Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LatwPIAT posted:

Among the greater faults Brucato makes in M20 is to completely steamroll the concept of a Paradigm. Several examples will involve characters using magick that is out-of-paradigm to them; the one that most readily comes to mind in the Virtual Adept casting spells with Kung Fu and dropping acid when the entire point of Virtual Adepts is that they believe the universe is a computer they can reprogram. There's also the occasionally hilarious "Focus" each splat is given, which is related to how the cast magick, and for the Virtual Adepts include "androgynous clothing" and "manga-inspired hairstyles".

I re-read the passage I was referring to and it's not actually about the Mystic Hermaphrodite archetype as much as it is about Brucato betraying his biases about trans people. He steps in the salad when talking about Verbena hierarchies:

And later he drops this line:

Quite a lot of trans people - me included - take umbrage at any claim or implication that we're not male-or-female-(circle-one), and several other trans people I've talked with, like me, are offended by the appropriation of trans identities as something "magickal" rather than something mundane and normal. That he writes this betrays an ignorance and/or lack of regard for the disenfranchised minority he tries to score brownie points with by including in his book.

(Also the claim that transhumanist circles are more trans than not. :V )

I'd be tempted to write a review of M20 here - and there are some hillarious gems in it, like how picking up 6 Paradox permanently turns you into a ticking timebomb - but it would be a mean-spirited hate-reading, so I'm not sure whether it would be fair to do so...

Mean spirited hate readings are basically what I do here. if the source material deserves it why are you holding back?

Also yes, Brucato still adheres to the mindset that being able to transcend the gender binary gives you majikk powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

I have no idea why I'm defending Brucato so much - he seems like a lovely writer and a lovely person - but what makes his handing of 'trans-is-magick' worse than Unknown Armies' Archtype and The Freak? Is it because it's generally better written and better researched, or does an older game get more leeway?

To a certain extent, yes. Also Unknown Armies doesn't juxtapose "Transpeople are majykk" against "Don't actually play nephandi or you will summon the unbidden ones that gnaw at the walls of the world!" You never get the feeling that the UA writers actually believe what they're saying is true, where as Brucato is a documented nutcase.

Also I'm not 100% familiar with how Avatars work in UA, but isn't the point of them that you're intentionally destroying your sense of self to adhere to some kind of gestalt concept that only exists in mankind's collective unconsciousness? That's doesn't seem like a metaphor for trans people to me, nor do I believe it was intended as one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

W20 ran into some of those problems because they have things like "the irish tribe", "The Mystic Native American Tribe" and "The Angry Native American Tribe" but they're a lot harder to excise since they're part of the games premise and they did what they could to minimize it and break some of the stereotypes in the W20 core and subsequent books.

Brucato added that stuff in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Year of the Lotus was especially hosed because it had gems like the kitsune to go with all of the Kuei-Jin, Black Rain late 80's, early 90's Nipponophobia that was still a thing I guess in the late 90's. They wanted everything to be more powerful in Asia for some reason, along with massive heapings of Orientalism.

Well, as printed the Hengeyokai book was pretty goddamned terrible. It's just that Werewolf didn't abandon the YOTL material after it moved on, PGTTCB and CB20 both have extensive sections on both the Kitsune and the Emerald Courts. And they toned down the "WE'RE SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU! SUCK MY EIGHT TAILS GAIJIN!" by a lot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

Tribes in W20 also had at least some flex in it - I think they did anyway. Was there a formal way to change tribes? Like over half of them seemed like you could join them from other tribal backgrounds or as a random lost cub. COGgies, Bone Gnawers, Black Furies (if female), Stargazers maybe, etc. I think you could even join the Uktena if you were an outlander. (Not the Wendigo tho, presumably.)

Yes, the Rite of Renunciation could be used to switch tribes as well as auspices, if necessary. But until you were an initiate in a tribe there wasn't an excessive amount of stigma in trying to go someplace else if your heart wasn't in it. Where as a Renunciation Switch Did carry quite a bit with it since obviously you hosed up the first time.

Bone Gnawers, Black Furies (if you were female), Coggies, Glass Walkers(They were desperate for new blood due to their dwindling lupus population), Get of Fenris(if you really impressed them), Red Talons(If you were a Lupus), Uktenna(if you weren't white), and Stargazers... maybe? It had more to do with how the person who introduced you to the tribe was feeling that day and if they thought that you would serve some purpose in doing so.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

One of the Second Edition iconics is a white Wendigo Philodox named Evan Heals-The-Past.

I think he was part Native American but I remember him having no idea about any of that. I would imagine the totems would be down with anyone they deemed worthy.

EDIT: I think the strictest one was Griffin because the Red Talons were strict on the no homids rule.

The Wendigo tribe wasn't too happy about him being chosen by the totems, but the spirits told them that if they had a problem with it they could ask the spirit of hunger and cannibalism themselves. So far no one has gotten a good answer to their questions.

As far as Griffin, he's legitimately insane and the Talons have the totem they want.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

At the same time, that's part of the Red Talon's hypocrisy that required a really good writer to point out and draw attention to. The tribes, and the nation as a whole, were always meant to self police. The local spirits would run and tell a Theurge or some other entity and try and get attention drawn to their crimes.

