System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I've always wanted to see somebody actually dig into Phoenix Command and its ilk. It was real infamous back on RPG.net but I'd only heard hear-say and rumor about what it was like.

Also, one of these days I should finally get back onto the Call of Cthulhu review train. Moving, getting a new job, and all sorts of real-life adventures and such got in the way. (Also a lengthy and highly successful Trail of Cthulhu game still in progress.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

In the 90's, everybody wanted to rip off Jack Kirby but were really ripping off Rob Liefeld, who claimed to be imitating/tributing Kirby but was blazing his own distinctively idiotic art trail. Jack Kirby's art has a complex austerity to it, consistently imaginative. Rob Liefeld has a toolkit that entirely compensates for his drawing inabilities (e.g. pauldrons to avoid drawing shoulders, one glowing eye so they don't have to match up, etc.) and keeps hitting the same three notes over and over again.

Let's just be thankful there's a relative lack of broccoli puff and literally-Wolverine hairstyles.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I figure Wick would just throw a hissy and quit and write an extremely inaccurate story about how a bunch of powergaming jerks couldn't sufficiently immerse themselves in worlds of his creation.

As for settings: Unknown Armies is the only setting I can think of that I'd run basically unchanged, either in terms of specifics or in presumptions about game structure. UA hits this sweet spot for me where it does everything I wanna do as hard as I wanna do it. For most other settings I find myself tweaking things to one degree or the other, usually in favor of giving the PCs a bit more agency/ability to kick rear end, or making the setting less complex/more streamlined 'cause politics is generally not my bag.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

"You can create any kind of transhuman adventure furry you like! Asterisk some restrictions apply. Asterisk it's mostly restrictions."

If they wanted to justify the zero-effort robots, they could try and pass them off as bioroids a la Blade Runner or Armitage. If you wanna be generous, you could claim they're based on the robots in Saga, who have metal skin tones and TVs for heads (with royalty having color TVs and peasants having black and white) but which are otherwise human-like and biological, including the ability to have children and get sick and die of dysentery.

Speaking of Saga, though: can you make Ghus in Hc Svnt Dracones?

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sure, but why would you want to? I mean maybe if somebody had a gun to your head to play the drat thing, I guess...?

In some grim timeline where somehow Hc Svnt Dracones was the best option compared to basically anything, you'd have to make the best of a bad situation somehow. Though, yeah, asking someone to subject themselves to think about HSD more than necessary was cruel of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

And of course they lump in the were-quetzals with the Hummingbird on the Left, when Quetzalcoatl refused human sacrifice in favor of sacrifice of art made from gold and quetzal feathers.

• Locked thread