Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LornMarkus posted:

For real, Bleach is still the mental example I go to when I'm thinking of "absurd tier of setting power." It exemplifies the pitfalls and issues even better than DBZ because at least there it's only the villains that use armies of guys who are literally incapable of hurting any significant threat.

Toriyama at least saw where the power creep was going and tried to kill off Goku so the series could be about the half-Saiyans, Vegeta, and Piccolo as a more ensemble cast rather than revolving around him, but the fans revolted and that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Which Nilknarf is Saitama?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Do they have to be from manga or anime? Because I want to make Kazuma Kiryu: Dark Revenger/Poorly Exported.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I KNEW I had heard that name before. I guess I surpressed my memory of that rear end in a top hat.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Please keep posting Play Dirty 2, it's been too long since there's been something really loving awful posted in this thread.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

In my experience, most PC's are going to use both hands for weaponry, shields, or spellcasting, so either someone is designated torchbearer beforehand or the wizard or whatever casts Light.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's also sunrods, which everyone seems to forget exist.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Crasical posted:

Everburning Torches/ other gear with Continual Flame on them are extremely cheap by magic item standards and very useful, so I've never had a party using mundane light sources past level 2 or so.

Sunrods don't generate any heat, so you could just stick one in your pocket if you needed to free up your hand though. It mostly depends on when the party's cleric decides to start using a shield.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Revealing a player's mentor figure to be them from an apocalyptic future seems a much better twist without the player knowing beforehand, but that wouldn't get "The lesson" across I guess (Though I don't see how the former option is going to do it any better). I actually like that LOT5R twist, but add the family dynamics and the implications of the cat carrier metaphor and it, um, hmm...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

Like there are a number of ways to do things like that which won't feel like a huge waste of time if the plan doesn't go off perfectly

Do it as a flashback sequence after the big reveal, showing the dark future that awaits if they don't follow Carah Sonner's advice.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

City with a single letter name is also a thing in the One Punch Man series; Saitama lives in City Z (Which is basically a burned out shell because of how many monsters show up there), while City A is where the Hero Association HQ is based. A couple others get destroyed in the early issues.

I'm sure there's a rationale, I'm just not sure what it is.

It's a Japanese/Anime thing- I'd say it's a cultural or legal thing, but plenty of media uses exact locations. OPM is almost certainly parodying that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Smug rear end in a top hat posted:

Believe it or not, I have friends. Yes, after all the nasty things you’ve heard me say and do—only a third of which are actually true—there are people who still speak with me and even enjoy my company.

Oh go gently caress yourself.

I'm in total agreement with you- Wick is right, but he is such a titanic rear end in a top hat and goes on for so long that it becomes annoying, and half of it is just his vendetta against D&D. I've forgotten what started that hate, by the way.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So when he does something nasty to a character, it doesn't feel like the character ever had a chance to escape that fate. Midnight? Midnight was going to end up a blood faucet to vampires. There wasn't anything she could do. There was nothing his Champions players back in Play Dirty could do to stop Jefferson Carter until he wanted them to. He's telling a story and you're just getting to pitch in with dialogue.

Wick's just a built-up version of those GM's who run things like a PC game. Maybe I'm projecting, but the main plot of Baldur's Gate II feels exactly like his style of "No, gently caress you, this is happening and you can't stop it no matter how little sense it makes".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"I ran an actually okay Changeling game until I decided I wanted to play Pendragon so I moved everyone into that because I'm an rear end in a top hat. The End."

I think this is Wick's first true story, conveniently leaving out how the other players reacted to this switch.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, wow, that's awful. He probably thinks that makes people hate his villain instead of just him.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

He has a whole story about how he overcome his fear of Finger as a child in the book, but I excised it because it's a pretty irrelevant tangent.

They why didn't you excise the rest of the book? :v:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did Orkworld have all of that stuff, though? There's storygame aspects to it, but it seems to just be "D&D but bad good and good bad because clever".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Wick is a embittered wannabe novelist/screenwriter who (to his credit) knows exactly what stories he wants to tell. He's just terrible at converting them to a form that provides equitable agency to his players.

Being terrible at it implies it's a thing he's trying to do. He wants to be editor-in-chief or director, the players will act in his story the way he wants it and ideally they'll agree and enjoy, but it's not required.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

theironjef posted:

Here is an Afterthought for you guys, hopefully you want to discuss favorite campaign settings with us.

I want to see that opening filmed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Moe Howard

Larry Fine

Curly Howard

Slab Bulkhead

Bold Bigflank

Blast Hardcheese

Aw, screw it, do all of them: http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Nicknames_for_Dave_Ryder

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

One thing that's kind of bizarrely impressive about Pathfinder is that they crammed so much random poo poo into it. Robots? Sure. Aliens? From which planet, we have several. Sentient Plant People specifically designed to be ridiculously delicious by their creator? Wizards shouldn't be trusted with nice things.

That's not even getting into the officially published adventure where you take a portal to 1920's-ish Russia in search of Baba Yaga and end up killing Rasputin.

Someone really liked Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

And is there a link to that adventure or a review of it, it sounds hilarious.

Falconier111 posted:

Madlander translations

I didn't think you'd actually do all of them, that's pretty good.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's a sidebar about playing Nephandi in Mage 20 that implies that, or at least that he thinks the game can work actual magic.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Another thing to note is that Unknown Armies was written in the late 90s.

M20 was written, oh, last year, the year before?

Gathering and revising content from the 90's or culturally stuck in it, and where it should have stayed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think I'll do a thread reboot later this evening for 2016, if there are no objections.

Taking suggestions for the thread title, in any case!

Fatal Friends 2016: The Neverending Storygame II: The Next Edition

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Fatal Friends 2016: The Neverending Storygame III: Dream Warriors

The Neverending Storygame III: Escape from Sprechenhaltestelle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Jesus Christ, I'm almost starting to look forward to when Desborough finishes his stupid Gor RPG so I can review that

PurpleXVI posted:

Desborough finishes his stupid Gor RPG

PurpleXVI posted:

Desborough Gor RPG

God help us all...

• Locked thread