Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Skilled, and then all your skills are like Begging, Tramping, Wild Beard Ownership.

Excuse me, but he very clearly said vegabond, so that's either Wearing a Freak Mask, Shirtless In Seattle, and Spanish!? or Friend to All Cute Animals, Lectureship, and 'Organic'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It doesn't. Hedge magic is mundane and allowed by the consensus of reality so it doesn't invoke paradox. Awakened or enlightened magic are completely different and only superficially appear to be similar. The player wouldn't be incurring a residual backup of paradox from using hedge magic, just like a theoretical physicist wouldn't for writing up their theories on quantum mechanics. For those unfamiliar with Mage, those two might not seem related but they're two ends of the spectrum in the Ascension War.

Wick could run it that way but it's just a dick move all around, done for no reason other than to gently caress over the player.

So, I'm in the minority here who doesn't think Wick was being a total tool with the Nick scenario. Nick wanted to play a Mage; Wick started him out as unawakened but kinda magical. Violating the WoD theme doesn't bother me since it's full of swiss cheese holes already. He then used Nick's ambition to offer him what he wanted with a large raise in the stakes and it sounded like it was pretty exciting, but they all survived in the end.

Now, I think what ARB was getting at in the review was the posturing threat--"I'll kill you if I can" being kind of a disingenuous way of explaining the plan to seriously endanger the PCs if they go down this road. The other problem was that Nick's choice plunged the whole party into extreme peril, and I hope there was table discussion with the other players about this decision before it was made.

So Wick still comes off as a smug jerk but I feel like this story shows he has learned at least a little from his spine-snapping mother-killing days in Champions.

Really this whole book comes off as a whole lot of :smaug: smeared liberally over a few bits of genuinely good advice, and really poorly-researched historical comparisons. I'd expect no less from the creator of Legend of the Five Rings of course. (no hate for 5R, but its issues have been covered in this thread a lot already)

• Locked thread