Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I like owning the 2E Changing corebook because of the Tony DiTerlizzi art. Please stop making me consider throwing it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I'll mention that the one game I briefly played of C:tL (it died out within a few sessions) stirred stronger emotions in me than any other WoD game I've ever played (though I never played Wraith which's its own kettle). Point being, C:tL is a pretty good game.

It would be cool to use what's salvageable from the Dreaming for the Lost.

Still wanna do a Best of Both Worlds version of WoD.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The Leper Colon V posted:

I think the best WoD system for "Best of Both Worlds" would probably be Vampire. You get the hierarchy and developed politics and mythology of Masquerade, and the touches of self-awareness and improved mechanics of Requiem. (Especially the reading-between-the-lines implications that a lot of the reasons things are the way they are is because almost every kindred is emotionally frozen at their mental age when they were embraced.)

Yeah the idea of rolling VtM and VtR into each other is what touched off this line of thinking for me in the first place.

Cardiovorax posted:

Also nMage, because every setting that has loving Atlantis as its primary conceit is retarded by default.

Why? Atlantis is a a classic concept.

Kurieg posted:

If there's one thing that nWoD does better than oWoD its combat. I tried running oWoD Combat in a Play by Post, it took weeks.

Oh I would absolutely use nWoD rules. The Translation Guides seem pretty solid.

Kavak posted:

I don't see how that helps with space combat, though. What kind of Disciplines would you give the Borg, anyway?

The Borg are pretty clearly a bloodline of the Tzimisce.

The Leper Colon V posted:

I can't tell if you're punning or if I misinterpreted a post somewhere.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Because it is a cliché so ancient it's literally pre-Christian and played out in just absolutely every sense imaginable. Anybody who uses it is scraping the bottom of the creative barrel hard enough to make a hole in it.

What if I swap out Atlantis and replace it with Lemuria, Mu, Ys or Hy-Brasil?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm taking a hiatus! I was already taking a year+ hiatus from my MERP review, which I really do intend to finish, honest.

Speaking of Iron Crown Enterprises, I'm thinking of doing Shadow World for this thread. I have the 4th Edition Master Atlas, which was one of the few products released by the new ICE, funded by a bunch of angel investors and which as far as I know, is in some sort of weird limbo since 2003 after releasing a new edition of Rolemaster. It's a pretty cool science fantasy setting, but it's necessary to tease it out of the acronym heavy and weirdly named skills for everything world of the Rolemaster system. The only problem is, I have very little knowledge of Rolemaster itself, so I'm not sure I'm the best candidate for writing about a product for it. That might be an interesting angle though - what does someone not familiar with the mechanics, who only has the book because of the setting make of it? Is it worth getting for that reason?

As an aside, Shadow World's creator Terry K. Amthor is a really interesting guy, one of the founders of ICE and I believe the first openly gay designer in gaming. He wrote an article called "Queer as a Three-Sided Die" for White Wolf Magazine that was sort of an opening salvo in making the hobby more inclusive. I know the name is now being used for an annual panel at GenCon about the experience of being gay in the hobby.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 14, 2014

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Hc Svnt Dracones really reads like Creepypasta: the RPG.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Baofu posted:

I'm not much of a surgeon but why would you put a mirror above the operating table? That dude looks like he's freaking out looking at his own face.

Well if the Cardassian otherkin doctor's expression is anything to go by, she's purposely trying to terrify her patient.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Covok posted:

I'm fairly certain he is dead considering his injuries and how the guy is manipulating the arm.

The picture is so poorly drawn it's hard to tell. And who knows? Maybe skullfaced wolfmen (Or is he a Man-Bat?) are a distinct race.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Torg is the very epitome of 90s game from what I've seen so far. Salvageable concept, but not in the current form. That's more what I meant. Dimension hopping craziness with PCs turning into stuff that fits wherever they go if they're not careful but having a limited ability to break the rules? Definitely not a bad base concept. Just everything about the execution is terrible.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am a grog and a simulationist and even I think the Torg system of spell-casting is easily the worst part of the entire game. Nothing else even comes close to the confusion and fury this one system creates mostly because so much of it is loving unnecessary and is mathematician wank bait.

