Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kurieg posted:

How are these idiots not all claimed yet?

For someone who doesn't know anything about WoD what is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Hostile V posted:

EURASIA

Zone Beijing

Next Time: 'Mericas.

I'm really enjoying this writeup because the setting is Terminator except cooler, but I sort of struggle to work out what you'd actually do. I googled around and found this writeup of a game: https://tekeli.li/reign-of-steel/ which is pretty cool, but heavily based out of the human friendly zones of UK/East coast US. Does the game ever cover off what you're supposed to do with, say, Mexico or Denver?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Hostile V posted:

Each Zone sorta has a hook depending on what you and your players want to do. It gives enough of an overview for most zones but stays hands off enough to let you improvise and come up with something. It doesn't necessarily cover what you're supposed to do because you're plopped down into a world and given the chance to try and change it or interact with it; to take your example, a Zone Mexico City campaign wouldn't need to be more complex than "escape Zone Mexico City because dear god this is a lovely place to live and game over when you reach safety or die trying" versus a Zone Denver campaign which could be "escape Zone Denver, or stop Zone Denver from experimenting with Brisbane's technology, or corrupt Zone Denver further, or...".

From what I know about the GURPs games I think I'd be pretty good just taking the framework and outline of the setting and applying it to something less crunchy.

I specifically struggle with Mexico (and to a lesser extent Berlin) because of the weirdness of the environment. The other jurisdictions use big conventional terminator style kill-bots, and you can see how interaction with those works. But with Mexico it doesn't feel like that players have a ton of options against swarms of nanobots or getting the plague virus. I guess Mexico has the bio-weapon testing islands, but yeah.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Hostile V posted:

Personally I don't feel like you have to be able to set a campaign in all of these different places, they're there to illustrate the disparity between the different Zoneminds' ways of thinking and execution. Mexico City really feels like it's just there to be a counterpoint to Overmind and a threat you don't want to let get any extra power and land, it's the far, faaaaaaaar end of the scale between the different beliefs of the AIs. Berlin I feel works well as a road bump along the way path of a bigger trip: if we're going to get to London, we're going to have to go through Paris, but first we have to go through Berlin. Berlin (and Caracas) also work as a stunning counterpart to the rest of the world. You've been doing pretty good so far skulking through ruined cities, avoiding plagues and radiation. How're you going to fare surviving in actual wilderness though, teeming with resurrected predators and absolutely no chance of any human amenities?

E: VVV This, pretty much. They're good Bad Places to have to get through but do not stick around longer than you need to because it really doesn't have much to offer the players in the way of fun or story or poo poo to do.

This is a good point about Berlin - it (and Paris, who also hates people) is kinda in the centre of things so you may have to transit through them - or raid them from Zone London. Doesn't really help with Mexico and Philippines though which are out of the way.

• Locked thread