Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A nitpick I also personally have with the Harpy is that it just isn't evocative of a supernatural beastie. Yeah, harpies are a known mythological critter that have been slain by many a dungeons and dragons character, but I'm not getting any fluff to go with the crunch here. Nothing about the harpy screams "bully to the point of driving someone to suicide." A demon or a revenant, sure, but the harpy just feels... random.

Doesn't help that the skin doesn't feel like it provides any pathos. You like to hurt people. You're really, really good at hurting people, physically and emotionally. The darkest self suggests a sort of abuse victim turns abuser mentality, but none of its moves play into the suggested mindset of "I'm never going to be happy, so no one else should be happy, either."

I think the Harpy works fine as a villain skin, which depending on your game's needs may not require any motivation more complex than "wants to make your life hell," but I wouldn't allow it as a PC skin in my gaming group as presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually, this is exactly what harpies did in Greek myth. They were torturers and punishers of the wicked. Their most notable appearance is when they were set to torment the prophet-king Phineus of Thrace, who Zeus blinded and put on an island with an eternal banquet, which the harpies would defile and steal and keep him from ever getting to enjoy. They are similar in this way to the Furies, but aren't the same critters. The harpies never especially cared if they were right to punish someone, see, they just enjoyed it.

Not that I like the Skin, mind, but it is accurate.

I stand corrected.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I dunno, obviously I'd give my group a heads up of 'hey this skin basically involves me being a horribly emotionally abusive dickbag to the point of poo poo like self harm and all, that cool?' but I don't think I, the player, would feel too bad playing a character like that. I just think that the skin fits the supernatural creature well, and being on point should be a good thing for this stuff considering how much we've had to wade through that boiled down to 'the writer kinda didn't understand the concept they're going for here'. I hardly think it's my favorite skin ever or think it's really even top three or whatever, but I can dig the just unrepentant 'yea I'm going to make everyone around me hurt' in a game where emotional manipulation and abuse is already A Thing.

I wouldn't permit that skin for precisely that reason: there's nothing to it but hurting people and getting away from pursuers. Even the Ghoul brings more to the table than that, mechanically. With a Harpy, the character is very likely going to always be an abusive rear end in a top hat because that's all that the Skin does.

On the other hand, it's an excellent villain kit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of "The Outsider" I've given thought to writing up a "Spirit" Skin to represent a sort of genius loci, as exemplified by the hometown kid whose family has been here for generations and feels connected to their home, but not their peers. But it's not something I feel the game is crying out for or anything.

(In my experience, the kids who entered public high school after being homeschooled their whole lives were characterized by a complete lack of perspective and being annoying as poo poo, but that's probably because they had Jesus freaks for parents.)

My tabletop gaming group will be playing a Christmas session of Monsterhearts tonight instead of our usual Rogue Trader campaign, and we'll be playtesting a homebrew Skin we've been working on: the Dragon. I think I've mentioned it before in this thread, but the Dragon is a teenage suddenly thrust into adult responsibilities - the example we're specifically using is a teenager who's the eldest sibling in a single-parent household with several younger siblings and so has to take care of their adult responsibility, their Hoard. The flip side is their innate drive to Rampage, to abandon their responsibility and be a teenager, enjoying themselves without a whit of concern for their Hoard. Of course, without the Dragon's protection, the Hoard is vulnerable. It's very much meant to be difficult paradox for the Dragon to struggle with and not do a good job of balancing.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 23, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FMguru posted:

Sigil is the most valuable piece of real estate in the entire multiverse. It's the High Ground from which you can invade any and all other planes - inner, outer, elemental, prime material, whatever. Entire pantheons of gods have spent eternities wracking their brains to try and figure out how to overthrow the Lady and seize control of it, to no effect. None of them have ever come close to succeeding (and I'll bet that not a few of the Dead gods floating in the astral plane got that way because they tried to gently caress with Sigil). She's as far above Thor and Orcus and Asmodeus and Ra as those gods are above level 1 PCs. She's the last person in the entirety of D&D that should have a stat block.

Well, aside from Ao. And his boss. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bieeardo posted:

Given the starry tales of love and whimsy that were oWoD's stock in trade, I'm guessing Monster Hearts: the College Years.

That or most of them start channeling Fall-From-Grace and specializing in slaking needs and lusts that aren't sexual.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

So... Demon: The Fallen? That would be some delicious irony, R*H ripping off the one White Wolf line he had no part in.

Not familiar with Demon: The Fallen. Fall-From-Grace is a succubus in Planescape: Torment who's entirely chaste and specializes in slaking intellectual lusts - she and her peers at their brothel provide stimulating intellectual conversation, play chess and other games of strategy, and the like.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

A non zero amount of bad MH ideas are victims of 'I like this as a non interactive, solo, media concept, WHY WOULDN'T I WANT IT AS AN INTERACTIVE AND MUTLI PERSON GAME?!'

It can be a little tricky to do even when you're aware that that's a need. My tabletop gaming group put together a homebrew MH skin I posted over in the apocalypse world thread that took a few revisions towards that end, starting off with a teenage metaphor, then matching a monster to it, then trying to figure out a way to get it interacting with other PCs and vice versa.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's also the approach GW2 takes, where the tutorial gives you a position of importance among your race, then you're actively climbing the ranks to progressively greater responsibilities as the story goes on, first getting kicked upstairs from your race's problems and duties to one of the three major global organizations fighting the Elder Dragons, then when they unite you're one of the founding members of that group. For the last third of the game's story, you're the right hand [wo]man of the Generic Big Leader Guy, making strategic decisions for the Trinity Pact and a recurring theme is that you get handed the most critical assignments that are both risky and important while the Pact's troops are busy with more mundane tasks. A lot of previously important NPCs and side characters turn up as researchers, troopers, and other low-ranking members of the Pact while you give them orders.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bieeardo posted:

I remember encountering otherkin for the first time, when Livejournal was still a big deal, and being absolutely baffled that these people could be so creatively bankrupt that they'd take mascara-streaked gaming books for their bibles. Years later, I'd hear about otakukin, and meet a man who wants to become some kind of thingy from the Wheel of Time in real life. It never clicked that for some of them, it went beyond wish-fulfillment and a sense of personal emptiness, and landed square in mental illness.

