Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Torchbearer

Halfling! I really want to see if its stealth mechanics parse out into anything usable/meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Considering what a big deal they've been, it's almost a little odd I don't have any experience with the 40K RPGs. Granted, I'd be a lot more interested if there was something like a Necromunda variant or an Ork variant. I guess I'd rather play Cockney than posh; I always found the Imperium rather dull, so the laser-like focus of the RPG on their grim greyfaces has done a lot to dilute my interest.

Creative enough GMs and players have worked around this, somewhat. Some TG GMs have gotten creative enough with Only War, for instance, to run the characters as gangers instead of typical Guardsmen. Others have basically hacked together the rules of Rogue Trader and Deathwatch to create Deffwotch, the game where you play as Orks posing as a Deathwatch Kill-team, but since you're going along with what the Imperium needs done Imperial Inquisitors will overlook your Orkiness and just sort of roll with the punches.

That being said, I wish they officially supported playing as Orks better instead of relying on the creativity of GMs because it is exceedingly reliant on these GMs to attract interest and teach it to people whereas if it was an officially supported product, it would be a lot easier to find games/get guidance.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

NGDBSS posted:

The funny thing about DH1E was that it actually was still written in-house by GW's Black Industries. Since then they've gone under and FFG has made the other game lines (plus DH splatbooks).

Also Black Crusade is the best because it practically encourages you to go full-on murderhobo and/or over the top wild. The first time my players encountered a boss monster, they disabled its weapons and then asked if they could keep it. They've only gone up from there.

Edit: See if you can track down a copy of the Twilight Imperium RPG. Trust me, it exists - I've seen it exactly once in softcover and it seems to date from the late 90's.

There's a quote from the Warhams40k thread, and it goes something like this:

quote:

Black Crusade is the Thousand Sons sorcerer riding his magic bird and raining hell on a group of Khornates, and periling so hard a bloodletter drop kicks him off of his mount because it manifests right in front of him, and then proceeds to eat his bird in flight.

Black Crusade is a Khornate dueling a commissar and narrowly losing, and trying to turn the commissar to Khorne because he was such a bitchin' fighter and because said Khornate burns infamy in every fight because he wants to outdo the commissar.

Black Crusade is the Nurgle renegade getting Grossly Fat and Corpulent Body and having to waddle to every fight because they focused on WS instead of BS, and tanking an autocannon in spite of it.

Black Crusade is a Slaaneshi sorcerer causing a haywire field that shuts down the armor of his Khorne and Tzeentch allies while they're stuck in melee combat with orks, and then disappearing via a time rift long enough to gain the Face of Slaanesh and reappear, super handsome, to re-enact the Joker from 1989's Batman doing his whole 'Devil in the Moonlight' dance.

Also, Chaos gets guns that literally shoot Rock 'n Roll at people.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

You can play aliens in RT, but I don't really feel the need to, because Rogue Traders are the most freebooting YOLO and least grimdark seriousface people in the Imperium.

For reference, here are links to the best character ever in a Rogue Trader forums game!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669915#post435871222

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669915&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post435891682

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

nomadotto posted:

1. Where are our dudes from? Pick one of “Dwarven Halls,” “Religious Bastion,” “Bustling Metropolis,” “Wizards' Tower,” “Remote Village,” and “Busy Crossroads.” They can be from different places.
  2. What are these folks' social graces? Pick 1 of Haggler, Manipulator, Orator, or Persuader. They can have different graces.
  3. What's their specialty? They have to have different specialties. Pick one from:
    Cartographer, Cook, Criminal, Dungeoneer, Haggler, Healer, Hunter, Manipulator, Pathfinder, Orator, Scavenger, Scout, and Survivalist. (The overlaps with 2 aren't a mistake, you can double-stack)
So let's build these bad dudes, who at present are probably not going to save the president, but might make a couple of bucks stabbin' d00ds

Mr. Tumnus or whatever our intrepid halfling is named is from a Wizzard's Tower. He is a Master Orator, who specializes in being a Criminal.

Our Warrior is from a Religious Bastion and is quite a good Haggler. Our warrior is, on top of it all, an excellent Cook.

They may yet be bad enough dudes to rescue the President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

theironjef posted:

We read Maid. We're joined by a guest podcaster who helps us process exactly how horrible this all really is.

Long live Dolph Gundam, infamous protagonist from WTF, D&D?!'s Maid playthrough!

http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/maid-gross-lolita/1/

• Locked thread