Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's a lot of little things I like about WW, but sneering at scientific progress, the worship of the Noble Savage-archetype (and not understanding it's a racist concept), and the idiotic idea that Art and Science are just incompatible is rage inducing (EXPLAIN THE RENAISSANCE THEN, JACKASSES).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tasoth posted:

The Technocracy.

...I walked into that one. :golfclap:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Halloween Jack posted:

Dante With a Gun

Wow that's pretty drat blatant. Capcom might want to have words if these guys still exist.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

GimpInBlack posted:

That's from Hunter: the Vigil. It was all handled a few years ago. Pretty sure that artist is blacklisted now.

Yeah - I would hope the artist was blacklisted after pulling that stunt - there's a world of difference between taking inspiration from DMC and basically copying and editing a sword into a gun. It's just stunning that a) no one editing noticed, and b) the artist thought that was okay.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Autumn People posted:

"mindless sorority girls going for their MRS degrees,

:catstare:

There's a lot of staggering awful in this, but that just stands out as if the writer has some issues.

Honestly, CtD is a full subscription.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The "Brainless Sorority girls" sounds like the lament of a bitter jackass who couldn't get one to sleep with him.

And I heard of Pookas being insufferable from some vaults of RP horror story, but I thought it's like Malks where a decent concept gets ruined by stupid players.

But holy poo poo, they sound insufferable RAW

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh good god.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

pkfan2004 posted:

Just go for it man. You and I can play Good Cop, Gas-Masked Oppressor Cop. I'd like to see you finish it, it really is pretty neat.

And Australia is doing well enough to make up for it not being mentioned in UM.

The wildlife scared off the nasty critters

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Down With People posted:

Dishawis is a Twit

Considering his idea of winning an internet slapfight is accusing someone of being gay and casting curses, this seems par for the course.

Apparently the Unbound version of his gamebook is even more special!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

My god, he actually ripped off Videodrome for his lovely TTRPG, and most his evil is just petty or bizarre "Dance the goat dance"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Gimp masks aren't very sexy by nature.

But holy fucksticks - there's definitely something not right with the guys writing this.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The biggest problem with WLD is that it could have been so much better. I'm sure a lot of us reading these write-ups are going well that could have been fixed this way or that way. This is shovelware pure and simple. Hustle up a map and throw poo poo down. Don't actually plan how things interact. It's kind of sad actually.

Especially considering they go way out of their way to underpowered any PCs running through the dungeon. Have some treasure! Too bad you can't leave the drat dungeon to spend it on something good.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

AmiYumi posted:

Went back and edited the cover to Fairy Meat into my first post on the game, because why didn't I do that in the first place. I'll make a rules post later today, but instead of using the examples in the book, how about a little audience participation? Give me a couple of names and general ideas (along the lines of "Sparklepuff is the leader and likes to wrestle", "Jiggletwink is pretty and likes magic", or "Razzlewing is creepy and talks to spiders" - feel free to use the Fairy Name Generator for ideas) and I'll use those instead!

Dazzledew is inattentive and likes finding novel uses for plants

GenericServices posted:

I'd sure hate being a wizard in here. How many scrolls have actually gone by at this stage? You're hitting level ten (hypothetically, anyway) by these regions and I'm honestly not sure if you'd have found one scroll per level by this point. It's like they saw the whole "kick down doors, kill monsters, take their stuff" formula and stopped reading part-way through. Did these people even play D&D?

It really doesn't look like it, and one of the scrolls is a spell that's supposed to be banned by WLD design, so that's a kick in the teeth.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly even if DW and such would reduce the bulk of the book, the person running it would have to do much redesign on everything I don't think it's worth the effort.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

oriongates posted:

Yeah, playing it through with a different system really assumes that the problem is with 3.5. And while 3.5's system isn't doing the dungeon any favors, once you strip it away you're still left with a massive heap that ranges from mind-numbingly terrible to mediocre at best.

Between the crap loadouts for players to find, badly scaled encounters, gently caress you traps, no incentives to make a party want to do anything, the sheer amount of missing information that's needed - it's best to just turn the book into overpriced pulp.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The big thing I get from Everlasting is the writers are very, painfully unaware. No one on the team steps back and goes "You know what? This is actually kind of silly," from candle rituals to their opening fiction, it drips with the pretension of someone that thinks they got the deepest, best thing ever.

And IMHO, it's it's biggest flaw - it's so busy being dark, and important, and life-changing that they leave no room for fun.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What's obnoxious is all the space they wasted for the adventures of the pregens could've been used to clarify rules (there were bits my then GM found confusing) and go a little more in-depth about the gods.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Forums Barber posted:

I have a buddy who keeps getting super psyched about getting in a Scion group and then for some odd reason things fall apart one or two sessions later, rinse, repeat. i'm curious where the fail point is, personally.

the rule sets aren't very good and it's balanced extremely poorly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PleasingFungus posted:

Is there any way for the players to actually find out about these rules, other than by breaking them?

