Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
One of my friends got Testament really cheap online, and I flipped through it. The Egyptian wizard class is interesting, I'll give it that.

Yeah, do Testament!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I wish someone would take another crack at Buck Rogers XXVc. I know nothing about Buck Rogers, but if I'm not mistaken, didn't they take a pretty light series and turn it kinda dark and grim and serious?

I don't know too much about it either, but from what I gather, each various incarnation of Buck Rogers-- the 1920s/30s newspaper comic, the TV show with Gil Gerard and Erin Gray, TSR's XXVc setting and, to go full circle, High Adventure Cliffhangers-- is more or less a reimagining/continuity reboot. Sure, there's Buck, and Wilma, and most of the recurring characters, but the sci-fi aspect covers different terrain in each various incarnation.

You know, this is making me want to actually do a writeup for HAC.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

bathroomrage posted:

So they're literally just newmen from Phantasy Star at that point?

I wonder if there are any atrociously entertaining Phantasy Star fan rulebooks?

There's Train of Consecuences, which is basically just d20 Modern with homebrew unbalanced stuff and not-so-great post-PSIV setting. (And this is coming from somebody who insists Phantasy Star Online is also post-PSIV.)

Fun fact: This game made me want to make a Phantasy Star RPG of my own. (I based it on Star Wars: Saga Edition. That should tell you about how well it went, for good or for ill.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

bathroomrage posted:

I started reading that website and my eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

And that's fine, a long time ago I made a d20 supplement for Final Fantasy classes that never left my computer and was never finished. We've all done horrible things.

Oh, no no, I actually like Saga Edition; I worked at a gaming store for six hours back in 2006 and that was what I got paid with. I'm gonna defend Saga until the day I loving die.

And I guess this means I get a book (well, website) to read for potential F&Fing!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Nodachis and Buffcoats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Covok posted:

I hope this isn't a derail, but I'm curious if anyone reads roleplaying books like this normally? Like, from cover to cover?

I never do, personally, and this is why I'm curious. I just read the cool bits and the relevant-to-play bits. From then on, I only reference it again if I forget something important.

If this is a derail, ignore me.

I read them from cover to cover. I passed time during our Hurricane Sandy-related power outage by reading the D&D 4e Player's Handbook cover to cover. (I said when I started the 4e Monster Manual "Aboleth... oh, Christ, this is just three hundred pages of loving stat blocks, isn't this?" before setting it aside for the Big Eyes Small Mouth 3e book gathering dust on my bookshelf.)

• Locked thread