Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Davin Valkri posted:

And now you've got me wondering what 90s media looked like in countries that had a lot more reason to be happy, broadly speaking. I'm probably wrong, but I can't see that sort of "pseudo-dark and nihilistic" mood prevailing in, say, Poland or the Baltic states.

(And I don't think it's just you, either. I turned 18 in 2009, and I remember seeing stuff like the Men in Black cartoon, Gargoyles, SWAT Kats...then again, there was also stuff like Pokemon, Freakazoid!, and Samurai Pizza Cats, so it wasn't all darkness :3: )

Well, to answer something asked and probably forgotten a long time ago... I grew up in the 90s and in the Baltics. The kids watched American cartoons and TV series (sometimes German or French, but not much), but I don't think it left much of a mark. Meanwhile adults were having to deal with poo poo like privatization (and what went bad with it), Russian blockades and stuff. But basically a lot of people had much catching up to do with the West. Meanwhile the nerds and stuff were in deep, deep underground, because they didn't really exist before 1991, and computers got widespread only later. Then again, hardcore geeks were hardcore and I think that there's still a great overlap between geeks and metalheads/punks. Like 50% of people you'd play RPGs with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread