Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Forgot about this thread for a year and a half. :psyduck:

Considering picking back up my old Heavy Gear 2e Let's Read because I still love that system, and I never actually got to the good parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

pkfan2004 posted:

A clairvoyant janitor/handyman. He has the ability to read people's histories, emotions and past thoughts through cleaning up their messes or scattering some of their trash and reading what falls out. It's not something he particularly understands how he does it, he just has some confusing mental images whenever he pulls an unpaid utility bill out of the trash.
There we go. Fixed it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Still wanna do a Best of Both Worlds version of WoD.
I think the best WoD system for "Best of Both Worlds" would probably be Vampire. You get the hierarchy and developed politics and mythology of Masquerade, and the touches of self-awareness and improved mechanics of Requiem. (Especially the reading-between-the-lines implications that a lot of the reasons things are the way they are is because almost every kindred is emotionally frozen at their mental age when they were embraced.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 17, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kavak posted:

I don't see how that helps with space combat, though. What kind of Disciplines would you give the Borg, anyway?
I can't tell if you're punning or if I misinterpreted a post somewhere.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Down With People posted:

('Consent is inconsequential')
Because that's just what every game table needs. An in-rules acceptance of bringing your creepy rape fetishes to the table.

Good Christ. A lot of these games, I can at least pretend that someone, somewhere, is having fun with them without jerking off. Even games like Maid still have potential to not be loving creepy as poo poo, with some skimming or skipping past certain parts.

But I'm not seeing how this could be anything but a Creepy gently caress Game For Creepy Fucks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Thropes are genuinely a pretty cool take on the werewolf/Hyde thing, and I'm a huge sucker for The Reanimator. They give off a kind of 'best parts of OWoD' vibe that I can't help but dig. UM could be almost decent if run in, like, FATE, and with some actual hope in the world.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Goddammit, the DBZ game actually sounds like if you tore it all down and rebuilt it from the ground up following very rough guidelines, you'd end up with something really drat fun. Why do I want to do this, F&F thread? I haven't even finished writing up my "all the rules in 10 minutes" CBSU&J:G system.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

oriongates posted:

I'll leave you with the depressing words of Jim Pinto, line developer and editor of the WLD:

"I've read the majority of the text at least twice, and this book is about as good as anything I ever do is going to get. This is my magnum opus."
I'm so sorry you had to go through that for us.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Would anyone be interested in Joints & Jivers (Blaxsploitation/Black Dynamite-type game) and/or Modempunk (Hackers-type)? They're both relatively short, and come in a joint PDF.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is nowhere near as big, but it's pretty close to as ambitious. It's pretty brutal as far as encounters go, but the writers are well aware of this and make special note of what the PCs and DM should expect and prepare for and such. If anyone is interested in a write-up of it, I could likely dig my copy out of the bookshelf.
I'd be very interested in this. I own and love the (patched) game, so I'm curious to see how the source material is different.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hm. Red Hand of Doom is pretty big. I dunno if anyone's done it yet or not. I probably could.

Edit Looks like it's uncharted territory. Cool. Yes, I know I have a Heavy Gear 2e thing I left abandoned months ago, I'll get to it... eventually. :effort:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Joints & Jivers, Part 0: Your mother would turn over in her grave if she were here to see this.
In 2009, a rather clever parody of old blaxpoitation B-movies called Black Dynamite was released in theaters, and it was good. Before long, a few people on /tg/, 4chan's Traditional Games board, decided they wanted to play a tabletop game based on the genre. Normally, this would result in a few grognards.txt posts and a well-worn lesson that the internet and race relations do not get along, but every so often, the stars will align, thirty virgins will be sacrificed under the shadow of a blood moon, and 4chan will do something worthwhile.

An anonymous poster, dubbed Funky Anon, cobbled together a simple set of rules. It was little more than just a few character archetypes and some simple “roll 1d6+modifier” rules, but it placated the thread. The story could have ended there, had Viral (of Engine Heart fame) not shown up, and made it into something more. With added depth, refinement, and careful navigation of certain problematic issues Joints & Jivers came into its own.