The worst stories I've ever read about that sort of thing were all about oChangeling. Supposedly someone committed suicide so they could go back to the faerie plane.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

How DID WoD get so many crazies? I don't recall anything like those stories coming from DnD, or even Exalted.

By tapping far more effectively into the angsty, disaffected teenager/college student demographic as I understand it. Can't speak for Exalted, but DnD likes to stress that it's just a game and you need to discuss it with your gaming group if you're not having fun or are bothered by things going on in the game session. WoD, as I understand it, marketed towards "serious ROLE-players."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doresh posted:

Now I have to know: was Hitler in league with the Werewolves? And East Germany with vampires?

It's very consistent, actually: some of the Nazis once they were in power colluded with supernatural powers, including a few advisors like Goring, but Hitler himself? Absolutely, 100% human no dealings of any kind with the supernatural. The Holocaust? Completely absolutely 100% human doing, absolutely no supernatural involvement or supernatural victims.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm certain there were supernatural victims. At least, plenty of Garou Kinfolk and Romany connected to the Gangrel and Ravnos. And of course, the Holocaust generated so many wraiths they devoted a book to it.

In oWoD? Canonically nope, zero supernatural victims of or involvement with the Holocaust. The Shoah book was something very different, and the only time oWoD ever talked about it beyond to say "Nope, we aren't touching that with a ten-foot pole."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LatwPIAT posted:

World of Darkness: Gypsies talks about how the Roma part of the holocaust was perpetrated because Hitler and the SS had learned about the secret of their magical blood, and wanted to experiment upon and exterminate them.

More tastefully, The Shoah: Charnel Houses Of Europe implied that both the Gangrel and Ravnos, the "traditional protectors of the Roma", were callous dicks perfectly happy with not giving a gently caress about the holocaust of the Romani, which is why so many Romani died despite how earlier books claimed they were speshul and protected by two vampire clans, a werewolf tribe, and one kind of Changeling.

I really should do a writeup of WoD: Gypsies for this thread, but a) I'm not finished with Phoenix Command, and b) it's incredibly draining to read something that offensive.

I'm mistaken, then. Never read Gypsies, and I must have missed that bit of the Shoah book.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pretty much. Of course, it could be argued that the world would be better off without vampires feeding off everyone and mages poking holes in reality.

This has always been my view of the oWoD: you are not playing as a good person. Even if there are other people who are worse, if your character seriously thinks they're a hero by any stretch of the imagination then they're deluded.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doresh posted:

Jovian Chronicles Second Edition RPG Player's Handbook

Chapter 3: Organizations

I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that Earth and Venus are supposed to be the bad guys opposed by the plucky but outgunned Jovians and other out-system bodies, but maybe that's just me. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Can we go back to discussing obscure/bad tabletop games rather than anime?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doresh posted:

Going by the fluff, I would say "Hunting tools - or really any kind of tool - is the work of the eeevil human society! You're supposed to ward off predators with your poop!"

This guy isn't familiar with the remarkable variety of animals that make and use tools, is he? Not just primates, either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

Would it surprise you that there is both an entire chapter of were-apes, as well as a merit that gives you a bonus on problem solving rolls because animals are such great tool users?

His entire mindset seems to be that humans evolved "too far" and lost our animal souls and somehow picked up other ones because animism.

That seems... hypocritical. The entire purpose of learned behavior, including tool use, is to make life easier.

Given that this is WoD, I'm expecting my question of "So what was the magical point at which we suddenly went too far?" to be answered with "The literally magical point at which we went too far was this..."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

I mean that sincerely. Brucatto has 'predators and charismatic fauna only, because that's all I find sexy' written all over him.

Furries in general.

What little I recall from the previous thread when it took a crack at this book also includes everything in this book being ridiculously overpowered.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

theironjef posted:

Eh, my taste in girls skews away from the kind wearing a wreathe of ranunculus that only want to sex it up after tricking me into a mushroom-dappled glen.

Also, I for one am partial to modern hygiene. And modern birth control. And modern medicine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

*sigh*

You just... don't get it, do you?

Nope, and I don't think I want to. I agree that modern civilization is doing horrible things to the environment and should probably be restrained and major efforts should be made to fix it, but turning into a were-elk with a giant dong and impaling a hillbilly hunter on my leg, a piece of artwork from this book that I recall from the last thread, sure isn't going to help repair the environment or curb the industrial practices that damage the environment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Deerhoof Antlerdude is the hero this planet deserves.

All the same, I don't think a society of furry serial killer ecoterrorists is going to help.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doresh posted:

I'm wondering how antlers and stuff will hold up to automatic firearms.

Unfortunately, IIRC from the previous thread, which petered out halfway through the book, most Changing Breeds can look down the barrel of a tank's cannon and smile calmly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doresh posted:

Don't worry, I am familiar. Vampires and werewolves however have the excuse of being mythical monsters that can shrug off most stuff that does not fall into their respective weakness. "My moose fursona gives me super-strength!" strikes me as requiring a whole lot more disbelief to suspend. Or maybe it's just way too silly for me.

Eh, go sign up with Task Force: VALKYRIE. Their superpower is "Our R&D department has unlimited funding and collaborates with DARPA."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Simian_Prime posted:

And is secretly funded by :drac:

A sidebar every DM with sense ignores. :colbert: Valkyrie games should be half X-Files, half X-COM.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

Yeah, considering that other groups in the same book got multiple options, I'm inclined to believe the writer just didn't like them. "gently caress you, it's vampires, and they're not doing anything interesting."

In my gaming group's ongoing Valkyrie game, which we've been playing on and off for a while, the truth about Valkyrie is more heartwarming: the Director is a former Promethean who completed her Pilgrimage. Promethean in general needs more love, and could probably be featured in this thread for how well-written but overlooked it is. Mainly because it can be incredibly difficult to play, admittedly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

I've always seen TFV as more Delta Green than X-Files- they've fought fire with fire for a long time. If you were involved with the US government at all before you encountered or turned into whatever super, you either work for Valkyrie or you get terminated, even if you don't know you're supernatural. American supernaturals, especially werewolves, may get covert or even overt help if it's in the interests of national security.

