Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Pope Guilty posted:

But Wraith. :smith:

Wraith existed in a universe where that wasn't an issue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

You could say it was Another Time, Another Land! :v:

Good Things About Mummy

Once you dig out all the gems, it really is full of good ideas, buried as they are in a mountain of :words:. The whole backstory itself is really cool, with an ancient prehistoric empire of half-gods turning their whole civilization into a spell ritual, maybe, with a good mixture of hooks and constraints. You arise in glory and have to marshal your resources to fulfill your goals before you Descend back into Duat. You've got ready access to ancient cults and cool tombs. Basic mummy powers are mostly always-on affairs with some bells and whistles added on by Willpower, and while your slots for them are relatively limited you have a lot of attractive choices to plug into them. Utterances, the big gently caress-off powers, are at least evocative and impressive, helping to convey that you're an eternal sorcerer-revenant thingy sent back by alien gods to impose terrible edicts on the human world, even if that edict is "gimme that magic pottery." The tension between trying to reconcile your sense of individuality with the fact that you are an immortal servant of terrifying monsters is really cool.

Yeah, I dislike Mummy primarily because it could have been a lot better and wasn't, and the reasons it isn't better aren't very good ones.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

This problem contributes to it being a little hard to really see what you're supposed to be doing with mummies other than "wake up, get Relic, go back to sleep, maybe fight a nega-mummy somewhere in there." The splat spreads in particular, that should be solid, clear archetypes that new players can grab onto and fly away with, are just dense blocks of text drowning in metaphor.

Part of the problem is that one of the things the game absolutely wants you to do, although it doesn't actually say so, is actively work towards no longer being a mummy. Arisen don't have an arc outside of that that's really sustainable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I could totally understand that because I've almost completely given up paper books in favor of my e-reader because it's so convenient, but I keep buying hardbacks just to have them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Was Brucato hired for Changeling 20? I hadn't heard of that previously.

He did write the majority of Mage 20, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I could forgive the ranting with a sad shake of the head, I guess. What really bugs me about M20 is that it's a celebration of my least favorite flavor of Mage—all navel-gazing and none of the philosophical respectability. It also gives the Traditions a thorough greywashing when they really needed a whitewashing, to the point that the Crafts all get together and make their own Traditions with blackjack and hookers because the existing one was so full of itself.

I mean, lots of people seem to like it? But it's just not for me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

But yeah, I just checked—the C20 Kickstarter lists all the authors, or at least a lot of them, and it doesn't list Brucato.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Didn't Brucato have some kind of meltdown over a fear that Mage 20th will lead to people accidentally invoking Choronzon or some poo poo? I'm so glad that Wraith 20th appears to just be cursed by ghosts.

Supposedly, and I have not been able to track down actual documentation of this, Brucato refused to give any paradigm details in any of his Mage books because he was afraid players would "call up something they couldn't put down."

(I'd be interested to see this confirmed or denied.)

I don't know of him saying anything like that recently, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

The game and a lot of its adherents claim it's 2e/Revised-agnostic in the sense that it's 2e-centric with notes on how to implement changes from Revised edition, but it really just pays lip service to Revised edition while being entirely 2e in tone. I'm not planning to start a 2e/Revised flamewar here, but I think it's reasonable to claim that when a game has such a divided fanbase, claiming to be impartial while at the same time neglecting Revised is a pretty bad attitude.

See, I totally disagree. M20 rolls the metaplot back to Second Edition, but it honesty keeps a lot of the infuriating tone and philosophy that burned people out on Revised. Revised announced that the Ascension War was over, and that coming to violence over your beliefs was dumb anyway--you should seek global Ascension instead! M20 doubles down on this and says that global Ascension is also bad--who are you to tell other people what to believe, even if you aren't using coercion? Seek personal Ascension instead.

M20 tells you that it's a mage's job to change the world but it doesn't really approve of any specific way you might change it other than seeking union with your own navel.

• Locked thread