Since Torg is one of the two current Bundle of Holdings, I saw a post about how it "Takes the concept of Rifts and fixes it". I'm not sure I can even agree with that, because at least Rifts is someone's 1e houserules so it's playable at least. Also, you can cast spells without your head exploding.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

So if I understand Albedo right, it's a pretty serious, somewhat-hard military-sci-fi series, which is critically acclaimed and deals with adult relationships. That the characters are anthropomorphic animals is more or less a stylistic choice. Is that right?

It's also notable for being the comic that Usagi Yojimbo debuted in, when it was an anthology. I once got banned from a comics forum for saying I liked Usagi Yojimbo during that period ten years ago when the entire internet was witch hunting for "secret furries".

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You don't need to cover FATAL, thankfully, I think it's been beaten into the earth well enough. It doesn't need any more attention. But yeah, I don't get what's up with heartbreakers like that, do they really think people want to play turnip farmers or a cooper or a candlemaker? There's just no design focus or real thought about what the game was going to be actually about, other than some vague handwaving in D&D's direction.

If the cult popularity of Harn shows us anything it's that there's a small audience of people who really do want to play smiths and bakers in their fantasy RPGs. I'm not sure about the game itself in terms of rules, but Harn is a pretty cool setting and there are interesting scenarios like 100 Bushels of Rye. But FATAL isn't the game to do this with, or anything.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

theironjef posted:

A missed connection there, he was talking about our podcast review of Fantasy Imperium. Which is definitely one of those "roll to see if you make candles or professionally collect urine" types of games.

My bad but it seems like if you replace "FATAL" with "Fantasy Imperium" in my post, it will say the same thing. Seems like a crap game too.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I vote for Orrorsh because it's an anagram for "Horrors" and knowing that I can't help but laugh every time I see the name.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Putting old-fashioned samurai and ninjas in a near-future Japan's kind of like putting old-fashioned armored knights in a near-future Britain, don't you think?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

MiB is at least playable, about 1% as complicated as Torg, and not awful, but the humour is all wrong. Which is to be expected. You can't really adapt the buddy-cop dynamic from the movie to a group of experienced PCs. Whereas from what I've heard about Paranoia 5, it's too complicated and just painfully unfunny.

Isn't that the edition that had a really bad comic adaption that was a straightforward post-apocalyptic, humorless sci-fi story?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Which is the Vampire book that gives Caine a statblock of "The PCs lose?" I know it's not Gehenna.

Based on this thread, it's either actually a Ravnos in Berlin By Night who was pretending to be Caine, or just an old joke.

I don't mind Caine being invulnerable so much, because trying to kill him is probably the most boring thing a VtM game can be about. Even ones about vampire swordfights on the moon. Now granted oWoD had it's share of robbing PCs of agency, but I can live with that example. Invulnerable Justicars though, not so much. I'd rather play up the whole "all of Caine's endeavors are tainted" aspect if I'm going to use him anyway.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 15, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I think the best handling of that was possibly old Marvel Super Heroes, where it was assumed while you'd want to hang out with the Avengers and X-Men because why else would you specifically buy a game with "Marvel" in the title instead of Champions or Villains & Vigilantes and have adventures where you fight Sentinels with Wolverine and solve mysteries with Captain America, you still want your characters to be cool and do stuff on their own and create their own continuities.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

ascendance posted:

This is actually not an inaccurate claim. SF2 added the giant cast of characters which has since become a staple of the fighting game genre. In SF1, you had the choice of Ken and Ryu.

Street Fighter 1 is also a terrible game. Most fighters before Street Fighter 2 were awkward and stiff martial arts tournament sports games.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kurieg posted:

How quickly we forget Yie Air Kung Fu

I did say most, YAKF was an exception. I'm pretty sure it was influential on Capcom too.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I came across a Heartbreaker made in TYOOL 2015 while stumbling through /tg/

The author calls it "Dungeons and Dragons Redux", and they draw from a bunch of different sources: BECMI classes, AD&D Player's Option's initiative system, DCC's Mighty Feat die for Fighters, 5th Edition's entire skill check system, 3rd Edition's +1 ability modifier every 2 ability scores, but then you get to this part:

3d6-in-order for a game where the difference between 10 and 18 is a +4 :fuckoff:

Is the game worth ignoring that part, or is it a general mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Sounds kind of like that Dungeons the Dragoning thing but for old school D&D.

• Locked thread