I lean a bit more on X-COM, myself. Whatever Valkyrie may have been at the beginning, by now it understands most supernaturals and what they can do better than the supers themselves. They're infinitely outmanned, but when they bring their teeth to bear they can use most supers' abilities and weaknesses better than the actual supers.

My group runs it as a light-hearted beer and pizza game. Our first session had a simple premise: the President has been captured by vampires. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the President?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

My TFV can beat up yours prefers to act or look like local agencies, and sends in "Fireteams" to subdue threats that the public would accept SWAT and Special Forces being called in to put down. A Gangrel operating out of the city dump getting filled with Dragon's Breath becomes "Manhunt for Serial Killer Ends in Fatal Shootout with SWAT". If subtlety's gone truly out the window, they call in a "Berserk Squad"...

My group tends to attract more... exotic situations. :v: In our campaign, the IRS headquarters relocated to Los Angeles courtesy of the TFV PCs to serve as the seal on a True Fae that was draining the spark of creativity and imagination out of Hollywood. It just couldn't handle the sheer concentrated banality of the IRS and so is effectively imprisoned. Coincidentally Hollywood subsequently started to improve substantially in quality.

quote:

Either a super-repressive Christian upbringing or a waaay too permissive hippy upbringing, maybe one plopped in the middle of an area full of another?

I'm guessing the latter, personally. I've known plenty of the former, many of whom fell away from that as adults, and this guy feels to me like the kind of man who would use the word "sheeple" unironically.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Flamberges and petticoats!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pkfan2004 posted:

You don't understand. My Black Soul Flame allows me to master any weapon. I choose the humble board of card to humiliate foes who are not worthy of tasting my immortal, pure starmetal steel folded six hundred and sixty six times by the blind monk Sensei-sensei. I DEFY YOUR PUNISHMENT.

Now just add lycanthropy and you're ready to roleplay Changing Breeds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
IIRC Genius also has "Five dots in this gives you nuclear weapons."

From what I remember reading through it, Genius has some genuinely interesting ideas and I'd like to see someone more familiar with nWoD do a thorough review of it. And Promethean, for that matter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I checked the Genius pdf. Here's the discipline dedicated to making weapons, for an idea of this game line. This is just the overview of X dots in the discipline.

Katastrofi ●: Agonizers, voltaic stunners, and energy-draining rays

A student of Katastrofi is limited to Bashing damage with his weaponry. His attacks can overwhelm a target’s nervous system, produce microwave-induced agony across the target’s skin, or drop an enemy with envenomed darts, but cannot kill outright.

Katastrofi ●●: Ultra-sharp swords, ray guns, heat rays, and other instruments of death

The second dot of Katastrofi allows the genius to get on with the business of killing her fellow human beings. She can create a rich selection of death rays and Lethal-damage weapons that can kill her targets through ballistic force, massive concussion, cold, electricity, or simply raw "killing energy." She can also significantly enhance the destructive power of her stunning weaponry. When designing the weapon, the genius must specify the type of damage done. This is important because some wonders and many creatures in the World of Darkness are vulnerable or resistant to different types of damage. Common damage types include electricity, cold, ballistic (like a bullet), acid, neural, bladed, crushing, and miscellaneous "destructive energy."

Bashing attacks from a scholar of Katastrofi benefit from the 9-again rule. Lethal attacks do not benefit from the 9-again rule.

If the genius desires, she can select the "explosive weapon" variable with a blast area of up to five yards for free. See that variable, below.

Katastrofi ●●●: Annihilating force and concussive devastation

The third dot of Katastrofi allows the genius to hone her destructive power, mastering the energies of annihilation. She can rend apart space and time or hurl globs of plasma or disintegrating force. These first attempts at annihilating weaponry are crude, but devastating. At the same time, her blades are sharper, projectiles move faster, and energy weapons pump out more killing energy. Stunning weaponry reaches its technological peak at this level of Katastrofi.

Bashing attacks benefit from the 8-again rule. Lethal attacks benefit from the 9-again rule. At this level, attacks that cause Aggravated damage are possible, but they do not benefit from the 8-again or 9-again rules.

A doctor of Katastrofi can employ the "disintegration" variable (see below).

If the genius desires, he can select the "explosive weapon" variable with a blast area of up to 20 yards for free. See that variable, below.

Katastrofi ●●●●: Atomic fire, neurotoxins, and space-warping Armageddon

At this level of power, the genius can channel destructive cosmic forces, ripping apart the laws of the universe to obliterate her enemies. Her weapons reach their peak of Lethal damage. Her Aggravated weaponry is terrifying, and it shows: cryonic weaponry freezes the atmosphere itself, while lightning-projectors vomit plasma that fluoresces in the far ultraviolet and turns everything before it to smoking atomic ruin. Even a simple sword at this level of technological mastery dissolves flesh and titanium with equal efficiency.

Bashing and Lethal attacks benefit from the 8-again rule. Aggravated attacks benefit from the 9-again rule.

If the genius desires, he can select the "explosive weapon" variable with a blast area of up to 100 yards for free. See that variable, below.

Katastrofi ●●●●●: Long-range city-devastators and monster-busters

Mastery of Katastrofi offers near-complete command of the powers of devastation. The genius’ weapons can scorch whole cities, and he turn mortals to ash and cinder. This level of power is not for the subtle: rank-five Katastrofic devices veritably burn with malevolent technological energy, and usually channel powers far beyond anything available to mortal science. To unleash his devastating designs, the genius harnesses miniature suns and black holes, rends space and time, and makes a mockery of laws like thermodynamics and the conservation of matter.

All attacks benefit from the 8-again rule.

If the genius desires, she can select the "explosive weapon" variable with a blast area of up to 1,000 yards (¼ mile) for free. See that variable, below.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

Yes. Really. It's super schlocky comic book SCIENCE! poo poo that you're supposed to think is super deep and meaningful because they say it is.

