Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Regarding the doll people, yes, they aren't handled quite as well as they could be, but not as badly they could be. I certainly felt it was viable to play one in a non-creepy way (and she was created for a different purpose than companionship anyways). I'll discuss it a little more once Prof's actually covered the relevant parts of the setting.

And it's interesting trivia that the artist actually stopped drawing stuff like the cover after he got a girlfriend, if I correctly recall what I heard.

Yeah my second character was one of these doll people, she was given to a Master Martial Artist as a gift, and he ended up training her, much the the chagrin and jealousy of his pupils. When he died his students took out their anger on her, using her as a training dummy. In the process she got injured/broken and had various parts replaced with kijin stuff, making her an even more deadly training dummy. Eventually someone came through and dealt with these jealous pupils and she went off in the world to try and understand her place.

This character had a massive Empathy, and the fighting style that let her use Empathy to fight, and ended up with tons of aiki and then burned for all the kiai and went Asura. This character was my second character and replaced the Guyver like character I had that used a Demon-of-Battle annelid and the one 5 karma archetype that automatically had the Dead Box filled, which does things but makes it more likely to outright die. This character lost control and was sniped by another character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Don't forget that Sean K. Reynolds, aka must nerf monks whenever I can, apparently had something to do with the book. And has more or less gone on record of saying that he purposefully made options terrible so that no one would actually play as monsters.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Both interesting, and in general probably better than their early stuff. At least more interesting. Too bad most of the stuff in Tome of Magic was unusable, or at least subpar powerwise.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Asimo posted:

Yeah, pretty much. There was really no reason to ever play most monster races with ECL considering what you give up in class levels, let alone the ever important caster levels.

Ironically this is something Basic handled a lot better thanks to the "race=class" thing and much simpler rules. The Gazetteers and Creature Crucibles added all sorts of exotic options that weren't horribly imbalanced due to this.

Yeah I haven't had a lot of experience with Basic and stuff like that, but a lot of those look interesting. Want to try the Treant, and maybe Sea Giant or whatever it was called, probably some others as well. But well I only play on the forums and no one has run a game allowing these.

50 Foot Ant posted:

Ignoring ECL could work. Hell, there was tons of workaround posted that made monsters viable PC's.

poo poo, having a party of monsters taking the war to the pinkskins/smoothskins were great.

I still want to play in an all monster party. I have wanted to build a treant monk, or gelatinous cube monk but gelatinous cubes have no playable rules, but hey they made a fiendish gelatinous cube monk for one of their articles.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

I had a game where some of the players used those Oslecamo's Improved Monster Classes, some seem a bit powerful while others seem fairly balanced. I have wanted to try them myself, but never had a DM willing to let me. A while back some of us on IRC had talked about how a all monster game using them might be interesting.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

I can't remember if I ever actually got to play Spycraft 2.0, I know I tried to run it once, but it seemed interesting. Also apparently there is a supplement that includes playing as basically Transformers. Now that is something I really wanted to try.

This also reminds me, did Fantasy Craft ever get done in Fatal & Friends? I looked in the table of contents in the OP and didn't see it. Though that might be because the table of contents hasn't really been getting updated.

Man I wish someone would run Fantasy Craft again, or the Spycraft Transformers stuff.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

I think there was a third one as well, but I don't remember what 80s cartoon it covered.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Oh yeah Light of Olympus I think had some stuff like medusas, centaurs and minotaurs, might be port-able to Fantasy Craft, not sure. And Classic Fantasy had things like elves, which are probably a bit different than the versions in Fantasy Craft.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

I am looking forward to Teenage Mutant Ninja Dinos. Or maybe less teenage and less ninja, but still badass mutant dinos. I still kind of want to try a TMNT game playing something like a Dino. Or from the core book maybe an elephant for something relatively big and strong, or I kind of like the idea of a Porcupine, with its natural armor and spikes for when things try to punch or kick it. But I don't think anyone is likely to run another Palladium game, even if it did involves mutant dinos.

