Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Gerund posted:

I'll still never forget reading KJA's deep, loving appreciation of the training of storm troopers. The dipshit mooks of the sci fi canon being given the same hallowed tones reserved for the least self-aware WH40k Space Marine fan-fiction.

This reminds me of being surprised in WEG Star Wars when stormtroopers kicked our asses because we didn't know they were scaled for the movie characters and not us--new characters who assumed we'd be like the movie characters. Silly us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

theironjef posted:

Movie characters is this case is assumed to include such luminaries as "Ewok with a rock." Return more or less scrubs the notion that stormtroopers would look super badass if they weren't always hunting the heroes.

If I remember right, in the old pre-EU WEG game movie main characters were statted with lots of dice in their best stuff Han with 10D ib Blaster Pistol. Ewoks? I got nothin' to defend the relative badassitude of stormtroopers in that case. In old WEG stormtroopers were supposed to be an elite military force based on Ben Kenobi's assessment of their So Precise Blaster Fire. (Remember, this is pre-EU, so the lore since then doesn't matter). I don't demand that games be exactly like movies because they have different objectives, but we never see these regular units stormtroopers are supposed to be better than, we came to shoot stormtroopers, and we should at least be of plausible stormtrooper shooting ability.

I don't know. Maybe Ewoks are chimpanzee strong or something. That would be a hilarious thing to make EU canon. It would remind me of Zahn's Secret Wookiee Claws.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
Toon would work great as the Regular Show RPG, if you replaced some of the tables.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It appears that that's okay with Siembedia, and that Palladium's first priority isn't to innovate, or to grow their brand, but to provide a living for the handful of full-time employees who have been there for 20+ years. He would certainly like for the movie and video game deals to take off, but he's not going to risk his more-or-less comfortable living to do that, much less to bring the game-as-written in line with the game as he supposedly plays it himself. (I believe Malcolm Sheppard approached them about doing a spin-off game that would use a much simpler version of the system that was still fully compatible, and they declined.)

What I did was send a kind of elevator pitch with this in mind: I would write, design, layout and co-publish an RPG with them that used a revision of Palladium's house system in exchange for a decent royalty. The idea was that Palladium could get these design assets for *nothing* and if they didn't like them, could dump them, *and* would get a product they didn't have to pay for (and if it had gone further, I would suggest get printed on a PoD regime). I would even hire my own artists and editors. In return, I would get Palladium branding, fulfillment and fan access, most of which costs them nothing, because it's valuable enough to take that risk on.

Now to be fair, AlexM over there is very accessible and said no upon initial contact, so it's not as if they got the whole spiel I was prepared to provide.

As for the Palladium system itself, it has some definite gems in its easy action-adventure focus, and how it asks for minimal abstraction in narrating action. (One punch=1 die roll!) It has a bunch of issues, too, but I think it would be possible to develop a great game working from what's there. Some of the individual games have moments of brilliance, and Kevin S knows his comic book-style SF and even stuff he didn't write benefits from that kind of creative direction. I mean, something like Guardians of the Galaxy is totally Palladium.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

All of Genius is basically, "Mage, but using a ray-gun instead of a wand is now mandatory."

Yeah, Genius is basically someone who was mad at half of the old Mage getting even angrier at the new Mage. I think there are even special "ignore Mage" guidelines in the book, that guy was so mad. Basically this is a game for people who want play cool mad scientists, but are also the sort to type SOKAL AFFAIR in all caps to indicate their cleverness. I admire this balancing act.

• Locked thread