I knew one guy who swore that Genius: The Transgression was the best nWoD game ever. We cut ties with him after he sent White Wolf developers death threats for not including the Sons of Ether in nMage, or basically for making an nMage AT ALL because it wasn't oMage with rules updated to function with nVampire and nWerewolf.

If there's interest, I'd be happy to go through Genius for the thread. However, my experience with WoD is restricted to nHunter and reading Promethean, and passing knowledge of other lines, so someone else would have to offer commentary about the crunch and potentially the fluff as it relates to the rest of the setting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Genius: The Transgression

Introduction

Have you ever wanted to play a mad scientist in the World of Darkness? Someone brilliant but fundamentally unstable, dreaming impossible dreams that seem to defy the laws of physics?

Genius is not the game for you.

Genius: The Transgression is a fan-made game line for the New World of Darkness, probably the largest and best-known of its kind. Genius proudly presents itself as a game about playing mad scientists, ranging from Leonardo da Vinci to Dr. Frankenstein to Bruce Banner. However, when you get right down to it Genius is a game about playing unappreciated sperglords who struggle with unemployment while building nuclear weapons in their garage.

Let's get down to it.

Genius posted:

He looked like a bad bitmap, sort of fuzzy and indistinct, with little blue eyes like smears on a round gray face. He said he was out of the game.

"The game?" I asked. My voice sounded so bored - ten years of this, I thought, next month - but the man intrigued me. I had never been intrigued before, not in medical school, not when they told me their problems, not when they cried. I remember caring once, when I was young and I dreamed of how other people saw the world, but that had been a lifetime ago and now I felt raw and tired.

As traditional for the World of Darkness, Genius opens with some introductory fiction. Our unnamed protagonist here is a psychologist, talking with a disillusioned scientist. He used to be a brilliant aeronautical engineering type working on the space program, but he grew disillusioned and cynical when the popular imagination turned away from that vision of the 50s and 60s. Despite coming across as just a crotchety old jerk who hates that his field has moved past his youthful dreams, we're assured that he's somehow incredibly smart and that the psychologist's notes on the guy are self-contradictory and nonsensical.

Genius posted:

I backtracked, suddenly lost. I looked down at my notes. They didn't make any sense. I had added to Mike's chicken-scratches, but what I had written was all nonsense, like a psychology primer run through a German-English translator a dozen times, or some other world's definitions for id and ego...I found myself pondering how other worlds would conceive of the mind, what coincidences would occur there, or not occur there that occurred here, from which they would try to build up a model of the mind. How much would they have missed, just by accident? What had we missed?

I pulled myself back. My head felt all stretched and deformed, and suddenly I was afraid of looking at Jonas, like he would see a monster. Stop it. What had he asked? What would I do if...

Despite there being no evidence whatsoever of anything weird going on beyond the author's say-so, what's happening here is that the psychologist is beginning to awaken as a Genius.

Genius posted:

I remembered being seventeen, and imagining what other minds must be like. I remembered models leaping into my mind, unbidden, like someone had been sending mail to my brain in the middle of the night. It had been horrible, those half-glimpses of a greater truth, that sickly light bubbling up from my own mind, and I shuddered at the memory. I had pushed it away, disgusted. It had been outside me. It had wanted something. Thought without mind, idea without intellect. Genius, pure and beautiful.

The fiction goes on for fifteen more pages where nothing really happens beyond a massive infodump about the setting and important terms. However, it does get across a decent idea of the fundamental premise behind the Geniuses, which the game interchangeably calls the Inspired: there is a force of intellect and creativity somewhere outside us that can press its way into the mind, making you dream and think impossible things, and make them all somehow make sense to you despite the obvious illogic and insanity of it. This alien light, called Inspiration, can make the impossible happen when someone afflicted by it puts that energy to work, provided the Genius has a proper mental framework for it.

Yes, Inspiration is basically magic and Geniuses are wizards who simply need to channel their magic through a focus. To use their magic, Geniuses need a pseudo-scientific world view to use as a framework for their abilities - need a paradigm, you might say.

Then we get a table of contents and another page of fiction where a random guy busts into a Genius's lab where he's plugged a few people into an ugly machine, so his bracelet turns into a shotgun and kills everyone, then he torches the place.

Now on to the introduction proper!

Genius posted:

Ever since we bent our minds to technology - not with the computer or the automobile, but with fire and
language and visions of tomorrow's hunt - we walked away from the path laid out before us. No longer were
we to struggle and die like the other animals. No longer would we be allowed lives defined by a blissful
eternal now. We opened our eyes, regretted the past, feared the future, and became fully human.

But there were some who wished to know more, and to see farther, no matter the price. Mortals accepted into
their midst tricksters who delighted in showing the failure of the powerful, visionaries who dreamed of
worlds never before seen, fanatics determined to change the world by changing how we thought. The genius
stands outside of society and its narrow bounds, whether hailing from some crude some village where no one
knows what lies beyond the forest or gleaming metropoli whose inhabitants are bored with walking on the
Moon. They bring us marvels, and we make them pay for their transgressions.

As humanity has always admired and feared its law-givers, it has always admired and feared its law-breakers,
its madmen, its geniuses. Every society has stories of those who went too far, who asked too much, and who
suffered for it. The mad scientist is new, but the genius is an old dream indeed: the prophet, the trickster-god,
the master of techne, the artificer who makes the world, the demiurge who seeks to control, bind, and direct
it.

Genius: The Transgression is a game about those men and women and almost-gods, the ones who went too
far in their and hope and spite and fear and arrogance. They are doomed to watch their discoveries dissolve
into dust and broken lines of code, to see their inventions rampage out of control. But between that first
discovery and their last, when they transgress once too often and the universe wipes them away, they can
create wonders.

So yes, the Geniuses are wizards with a fresh coat of paint as mad scientists.

