Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

InShaneee posted:

And that's about all for this book. The rest consists of a King in Yellow themed tarot deck, an appendix on psychic powers, a series of scientific papers on Mythos topics to be used as seeds/handouts, a couple of adventures (A Victim of the Art, the aforementioned Night Floors, and Dead Letter), and an enormous, comprehensive, and tragically out of date listing of major international security agencies. And that's that for Countdown, my favorite DG book. I don't have a copy of Eyes Only in PDF, so for convenience sake, I'll likely to the newest book, Targets of Opportunity, next, unless people would rather hear about some adventures.

I happened to be rereading this last night. It's really one of Tyne's better little pieces, even if it feels a little closer to UA than DG. After doing research on a Tarot-based game for the January contest, man, that Tarot deck is really creepy. It's just a mythos themed tarot deck, but it feels right for a weird artifact.

There was some good research done here, because the cards in the King in Yellow tarot have imagery that implies symbolism nearly, but not quite the same as the Waite-Rider-Smith deck, as far as my limited knowledge can determine. The differences are what really make it work, because they fit the them perfectly and yet are also super weird. The cards usually alter the imagery behind them while keeping the underlying theme intact, but in a twisted manner.

I don't want to go through them all, but, like, in the WRS deck there's only one Fool, who is pictured about to step off a cliff into the unknown, but in the King in Yellow deck it's a team of fools, with hidden features, who balance along the precipice, (probably) best representing an innocent Delta Green team.

"The World" depicts Carcosa with two moons. The card usually has meanings associated with completion and success. What's success for Hastur, but the replacement of Earth with Carcosa?

Also, The Emperor has been replaced with the King in Yellow, who usurps the final slot in the Major Arcana as a second Heirophant, above the World. That's just perfect.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Cthrax, Astakhor, and Serratine are available at your local pharmacy. Ask your doctor before using any medication. Cthrax and Astakor should not be used if you are nursing, pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant. Side effects of Serratine may include Xill lung, erratic Derro syndrome, and Glebshay.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

oriongates posted:

So, finally completed the WLD, and thank god. Next time I think I'll dedicate myself to a write up for a game I actually enjoy

I'll leave you with the depressing words of Jim Pinto, line developer and editor of the WLD:

"I've read the majority of the text at least twice, and this book is about as good as anything I ever do is going to get. This is my magnum opus."

World's Largest City, then?

The World's Largest City's actual product description on Amazon posted:

WARNING: Travel Advisory from the Wizard Council of Alderac. At this time the World's Largest City has been declared unsafe for standard tourism. There have been numerous reports of undead horrors running amok in the sewers, and possibly fouling the drinking water. The Thieves Guild has run rampant across the many marketplaces filled with a plethora of dishonest merchants. Current reports of a local government made unstable by actions of rogue wizards and nobles make for considerable danger and possible outbreak of civil disturbance.
WANTED: The Wizard Council of Alderac is hereby looking for adventurers to travel to the World's Largest City and help restore order to it's many and varied streets! The Wizard Council of Alderac has had reports of tourists in the World's Largest City disappearing in the night, and it is believed that they may have fallen prey to the Thieves Guild or maybe the undead running amok in the sewers or rogue wizards and secret societies the list goes
Emphasis mine, and yes, it just cuts off at the word "goes".

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Common wisdom in Call of Cthulhu seems to be "burn the books, keep your eyes shut as long as feasible, and run from monsters". But the one time I played it, the group's deal was about investigating legends of Prestor John in 16th-century Europe/Africa/Asia. And when we found out that the mythos was actually A Thing (the legends of Prestor John turned out to be a hidden cult of Glaaki), we sprinted in the complete opposite direction of common wisdom.

By the end:
  • We kept (and read) all the Mythos-related books we could find.
  • Half of us knew magical spells.
  • My character had kept detailed journals of everything that had occurred and was shipping them back to his family in Adana.
  • Two of the others started a syncretic cult linking the Mythos and Catholicism.
  • We nearly killed a shoggoth with judicious use of gunpowder. (And then the survivors ran for it.)
  • All of us willingly became cultists of Tsathoggua.
  • All but my character were dead and stuck in the Dreamlands.
  • Oh yeah, we kinda banished Glaaki.

Y'know I might be remembering wrong, but isn't Tsathoggua a pretty good deal all things considered compared to the majority of Mythos entities other than, like Nodens?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bacchante posted:

... please tell me which issue that was in.
#352. And when I googled "Bas Lag Dragon Magazine", as one is wont to do when prompted, I found the beautiful, perfectly home-made map of the setting he did as reference for their map.

• Locked thread