Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Young Freud posted:

Unfortunately, following Ruby Ridge and Waco, a lot of folks latched on to the federal government and that precipitated the rise of the conspiracy culture during what was probably the most transparent administration in recent memory. If Reagan had ordered something similar during his administration, almost no one would have batted an eye. It didn't help that Clinton ended up declassifying a bunch of stuff, like the DoD-DoE human radiation experiments and Operation Northwoods, which drove those folks insane.

Except the conspiracy culture early even in the 1970s. Its just that most of the quite frankly Nazi levels of disgusting stuff that has happened which was probably more ingrained into the game developers of that time period than the 90s stuff is completely unknown to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Ningyou posted:

"For my clique, the antidote was found in our road trips. We went to SCA events in the woods and learned to fight with swords and shields. We went to Grateful Dead concerts and danced our minds out. Begging for change in Haight-Ashbury, raving with the Unseelie in Golden Gate Park, protecting Greenpeace Zodiacs from sea monsters, helping a wounded griffin in Mt. Tamilpais, egging the homes of spooky accountants in black suits -- it was one adventure after another. We had to deal with mundanity just like everyone else, but we went out and lived as well."
Why is it that whenever I hear of Changeling I always tend to think that the writers of this game line had no life in college? Even the "fantastical" stuff is relatively boring and mundane compared to what I've seen in real life though I don't know if that is saying a lot about the city of Boston or the writers.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Whenever I read Changeling: the Dreaming I remember my crazy ex's even crazier roommate, who never washed, lived on Hot Pockets and beans-on-toast (because everything British is better), and ran an unsuccessful Etsy shop. Her biggest claim to fame was being featured on Regretsy, and her peak of success was selling some of her doll's to a museum gift shop. My ex claims she found her crying the night before the sale because her dolls told her they were scared to go to the museum.
You see I'm pretty sure I can make her look normal in comparison which is kind of the point I was making. The whole kooky and zany things that these Changeling's do to stave off boredom is boring.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

hectorgrey posted:

Wasn't Classic Traveller the only system that could actually kill your character during character creation? Choosing chargen options likely to kill your character was a legit way to get rid of a character with poo poo stats (2d6 in order) so you could gen a new one...
Rifts was like that too.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Once I finish the last write up for V&V I was thinking about doing Blue Planet.
The one thing that really surprised me about the version of Blue Planet I played was that for as scientifically accurate* as it is supposed to be the Fantasy Flight version of the game is remarkably light.

*Haven't read it at all so I can't remark.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lynx Winters posted:

It's HFIL. Everything in the game is based on the Funimation dub because of some janky license issues.
I thought the book references the fact that there were edits done to the Funimation dub.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Is this the adventure that has him spouting off with a string of expletives towards the creators of RPG Day?
EDIT:
Yup.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's something I find revisionist about deathtrap OSR stuff like Lament of the Flame Princess; the whole attitude that games were once three deathtraps per silver coin or the like, because a lot of old D&D adventures don't resemble that sort of play style. Granted, that's the way 1st level play tends to feel (given that just about anything can murder you in one hit), and you have things like the S-series or Grimtooth, but that's just a small section of AD&D's broad canvas. It feels more like a weird exaggeration, a funhouse mirror version of classic fantasy games. With jokes, it could easily be a parody of that style of play.

That is because the deathtrap stuff isn't emulating anything from Dungeons and Dragons. He'll Raggi isn't even subtle about it as it was plastered on the cover that he sent to Somethingawful not too long ago. He's basically emulating really crappy horror. For the most part the issues with the RPG isn't going to be corrected ever because he is so infatuated with stuff like Serbian Story that he really can't figure out what the issues are with that genre of horror.
EDIT:
Dam it. Now this makes me want to go back to reading Dorohedoro.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 23, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

InfiniteJesters posted:

