Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Lets be honest, we barely learn poo poo about our own country except the highlight reels of all the wars we won/lost until undergraduate classes.

This certainly isn't a US problem alone, either.

It depends on what classes you take and what school you go to, to be fair. I took an accelerated curriculum in high school because I qualified. Not to bore you with the details, but over three years we did take a pretty in-depth look at the culture and history of many nations ranging from select nations of Africa to select nations of the Middle East to China to Japan to all nations of Europe and then to the Americas. It was headlined by a two period class (about an 1 hour and 30 minutes) taught by two teachers with one focusing on the history of the nation while the other focused on the literature. In 10th grade, a third period was added to study the history of western art (from Mycenaeans to the impressionists) and western music (Gregorian chants to rock 'n' roll). Then, since the accelerated curriculum ended before senior year, I took an advanced placement course that detailed the evolution of America's government.

I'm sure other nations have similar programs and opportunities.

Fake Edit: Two things. I hope this didn't come off like I was trying to show off or anything. That was not my intent. Also, if you're wondering about math and science, the advanced curriculum also covered that, but discussing it is kind of irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LornMarkus posted:

If I recall correctly, that right there is actually the cover of the book as published in Japan. Andy, rightly leery of trying to put that in front of a foreign audience, negotiated for an option to deal with it. The publisher (possibly with the backing of the creator, though I don't recall if that was made clear where I saw the story) wouldn't allow any art to be removed or significantly shifted in the layout. So he made the compromise that she would remain on the cover but the book would come with a dust jacket with an entirely different and less questionable illustration. I believe it came up in a Q&A he did and sent out through the backer notifications.

He's was right to be leery of putting that in front of a foreign audience. The only reason I bought the hardcover over the softcover was so that image wasn't on my game's cover. I can't imagine the reputation I'd get if my gaming group saw that I owned a game that looked like that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

InfiniteJesters posted:

Totally interested in this just to see you dissect the Aliens RPG. :allears:

As a humongous Aliens fanboy, I second this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

The last thread was goldmined, so any review on the wiki can be read at your leisure!

I don't think that's correct. When I clicked the link for the adventure Death Frost Doom, I was redirected to the page telling me I need an archive upgrade.

Covok
May 27, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

Next Time: We'll learn how a single number is all we need to make a trollbabe and talk about the (minimal) adventure prep a game of Trollbabe needs.

You have my attention. After all, even if the subject matter is not my style, a system that simple could be easily hacked to any setting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

theironjef posted:

Right? We were so excited to crack this thing open and start making fun of furries like the major leagues. Then we get in there and it's just dry pirate information and terrible rules, except they did a Find & Replace to change all instances of "man" with "furry" and added species to most of the famous historical figures of the time. Like there is nothing to make fun of outside of sperginess and a lack of drat furries. There's so little dedication to the genre conceit that the word furry is the word they use for the whole group of species. Not anthro, not just "man" like you see sometimes, but furry. "10 furries are needed to operate this cannon" etc.

There's also like zero puns or jokes or plays on words and species. Nothing whatsoever about animal nature. The kings are all lions, but never once does he describe one as predatory, or mention that they are lions because lions are naturally kingly, or anything. They're all lions because there's no interracial breeding, so if one of the royals is a lion they have to all be, the end.

*Note that neither of us at System Mastery is down with the fur-l. We were just really hoping for something weirder to make fun of than what we got. Like I would personally hope for a better game for furries than this. Those goofballs in their big suits need good gaming books too.

Well, there is Iron Claw. I'm not a furry, but I remember some people bringing it up and saying it was a good game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libertad!, how does Path of War compare with Tome of Battle so far?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Thinking about it though it might also be interesting to take the angle of the person who's been traumatised by the entity/infidelity/abuse/whatever and now sees it everywhere, and tries to protect others from suffering the same without realizing that they're using the same methods they fear. It makes the playbook a bit more sympathetic, I think.

