Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

theironjef posted:

My favorite giant robots are the ones powered by kisses from grade-school girls.

Thank you for reminding me of that. I hate you now.

Kurieg posted:

When Char was going up against Amuro at the end of MSG, he went out in the unfinished Zeong. They hadn't finished the legs yet and Char's response was basically "We're in loving space, it doesn't need legs, just put more thrusters on it."

Actually it was Char himself that wondered about the Zeong's legs, and he was told "we're in space, the legs don't really matter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Doresh posted:

Macross 7. Let's defeat the evil space vampires with giant robots using weaponized J-Rock!.

I second this. If Kromore won't let me play a spaced out rock star who flies around in a transforming jet robot and yells at people to listen to his songs then what use is it? And while I'm at it try Super Robot Wars in general. Kromore better let Basara's friends in the Alpha Numbers or Z-Blue come along for the ride :colbert:.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Baofu posted:

is the part of Kancolle that drove me to drink. Saying you like Kancolle is saying, "I am willfully ignorant of history AND I've given up on 3D women."

As far as I can tell Kantai Collection is the most bizarre and amusing symptom of Japan shifting to the right politically. Japan has always been into anthropomorphically personifying things as girls, this is the first time I've seen it so goofily jingoistic. This doesn't necessarily make it any better, but it it does give me to laugh at.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My view of Polaris is that you shouldn't play Polaris. Instead play "Thou art but a warrior" which is a splatbook for Polaris that to me hits much closer in terms of setting and immediacy to what Polaris was trying to be. I guess I respect what Polaris wants to be more than I particularly like Polaris itself. Thou Art etc. does a much better job selling what Polaris is trying to peddle.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kavak posted:

They always pick lovely fantasy MMOs for these stories, too. Why can't people get stuck in Star Trek Online or pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies instead of lovely Fantasy Grind Fest 42?

Because lovely Fantasy Grind Fest 42 is more popular than good MMOs in Japan.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

How absolutely stunning that Kromore turns out to be the wrong choice to stage every single one of this thread's suggestions. I truly am very deeply surprised and offended this trash game which claimed the moon and the stars instead delivered a trickle of poo poo.

PurpleXVI posted:

KROMORE

It doesn't make for an entertaining review despite being a frustrating read, because so many of the stupid, frustrating things are in the editing, and it's hard to really convey just how much it overreaches itself in trying to have TEN THOUSAND YEARS OF HISTORY and then devoting maybe five lines to loving two thousand years of said history. And a major event like an entire species, the Metal Men, having their brains corrupted, and whatever it takes to uncorrupt them, taking up a grand total of half a page. The quest to cure an entire loving species of a corrupting infection takes up less space than what was spent at the start of the book to tell us how to effectively railroad our players.

But if they bothered to make their setting and history interesting and coherent in the first place we wouldn't need to buy the KROMORE setting book now would we?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FMguru posted:

You see this in other parts of the design, too, like the way each school of magic has a single blast spell that are all pretty much equivalent to one another (if different in the way those effects look). Point your finger at someone, burn a minor charge, they take X damage. Point your finger at someone, burn a significant charge, they take Y damage - whether you're an Urbanomancer or a Bibliomancer or a Personamancer, it's all the same.

Bibliomancers and Personamancers don't get blasts :ssh:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Is that supposed to be some sort of allusion to Squirrel-Girl?

My brain immediately went here as well.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't especially like it because, even more than anywhere else in Torg, it seems to have no ability to "win." I mean, the entire game is set up to keep you from winning against the High Lords, but it seems to believe it's possible, and it certainly wants you to believe it's possible.

But there's nowhere to start here. The High Lord is a symptom - you take him out, there's plenty of faceless greed-driven executives who could step into his shoes without even appearing to change.

So...why should I, the player, want to interact with them?

The "You Can't Win" thing that Torg wallows in is the reason why I've never really been all that excited for the setting. I get why there are people who are really enthused by places like places like the Cyberpapacy, but Torg is so far up its rear end with metaplot that the settings have railroads fused horribly into them. West End Games absolutely don't want you to win, it's their world you're playing in and don't you forget it, this is their story and not yours so buckle in and have yourself a steaming helping of metaplot. Malraux? Mobius? 3327? They have metaplot a plenty ahead of them so take your filthy player hands off of them.

From where I'm sitting the metaplot poison is in too deep when it comes to Torg, to salvage it you'd probably have to do some serious bleeding on the setting level.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Evil Mastermind posted:

Torg is the greatest game with the worst mechanics ever made.

I think Torg was created about twenty years too early. In the late 2000s/early 2010s on the other end of the FATE and PBTA storygame boom and the metaplot busts of things like oWoD Torg might have actually delivered on its promise. Torg not only comes from an extremely metaplot-y place but also an incredibly simulationist-y one. It really is born from the worst of both 80s and 90s. When I made a crack about how Torg wants you to remember it's not your world to play with I meant no hyperbole, so much time and effort was put into axioms and world laws and the metaphysics of the setting they forgot to make their cool premise cool.

I'm absolutely on board with gutting Torg and starting again. Torg as written is trash. Meanwhile playing a version of Torg where you can be a knight in shining armor who turns into a Monster Hunter character, or a cyborg who turns into a half golem? That would be a hell of a ride.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

That reminds me, I forgot to ask how my Log Horizon F&F was. It didn't generate quite as much of a response, so idk if I was doing anything right or wrong. I want to do another F&F at some point of some other games, but I want to up my RPG reviewing game.

