Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Spoilers Below posted:

Same here. It fostered a lot of my early interest in philosophy, got me to read a lot of books I wouldn't have otherwise touched, and and taught me a ton about relativism and perspective.

Now that I'm not in high school anymore and have a philosophy degree and actually work with disadvantaged groups on a daily basis, so much of it just either rings false, or I can successfully argue against to my satisfaction. I guess that makes me part of the duped technocratic masses, forever corrupted and banal, unable to see the bright dreams of awesome mages lording their powers over the unwashed? :geno:

I absolutely agree with the idea that nWoD is what happened when all the "Never Trust Anyone Over 30" oWoD writers suddenly found themselves in their mid-30s and that the world wasn't anything like the gothic/cyber-punk dream we'd been promised in the 90s.

I think this is one of the reasons I still like Sorcerous Crusade, actually. The Order of Reason and the proto-Traditions aren't a case of banal evil murderbots vs enlightened Magi; the fact is that many of the OoR types honestly want what's better for the common man, while the the Traditions often want to hold onto their power no matter the cost. Despite being about as historically accurate as most Saturday morning cartoons, the conflict felt a lot more interesting and less "Fight the power! who happens to provide clean water and electricity..." than M:tA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Mexcillent posted:

This is actually untrue. The Order of Reason want what's best for Europe's burgeoning mercantile class, nobility, and clergy. The Traditions are on their heels and just trying to survive like they do for the next 500 years.

It's been a long time since I ran a game of it, so you're probably more on the money. I remember the Craftmasons and ... Hippocratic Circle? being generally pro- decent living for the common man, but I could just be misremembering it.

quote:

But, with all the weird TG baseless hostility toward perceived threats in White Wolf writing I wouldn't expect someone to have ever really thought about Sorceror's Crusade all that much.

What are you going on about, now?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I have to wonder: has there ever been a good game about pirates? Particularly one with good rules for sailing and boats?

I'm a fan of Honor and Intrigue.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

PresidentBeard posted:

This is literally the best sort of thing D&D does.

Sadly, that book didn't do it particularly well.

Though I did briefly play a half-celestial anthropomorphic giant squid. That was fun.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Green Intern posted:

That man's legs don't match at all.

You leave Stumpy Bill alone. He's the only one with a gun.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

I'm going to say Core Command. I heard it was a mess with some neat ideas.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Plague of Hats posted:

Wait, what? I thought you only took one CC regardless. How does having more than one even work?

Welcome to Rifts (TM) (C) (R) motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

CommissarMega posted:

Man, Through the Breach is sounding cooler and cooler the more I read about it :allears: How's the parent game like? I used to play 40K, but the massively high prices and rules revisions (combined with the fact that I'm a rubbish painter) got me out of the hobby. I like playing with plastic mans though, and from what I hear the minis scene is kind of cooling down near me, so I'm thinking of literally bringing something new to the table.

EDIT: Hit 'Submit' a little too early.

Generally a lot of fun, with an easy in point in the form of the crew boxes and the small version of the rulebook. The biggest problem the game has is Wyrd ' s reliance on Chinese manufacturers; occasionally things get delayed waaaaaay past their initial release date due to issues.

• Locked thread