You forgot to mention the Illuminati shrine maidens/Shinto priests that can ask the gods above to laser entire towns off the map.
And the love dolls that the English Kickstarter made an overt effort completely scrub out the stupid implications from the setting.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 27, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No, it didn't. If there were references to them being created for sex, that isn't apparent in the translated version (it can be seen as implied, but it's hardly overt from what I can recall), but it seems to treat them more as created companions / servants than sex dolls. If it's that way in the original, yuck.
I'll have to actually check on this because it might have been scrubbed from the translation but someone who did work on the Kickstarter said that fluff wise they were dolls that were primarily women who would sleep with their masters.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 27, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's creepy even in the English version, mind, but the whole thing is supposed to be tragic and cruel. Like many things in Tenra, really.
That isn't really a defense as you can write most of the problematic elements in a way that doesn't reads like someone who was shut in wrote it.

grassy gnoll posted:

You may be thinking about Diaper Girl*, the unfortunately-dressed ninjette under the dust cover. I'm not going to tread on Prof's writeup, but the director's commentary about that part may be what you're thinking of. It's also pretty much gold, and something I wish more RPGs would come with, translations or not.
Are we talking about the translator or the original creator because for the most part the translator kind of slams a lot of the artwork in the book?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It's telling that you could actually become a necrophiliac from looking at zombies in D&D in 2004 but even RIFTS had abandoned that poo poo for decades.

(Bonus awful points for D&D: it can also make you transsexual.)
You just keep on telling yourself that to make you feel better.
EDIT:
To clarify Alien Rope Burn is missing a ton of the weirder stuff from the Palladium system like the autistic magic class.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 19, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

IIRC, just the art was changed. I can only presume Palladium's ability to republish Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird's arts vanished along with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles license.
After the Bomb still has Eastman and Laird's artwork on it though.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Has anyone ever actually played a game of RIFTs as written? I've never heard of such a thing happening. I just hear people say 'Oh, RIFTS!' and then sad laughter.
Running RIFTs as written is impossible to do because even the most ardent of fans will tell you the game is missing rules.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

PresidentBeard posted:

I think most people who dislike Monsterhearts do because it isn't murderhoboing "like most RPGs" as you claim. That also really isn't the source of people not getting the motivations. After all Call of Cthulhu is a fairly popular game and in it the investigators have no reason to actually go out investigating. As soon as the supernatural horror stuff starts they should just book it back home and call the cops.
Every single story I've ever heard about Call of Cthulhu that makes it sound interesting involves murderhoboing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

Holy poo poo, the Serpentine is Lovecraft as hell, right down to visiting the horrors of miscegenation on someone you share the effects of your Sex Move with.
Its arguably more Southern Gothic as most of the themes from that genre are seen in the playbook. Its just that apparently most people don't read a lot of Southern Gothic because man that sex move emulates one of the most common short stories read in high school.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 22, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

Good point. I've had more exposure to Lovecraft than I have Southern Gothic, I'll admit. That may be a Canadian thing, since we have our own uneasily cohabiting cultures to be fascinated with.
Honestly, the only reason why I pointed it out is that Southern Gothic actually condemns a lot of the backward thinking of Lovecraft as warp and twisted. The miscegenation thing is still there but played up as the integration of new thoughts and ideas.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

It turns out the rules for that are found in the "Underwater combat" section.

Going 100+ft requires a Fort save every minute, inflicting 1d6 + 1d6 per 50ft subdual damage, with a DC equal to 15 + 1 per previous save until you go above 60ft.

So pressure can't actually kill you by itself; even at the deepest point of the ocean, you'll just pass out and drown, rather than being crushed. :v:
That seems like an incredibly weird oversight considering that vacuum damage on a fundamental level is pressure damage.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kavak posted:

Which one of you did Numenara? Because they made an... interesting supplement earlier this year.

(Seriously, this thread could survive for a year just of the stuff that comes up when you search Adult Content on DTRPG)
Actually from what I've heard its written in an adult way.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The first is basically a two-hit solution. You take one hit, you're wounded, you take two hits, you die. Oh, you don't like it? Well maybe you're just not brave enough or smart enough, Wick says. Realism, yo!