Genius posted:

A Game of Forbidden Science:
Break the rules and you get in trouble. Break the law and you go to jail. Mouth off to your boss and lose your
job. Jump off a building and...But it doesn't have to be that way, says that little voice in the back of your head,
your personal genius. You ignore it, but you can't silence it. But a genius gives in to that voice, becomes that
rules-breaking thing, that maker-trickster-savior, and begins a life of pain and glory unimaginable to mere
mortals.

The genius sees the truth, but she cannot get there. In her heart she knows, but she cannot explain why. She
flouts social convention, ignores the sneering voice of authority and dogma, and casts aside the ethical
concerns of her peers. She breaks the rules of the universe we know to glimpse the truth of the universe as it
must be. But there's a price. There always is. She is not just isolated from the "common man," but from the
very discipline that birthed her. In her heart, she knows that what she does is not science, which is ultimately
about systems and about cooperation. Alone, she walks a new path, wearing the trappings of her old life but
no longer capable of touching its essence.

Genius: The Transgression takes place in the World of Darkness, a world like ours but with darker nights
and deeper stains. People don't connect to one-another as they do in our world. They live in the shadows of
ancient conspiracies and the shadows cast by old things, and this infects the geniuses: for every mad scientist
working in silicon and plastic, another labors with greasy cogs and steam pumps, while another never left
behind the gleaming chrome and atomic dreams of the 1950s. For one of the Inspired, there is no escape from
the fetters of superstition and occult dread, the lurking horrors at the edge of consciousness. Though cobbling
together elements from our past, the genius ultimately belongs to no place and no time, and walks alone into
the future.

And also disaffected sperglords.

Genius posted:

Theme: Transgression
A little knowledge is a hideous thing and it will drive you mad.

The genius is a rule-breaker, a trickster, a liar, a thief of wonders, and a maker of false dreams. Tenuous
threads bind him to the mortal world, and every wonder is a violation of the rules of the universe. On the one
hand, Obligation binds a genius to humanity; on the other hand, Inspiration tells him to do things that no sane
person would ever want to do. The genius can be humanity's damned savior, destroying himself to safeguard
a society that will never know his name and would hate him if they knew what he had done to preserve them.

A genius is never entirely in control. His inventions are always one step away from freeing themselves and
rampaging through his lab, or his city. The ideas and dreams come too fast for him to write down, let alone
study and examine. The deadlines are constant, the pressure to find equipment, money, and research time
mind-breaking, and humiliation is a constant companion. Mad scientists burn with a passion for their work,
and though that passion is glorious and often contagious, the hunger to know and to control consumes them
from the inside-out. They cannot obey the rules that normal society has set down for its members. They can
only choose what laws they will break, and how they will look at themselves afterward.

Still wizards, just less hippy and more steampunk.

Genius posted:

Mood: Bitter Disappointment

The hideous freedom of transgression is matched by the choke-chain of necessity. A genius finds herself
surrounded by failure and broken dreams. For every wonder that lurches, blasphemously, beautifully, to life,
another turns to smoking scrap in the testing phase, or lies forgotten in a corner, half-made, because the
genius couldn't pay for the right permits or find the right materials. This juxtaposition of Inspired triumph
and mundane failure defines a genius' life.

And even if the genius succeeds more often than he fails, he sees dead dreams all around him. Once-great
geniuses, their radiance reduced to cinders from a lifetime of crushing defeat and humiliation, stock the
shelves at the electronics store in the mall, too ashamed to take up the wrench again. Those Inspired who
provide a genius with the supplies he needs are hollow, miserable people, chewed apart by the failure of their
philosophies to gain acceptance. And in the end, rare is the genius who makes a measurable impact on the
world: no matter how successful a genius might be, his wonders still crumble when exposed to the light of
day, reduced to malfunctioning piles of components. Many of the Inspired, after that initial burst of delight,
feel the circle of possibilities shrinking around them, until they are little different from before, except that
now people who once respected them now snicker behind their back at the "maniac" who cracked under the
stress.

Who wants to bet "bitter disappointment" accurately describes the mood of the author when it comes to his real life dreams?

Next up is the standard list of suggested inspiration (hur hur), which I will present without commentary.

Genius posted:

Books:

Doc Savage
VALIS
The Island of Dr. Moreau
Frankenstein
The Baroque Cycle

Movies:

The Fly
Metropolis
Pi
(Okay, one commentary: no Jurassic Park?)

Comics:

Akira
Batman
Girl Genius
Bob the Angry Flower

TV:

The Venture Brothers
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Mystery Science Theatre 3000

Music:

Abney Park
Bjork
Devo
Nine Inch Nails

Next time, The Cosmos! (Yes, that's what the introduction to the world of the gameline is called).

Next in the pdf after the introduction is a glossary filled with terms that haven't been explained yet. I'll note the important ones here, but I'll explain the rest as I reach the appropriate sections.

Axiom: Genuises do everything through constructs called wonders, and building wonders goes through a variety of disciplines called axioms. The axioms are Apokalypsi, Automata, Epikrato, Exelixi, Katastrophi, Metaptropi, Prostasia, and Skafoi.

Wonders: The magic artifacts mad science devices Geniuses build to channel their powers and do stuff.

Catalyst: A race/subtype style division, all Geniuses belong to one of five Catalysts that has a substantial impact on their motivations and what kind of mad scientist they are: Grimm (rage), Hoffnung (hope), Klagen (sorrow), Neid (rejection), or Staunen (curiosity). From a fluff perspective, your Catalyst is the emotion driving your descent into madness.

The Peerage: The good guy mad scientists, and the PCs are probably members. Divided into Foundations that grant benefits while focusing on a particular type of mad science. Each PC probably belongs to one.

Lemuria: The evil mad scientists, basically the Illuminati. The Peerage know they're all insane. Lemurians think they're right. Divided into Baramins based on how they approach the world through the lens of their [mad] science.

Inspiration: In crunch, it's the power stat. In fluff, it's the alien force of creativity that makes Geniuses what they are.

Mania: The energy of Inspiration. It's your blood points, mana, what-have-you.

Havoc: Yeah, it's Paradox. Backlash from mortals interacting with Genius stuff or Genius stuff going wrong.