But the Red Talons lie they use duplicity and deceit to pull off their poo poo, they use the human mind they so despise to facilitate their crimes. And the hatred of man that they adore so much comes not from their "Wolf Heart" but the human mind as well, I'm pretty sure Wolves aren't capable of the kind of religious fervor they put into. But that's also why they're dying out. Their wolf packs are loving scared of them. They aren't acting like wolves anymore, they're acting like they've convinced themselves wolves should be, but they're so afraid of self reflection, the kind of thinking that would expose this to them, that they're just running with it and destroying their tribe.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They're not supposed to be the force for Balance, they're just doing their best to fill the role because the current guy in charge of balance is raveneningly insane and trying to destroy reality and turn the planet into a festering radioactive heap.

Things would probably be better if the War of Rage hadn't happened, sure, but the blame for that shouldn't fall solely at the Garou's paws.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Fatal and Friends Fourth Edition: Chronicles of Dorkness

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Hc Svnt Dracones: Extended Core

Hello small hyena child, gaze unto my magnificent junk.

quote:

One of the points of living inside is that you don't get loving rained on. Why would you add rain to the inside of a goddamn building unless you were a loving idiot. There are even indoor storms. The writing also suffers terribly from sounding like something out of Moon People at times, where the author(even when its in a 10-year-old girl's voice) gives incredibly specific measurements of size on things that no one would ever need. Why would I need to know that exactly every 1000 square feet of the arcology is a modular section that can be removed and replaced? Why would I need to know that the bridge to the next arcology is exactly a mile long and a thousand feet wide? This doesn't even add any drat sense of scale.

I think the idea here is that they've basically created a bunch of space colonies in cubes and stacked them on top of eachother. So you've got a big open cube with smaller buildings in it, so it's raining outside (so your grass and flowers can get watered, etc) but you still have a house that you can sit in and not get wet. ALA O'Neill cylinders.

quote:

Birth method is determined by the father; if he is a male of an egg-laying species, the child will be born in an egg, regardless of the species of the child or the mother. Likewise if the father is a live-birth species, the child will be born live regardless of its, or its mother’s, species. This can result in a number of occurrences we as humans see as unnatural (cats laying eggs, birds giving live birth, dogs hatching out of a shell, etc.)
So the birth method is determined by the father but the species is determined by the mother? That's basically the exact opposite of every other place I've seen something like this occurring. He's basically saying that all vectors have both a normal uterus as well as all the mechanical stuff to produce eggs, just waiting for daddy's sperm to tell them which organs to use. But how does that work for Ovuliparous or Ovo-viviparous daddies? I mean they've got loving sharks, do they know how sharks reproduce?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Most of the oWoD fans I know would read the fluff as gospel, no matter how hinky or obviously unreliable the narrator is, and fight you tooth and nail over its veracity... which is great when you're in character, playing a doomed highborn wolfchild, but doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion when it informs your assumptions about the game itself.

The writers for the core material were way too subtle. Sure, the hints are there, but I think most people look to the corebooks for objective truths about the game, like 'These are the mechanics', 'this is the history of the world', and 'these are the conceits we're building on'. When you have an unreliable narrator from the word 'go', when large portions of your player base may not even know what an unreliable narrator is or how to identify it, you're asking for trouble. And that's before metaplot rears its ugly head.

The problem is that a lot of the oWoD corebook fluff is presented as gospel and not being spoken by any narrator. The splatbooks are where you get the unreliable narrator (Or in the case of Tribebook: Stargazer, ten of them).

The CofD books is where you start to see them literally stating "All of these things could be true, or none of them could be".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

I may be giving the oWoD writers far too much credit, but I seem to remember passages with definite disconnections between things as practiced and things as preached, across the corebooks for different product lines. Not that any of it really matters when you end up with metaplot churning things up beyond recognition.

Oh they had definite in character sections, but I remember Werewolf's history segment being presented as more or less Gospel. But like you said, metaplot churns it up and it rapidly becomes "Well it was sort of gospel but there's no way a werewolf would know these things so it's sort of in character and oh god please put the knives away."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The problem is that the War of Rage already paints Garou in a very negative light. The revisionism came from some of the Fera books where the other breeds explain their own culpability or provide details that the garou had forgotten or never knew about in the first place. Turning it more into something like if Putin's wife died while visiting the US on a diplomatic mission, and the US' response was "Serves you right you warmongering rear end in a top hat."

That's not even getting into the part where you find out that the person who killed said Garou was one of the Nagah, and the Nagah didn't admit it because their leaders figured that they were the most important fera and admitting their culpability would turn the entire Gaian world against them, so they hid and let everyone else die.

E: You get somewhat of a sense that the reason the Fera are forgiving the Garou now is because they know they're somewhat culpable, but they're keeping the finer details secret because the Current generation are fairly level headed and concillatory and they'd be understandably miffed if they found out they've been hoodwinked for however many millenia.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 6, 2016

• Locked thread