Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

theironjef posted:

We read Maid. We're joined by a guest podcaster who helps us process exactly how horrible this all really is.

Two comments
The reason the game is d6 based is because gaming is even more of a niche hobby over there and dice other than d6 are hard to find.
Also the name of the super gay shoot em up game is Cho Aniki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's good to see that even in the posthuman an-cap future

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Doresh posted:

Mmh, how do I delete posts? Stupid dodgy internet connection <_<

You can't delete posts on SA, but if you just edit your post so people know it's an accidental double post, people don't mind.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kurieg posted:

Yes. If I'm reading this correctly, farming was the tipping point.

Satyros is going to turn out to be one of those guys who read Ishmael and is convinced we need to institute a massive die-off and return to being hunter-gatherers, because we cannot continue to sin by tilling the earth, isn't he?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am super excited for the Tales From The Crypt episode.

So many Crypt-Keeper impressions await us.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cythereal posted:

The Phenomenologists

If truth is in the eye of the beholder, then clearly there is no objective truth at all. This is the fundamental conceit of the Phenomenologists, a philosophical backlash against notions of objectivity and a rational view of the universe. To a Phenomenologist, reality is what you make of it. Certainly it's not down to any claim of truth or fact. The alien power of Inspiration doesn't help their claims to sanity, and Phenomenologists in general are a skip and a hop away from Illumination. Lemurians in general want the world to know about their existence, their power and brilliance, and if there's any overall philosophy to the Phenomenologists beyond a belief that the universe is fundamentally irrational and subjective, it's that if there's any truth to be had in the world it's in the power of Inspiration.

That is not how phenomenology works you loving White Wolf fangame.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

theironjef posted:

Space 1889! Did you want an interesting gaslight fantasy space RPG? Or did you want a boring, wordy, pointless, vaguely racist diatribe about the pluck of the 1880's British Empire and aqueduct design? Today, you get both.

:science:Phlogiston andAether are not the same thing! Aether was a thick substance thought to pervade space and make the transmission of light possible, while Phlogiston was a substance thought to exist in combustible bodies and make fire possible.:science:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It seems kind of weird for modern Colombia to associate itself with Conquistadors.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

theironjef posted:

It's mostly discussion about punk genres and answering questions about Tim Curry and Superman this week. Here's Afterthought 5: Rock, Punk.

The Bas-Lag books by China Mieville are much closer to punk than most steampunk books, to the point where the third book is entirely about a worker's revolution.

There's supposed to be an RPG based on them called Tales of New Crobuzon, but it's been perpetually delayed since 2008.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

NGDBSS posted:

Mostly because Gareth "Far West is totally coming out next week!" Skarka currently has the license.

God loving drat it. How long are people going to have to go off that issue of Dragon magazine adapting Bas-Lag to 3.5 D&D rules? How long?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Pinball posted:

Does anyone have the link to the archive of reviews? I went back a few pages and didn't see it.

Here you go

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wasn't the idea with Skum in 3.5 that they were the descendants of humans turned into fishmen by Aboleths, bred to be stupid and mindlessly loyal by the above?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

theironjef posted:

Noumenon is far and away the best game we've ever read that has the premise of soul-infused insect men aimlessly wandering the metaphysical hallways of an extradimensional mansion with a goofy name.

Noumenon actually means something closer to reality separated entirely from all possible perceptions of it! :eng101:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A little late, but I'm kind of disappointed in the Cosmo Knights, after the internet built them up as being insanely broken and overpowered.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mors Rattus posted:

Essentially: a giant pigman warlord decided he was kind of sick of being marginalized and out in the middle of nowhere, so he teamed up with a mad biologist to conquer all of the surrounding pigmen and is now turning them into his personal army of conquest while he tries to take up the mantle of being a noble gentleman with mixed success.

He spends a lot of time fighting Cajun vodoun gatormen.

I've been convinced, Warmachine is better than Warhammer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

theironjef posted:

Hi guys, here's some more System Mastery for you. It's Fifth Cycle, and it deserves only scorn and derision.

I've seen enough of these games based around the ability to roll a farmer that I kind of want to see an RPG based entirely about playing a farmer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Night10194 posted:

Would this be a farmer who has to deal with terrible beasts or some kind of exotic monster rancher, or just a chap trying not to starve when the Beet Famine comes?

I was thinking of the middle option, but any of these could work.

darthbob88 posted:

Why not both? I'd like to see a Farmer Giles of Ham RPG. "Confound it, Esther, there's a basilisk in the henhouse. Fetch my sword and a mirror." "Ach noo! That giant's going to trample my rutabagas! "

This is also a good. I'd play a game where you're a bunch of farmers, or blacksmiths or tanners and you have to work together to protect your village and livelihood from ogres or evil fairies, or whatever.

Occasionally adventurers come by, and you have to try really hard to con one of them into giving you their magical sword.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
HOL would be better if it was just Low Life

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am totally on board with Blimpleggers as long as it doesn't have to actually be attached to AD&D rules.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

theironjef posted:

Even our System Mastery standard podcast needs to have a Halloween episode, so here's The World of Tales from the Crypt! Please pretend I put some puns here, I'm completely spent on those.

I do think the shell system is kind of cool. You can do stuff like "Before you were in a spooky circus, but now you're in a spooky swamp" and have an easy transition. It also forces your characters to figure out a situation where they don't even know what role they're inhabiting yet, which could be cool. You and your party members get put into some shells, and then it turns out one of you is supposed to be the cult executioner.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Halloween Jack posted:

One of the suggested scenarios has the characters trapped in an elevator. Then the Cryptkeeper whispers into their heads "By the way, one of you is a werewolf."

The main problem with the shell system is that it does not in any way allow you to keep to the spirit of the show, which pretty much demands one-shots.

Tonight I learned M. Night Shyamalan is a thief.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Grnegsnspm posted:

Yeah. That definitely felt like an attempt to pad out the run time with some slapstick chuckle-head comedy. Even without that it's still just the story of some assholes, surrounded by assholes, with an idiot daughter they are terrified of disappointing like she was going to banish them to the cornfield.

People like the Kranks and company are why the Grinch stole Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

theironjef posted:

I don't usually post the movie episodes in here, since this is a gaming forum, but what the hell, here's Movie Mastery Holidayathon 2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special just because it's Star Wars.

That giant mouse in the Cantina was literally a prop from Food of the Gods.

• Locked thread