Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seriously, none of the Dautains except for 'I wanna be young' can be really seen as evil.

I mean look at what made the cannibal snapped One night, after a particularly harrowing joke involving some baling wire, matchsticks, a pickup truck, and a Wayfare cantrip - that don't sound like a joke, that sounds like a murder attempt.

That's the problem with CtD, is all their whimsy and wonder examples sounds like horrific gaslighting and murder to people who aren't complete psychopaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think is they're using harpy, but they're really going for Fury - whose entire shtick is lashing out and tormenting wrong-doers.

But the pathos listed in Sex Move and Darkest Self isn't anywhere else, they're just vicious bullies because... because.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 2, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

problem, people don't play games to feel bad - if a player feels like a lovely person for using those moves, they will stop having fun. And if one person stops having fun, it echoes in a game group.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

"Surprise Jedi are evil!" really does fit with Wick's MO, nice people can't have nice things, and there's no such thing as a good guy.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Uuuugh. the way he described "Happy Fun Ball" is just gross. That condescending slime just oozing and some barely concealed lust.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and it's obvious for a game 'taking a piss out of both sides' what camp he's fully in.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And people misunderstanding censorship and speech issues:

You got a right to be an asshat of the highest degree, we have the right to tell you to shut the gently caress up and grow up. He has the right to make a lovely product, DriveThru has the right to refuse to stock it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mind if I use that?

go ahead

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

We should leave our trashing of people purely in the verbal realm.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh hey - the Quiet Year! I heard about it a couple years ago, thought it sounded really cool - and completely blanked on it's name, so I couldn't find it until now.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

AmiYumi posted:

I got 2-3 episodes into that, thinking "it's GAINAX, I know what I'm getting into, it's gotta be good!" gently caress no. Just creepy and horrible, like someone thought Hayate the Combat Butler or Maid Guy needed to be less funny and more catered towards pedophiles.

There's your problem, GAINAX has some well-loved series in a sea of awful poo poo, and lot of the good staff left.

Maid is - there's a lot of skeevy poo poo in the examples, but the difference between it and say Black Tokyo is that you can strip out the skeevy elements from Maid and still get a goofy rules-light competitive game based on exploiting quirks.

strip the creep from Black Tokyo - what is there left? the bare bones of a d20 system?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

theironjef posted:

It's on the recent request list along with the regular suspects you'd expect. Commenting listeners want FATAL, they want Bliss Stage, they want various flavors of D&D, Rifts, and GURPS. Also a surprising amount of requests for Twilight Imperium, which I'm sure we'll honor at some point.

My deep fear with Bliss Stage is that everyone recommending it says "If you guys didn't like this one sexy anime game, you WILL like this other sexy sex game."

Nah - unless it's that one guy who is always talking about making a Bliss Stage Visual Novel, most people tend to knock it. While Maid can be played PG-13, Bliss Stage is explicitly about emotional manipulation and underaged sex

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Erebro posted:

The really hilarious bit is that you can spin "Lovecraftian god" to teenager metaphor; the Complete Outsider. They enter at the exact bottom of the social hierarchy because they've never been a part of it, maybe they were at a much different school or even homeschooled for much of their childhood. This is obviously a bad thing, but the thing is that the Outsider understands how ridiculous the whole dance is. They're something alien to the social web, something who can examine it clinically and guess at who people actually are beyond its bounds, and that scares the social web.

Yes, this also means the Lovecraftian God is the sane Skin. Darkest Self could easily be losing patience with the whole thing combined with feelings of worthlessness from how it's affected them anyway, focused into tearing apart social bonds and identities (which may or may not involve whispering forbidden knowledge into the ears of the cheerleading squad, more likely switching incriminating items around).

Serious - this is actually a good skin concept. Think Mean Girls only Lohan's character didn't get caught up in the social bullshit. If I actually knew how to make skins, I'd slam something out along those lines.

Call it the Deep One or Yith

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 23, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

homeschool kids tend to come in two favors - those that got pulled out due to bullying/utterly incompetent public school or children of complete wonks (either Fundamentalists who are scared of science or dipshit hippies who believe they got an Indigo Child) and each bring their own baggage.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I liked Tennant's Doctor, but his season is when the flaws in Russell T Davies' "vision" and direction really started to rear it's ugly head.

But it's amazing how many people tried to wedge square pegs into round holes, wouldn't be surprised there's a Brony Playbook.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

theironjef posted:

Now guys he didn't originally say a pony play book. He said a brony play book. So a character with moves to like wear awful t-shirts, perceive persecution where persecution is not, and roll to search for things that don't already have pony sex added to them and then add that.

she.

What I mean by brony is that it's a pony playbook with all the uncomfortable grease of brony leaking from it

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

A lot of games did it, it's notable the designers of Planescape knew what happened when you stat something: Players will wanna kill it. They left the Lady Statless for this very reason - also to help keep her origins a mystery.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Even 'less then they're worth' is more money then he had actually have at the moment, unless the asking amount is insulting, there's no reason not to take the offers.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Holy gently caress, he needs to lay off the thesaurus.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Anyone have a good idea why CP2020 went with making up "Night City" instead of using one of the actual West Coast cities? That was always something that annoyed me.