I thought it was pretty good myself. You hit the relevant notes, got across information well and succinctly, used it to tie into the setting, and in general sold the game pretty well. I have read worse F&F write-ups to be frank. And I personally recall there was a decent handful of people talking about it as well, so I'd say it did generate a response.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kavak posted:

On a similar note, the "Wizard Supremacy" rules come back into pay when White Wolf Mages end up in crossover games. Mages are on a power level and thematic level so far above everyone else it's not funny. When you're dealing with a guy who, with the right combination of Arcana, could untraceably kill anyone in the world or make the spirits you were designed to fight his bitch without breaking a sweat, things kind of end up centering on them.

Of course it's relevant to point out that while you can do crossover World of Darkness games the books don't necessarily focus on or encourage such things (at least in nWoD, which is what I'm familiar with). Each line focuses pretty much exclusively on its own brand of supernaturals and gives you a full setting complete with its own plots and antagonists. Mages are definitely head and shoulders above other supernaturals in terms of their "I make a swimming pool of Liquid Chlorine Trifluoride and kill you horribly" level of power, but the Mage books are 99% of the time exclusively focused on mages doing mage things against abyssal entities and other mages and other Mage related antagonists in a Mage-focused setting. There's the casual mention of vampires and werewolves every so often, and a few pages devoted to cross-splat interactions, but the assumption is that if you're playing Mage your party is made up of mages and your game will focus on mages. Similarly Vampire is all about being vampires and dealing with vampire problems and vampire antagonists, and Werewolf is about being a werewolf and dealing with werewolf problems and werewolf antagonists and so forth.

By contrast Dungeons and Dragons' specific assumption is that you will have a mixed party with a combination of casters and non-casters, and that's where the disparities in power really come to the forefront. WoD "allows" cross-splat cooperation but DnD EXPECTS cross class cooperation. DnD always says you should probably have a Cleric and a Wizard handy, and the game is built around the assumption the players will have some degree of magical aptitude in their group. Mage supremacy is less relevant in WoD because by rights you should only have a lot of mages running around if you are playing a mage in a Mage game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

occamsnailfile posted:

Unknown Armies is an interesting contrast to the WoD as both deal with horror but in...different ways. I always liked that UA's skill check system was 'number while under stress' rather than something you had to roll for mundane tasks. You'd still have a bunch of wimp-slapping flailers in combat generally, but given that PCs were relatively normal humans that wasn't so bad. Plus, the game itself emphasized ways to not default to combat, a novel approach.

The opening section of the combat chapter in Unknown Armies is one of my favorite things ever in an RPG book. It's the thing that made me a Greg Stolze/John Tynes fan.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Strange Matter posted:

See there are so many good spells that you can come up with for a car adept that it's hard to narrow them down! Is there like a normal limit for Adepts in UA?

Not really. You can make as many formula spells as you like, but the penalty is that having too many formula spells weakens your ability to do off-the-cuff random magick. I don't remember if I'm right but the impression I got was that not every adept knew every single formula spell from their section.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Strange Matter posted:

Been thinking about the possibilities of a Major Charge for a Motor-Shaman; what about becoming such a legend that your name is imprinted upon some aspect of the global driving culture? I.e. you get a car named after you or a race track or someone makes a movie about your exploits. In that way a lot of people in the past could have had the potential for getting a Major Charge if they knew what they were doing, but even if they did they would have lost it almost immediately thanks to the limits of the taboo. Eval Kineval certain snagged one at some point in his career as a proto-Motor-Shaman but would have forfeited it pretty quickly.

This would make it awfully difficult for the average street racing Motor-Shaman to get a Major Charge, but that's okay considering the possibilities of what a Major Charge can do.

I'm willing to say maybe this would work, but only if its built entirely on your driving since that's the core of the motor shaman. There's a certain method to the minor->significant->major charge progression going on with other schools. How do other schools get charges? Bibliomancers get it from increasingly rare and valuable books, Cliomancers get it from increasingly more significant bits of history, Personamancers get it by fooling greater numbers of people, Epideromancers from injuring themselves with increasing severity, and so forth. There's a progression even in schools that aren't a straight "this, more of this, most of this", an Urbanomancer gets a minor charge from watching a city, a significant charge by affecting a city, and a major charge from drastically changing a city. Motor Shamans have "Drive" for a minor charge and "Drive crazy" for a significant charge so as the write-up suggests presumably a major charge would be something along the lines of "Drive Superlatively Crazy". A feat of driving that makes you famous and renowned across the entire world for its madness might qualify for a major charge, but unless it is above and beyond the pale it might not.

On the other hand maybe not. Maybe you have to drive somewhere on a road no one has ever driven before, or break some record of crazy driving to race ahead of any other crazy driver, or drive in mad dash through a place you can't drive, or something else entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Maxwell Lord posted:

The eating the dead thing is interesting in the context of mummies, because for a while in Europe (at least into Shakespeare's time) eating mummy was a particularly shady occult thing- tiny bits of the bodies were mixed into various elixirs and were believed to have beneficial properties.

There was even a paint, mummy brown.

And suddenly I understand the existence of Mummy Elixirs in Romancing SaGa.

• Locked thread