That's how I took it and, to be honest, I think that idea could work if executed a lot better albeit possibly a bit dark.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd love to see this done for Dungeon World content too eventually

Be the change you want in the world.

I'm just messing with you, but, yeah, I'd love to see that done too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

I liked Tennant's Doctor, but his season is when the flaws in Russell T Davies' "vision" and direction really started to rear it's ugly head.

But it's amazing how many people tried to wedge square pegs into round holes, wouldn't be surprised there's a Brony Playbook.

Oh, definitely. There will ALWAYS be dudes in tabletop games who are just like "I want to play my favorite character from X series in my favorite game" regardless of how bad of an idea it is. It's a mix of not understanding game focus and the fact that is an idea that has been with the hobby from the beginning (a lot of the original, classic character classes were made to emulate characters from the creator's favorite book series).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Did you just make that to spite us...or is this real? Please tell me the former.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm just shocked how insane and anchro-captialist Furry EP's lore is. If you really want transhumanism furries, you'd think you'd just do something simple like "yeah, two factions of mankind got into a big war, they started making genetically-engineered, intelligent, living weapons as a new avenue of war, nuclear option happens, mankind dies out, anthros survived because the factories growing them survived." Boom!, done: your excuse plot is finished without being too insane or crazy. No need to limit your potential audience by taking extreme stances on politics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tasoth posted:

Problem is, if you're going to make tank decanted soldiers, why would you give them a cartoony, anthropomorphic animal appearance instead of something vaguely human and designed to inspire fear? Taking on Tompkins 'Ruff' Sechs the dog soldier is going to be less frightening then something in ballistic armor that looks human, just shorter, faster, stronger and is still bearing down on you with multiple gunshot wounds while it picks off your teammates in rapid succession.

Just say that it's just the art style. Like, it looks that way due to artist interpretation of the artist.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Considering how bad the setting is, I eagerly await hearing how equally lovely the system is for this game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A video version of Purple's last 3 posts sans emotion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Of course a 17-year-old came up with the ultimate solution to the world's economic problems. I'm honestly amazed they didn't start using bitcoins.

I was expecting that to be the big reveal as well. I'm almost disappointed for them not going all the way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Does there even need to be a furry EP? Like, regular EP let's your ego upload into animal morphs by default.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm fairly certain he is dead considering his injuries and how the guy is manipulating the arm.

Covok
May 27, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Eh, it seems to have a lot of really interesting ideas, but completely botched mechanics and subpar writing.

Roleplaying_games.txt

Covok
May 27, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

It might be funny if White Wolf started with a historical event that was entirely 100% human caused and motivated, then had every supernatural faction on the block lining up to claim, oh, yes, that was absolutely totally 100% our idea, uh-huh, yep!, in such a way as to make it clear that they're all just trying to cover for something that blindsided them. Like, the jokey incompetence version of the stuff I'm reading about here.

That would require a level of self-awareness that I don't believe they had. That and they'd have to deal with the few White Wolf crazies going "how dare they." While I know nothing of oWoD, I've heard that not all those crazies would have been on forums: some would have been in their office.

Covok
May 27, 2013

In other words, the Technocracy were making things better for everyone by replacing magic with science thus making things more consistent, safe, and happier for the average man, but that doesn't align well with the people who would suffer from the loss of magic -- like mages -- or cease to exist from its exclusion -- like vampires and werewolves. Am I reading this right?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pretty much. Of course, it could be argued that the world would be better off without vampires feeding off everyone and mages poking holes in reality.

Of course. That is what I was implying: the only ones who hate them are the ones who benefit from magic or need it to exist. In other words, selfishness. After all, the world would be better off without vampire, mages, werewolves, and the like, but try telling that to them. But, unless I'm mistaken, wasn't there a theme in oWoD of trying to steer away from your curse? Like a vampire would want to remain as human as possible and hold off on their vampire side? So, shouldn't they like the technocrancy because it would mean less people would have to suffer like they did or may even end their suffering?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

Man, there's loving the smell of your own poo poo, and then there's loving the smell of your own poo poo so much that you bottle it in jars and make your own public poo poo Museum.

