Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It reminds me of Total/Planetary Annihilation's premise of resource-devouring self replicating machines, or the World Devastators from Rogue Squadron, or basically anything that's meant to be a superweapon or a bad thing. And not, you know, a good one.

Surely the 3D printing method would gel better with the hardcore capitalism? A soldier sticks a credit card into a vending machine on his APC and it prints out his gun and some ammo. People order things online and it's 3d printed into existence in their homes. Anything could be made cheaply and instantly! But instead we get good old hollywood genetics and world devouring factories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah I'd have tuned out at the tables already but this seems like bullshit. Torg doesn't let you do ANYTHING without a drawback.

At this point I'm waiting for furry rpg to update so we can see how many tables THAT has.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

:colbert:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I'm sorry, I can't review The Last Stand as I've never played it. But yes, when I was briefly running Albedo my players liked to break into EDF! EDF! EDF! sometimes.

Realtalk I'd play an EDF rpg with some mild crunch and rules for determining just how much collateral damage that giant robot just did.

Also my AW playbook party has been on hold over the holidays but I'll resume it soon, this next one's a doozy.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've always been a bit leery of "stat pools as hp" since I got burned on Numenera. I presume that since there's no single stat used as hp that it works out better? In Numenera the physical stuff stat was also HP, which meant warrior-types got screwed over pretty hard if they wanted to exert themselves.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

The answer is the same one it always is: verisimilitude.

Ah yes, the one thing my RPG about alternate realities, dinosaur men and a cyborg pope needs - realistic depictions of the mechanics of Quantum Bullshit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
TORG and HSD seem to have the same problem in that they are taking way too much time and effort to explain/simulate poo poo nobody cares about. TORG cars so much about its simulation it prevents players from doing anything cool with the setting, and HSD is typng its meme-filled Bitcoin Randian wank fantasy with one hand.

If your setting is any good then you don't need to make more reasons to play it! As long as there's decent systems in place appropriate for the setting then I don't need 30 pages of backstory! Let me play super-dinoman already! Christ!

Also I'm sure that the trains and planes are listed because they anticipated players building a battle train, which would own until it turned into lumps f metal in Dinosaur World.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Teaching our heroes all about the wonderful biology of the God-Emperor-Lizard. And poop.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The fluff and the rules were probably written seperate from each other with only the barest communication between the writers. That'd explain the difference there.

It doesn't explain the lovely writing in the first place, but we can put that down to "furries" and leave it at that.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The problem with furries and indeed nerds of any stripe is that they have to put their object of affection before common sense. It always comes out as a "weird furry rpg" and not "an rpg that happened to be about furries." You can run good games in any system regardless of theme but if the system is laughable then the theme is an extra kick in the balls, and these subcultures tend to produce the latter rather than the former. I'd play Albedo provided I was in the right group because the squad mechanics sound cool and the awe system basically reads "xcom the rpg."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
CthulhuTech 2 is still going to be bad even without the rape and tentacle dicks because it's a level of super-edgy darkness no-parents crap that makes WoD roll its eyes, covered with a thin layer of played-out Lovecraft tropes and mechanics that don't work.

And the skeletons disadvantage should be "your player character is being chased by skeletons."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

But what if the skeleton...

was inside you all along?

The true horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Glad to see my vague hopes that John Wick would have somehow become a better person have been dashed to the ground. What is this garbage? What does this poo poo about love have anything to do with playing games?

I better find something to review in here before I'm forever remembered as "the guy who hates John Wick too much."

• Locked thread