That isn't actually at all realistic though. You can hit a wide dichotomy of reactions to injuries that really you can inflict some pretty severe stuff and keep on trucking.
EDIT:
Also have you gotten to the chapter that contains the only sensible advise though Wick treats it like a stroke of genius that its still pretty obnoxious?

theironjef posted:

Who's running the Exalted kickstarter again?
Yeah from my Google+ feed there is apparently a lot of grumbling from inside the industry too about how pathetically run its been.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 3, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

I would honestly love to get my hands on AE. It came out when I was a snotty little grogling, and I think I missed some neat settings and mechanics.
Paizo is the weirdest company when it comes to that sort of stuff so I would wait until the holiday sale because AE games were on sale. Also, apparently TSR published Laser Tag books too.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, Ron Edwards is making poo poo Ages: the RPG. On the other hand when someone called him out on the whole rape thing he didn't throw a steam-powered hissy fit and instead actually went "hey, good point, I'll look into that." There's no guarantee he will or that anything good will come out of it but I want you to imagine what would happen if someone did that to, say, the RPGPundit or James Raggi.
He's still throwing a steam powered hissy fit over the offensive stuff he's said years ago so I really doubt anything is going to come from that whole discussion. The guy has the same pastey white guy syndrome as pretty much the two you listed.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

It honestly isn't and this idea that it does wraps into weird rear end nerd self loathing and self masturbatory "I'm better than the strawman neckbeard Other I fear I am". Name one widely raised nerd conspiracy theory and exaggeration that's said about her but not Bobby Kotick. Both were competent businessman who did anti consumer policies that both greatly helped and hindered their companies, and thereby earned the hatred of fans of their products. Sexism in tabletop gaming is a real deal like every fabric of business and everyday life, but claiming an extremely common phenomena found in every fandom from dorky poo poo to mainstream things like the management of sporting teams is not only pushing it but antithetical to solving stuff.
Yeah the sexism comes in when the other people running the company were inept morons who couldn't actually make a decent business deal with it was standing right in front of them. Seriously, in terms of lovely business deals WoTC and Hasbro are still screwed over by the inept deals that Gygax made but no one talks about that.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

TSR was killed mostly by Dragon Dice and unsold backstock, which killed most companies from that era in the 90's.
I've got to try that game sometime since apparently its popular enough to have a weekly event at my gaming store.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

She certainly did do that. Her mismanagement is how Wizards ended up buying TSR.
See..... No one ever mentions the stupid things that the Blume brothers did which actually put the company in dire straights.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 13, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kavak posted:

Seems to be something of a Herbert Hoover effect- she was there when the poo poo hit the fan, so she must be to blame.
I have a feeling it was less to do with her being there when poo poo hit the fan and more to do with the fact that the Blume's sold her stock to her as a giant gently caress you to Gygax.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was that like? I remember they even made a PC game out of it and I saw it once on G4TV or whatever the equivalent of it was in 90s and seeing 3d dice get thrown across the monitor blew my teenage mind.
Someone remind me to go to my gaming store on Monday and I'll find out. The game is still around and still being sold.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

PresidentBeard posted:

could you elaborate on these?
In terms of the Gygax thing I'd have to dig it up again but the rights for the D&D movie were something that he was involved in which is still a giant catastrophe for Hasbro and WoTC. Even the first movie had legal issues going for it as it was in perpetual hell.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Surely that can't be all? (Please say there's more)
Supposedly, the Blumes used TSR to acquire latchook rug kits but with Wikipedia being Wikipedia its not exactly something I would believe right off the bat.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

FMguru posted:

The red and orange dice represented the faction: lava elves
I don't know about you but in any other context that sounds amazing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

hyphz posted:

Dragon Dice is still going, I think - it got bought up by another company who rewrote most of the rules to eliminate breakages in the original.
Yeah it is. I didn't realize it was the TSR game at the time but I can definitely go play it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

From a few days ago but

These guys have been consistently at conventions like GenCon and PAX for a few years now. They were getting more traffic than Twilight Creations was for Zombies.
And to think D&D has come full circle and actually again has a dice game.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, it's not a "D&D" game anymore. It's called "Demon Dice" and they've pretty much turned it into a stand-alone product not tied to D&D.
I was referring to the fact that there is an official D&D dice game now called Battles of Faerun. Its the same people who made the Marvel dice game and the YuGiOh die game.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

The Tales from the Crypt boxed set was one of the first RPGs I owned. It's actually pretty interesting, although I'm not sure it can capture the feel of the show even if you run it as a series of one-shots. The concept for ongoing campaigns is that the Cryptkeeper drops the PCs' minds into the bodies of people in a horror scenario, so it's sort of like a cross between the show and "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream."