Obligation: Morality stat.

Illuminated: What happens when Obligation reaches 0. Complete monsters and whatnot.

Beholden: Ghouls, now in lab assistant flavor.

Collaborative: Group of Geniuses that work together (the PCs are probably this).

Bardos/Manes: Supernatural entities, basically, spawned from ideas that have been scientifically proven not to exist. You can play as one.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 7, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, I am not joking when I describe Geniuses as sperglords. They have a mechanical penalty to interacting socially with non-Geniuses that increases in severity as their power stat goes up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PantsOptional posted:

So this is a game where everyone thinks they're playing Dexter's Lab but they're really just playing David Hahn? What forum did this spawn out of? i've only ever seen it referenced on RPGnet but I thought it came from somewhere else.

It's an RPGnet creation. Here's the credits:

Genius posted:

Credits:
Writing, Art, and Execution: Kyle Marquis.
Cover Art and Rear Cover Text: Anthony Damiani
Playtesters: Kirsten Hipsky, Nicholas Dowbiggin, Russel Wallace, Justin
Searles, John Carr, Gregory Riley, Robert Mason, John Watson
Special Thanks To: Shanoxilt, Poster #15672, Broblawsky0, ManofTroy,
EarthScorpion, Professor Phobos, gryftir, kestrel404, Rallan, Adal,
Deadmanwalking, Lankin the Mad Mage, Stantz, David J Prokopetz, 011121,
Anthony Damiani, strange_person, quastorjh, Mike Grasso, AlgaeNymph,
Kevin Rood, and everyone else on RPGnet and elsewhere who helped in the
development of Genius: The Transgression.

I'll probably get The Cosmos up tomorrow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Genius Addendum

I'll edit this into the intro post, but next in the pdf after the introduction is a glossary filled with terms that haven't been explained yet. I'll note the important ones here, but I'll explain the rest as I reach the appropriate sections.

Axiom: Genuises do everything through constructs called wonders, and building wonders goes through a variety of disciplines called axioms. The axioms are Apokalypsi, Automata, Epikrato, Exelixi, Katastrophi, Metaptropi, Prostasia, and Skafoi.

Wonders: The magic artifacts mad science devices Geniuses build to channel their powers and do stuff.

Catalyst: A race/subtype style division, all Geniuses belong to one of five Catalysts that has a substantial impact on their motivations and what kind of mad scientist they are: Grimm (rage), Hoffnung (hope), Klagen (sorrow), Neid (rejection), or Staunen (curiosity). From a fluff perspective, your Catalyst is the emotion driving your descent into madness.

The Peerage: The good guy mad scientists, and the PCs are probably members. Divided into Foundations that grant benefits while focusing on a particular type of mad science. Each PC probably belongs to one.

Lemuria: The evil mad scientists, basically the Illuminati. The Peerage know they're all insane. Lemurians think they're right. Divided into Baramins based on how they approach the world through the lens of their [mad] science.

Inspiration: In crunch, it's the power stat. In fluff, it's the alien force of creativity that makes Geniuses what they are.

Mania: The energy of Inspiration. It's your blood points, mana, what-have-you.

Havoc: Yeah, it's Paradox. Backlash from mortals interacting with Genius stuff or Genius stuff going wrong.

Obligation: Morality stat.

Illuminated: What happens when Obligation reaches 0. Complete monsters and whatnot.

Beholden: Ghouls, now in lab assistant flavor.

Collaborative: Group of Geniuses that work together (the PCs are probably this).

Bardos/Manes: Supernatural entities, basically, spawned from ideas that have been scientifically proven not to exist. You can play as one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Genius: The Transgression Part 2: The Cosmos

You will notice I'm not posting any art or graphics. That's because there is none. The Genius online book is 488 pages of nothing but text and charts.

Genius posted:

A genius is a mortal man or woman gifted with extraordinary insight and technical brilliance. A genius is also
a concept, an extra-worldly thing, a muse, an eidolon of imagination and beauty, something that alights for a
time upon mortals or, sometimes, buries itself deep in the soul of a person and does not leave.

This double-truth follows a genius through life: are they extraordinary individuals gifted with a touch of the
impossible, or are they mere conduits for a greater and inhuman power? This question torments many of the
Inspired, and they pore over the accounts of their predecessors and propose monstrous and baffling
philosophies in order to learn what they are: gifted mortals, or mere shells for the idea of genius? Every
genius must ask herself, at some point, am I real? And they must discover for themselves the origin and true
nature of their ideas. Are they Inspired, or are they Inspiration personified? Where do the terrible, beautiful
ideas come from, if not from their own mind? Are they, in some sense, worthy of the wonders they make, or
are they mere midwives for things more beautiful than they―things in some sense, more real?

I actually kinda like this premise for Geniuses: Inspiration is what makes them what they are, but it's dangerous, alien, and potentially horrifying. We then get some elaboration on the danger Inspiration poses to geniuses, that it's the force driving them away from humanity into the realm of mad science. It's the mundane parts of human existence that keep geniuses grounded for the most part, maintaining ties to mundane human existence rather than deciding they're above it all. It's appropriate for the mad scientist mythos, though there isn't a whole lot of crunch to back it up - Genius pretty much expects you to slide into insanity.

Genius posted:

The Breakthrough
At Last I Understand

A genius' Breakthrough―the moment she stops being a normal mortal, however naturally gifted, and
becomes Inspired―is often a traumatic experience, though it is rarely sudden. Over the course of weeks,
months, or even years, a mortal's perspective begins to change. Ideas that once made sense become dubious,
unintuitive, even suspicious, while new notions seem to leap unbidden into the person's mind. These might
be dismissed as madness, if the ideas don't work, or unexpected leaps of intuition, if somehow they do, but
the nagging suspicion remains that the ideas are coming from Outside, that somehow they are not one's own.

Most reasonable people, at this point, retreat from the strange revelations: they shut themselves down, force
themselves to go about their day-to-day lives, and if they're lucky or determined, they won't experience a
Breakthrough at all. They will live out their little lives like the rest of us. But some rush headlong toward
these new experiences, while others cannot or will not escape them, perhaps seeing answers there that have
eluded them before. This is how a genius is born.