Probably as so not to irritate/break immersion with the people who actually live in those cities by getting things wrong?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's really annoying when it does get everything wrong. The Red Dawn remake claims to be in Spokane Washington, but was filmed somewhere in Michigan and claimed Ballard (a Seattle neighborhood) was in the city, and even claimed the state's in the midwest.

That's an extreme example of getting geography wrong, but it certainly made any critics in the state who might be charitable go 'you know what? gently caress you guys, if you can't be assed to pretend you know something, no stars'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Much as I love Highlander, it really wouldn't make a good game

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Why do people think a tabletop game is a place to espouse their crackpot fringe political leanings? A Sci-Fi Fursona game is gonzo enough on it's own, but all that hardcore Libertarian crap....

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Lot of furries tend to be free-love peace and hugs twits, annoying but harmless - but then you get these weird high-libertarian and arch-conservative lunkheads who makes your head hurt from the dissonance.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I like how we got in expecting to mock furry wankbait, and instead it's anarcho-capitalist libertarian poo poo obviously written by an upperclass twit who never had to struggle in his life.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

While it ends up making you wonder how the NPCs even put their pants on if you weren't around to help them, it's miles better then being someone's coffee bitch despite technically having the power to call on the gods or sink the entire land because those guys are just bigger and badder then you forever.

There's a time and place for all-powerful NPCs (like the Lady of Pain), but players shouldn't feel like they're fancy gofers or extraneous to the plot

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Isn't that the one where it ends with the Computer's destruction?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

or if it's the MK game for the 64 'throw EVERYONE then get your rear end kicked by Montaro because he can't be tossed' (I was fairly young and not good at fighting games)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

theironjef posted:

The first steampunk stuff was legit punk, like Diamond Age and Difference Engine, because they were both about people rebelling against Victorian-style society via underground technological advances. But these are cosplay people, and it's all so easily supplanted by turning the whole thing into Goth + Brown + Gears.

Goth + Brown drives me nuts! Look at Victorian Houses, Look at fashion plates! They are not brown. They're colorful, they're gaudy, the Victorians loved and abused color. The only ones gaudier then they were the Rococo-period folks. Also I cry at how many neat old clocks were destroyed to have their gears hot glued onto a cheap-o top hat without rhyme or reason.

And there is also a shocking amount of imperialism apologism or just ignorance of how lovely the period was if you weren't an aristocrat. The rigidity of what is proper 'steam punk fashion' and the ignorance pretty much drove me out of the local scene.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Of course it's gonna have a gratuitous vixen rear end in the art (and implication she's topless too), but this is a game that isn't pandering at all, no siree.

And christ there's so many 'Here's the rules but WAIT WAIT you can just ignore these rules', it not only says 'we hadn't play tested this' but 'we're trying to please everyone and don't care if it means our system will snap in a stiff breeze'.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Which is wasted when they got the Lackadaisy Artist, who is probably one of the most talented artists around who does funny animal stuff.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Man, now I really want a tabletop game that uses Brutal Legend's Premise

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Then you got the OWerewolf ST who insisted on their players staying in character wherever they meet, and demand pack order obedience.

I think Vampire avoided a lot of the worst because of the existing vampire subculture who would laugh at any babybats who waltzed in and claim they're a Torrie who posed for Pre-Raphaelite painters or poo poo.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Thanks, you just made the historian geek in me cringed.

As probably anyone who drowns themselves into this fake-reality poo poo - if I had a dime for every reincarnated claimant who said they were burned at Salem....

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The way White Wolf treats it - everything bad (except Hitler) was a secret Vampire/Spiral Black Dancer/Technocracy plot in history, and every good thing was a Werewolf (Children of Gaia)/Traditions backed faction

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Thuryl posted:

It does depend on the setting, but plenty of FF games don't really say or do anything to suggest that access to holy power is limited to good people. I mean, Exdeath in FFV can cast Holy on you in battle, and he's about as far from being good as you can get (he's even weak to Holy himself).

Then you got Kuja who can also cast Holy - and general access to both black and white magic spells. Holy and White Magic is definitely not 'good people only' as a general rule in the FF multi-verse

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

where are his legs? I see his feet, but not his legs

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pretty much TSR was in bad shape, Williams just dealt the deathblow, I suspect a more competent or at least, a less greedy CEO might've had a chance to reverse the downward spiral

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Granted, can't blame those guys for being upset about finding out part of the merchandise they paid for but never got had gotten sent to the loving dump. Still unprofessional to be openly angry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Elric was written as a counter to the Big, Brawny and "Dumb" Barbarians like Conan (who wasn't as much dumb as he was cunning and not booksmart) that was popular at the time, and as ultimately a tragic hero-villain? But a lot of nerds project on him pretty hard.

• Locked thread