The game was, and is, still very clearly a send-up to the genre, but with much better handling of race than the 'source material'. Still, going in, I feel like I need to introduce its origins. It's an interesting game, and can be a blast to play with the right crowd, but in the wrong circumstances, it can make for a rather uncomfortable evening, as everyone has a slow, drawn-out realization that one of their friends is actually kind of incredibly racist.

Just a heads-up.

Next Time: Your bad-rear end self.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Baofu posted:

GARO is a live action show from Japan that's about this. Imagine Power Rangers if they were fighting horrible Lovecraft demons and there's occasionally naked boobs.
...that really describes a lot of series, you realize. I'm a toku fan, too, but that was far from the first thing I thought when I saw that description.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Joints & Jivers, Part 1: Who the hell is interrupting my kung-fu?
The year is 197X, the Age of Funk. And that's about all the description of the setting we get.

It's assumed that you'll know exactly what you're getting into when you pop open this PDF, as there is no introduction chapter at all, just a glossary with a few basic terms, and a mention that the GM in this game is referred to as the FunkMaster. The PDF itself, however, is formatted to look like it was made in the 70s, complete with a fake-typewriter font, and the entirety of the rules text being written in jive slang.

Still, to help ease the reader into the setting, there is a fake newspaper article on the first page that... you know what, there's no way my description can do it justice and the PDF's free on the Viral Games website anyways.

We then jump immediately into a character sheet, and “Chapter 1: Your bad-rear end self”, character creation. First comes a short personal section. Every character has to choose a Handle, what they go by, a Crib, where they chill, a Gig, what they do for a living, and, if the FunkMaster allows it, their Wheels, what they're driving. These are purely for show, as the stats for your Wheels are elsewhere on the page. As a minor flaw of the thrown-together design, it's not mentioned how you decide what your Wheels are until a couple more chapters in.

The meat of the system comes from the five main stats, called Scores. Three are appearance-based, Hair, Shades, and Threds. A naked man would have 0 Shades and Threds, but it's specifically mentioned that a bald character can still have a decent Hair score by having a good 'stache. The better your clothes and shades, the better your Threds and Shades. It's also briefly mentioned that getting roughed up can temporarily lower your stats (Hair especially) until you have a chance to fix yourself back up.

A starting character is given six points to distribute between the three, with the caveat that you can't have more than 4 points in Threds, but have to have at least 1 point in it. Only Threds has this restriction, strangely. Once you've made your decision, you look into the back of the book, and pick out clothes/shades that totals up to the points you've given yourself. You don't have to pay for your starting attire, but can buy better ones later.

The other two stats are an inherent part of who your character is. Hip-Cattery is a sort of social grace stat, gauging how well you show off your style. It is also the only stat that can never be lowered by outside circumstance. Funk is how much punishment you can both take and dish out, and is “so important it's on the character sheet twice” (more on that in a second). You get six points to split between the two, with no limitations.

Once you have your five Scores, they can be used to calculate your three Ratings (Funk, Tough, and Boogie,), derived statistics that are your actual modifier on checks in most situations. A check is defined as rolling a d6, and adding the appropriate rating. You can add Points to boost this, as well, but they aren't mentioned until next chapter, to prevent a complete sidetracking.

Funk is used when you perform “funky” actions like busting through a window or kicking a ninja in the head. When you want to hit someone else, you roll a d6, add your Funk rating, and compare it to their Tough rating. If your total is higher, you hit, and reduce their Funk by one. Otherwise, nothing happens. When your Funk hits 0, you're taken out, and it takes one week to recover. You also get back a single point of Funk, up to your maximum, each time you roll a 6 on a Funk check. The other two Ratings are a combination of two Scores, but Funk is all by its lonesome (hence it being the 'most important score'). It can, however, be increased by certain Threds (mostly things like karate gis).

Tough is your combat defense stat, and any Funk rolls need to be greater than your Tough for them to do any damage. Guns, however, only need to have their damage rating tie your Tough. Tough is also used when chasing someone, as an opposed Tough vs Tough check, with ties going to the chase-ee. If the chaser is in a vehicle, however, they get to use Funk instead, (as they're not chasing you, they're trying to run you down). Tough is calculated by adding together Shades and Threds, which creates an odd situation where getting your shades knocked off your face makes you more vulnerable to injury.