It goes without saying that Masterbook is a weird old clunky system that the game doesn't really need.
I remember that having the most disconcerting of disadvantage descriptions. I remember the example given for illiteracy being is that since you couldn't read you gave your daughter poison.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

theironjef posted:

Perfectly in character for the show though. I mean you wouldn't normally have an RPG where "Roll to give your daughter some juice" comes up, but it would totally happen on that show.
Yeah well it clashes with the artwork which for some reason features the crypt keeper dressed up from Elvis. Also, all the artwork is pictures from the show.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Huh? If we're talking about the Masterbook Tales from the Crypt, I can assure you that's not the case. The interior art is mostly bad-to-middling WEG art from that era, with a few really good pieces that are done up like old TftC magzine covers.
No its definitely Masterbook Tales from the Crypt.
EDIT:
Oooo you know what. We are talking about different books. You are talking about the Box Set while I own the standalone book.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 4, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rifts doesn't do much to grow beyond those early design notions, unfortunately, so if something turns out to be much better than a boom gun or a missile barrage than combat, it's probably an unintentional rules break.
The problem I have with this is that pretty much anything else in the game is better than a boom gun or a missile barrage and it always consistently hedges towards save vs. suck abilities. And there is a reason why I removed the save vs. part of that.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 9, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They have three political camps, which are:
I wonder how often Kevin copies stuff between books because this is the same exact description that is in the Lemuria book. Don't know if the Biomancer in that book is better but the armor is comparatively useful and actually has ranged abilities.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Kamen Rider, at least, is often more about the nature of power or strength in some way, or the meaning of humanity. I don't know toku nearly as well as I do magical girls, but magical girl stuff is, yes, friendship and love and joy - but in a way that is almost always making them the focus far more than any violence. Magical girl stuff is almost never an examination of the nature of strength or power - rather, the girls are chosen because of their emotional qualities, and their power is an outgrowth of those. Hell, there's been magical girl stuff in which there was literally no villain or threat to the world which are core genre staples. Cardcaptor Sakura, most notably. It is a formative show and it doesn't have a world-ending threat or evil villain. It has antagonists and threats, of course. But can you name a toku show anything like that, especially one core to toku?
Weirdly enough by your definition of magical girl ToQger would fit that criteria almost perfectly. I guess that is what happens when the Sentai theme is imagination choo choo train.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 18, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

unseenlibrarian posted:

It was Heinsoo that mentioned folks kept trying to buff the wizard and he had to fight them back down. Mearls...well. *Eyes the Essentials mage vs. all the Essentials Martials*
What was Tweet doing during that time period between 3E and when he was fired if he was in anyway involved with 4th edition I could see him throwing a fit?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Mearls didn't take over until essentials, which was fairly late in 4e's lifecycle. Before that martials and casters were on much more even footing, and power sources were really more thematic than anything else.

Yeah but Im talking about the pushback from other designers into making the Wizard overpowered. I didn't realize Tweet was still working at WoTC during 4E development and well he's definitely an out and out grognard when it comes to that sort of thing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Bacchante posted:

So, from black and hateful sources of which I am forbidden to speak of I have acquired the original and revised PDFs of FATAL. Sadly, the excess splatbooks are lost to the decaying annals of history... for now. With that in mind, I'm going to attempt to usurp the poster formerly known as Syrg's position as 'Worlds most foremost expert on FATAL' and finish the work that he started so long again.

For FATAL and Friends.
You can't though as I want to say that he has material that has never been released for that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

inklesspen posted:

Having homebrew for FATAL doesn't really count for anything.
If I remember correctly it wasn't homebrew. Someone gave him an unreleased Fatal supplement.

• Locked thread