No - though I suspect players will think "Either this is going to help us control spiders or it's going to be a horrible trap"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I found TBZ to have been rather flippy as I was running an Onmoyji-type character (who I belated realized was somewhat like Garrus Varakian in concept). Unfortunately the game kind of fell apart.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 28, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Set is my favorite god in the egyptian pantheon because, yeah, he's a dick. But he's also the fiercest defender of Ra during the 12 hours of the night when everything gets crazy and Apep comes around. And then his brother dicks over the boss (in some cycles. Egyptian myth is pretty messy because it is old old old) who Set is buddies with and he's calling himself king of the gods.

Except for the versions where it's not Set, it's Typhon. And instead of Horus Heracles shows up and helps Isis superglue her husband back together.

Interesting thing is that Set is specifically a god of Foreigners, and his demonization came after several countries conquered Egypt.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

occamsnailfile posted:

He stopped long enough to wipe his eyes and that was long enough that Mjolnir came out with a shortened handle. Since it's a warhammer it's meant to be wielded with two hands; the short handle is a flaw then, since it can only be held with one. Thor was just so strong and badass that he could hold it. The dwarves won the bet with Loki even with the flawed handle, and they were supposed to take his head--but Loki argued they couldn't do this without touching his neck, which was not part of the bargain. The Norse gods get some cool new items, and Loki lives to prank another day.

Some versions I heard, while they couldn't take his head, he annoyed them so much that they stitched his mouth shut.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wild Cards?

An super-smart Archaeopteryx that someone created out of amber-extracted DNA as a fad pet - it can talk like a parrot and likes tricking people.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think the huge problem is that the writers of these games decide because a Sith used those powers, it's automatically evil and never really thought about it any further.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What gets me about RIFTS is how... careless it is. They don't seem to give a drat about making anything consistent or actually fun for the players, but rather how ridiculously badass they can make something.

There's some ridiculously cool ideas, but as someone who never played it - it does not look fun to play

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 23, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

honestly, California is hosed when the aquifer is drained dry.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Have to say as potentially triggering as Ghoul's darkest side is, I find the mortal's sthick almost as bad as it's about someone more or less deliberately courting an abusive relationship.

It's an amazing sounding game, but definitely needs the right kind of players.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Like if I ever ran a Monsterhearts game, I'd probably banned Mortal as it's theme hits a little too close to my family history.

As I said before, this is an amazing sounding game, but you really need to know your players.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That was my thought, especially with the visions power.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Where exactly the War on Drugs comes into this is unexplained. False flag? Do the confiscated drugs just go back into the system, even though it seems like a waste? I'm probably overthinking this crazy conspiracy theory plot.

That's the thing about most conspiracy theories, they hate Occam's Razor. Think of the "Moon Landing is Faked" and Any number of False Flag conspiracies, they're needlessly convoluted, and require impossibly precise circumstances in order for it to work, and often times defies logic.

I had a classmate who was a former methhead that turned Fundamentalist Christian AND Conspiracy Theorist - before he got kicked out for harassing Catholics, it was amazing to hear these kinds of things coming out of his mouth when it wasn't loving infuriating.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Counterpoint: James Bond movies - just as ridiculous but it's treated seriously. Some days you want to play Thief and kill everyone without them knowing you exist, other days you just want to drive around St. Petersburg in a tank.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bieeardo posted:

Worse. When the were-storms come, it starts raining men.

Worse? I'd be crying Hallelujah if that happens.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If you aren't disinclined to do it, I'd love to see a write up for the Skins for the Skinless to see just how bad they are and a lesson on how NOT to make skins for anyone interested in MH.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I heard Truenamer was a worthless class, but I didn't expect it to be almost completely unplayable RAW.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Flavivirus posted:

Maybe the focus is on someone who obsesses over saving people from things when they're the true danger? Sometimes you're hacking someone's Facebook to "prove" their boyfriend is cheating on them because you're paranoid the boyfriend's abusive, sometimes you're putting on mask and terrorising people so they go nowhere near the "haunted" ruins and you save them from the monster.

So the Nice Guy(tm) who thinks all the guys the object of his affections go for are assholes and never realize the reason they don't get laid is because they're a creepy obsessive freak?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cythereal posted:

Isn't that the Witch?

I think the Witch is more that loner who acts like they're superior to everyone else and somehow special to cover up feelings of loneliness

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

god. Bliss Stage - brings up some bad memories.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

gently caress that poo poo. "Magical Autist" stories should be taken out and shot along with their writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

theironjef posted:

Steven King would be more bullet than man.

point still stands. Yes, I am not a fan of the man's work.

• Locked thread