Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
If you're ever wondering how to represent the Occult Underground, read any biographical information at all about Church of Satan types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think that and the whole spy intrigues with other empires element might be derived from the novel The Peshawar Lancers, where the British Empire relocates to India and its other colonies after an apocalypse.

Young Freud posted:

Also, Japan would have routed by a resurgent Red Army and allied Chicoms.

Literally lol at the prospect of the USSR allying with the Chinese communists.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I would have guessed the sling, myself.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
It's (possibly not very good) German for "consumes blood".

source: my dad habitually describing food as "gut geschmeckt", good tasting

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Empire Of Satanis is the official GWAR RPG.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Ningyou posted:

"Although rapists exist among the Kithain, especially among ravaging Unseelie, most faeries agree that this is a heinous crime and do not condone it."

So are we talking "the vast majority" here or like, 3 out of 5?

pkfan2004 posted:

BDSM Cat Slave Dale Gribble

Mods

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
:psyduck:

Why would they do either of those things?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I always thought Promethean could stand to emphasize that more. I wonder whether Dead Inside is partly a response to PDQ being associated with super goofy beer-and-pretzels settings?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I feel like this is the beginning of a deep rabbit hole, but why is Asian philosophies (including Buddhism) a 'race' while Christian(?) apologetics is a class, and the only two religions are Catholic and Protestant? I won't even take that too close to a real-world direction, I don't understand how this is supposed to be organized.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Believe me, they were.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm not much a fan of Flame Princess, but that is a pretty intriguing premise for an adventure.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Even if it only makes sense if you view the adventure as a text to be read for the enjoyment of the DM rather than something of which all important parts are experienced by the players, the 'Better Than Any Man' thing is weirdly funny enough to work for me. It's like the giant encounter is a delayed punchline to the entire premise that gives that dungeon a gossamer-thin metaphorical connection to the rest of the adventure.

e: obviously it would be better if there was any way to communicate that phrase to the players during the encounter, or you know, gain any information from the giant

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
The bit about the origins of humanity on Tenra reminds me of Lord of Light, that could be an interesting lens to view the setting through. I'm imagining a game where history repeats itself as a Commodore Perry style advanced fleet suddenly appears to return Tenra to the jurisdiction of the larger human space empire.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
A very special guest appearance from Mister Guy Fieri.

Green Intern posted:

A goofy American Revolution-era ghost!

This one! This one!

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 29, 2014

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Actually Kojima is really good and in the tradition of Brecht's epic theatre

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

They controlled and comprised basically every other major party of the Nazi party. But Hitler was 100% human because the real monster is man.

Kurieg posted:

I'm pretty sure Mengele is still a Sabbat vampire of some stripe.

There was a Berlin sourcebook that made the really questionable decision to prominently include several of Hitler's inner circle as vampires.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
The big downside of Mummy for me is just how extremely complex it is. I almost turned my group off when we played it because character creation was so involved with so many choices, and there are a dozen fiddly subsystems to keep track of.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

I remember Kwyndig putting a really awesome spin on the Paragons setting for M&M,

When/where was this? It sounds interesting.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

I felt the same way about the "I trap an area, one 5' square at a time" class, in an environment where everyone has 3D movement. But since no one else's brought it up, maybe I'm the strange one?

I was wondering that too. Is this supplement mainly for adventuring on the sea floor? Or do they mean 5' cube and it's like floating traps?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
TORG is a very Buddhist roleplaying game.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

How do you mean?

I was mostly joking, but the idea of not being able to stick with your original character concept because you change so radically in different cosms, plus not being able to hold onto your trademark items from skills, really plays into the idea of nonattachment. It would actually be very interesting if it were intentional :v:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Kavak posted:

I'm more put off by the sudden, unnecessary Islamist uprising, it's giving me Cthulhutech vibes.

I think it's a reflection of being written in the mid-2000s, that kind of material strikes me as being heavily informed by the recent memory of 9/11 and wars in the middle east. I was reading through the official "World Gone Mad" setting for the superhero game Wild Talents the other day and it prominently features Mideast conflict and religious extremism as themes, it's really conspicuous in the same sense of the author needing to convey how this current issue important to them relates to the game.

Thinking of Wild Talents, would there be any interest in a writeup of Progenitor? It's an extremely well-written superhero setting book by Greg Stolze in the form of an alternate history from 1968-1999, emphasizing how superpowers drastically change the world and the idea of creating your own worst enemy.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Fakeedit: Plus the total whitewashing of the Human Genocide. "Then all the remaining humans just decided that they would all like to move back to Earth, where they were killed by Slenderman. The end."

I like that bit because it's so transparently just writing out the human loose ends now that they're no longer needed by the author.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

WELCOME TO FANTASY loving VIETNAM!!!

I take refuge in my faith in Ken Hite. The LotFP modules covered in this thread have usually been fascinating to read about, anyway, even when they sound terrible to play.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'd be curious to see a longish game of Genius in actual play. I don't want to knock it too much, but it does seem like the kind of game that's built more for the people who theorycraft on forums about Stuff That Would Be Awesome than like, use it in play.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

quote:

Misaki XE Laptop Computer: The hottest selling portable in Marketplace and Nippon, this unit features a fast RISC15 processor - a single chip containing the 16 bit video co-processor, floating point co-processor, and voice recognition processor. Comes with 16 Mb memory, 100 Mb storage, and weighs less than four pounds.