Boogie, as opposed to the other two Ratings, is purely for social situations, and is almost solely used in Boogie vs Boogie opposed rolls. The two in-book examples are trying to get a 'fine mama' to fall for you on the dance floor, or cruising around town showing off your Wheels. In both cases, ties still go to the defender. To calculate Boogie, you add your Hair score to your Hip-Cattery score. You can't have much Boogie with a messed-up 'do.

Next time: What the hell are kung-fu points?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

My friend was telling me about this game last week, isn't there a rule where if you take X damage you lose your Shades stat until you can pick them up off the ground, and if you take too much you lose it permanently until you buy new ones?
Kind of. There's no hard-and-fast rule for it, but it's brought up as something the Funkmaster can have happen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm pretty sure part of Gen's whole gimmick is that fireballs and Psycho Power and sonic boom kicks are party tricks you learn in your pursuit of ULTIMATE FIGHT MASTERY but eventually you surpass the need for them.
If that's the case, then E. Honda's closer to his power than anyone else in Street Fighter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Saguaro PI posted:

This is the man who said he couldn't hope to top Keep on the Borderlands
Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

So that didn't make much sense, but clearly we're in for a wild ride here. Chargen's layout is kind of a mess, isn't it? Next time, back to the Worldbook.
I've only ever made one or two TBZ characters, and I agree, character creation had me flipping back and forth much more than I should have been.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

JamieTheD posted:

Nope, don't believe that for a second! That would imply hope, or good design, or... something!
Every time I see a RIFTS book in this thread, I get tempted to run a game of it in a completely different system. Something like FATE or OctaNe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Next: How do you control a robot? By blowing it to hell, naturally.
I can't wait for explosion-based piloting systems to take off.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

It has some really clever ideas and some really neat writing and it was written by someone who is literally insane.
I love how C*ntinuum handles time travel, and from a "great ideas, terrible execution" angle, the skill-learning system too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Time to sperg out: what really gets me is the comparative lack of mineral resources in the Caribbean. Although for a setting about airplanes, it does work out pretty nicely that Jamaica has a huge bauxite lode.

I dunno, maybe the aristocrats of Azure are walking around with aluminum jewelery.
It was considered pretty valuable for a long time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Am I a bad person for wondering what genre Higurashi would be played in?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love that it'd imply "Fairy Tale" in the sense of "stories about magical creatures that will ruin your life; don't loving go into the woods after dark".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One more vote for Warrior. Especially a Warrior of the "Ranger of the North" flavor.

Pick whichever of the lady names would sound best said in hushed whispers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DH1e always made me wonder how it'd operate if you basically cut a 0 off of just about every single number except Fate and Wounds and used d10s instead of d100s.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Man, that reminds me of my ex. I didn't mind that she was a hipster, but the way she transformed into an owl every time we had sex was intolerable. It just wasn't going to work.
:nws: Me, too. :nws:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Have there ever been any fan-skins that were done well? All this talk about lovely ones is making me want to try my hand at it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cythereal posted:

:words: about the obligations of adulthood vs the loss of childhood
I think I'm going to actually work on that now.

In the meantime, my clumsy attempts at a "learning how to tell people what they don't want to hear" skin, the Seer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm flattered that you mentioned The Seer. Even more so that it was in defense of it (kind of).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Calaca as Cancer Kid is a fascinating take.
Agreed. I'd probably give playing that a shot ,depending on how it was written.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I got some critique, and took another shot at The Seer. I now present to you, The Seer, version 2. The skin's Thing being having an abusive childhood and/or teenage depression is now somewhat more explicit!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Having a same-sex partner is only a -1 piety hit
Of all the stupid, half-baked ideas in this book, why is this the only one that makes me actually angry?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the big issue is that the creators have no idea why d20 isn't a good system for this, so there's no real understanding of the rules, or any decent attempts to overcome the inherent flaws. It's yet another case of an RPG that could have been interesting with the proper care put into it, but as is, just reeks of :effort:.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Which also implies that non-virginity is a magical effect that can be dispelled. Which implies that sex is a magic ritual.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lucky. When try to have sex, all I get is Tasha's Hideous Laughter. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

theironjef posted:

I'm not sure but I think a lot of this is pulled directly from TMNT comics, so justifying it would be like trying to explain what Darth Vader was like when he was 10.
And thank God they never made a movie around trying to do something like that.

• Locked thread