Welcome to the world of blogs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zereth posted:

There's a decent chance he's just lying.

EDIT: I mean, he's openly admitted at least once to putting a thing in a machine that had no purpose other than to make it look cooler.

EDIT: In fact, here it is:

Just because your simple mammalian brain cannot contemplate the superior machinations of his reptilian genius does not mean you can make slanderous propaganda like this!

Do you forget when his TIME BOMB successful destroyed time and sent that metal bucket back to your mammalian era of nomadic ox herding!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zereth posted:

Hm. I think I'm behind, actually. I don't remember reading that one!

It's like the penultimate and ultimate storyline before the series became a webcomic. Both of the stories are now available legally, free on the Atomic Robo website if you want to read about it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

theironjef posted:

In a thousand years the philosophers will answer this statement by just saying "The Parable of Fallout: Equestria" which will have become shorthand for "Obsessive fans will naturally attempt to convert everything they sort of like into the mold of everything they really like."

Fallout: Equestria? Really? Really!?

...Why? Just, why?

Cythereal posted:

Then... why not play Hunter with a DM willing to spin it idealistically? That's how my gaming group does it, triumphing over evil through teamwork, firepower, most people being basically good when not under the supernatural's sway, and an R&D budget of "yes."

Because some people don't get that themes, motifs, and subtext are what really make the work. This is especially true among nerds. They get wrapped up in the setting details, character back stories, and all the other macro-details and think that's what makes the story so awesome and cool. So, to them, if it isn't a game (or story) about Magical Girls, it isn't a Magical Girl game even if it has the same themes, motifs, and subtext as the genre does.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I suspect Princess will also suffer heavily from being written by and for teenage-to-20s guys when most magical girl shows are aimed at girls and young women.

Fair point. I suspect some of my group's antics, like luring a werewolf into getting hit by a freight train and sucking a vampire into one of Air Force One's jet engines would distract some people heavily from the themes and subtext.

Nah, while I know super little to practically nothing about WoD, I'd think mortals having to resort to tricks and traps to defeat the nigh unbeatable monsters they face makes sense. It gives that Jaws/Alien feel that only careful planning and luck can defeat the monster (and, sometimes, that isn't even enough).

Covok
May 27, 2013

LornMarkus posted:

He's dropped that and also Magical Fury which was a more rules-light affair, as I understand it, and might also have been designed to be lighter in tone. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet though so I can't say for certain.

Magical Fury also has a darker tone, IIRC. Ewen Clueny prefers Dark Magical Girls.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, there are no versions of MAID that do that setting, but there is a version made by Ewen Clueny, called Retail Magic, that tries to be fantasy Clerks. Not the good films, the sort-of-ok-really-only-for-the-fans-I-liked-it-but-I-know-it-isn't-for-everyone animated series of Clerks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

theironjef posted:

Aw come on, I was planning to cover the Clerks: Animated Series RPG next April.

I mean it's not exactly Clerks the RPG so that's still open game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Aborted primarily because, I imagine, god help someone trying to wade through that thing. It was made up as a joke about what kind of RPG would exist in someone's AdEva campaign and then the guys running that game tried to actually write something that blended 7th Sea, WoD, Exalted, 40k, and Warhammer Fantasy.

I tried playing a time-displaced Winged Hussar with a magical star horse and a good-natured heroic personality. We got two sessions in before saying 'Goddamn everything about this system is awful.'

I also played in a game of DtD that died. It was a weird experience, to say the least. I'd say it died more because of the GM than the system. I bet there is a ton of issues with the system that I just didn't notice because I wasn't taking it seriously, but we didn't really run into too many system issues in our run, strangely.