The first few months after the Breakthrough are traumatic and infuriating: Inspiration, for all its brilliance,
fears the light of day. Answers that seem so obvious as the genius labors by night in rented laboratory space
turn to nonsense when shown to one's fellows. Many geniuses think they are going mad. Their friends almost
certainly think so. Isolation and madness set in as the Breakthrough drags on: the genius is Inspired, but lacks
any ability to produce something. He is not yet a maker of wonders.

The Breakthrough is what turns a mortal into a genius. It's that moment where a sane scientist starts to go mad, obsessed with peculiar and brilliant ideas that often make sense to the genius but no one else. Of course, in Transgression's case you're going insane on two levels, with the latter being that the source of your sudden brilliance really is an outside force, and it's not really compatible with the human mind.

Also, it's a recurring theme that mortals simply can't understand the mad super-science of the Inspired. Their stuff simply doesn't work by the rules of the normal world and shouldn't work at all. It's the power of Mania and Inspiration that makes these impossible wonders work - that tesla gun, that super-suit, that cybernetic rig... so yeah it's magic for all intents and purposes but dressed up as science.

At this point in the mortal's descent into Inspiration, most go one of three ways: joining the Peerage (the organization of relatively sane good-guy mad scientists the PCs are assumed to be a part of), joining Lemuria (the organization of relatively insane bad-guy mad scientists the PCs are assumed to be enemies of), or becoming Illuminated.

The Illuminated are what happens when something goes deeply wrong or a Genius' morality stat hits 0: the alien force of Inspiration completely consumes the human mind and what emerges is an alien force of intellect and creativity in a human suit. We'll get some more detail on the Illuminated later on, but for now the Illuminated are noted to be very explicitly no longer human in any real sense of the word, and there is no cure of any kind for Illumination. Most end up killed by the Peerage or Lemuria because of the danger they pose to everyone.

On to demographics and the question of who tends to become Inspired.

Genius posted:

According to Genius: A Complete Psychological Breakdown, published by Ayako Von Schreber and Bob "Doc"
Sandwich in 2005, the Inspired are primarily drawn from the scientific, academic, and educational fields. It
should come as no surprise that almost nine in ten Inspired work or worked in such fields: they are or were
scientists, researchers, philosophers, sociologists, professors, mathematicians, engineers, technicians, medical
doctors, or computer experts. Many others are drawn from related fields: Inspired populations boast many
librarians, historians, field guides, teachers, explorers, mechanics, architects, and all-purpose scholars. This is
what geniuses call the breeding pool, the usual "spawning ground" for new geniuses.

Inspiration isn't always random - it can be cultivated in someone, though not reliably. It does take a certain mindset to become Inspired, mainly a mindset capable of thinking and planning, seeing a problem and working out a solution or being struck with some vast question.

We're told now that about 60% of all Inspired come to it naturally, just regular people who suddenly start to see impossible answers to their questions and theories. The rest were deliberately guided as Beholden (read: ghouls) and either deliberately cultivated by geniuses to become Inspired themselves or were intended to be mere lab assistants and servants who suddenly became much more.

Don't really want to play a mad scientist? Worry not!

Genius posted:

About 12% of geniuses become Inspired though they possess no particular scientific or technical background,
nor formal training time under another genius. The old term for such a person was a raudus, a raw "lump" of
genius. They possess no training, but they have raw talent and some kind of frantic drive that pushes them
into a Breakthrough. The beat cop who sees one crime too many and decides to mess around with an armored
suit, the mother whose children are menaced by mysterious underground machines and who ransacks
libraries to find out how to stop them, the laborer who watches a loved one wither of untreatable cancer, and
who starts asking around about "impossible" cures...all these people are geniuses for whom the Breakthrough
comes first and mundane knowledge comes later.

There's a lot of room and suggestion in Genius that if you want to you can play the game as superheroes who build their own super-gadgets, and here's your out. Bruce Wayne and Viktor Frieze can both be reasonably approximated as Inspired.

Next we're told that about one in three Inspired actually has a PhD, but that most are hobbyists. Genius does have a curious blind spot about professionals whose work gives them the opportunity to become Inspired but aren't interested in becoming doctors or professors themselves. Despite all this ground to play a Genius who isn't a mad scientist, the fluff assumes that you're just that.

Genius posted:

There are a lot of Inspired, a fact that startled the Peerage when it was first discovered. Estimates are as high
as one person in five thousand being a genius, though many are lonesomes with no idea of what they are.
More conservative estimates make Inspired rarer, but there are still a good number of them in any major
metropolitan area.

Uh... I'm pretty sure this many mad scientists would be noticed, though we're also told that 30-50% of all Inspired don't know what they are. Which seems weird given that there's an alien power burning in their skulls and Inspired are pretty good about recognizing mad science in action. I can only assume that most Inspired don't actually bother with becoming mad scientists and instead post really weird conspiracy theories and fanfic on the internet.

More demographics come up, telling us that despite the promise that Inspiration can happen to anyone mad science is actually pretty expensive and so Inspired tend to be highly educated and wealthy, with the exceptions being notable and peculiar.

Genius posted:

Obligation
From Up Here They Look Like Ants

A genius' Breakthrough, once she has mastered his first Axioms and created her first wonders, is often
accompanied by a godlike feeling of invincibility and of escape from the fetters of the mundane world. But a
genius cannot escape humanity, at least while keeping his humanity intact.

Instead, a genius is bound to humanity by ties of Obligation. The genius can never again be part of everyday
humanity, or return to his old life. He can never again walk among his former peers as equals, at least not
without danger to himself and to them. But the genius cannot simply be a watcher. Instead he must become a
monitor, a guardian of his world from both his own wonders and horrors and those unleashed by others.
Often dispassionate, but never disinterested, the genius becomes a protector of common humanity

Obligation is the morality stat of Genius, and while it's flavorful and appropriate I don't see why Inspired have to abandon traditional morality. The best analogy I can think of for Obligation is looking at superheroes, actually. Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark would be good examples of high obligation Inspired - they're volatile, egotistical, more than just a little removed from ordinary humanity, and definitely a bit crazy, but they view their powers as an obligation to protect mundane people from dangers they can't fight. Mister Freeze and any of the bad guys from the Iron Man movies would be examples of low obligation Inspired.

