Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

On the other hand, a spy game where I can't Solid Snake kill a helicopter and take out ten armed guards in an elevator with my bare hands and a kitchen knife is a spy game I really want no part of, so it depends on what you want I guess.

For my apocalypse world spy hack I ended up just giving the Cleaner an ability that says his melee attacks do area damage. If ten armed guards get in a lift with the Cleaner and he stabs one of them, they all get stabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

anti_strunt posted:

Hideo Kojima doesn't know from intersectionality.

edit: intersexynality

edit 2: it should also be noted that Kojima is a sheltered nerd with very little knowledge or understanding of the world around him beyond gun statzz and mawkish hand-wringing :smith: over all the bad stuff :smith: in the world. He shouldn't be expected to produce any coherent statement on real socio-political issues, but if you keep rambling long enough and impassionately enough some people will assume that you must have something to say, even if they can't quite make out what it is...

The closest he ever got to making a point was in 2, and that was a point about video games, in a video game, by a video game maker, for video game players. That's about the reach of his analytical insights. (Personally I also though the issue was handled far more deftly, not to mention more succinctly, by Hotline Miami.)

The point being that the average gamer has a four or five digit body count because somebody on screen told them to do it and in Milgram experiment terms we'd all be murderers in the next world war? That was the point MGS2 was trying to make? I always assumed it was something to do with, like, how can you tell you're not dreaming right now, maaaaaaan.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I vote for Warrior. Fighters were the core of old school dungeon crawls and I'm interested to see Torchbearer's take on them.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. I remember playing in a Hunter game briefly using the oWoD and playing a firefighter-turned-hunter, and learning "axe to the face" ends up being more effective against classic vampires than pistols and rifles. It turns out a neonate with a little Fortitude can still wreck most mortals' poo poo, to say nothing of vampires with actual powers.

As someone coming from nWoD where vampires are pretty much the chump shitters of the supernatural world, oWoD and its vampire supremacy is really weird. Like, sure, Mages are Mages and Werewolves are unkillable bulldozers, but Fortitude, Potence, Celerity and some of the unique clan disciplines are loving bananas. Holy poo poo.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

The Deleter posted:

If you don't play the battlebabe as a smouldering sexy male that defeats enemies with a glance and a single bullet, I send you a dissapointed letter explaing your poor RPG choices.

I'm not joking. :argh:

First time I played Apocalypse World, the Battlebabe was just a guy who'd seen tapes of old James Bond movies and based his life around that. He was on an eternal quest to find an Aston Martin and spent all of his barter having all the dirt and blood cleaned off his tuxedo every couple of days. I quite enjoyed that character.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
oWoD's position is "all these games take part in the same universe, but the rules and fluff doesn't let that happen"
nWoD's position is "none of these game take part in the same universe, but the rules and fluff supports it if you want"

That's actually hyperbole and not really that true at all, but it's true that that was the intention for nWoD at least.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Bibliomancers and Personamancers don't get blasts :ssh:

Unless they get tonk enough to make up their own blasts. Then things get interesting. This is your weekly reminder that Unknown Armies owns.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Is it just me or is that faults table in Genius really loving stupid? Like, "renders your device useless" stupid.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Fatebinding existing was pretty much the only evidence Scion ever gave for what the world featuring demigods looked like. You had to remain in the shadows because Fatebinding was so punishing. Like, if you used Epic Appearance to gently caress somebody's wife and then laughed in his face and beat him half to death with superpowers - or hell, even beat him to death - Fatebinding goes "right, well obviously you're the bad guy in this story and that guy's the avenging hero" and if your Legend is high enough, he juices up and becomes impossible for you to kill in that Fate will just keep ensuring that he lives. He shows up when it's most inconvenient for you, fucks you over with Fate-contrived weaknesses and never, ever stops even if you kill him or trap him in hell or something.

Don't show off to mortals in Scion, yo.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Another angle that jumps out at me would be the question of whether or not only objective Good is capable of doing good. A lot of the princess quotes have looked down on hunters for being morally ambiguous, potentially psychotic killers who lurk in the shadows hunting other denizens of the World of Darkness, and there aren't many hunters likely to pass Sailor Moon's magical crystal test. Some may in fact be objectively Evil. But does that make them incapable of fighting for good? Can the genuine spark of hope and objective Good in the World of Darkness afford to condemn them alongside the things they hunt?

There's room there for a big speech from a low Morality hunter with a maxed out Hunter's Code about how they'll be damned if some witch's magic crystal is going to declare that they're on the naughty list and not fit to save other human beings' lives from predation by monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

oriongates posted:

Once you've lost between 25% to 30% of your Wound Points the GM tells you that you now have a -10% shift to your stats. Once you've lost 60-75% of your wound points the penalty increases to -20%. Oddly enough this only affects your Stat rolls...your skills are explicitly not affected which actually makes the penalty fairly toothless: almost all rolls in UA are skill rolls, not stats.

Not quite as toothless as it first seems. Skills aren't allowed to be higher than their linked stat. If you have 60 Speed and 55 Firearms, and you take enough damage to be on -20%, your Speed is now 40 and so is your Firearms.

• Locked thread