Think of the recipes you could put on that thing :eyepop:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think my least favorite was Mage: the Awakening's Paths. I always just ignored the boilerplate description of how all Obrimos are holy rollers or Mastigos are Tyler Durden because [no reason given]. Just here for the ruling Arcana, guys.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

wiegieman posted:

MOTB originally had an ending where you kick Kelemvor's teeth in and demolish the wall, but they took it out because they thought Wizards wouldn't let them do it. Then they found out later that they totally would have because of the upcoming 4e release.

I think the best you can do is the full-on super evil ending. The narrated ending slides say something like "all the gods gathered together to destroy her, and it is said by some that fewer gods left that battle than arrived". It really conspicuously goes out of its way not to say that any of the gods were slain even though that's clearly what's understood to be happening.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I played a game that wasn't WoD but was definitely modeled after it as a social worker who got involved first with Changelings and fae and then later became kind of a supernatural child services agent for the city of Baltimore, solving domestic disputes between werewolf tribes and runaway kids abducted by vampire cliques. It was some of the most fun I ever had with an urban fantasy game, just going around helping people and solving mysteries. It's definitely a legit and cool way to play.

That sounds really fun! I've always wanted to run a Hunter game centering on this compact from Spirit Slayers that tries to help and treat young werewolves to get their anger issues under control from a therapy perspective, with that same focus on solving problems and kind of being in the world rather than combat and horror.

"Okay, so the shapeshifting curse of the lunatic moon god and the blood oaths of your forsaken ancestors say that the wolf must hunt- but is that what YOU want to do, Steve?"

e: The Talbot Group is their name I think.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 30, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I really want to run or play a Division Six game for Hunter and do some Declare-style occult spy games. You could even do some crossover with the new Demon and the God-Machine stuff for extra conspiracy craziness.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Proxy magic in UA draws really heavily on Tim Powers. That's one of his favorite conceits, a magician trying to magically influence or steal an innocent's body and soul, or even just two people being magically linked by sympathy and getting flashes of the other. Last Call has a lot of it but it shows up frequently in his other stories.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

It seems like it would be pretty easy for Cliomancers who managed to obtain political or military power.

Of course, "All world leaders are Cliomancers, and they manipulate events to get themselves major charges," seems like a pretty UA thing.

There is a school that gains charges from impersonating iconic people, and the book suggests that one specific celebrity is racking up charges by building up a public persona and channeling himself.

e: "Many high-ranking policemen are initiates in a school of law-based anti-magick. They use the power gained from upholding the law to reinforce morality. They're fighting a war against a group of corrupt cops who use power from oppressing the innocent to further their own goals. Nearly half of police actions are somehow involved in this conflict."

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 8, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Solid start to a Proxy ritual if you wanted to become Charlie Chaplin for magickal purposes.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
One of the UA scenario books has a seriously scary Epideromancer NPC based on the principle that if they can survive the first few years of regular life-threatening injuries as they build charges, they come out the other side with some monster stats thanks to Body Like Iron and Preternatural Prowess.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Once you know Cliomancers exist, how do you believe anything about history?

This is when your GM decides if they want you to roll the Unnatural or the Helplessness checks first.

e:

Cythereal posted:

You're missing the point. From the perspective of historians, not Cliomancers, Cliomancers really don't do anything. So what if they change what the academic world thinks? The academic world revises itself and reexamines evidence all the time. It's fully expected that what's currently believed will be discredited in time. Cliomancers wouldn't be a blip in the academic world at all. They affect popular history, sure, but their abilities really aren't very profound or meaningful.

I detect a slightly defensive academic.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, if the GM goes out of their way to downplay the impact of a Cliomancy major effect, the thing which is intended as a once-in-a-campaign climactic magical event, Cliomancers will come off looking pretty silly.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Next time: Drug addicts, hippies and burnouts fight spirits.

Please post the character portrait for these guys. I swear the artist must have gotten the instructions "draw some hippy tripping" and misinterpreted them.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

:allears:

I really do like the Talbot Group, especially the angle of families trying to recover children who've become werewolves. It's a side of this kind of modern supernatural setting that gets ignored or glossed over pretty often. Like how werewolf characters are often described as never really having been human, their true family is the pack or they connect with the wandering uncle who tells them the hidden family secret or whatever and the decade or more of being raised by their parents is shucked. These guys are an intrusion of the concerns of the mortal world into the badass supernatural, the idea that the story of your "pre-game" mortal life isn't over, which interests me a lot. Behind the teenage runaway being initiated by violent strangers into a strange new world of spirits and learning about their ancestral bond to Father Wolf and Luna is mom and dad desperately looking for answers to what happened to their daughter and how they can bring her back.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Why doesn't anyone like Les Mysteres :smith:

I have a soft spot for both getting powers from spirit possession in general (and their Endowments are pretty solid iirc) and the idea of turning Forsaken on its head and working with rogue spirits and the Pure because you want the same things. "Sure, the Uratha want to keep spirit and flesh separate, but why should I? Spirits are great!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Well, there's that. I remember reading Book of Spirits to try to get a better handle on how exactly the Shadow and everything actually worked, and it was really noticeable that all of the spirits were pretty horrible. The writers really love the idea of "murder/pain/blood spirits" in particular, those phrases pop up a lot when spirits are mentioned in nWoD.

• Locked thread