Genius posted:

Too much Maniacal activity, too fast, can result in the genius cracking as Inspiration overrides parts of her
thinking mind. When this happens, the genius becomes an unmada: the raw energy of Mania echoes her own
thoughts, confirming her prejudices and beliefs. Those beliefs then reinforce her Inspiration, which produces
more bent Mania, producing a hall-of-mirrors or echo-chamber effect where the genius' own subconscious
continually validates her opinions while wiping away contradictory data. Some geniuses escape this fate;
others revel in it.

All Inspired are insane. Period. But some become special types of insane, altered by Inspiration. Unmada/Maniacs are the most common type: Inspiration has warped their senses and minds to the point that not only do they wholeheartedly believe that they are absolutely correct about what to anyone else is patent insanity, they can start warping reality around them to reflect their particular world view. This latter ability is part of what makes Unmada dangerous: if you run into one who's convinced that electricity doesn't work, there's a good chance that anything around them that runs on electricity will simply stop working.

Part of the reason Lemuria are the bad guy mad scientists is because they're comprised exclusively of Unmada, though it's noted that a fair few Peers and independent Inspired are like this as well.

Genius posted:

The Consensus
I Still Remember The Scorn of My Peers

Two geniuses in every three come from some kind of "scientific" background, and one of the first things they
learn is that, after their Breakthrough, they can never return to their former lives. Their mere existence
disrupts research, clouds statistics, and makes a mockery of the scientific method. A genius is not a scientist; a
genius is a wonder-worker whose miracles are technological in nature.

Because of this, the life of a genius is a lonely one. Other Inspired can be allies, but are more often competitors
for the same meager resources. Mortals can turn a wonder into a pile of scrap with a moment's handling, and
the insightful nature of those mortals geniuses most want to associate with―fellow scientists and
thinkers―merely hastens the process of disintegration. Those mortals who have embraced the genius'
worldview, her beholden, embrace it with such feverish devotion and faith that, whatever their other merits,
they are no more than echo chambers for the genius' thoughts.

This is one of the beefs I have with Genius, to be honest. We're told, abstractly, that not only do mortals cause problems when they start handling stuff fueled by Inspiration (which there are rules for), Inspired mess up conventional work... somehow, despite Inspired being assumed to be holding down a regular job. Also, geniuses are explicitly not lonely - that is the entire point of the Peerage in fluff, providing a friendly network of mad scientists to keep you grounded, sane, and funded. There are plenty of real life scientists who hold all manner of bizarre beliefs and crazy ideas, but they still get good work done.

In fact, the very next segment is about Collaboratives and the Peerage and how they exist precisely to provide cooperation, trust, and fellow people who don't think you're any more insane than they are.

Genius posted:

No One Is In Charge

Much of Earth's scientific history is due to subtle manipulation by Lemuria. It is unclear how much control
this group had, and it has become increasingly obvious that Lemuria had far less influence on the
development of the mortal world than they often boast. But what is clear is that for centuries―millennia,
perhaps―they kept a rein on the progress of science, mad and otherwise. Their program for the development
of humanity, the Race History, stamped out innovation and development wherever it appeared, replacing it
with developments spoon-fed to humanity by the Lemurians. Free geniuses were converted or killed.

This system never worked perfectly, and by the 17th century it had begun to unravel. Lemuria took centuries
to die, and it fought for every second of life, crushing intellectual revolutions that threatened to destroy its
hegemony. But new ideas swept across the world, and the Lemurians could not hold them back. Their
techniques grew more severe and unyielding, their philosophy more intransigent, and when they moved to
"set back the clock" in a series of wars that would have left humanity a burned-out shell, the free Inspired
were moved to action: they confronted the Lemurians in open battle, chased down and killed the Secret
Masters that controlled them, and ruined the careful planning behind the Race History. By the middle of the
20th century, humanity was free...and no one was in charge.

No one is in charge now, either. That, say many Inspired, is why we didn't get the future with the flying cars
and the "televisors" and the moon bases: those things were in the works, all set for the Lemurians to hand
them down to us like manna from heaven, and we were supposed to accept them and let our betters maintain
them while we lived our happy, comfortable lives. But Lemuria got its rear end kicked, and has your life ever been
comfortable? It hasn't, say many in the Peerage, because humanity is off the rails, free from control or
intellectual extortion.

So no one is in charge of humanity, mundane or Inspired. We've been forging our own path for fifty years―or
500 years, depending on how you count it. It's been a terrible mess, but it's been our mess. There are no
Secret Masters, no answers hidden by centuries-old secret societies―well, not anymore―no Golden Age in the
past, no Utopia in the future, no free rides, no easy answers, and no one at the wheel. It's just humanity, some
of whom can create fifty-foot-tall robots, trying to get by.

This? I genuinely like this part of the setting. Part of Genius' attempt at horror is the idea that for most of human history civilization was guided in secret by hidden masters that offered stability. A ruthless, tyrannical stability, but someone was in charge of humanity and had a plan. Not any more, though. The Inspired secret societies have no large-scale political power and the aggressive manes (we'll get to those later, in short they're theories literally spawned by their own disproof) like the Martians, Ophidians, and Moon Nazis literally can't exist or impact human civilization in any meaningful way. The godlike beings at the end of time have been wiped out, and the remaining time police are overworked and corrupt.

It's down to just humanity now.

This post is getting rather long, so I'm calling it short.

Next time: More of the Cosmos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zereth posted:

Does it still work if the 'Genius' hands it to a non-wizard and leaves?

No, that triggers Havoc. You want to keep mortals as far away from Inspiration as possible. Mortals who get access to Wonders will quite reasonably point out all the ways it simply cannot work according to the laws of science, which in turn tends to make the Wonder explode or fall apart.

• Locked thread