Don't think I have had a chance to look at the Transdimensional book with the Dinosaurs, so I am looking forward to it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

How about a Trollkin Stone Sorcerer/Pugilist oh wait that wasn't on the list, then how about a Trollkin Stone Sorcerer/Fell Caller.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Yeah I want to try the Path of War stuff. Speaking of Path of War, and of spellcasting fighters, there was a playtest for a Path of War expansion class, I believe to be released in a followup book. Away from the materials right now but it was definitely more magical than the normal Path of War and Tome of Battle stuff. Had a feature that added Int to either melee attack rolls, AC, or something else I can't remember off hand. It eventually got a choice of movement features like enhancement to speed, or flight, or teleporting as a move action.

It got stances and maneuvers like the other PoW classes. Some were choices already available to the other classes, some we're new and more magical, including a stance that put up mirror images, stances or maneuvers where they used someone else's defenses, hitting touch AC but also being hit on touch AC, etc. The class had a curse mechanic where certain abilities would curse the target and other abilities, stances and maneuvers would either only work on a cursed target or would have additional effects on a cursed target. They also ended up with an extended reach or something.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Twice I tried running this game. I really want to actually try playing it though. Maybe this Fatal and Friends writeup will get someone interested in running a PbP game of it. Also at this point I almost feel like you should throw in a fourth person, a Village Hero or Would be Knight for a bit of a meat shield. Although that would require reworking the sitting order, and thus who gets what guest starring/bonus.

EDIT: Also I was unaware of the Bear playbook. Forget the Would Be Knight and Village Hero, clearly this group needs a talking Bear friend.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 30, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Yeah a Party of Talking Bear, Nobleman's Wild Daughter, which is yeah another great playbook, and Witch's Apprentice sounds like it could be fun.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Huh yeah. Last time I read through this stuff was sometime before that movie came out, so I didn't even think about that. Also just took a look at the Bear playbook, which is up for free on their site, and it is not a warrior class. It is actually one of those multiclass Warrior-Rogue ones. And some of its results involve cooking.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

What does

quote:

1 The blacksmith was kind to you, and you often sat at his forge, trading stories.

or

quote:

6 The innkeeper loved your strange songs and tales.

sound like to you?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Kai Tave posted:

Having gone and examined the Village Bear playbook for myself it turns out it was made as a thank you to Benjamin Baugh, aka Bailywolf, a game designer and author most notable for Monsters & Other Childish Things and The Kerberos Club, as well as regularly championing the inclusion of talking, adventuring bears in games over on RPGnet. I'm not making that last bit up. So that explains that.

For a moment I thought that you'd suddenly gained beef with Michael Moorcock and I was about to congratulate you on your incredible achievement but I'm guessing you mean one of the authors of Stormbringer: the Game.

So Bailywolf made the Village Bear playbook, looking for discussion of it I came across the RPGnet thread where they were talking about Beyond the Wall, and where Bailywolf was working on the Bear playbook, and apparently also a The Curious Wyrm playbook which sounds like playing as a Hatchling Dragon. Looks pretty nice, but still doesn't actually look finished.

But yeah if someone ran Beyond the Wall I would love to roll up and play a Village Bear.

Xelkelvos posted:

Better question: Is Sir Bearington a possibility?

Not entirely sure what this means but I will try to answer.

Grab one of :

quote:

3 You were part of a mighty warrior culture, fighting wars against dark creatures far from the lands of men. +2 Str,
+2 Con, +1 Cha
or
10 One of your parents was the champion of your tribe, ending wars before they began in single combat with enemies. +2 Str,
+1 Con, +1 Cha,
Skill: Athletics

Then maybe one of:

quote:

3 Being a kind hearted soul, you believe that men and beasts can help one another. +2 Cha, +1 Dex
or
7 You wanted to fight the ancient enemies of your race. +1 Str, +1 Con,
+1 Int

Then probably:

quote:

7 You served your time with a human militia, aiding them in the protection of their lands. +1 Str, +1 Con,
+1 Cha

Then the most knightly sounding option for the next roll would be:

quote:

2 How to defend themselves from enemies as yet unknown. +2 Str, +1 Con,
Skill: Alertness

Next would probably be one of:

quote:

2 You use your thick hide to great advantage to turn your enemies’ attacks. +2 Con,
Knack: Defensive Fighter
or
6 You use your mighty paws to great advantage and strike down your enemies. +2 Str,
Knack: Great Strike

Then one of:

quote:

1 Though it pained you to do so, you protected a group of villagers from a maddened lesser bear
in the forest. The friend to your right helped you in your fight, and gains +1 Str. +2 Str
or
A band of wicked men from the south attacked the inn in the dark of the night as you were
passing near the village. You put yourself in harm’s way to do the right thing. The friend to
your right was emboldened by your heroism and stood by your side, and gains +1 Con. +2 Con

And finally probably one of:

quote:

1 You will end forever the threat of the violent northern raiders. +2 Str,
specially made leather
armor (+2 AC)
or
3 You will rid the forests of wicked men and make them safe for good humans. +2 Con,
a jar of special mead

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 30, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Okay then, keeping in mind Village Bear starts with a 5 Charisma instead of 8, we would probably pick:

quote:

12 You lived in a forest filled with social beasts of all types who shared a culture all their own. +2 Cha, +1 Dex,
+1 Int, +1 Wis

quote:

3 Being a kind hearted soul, you believe that men and beasts can help one another. +2 Cha, +1 Dex

quote:

1 The blacksmith was kind to you, and you often sat at his forge, trading stories. +2 Cha, +1 Str
or
7 You served your time with a human militia, aiding them in the protection of their lands. +1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha

quote:

4 The proper method of boasting about one’s mighty exploits. +2 Cha, +1 Int,
Skill: Boasting

While this is a Warrior-Rogue multiclass it doesn't have a huge selection of Skills, and Boasting is probably the most social skill it gets.

quote:

5 You fight like a truly wild beast and bewilder your attackers. +2 Cha,
Knack: Defensive Fighter

This helps your Charisma, and thus Charisma based checks like Bluffing or Boasting, but might not really be a prim and proper fighting style.

In which case maybe

4 With wit and instinct you avoid every trick. +2 Int,
Knack: Resilience

Would be better.

quote:

Again the first is better for getting a high Charisma

Your friend almost attacked you while out hunting but noticed something different about you,
and stopped to talk. You impressed the youngster with your glorious boasts about your history.
The friend to your right also made boasts about past deeds, both real and imagined, and
gains +1 Cha.
+2 Cha

Or maybe this one fits better

You encountered the friend to your right at a young age, sitting in the forest. You shared stories
and sat by a stream together. The friend to your right learned much and told the village
an amazing story about a talking bear, and gains +1 Int.
+2 Int

quote:

5 You will find one of the remaining great wyrms and befriend it. +2 Cha,
the world’s best riddle

If you take all the Cha +2 options, you actually end up with 18 Charisma, if I didn't miss count, and with the way skills work you would be rolling d20 and trying to get under your stat. Which would mean 18 Cha +2 Boasting would be trying to roll under a 20 on a d20, taking into account any modifiers for the roll. For Boasting at least. For things like lying, bluffing, etc it would be rolling a d20 and trying to get under 18. Though Village Bear can actually speak so don't really need to bluff people into thinking you are talking English.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Speaking of Beyond the Wall and the damage of weapons the Village Bear has this to say:

quote:

A Bear: Bears have a base AC of 13, may bite for 1d8
damage and claw for 1d6, may attack up to three times a
round in some circumstances, and have no hands.

Much like the non human races have some special advantages and disadvantages because of their race, the bear gets that. And looking at the bite and claw one would wonder why would they ever use the claws? But then it says they may attack up to three times a round in some circumstances. Presumably that would be claw, claw, bite. But it doesn't really specify what those situations would be.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Nessus posted:

Also I'm gonna post about NIGHTBANE, the Palladium RPG, later. Believe that.

Nice, looking forward to that.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Still disapointed in the things that didn't make it to the 5e Hackmaster, like Monks, and possibly some races. I think the 4e version had Half-Ogres as well.

So I would say a Gnome-Titan Fighter groin stomping to victory, and a Pixie-Fairie Thief.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dungeons the Dragoning, it is the game that should be run again, but not by me.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

I once made Diablo using Nightbane, but I don't think the options necessary are in the basic book.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

How does Self-Orctulized actually work? The items you get have uses, but it makes two of them permanent? So you can just keep using them? Or you still have limited uses but they recharge somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

I remember hearing one works kind of like a Shapeshifter option, presumably Alteration? Would like to see that.

• Locked thread