Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
They're not bisexual, they're going through the fluid process of maturing through teenage sexuality.

Plus, if I'm not giving away too much, the endgame of Monsterhearts involves your characters becoming emotionally healthy adults (if they don't die first.) Every roleplaying game features some variant of emotionally damaged person or murder hobo: Monsterhearts allows that murderhobo to learn to deal with people as adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

As a concept it's brilliant, as a game I would never play it. The real world is depressing enough that I don't need to add to it with simulated angst.

This isn't an indictment of your personal preferences, but your title is literally from a work of simulated angst.

Monsterhearts is at its heart as much of a pulpfest as any clockwork steampunk dungeon game and it makes me sad that the gaming community approaches its (still pulpy, popcorny fun) angst-fest so tepidly.

People never did this with Vampire, and I think this has to do with the fact that Vampire was marketed at a time when emotionally distant vampires were still more of a masculine fantasy than a feminine one.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
People still watch Shakespeare (hell, people put work into acting in Shakespeare for free in community theatre) and Romeo & Juliet is, for example, just teenage melodrama as foundational driving force.

TV shows where people act out teenage melodrama are very, very popular. Buffy is a huge nerd culture icon TV show and it is primarily about highschool relationships (and a major inspiration point for MonsterHearts.)

People game to do a bunch of stuff, and it could ~potentially~ be as varied as the reasons they watch a show or read a book. It is the overall fandom's inhibitions and unwillingness to move away from power fantasies that prevents gaming from being as artistically expressive as it could be.

I am not saying that anyone's preferences are wrong, I just think that they are emblematic of a certain way of thinking about games that fails to capture their full potential.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

kaynorr posted:

I don't think you're accusing anyone of badwrongfun, but it always bugs me when people get dismissive of most games as being nothing more than power fantasies, and how games could be so much more if people would just be More Mature.

Hearing that Monsterhearts is intended to drive towards a conclusion where everyone is a well-adjusted adult is fantastic. Way, way, way too much of this genre is focused about the spiral down into the dark, without chance of escape.

Granted, and I think the part of Monsterhearts that really makes it interesting is the Growing Up section, too.

It' not that I think that Games Need To Grow Up, it's more that I think that games can do the power fantasies and also other things. There's nothing anyone can do to prevent people from wanting to go on power trips in their minds. From a certain perspective that may be what our minds are for. But I think that there's merit to exploring the possibility space of ~games as experience~

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't see granos??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think actually the evolution is toward more game-ified agency within roleplaying games. What we're progressing toward with things like apoc world or D&D4e is the treatment of narrative agency as an integrated part of more traditional game elements, like wargame-inspired combat and level-ups. Fiasco is a good example of the far end of this, but earlier games like Dogs in the Vineyard and My Life with Master all make passing the baton easier. *World games are another expression of this idea, with Gnome7's Fellowship being the next logical progression - giving each player a part of the world that they have more-or-less complete authorial control, and giving the GM a character sheet they have to play by like everyone else.

• Locked thread