still basically in the primordial soup stage and most people just sort of put stuff together by gut feel and "this looks right." Out of it came an attempt at codifying the way different people approach RPGs and what they want to get out of them...whether they want to "play to win" (gamist), get into their characters' heads (narrativism), or do whatever the gently caress simulationism is (simulationism). It's worth noting that Edwards didn't come up with this wholecloth and it's based on earlier discussions from usenet days going back to like 1997. People on the Forge endlessly debated the particulars of GNS because nobody could quite settle on definitions for certain things or what they meant, sort of like how every RPG forum ever endlessly circles and debates things because that's what happens. Since then the Forge has closed down and Ron Edwards has discarded GNS in favor of another framework I don't know the particulars of.

The RPGPundit hates Ron Edwards and the Forge because the RPGPundit is a huge idiot rear end in a top hat whose whole schtick is getting het up at stuff and ranting about it.

The new framework is called The Big Model but I don't know the particulars of it either. My current RPG paradigm is what's loosely called the dice and clouds model, which also came out of the Forge.

Simulationism is... well, okay. The definition of simulationism is that you want the game to create the same things you find in its source material. This has led to people deciding that a game's source material is the real world and rules must be physics.

Personally I think it's a failed attempt to complicate the game/narrative binary, and a better classification is the one that came up in the pre-3E player surveys Ryan Dancey did for Wizards. Add a time axis to it. So you have short-term narrative (scening) long-term narrative (story arc) short-term game (tactics) and long-term game (strategy).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Doresh posted:

The first step of JC chargen involves picking a concept, with a couple helpful question to flesh the character out.
The 2nd step involves picking your "race", which in JC means "In what kind of gravitational environment did you grow up?". I'll be noting the nations/places where each race can be found, because the book doesn't really do that for you.

Huh. No Hoffmanites? I suppose tech isn't yet advanced far enough for colonizing a heavy-G world.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tasoth posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and think that a high-grav world is going to have it's own problems. Life span would probably be shortened from stress on your cardiovascular and skeletal system, fluid pooling at the ends of the your extremities, etc. Low G is going to be easier to adapt to then walking around all day with it physiologically feeling like you have an olympic bar and some multiple of your weight on it.

Specifically I was talking about this guy, who was basically gene-adapted to live on a high-G world. Jovian Chronicles isn't nearly that galactic yet, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think it's less that the Metal Men were dishonorably discharged and then thrown into space and more that they were discharged into space, and that was dishonorable.

A poor evident grasp of language does tend to kill puns in their cradles, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mors Rattus posted:

It's big enough for a core book but I don't know who could reasonably write one focusing on the earnest, Sailor Moon/Pretty Cure types all that well. And of course most gamer nerds would play it terribly. (Golden Sky Stories would do well in the job of being an 80s Magical Girl game.)

You could 100% play The Magical Witch Girl And Her Animal Friends with Golden Sky Stories. GSS isn't big on singling out a protagonist but I don't think that's a weakness.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ratpick posted:

Okay, yeah, I could see myself playing this too.

But seriously, I loved that Afterthought episode and it got me thinking about homebrewing some kind of a tabletop RPG where the players are all farmers.

So, Burning Wheel.

If you want to make it more Rune Factory, look up Enchanting and Art Magic in the Magic Burner, and add some Ob if you're trying to root earth magic in a crop/process it with the magic intact.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

Time for System Mastery! Hey everyone, enjoy Panty Explosion! It would be nice if someone did.

Did you change up the site format? I can't find the download link, which is kind of important if I want to actually put this podcast onto a music player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's nothing. 3327 has done this whole song and dance on multiple worlds, but there's nothing about the sustainability of the project or if/how he alters economies to be compatible with Marketplace's.

There's a lot of talk about how he sends things from Marketplace to Core Earth in order to build up the Kanawa empire, but nothing about bringing it back home or sending it somewhere else.

And you know what? That'd be fine...if they didn't spend so much effort defining every little thing about 3327's plans. But, as I've said before, the more you define the more the holes start to show.

I went back and looked at the world maxims. Law of Profit -- just by having giant piles of money, 3327 can do everything cheaper. It doesn't matter if one pile is in nonconvertible currency, it's still a big pile of money.

• Locked thread