I also vote DtD for next F&F.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Doresh posted:

Monsters grow into bigger monsters.

I really like this idea. Because being a lvl 99 Goblin is boring and un-intimidating, but growing into a titan. Now, that's boss.

Covok
May 27, 2013

theironjef posted:

This isn't in the game but just so you know, there's no crude oil on this world because there were no dinosaurs. 65 million years ago there were just elves and dwarves all over the place, and naturally when they die they aren't converted to crude oil over time, but natural gas, leading to a rise in helium availability and pressurized gas as a fuel source. There are many elfropologists who believe that the races of the world were all descended from a common elf ancestor, as the ancient elves were known to easily split into a variety of subraces, but this is highly disputed by religious factions the world over.

Some scientists to this day are searching for the link between humans and elfropithecus dwarfarensis.

I'm just jumping into this now, but, if this is a "what would happen if a fantasy world reached our modern times" concept, how would clerics be? Would it be like Eberron?

Covok
May 27, 2013

LazyAngel posted:

It's also the case that she doesn't "believe" in the god, but drat well knows it exists anyway.

It might just be easier to say she doesn't worship the god.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Communist Zombie posted:

You can probably also craft the IWW's wheel of industry into a literal magic circle. I mean look at it.

Could they make that graphic more cluttered and hard to read?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I hope this isn't a derail, but I'm curious if anyone reads roleplaying books like this normally? Like, from cover to cover?

I never do, personally, and this is why I'm curious. I just read the cool bits and the relevant-to-play bits. From then on, I only reference it again if I forget something important.

If this is a derail, ignore me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

As a follow-up question, to the ones who read the entire book, do you find yourself more often in the GM or player role? See, I tend to just read the relevant bits and call it a day because I'm lazy. But I am likely also influenced by my decision to run multiple different systems at once. For example, I currently am running an IRL Masks game, a roll20+Skype 5e game, a roll20 + Skype Urban Shadows game, a pbp Masks game, and, soon, a pbp Chuubo's game. I might run a Torchbearer game soon as well. I'm wondering if players or GMs tend to read the book more thoroughly and, if GMs, the ones who read more thoroughly tend to run less games at once.

Why? Curiosity in general rpg player practices and curiosity about Fatalers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If I'm running a game, definitely. It's possible I'll skip parts like back-of-the-book locales or adventures that are generally less relevant to me, but I think it's definitely essential to RPGs with detailed settings. As a player, I'm less likely to; if I'm playing in a PbP, I generally won't have the time. I find it interesting that you bring up Torchbearer and Chuubo's, because I feel both Crane and Moran write presuming their books are going to be read cover-to-cover, and I find their games very hard to interpret "piecemeal", with their rules spread into odd sections in the book and often not written like technical manuals (which I think is a bit of an issue, because that's partly what an RPG book is).

Edit: Writing as I do for FATAL & Friends is a bit of an oddity because I think vanishingly few people read Palladium books cover-to-cover, even amongst the fandom. They're not well-organized, but the slapdash layout lends itself very well to being read piecemeal, because it rarely presumes you've read the rest of the book's text.

The way I read those books is weird. I tried to read them from cover to cover, but only made it past the first chapter before I got bored. So, instead, I just kept flipping through the books and picking up the relevant mechanics. If I read something that didn't make sense, I flipped to the index and found what it was. I'm not trying to say this is the right way to do anything, but I just can't read these things cover to cover.

It's kind or ironic because I write games in that assumption, kind of. It's just some rule I got in my head that I should never use a term until it's been defined previously. So, my games are set-up so that, if you read cover to cover, you would read everything you need to before it was referenced. I don't know why I can't do the same in my reading outside of boredom.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think we're overthinking it: the "too-much-aug-is-bad" rules are just for character balance. If not everybody is supposed to aug, then there must be incentives not to.

Though, it leads to the wizard/fighter problem. One could argue it'd be better if everyone auged. Alternatively, some might argue a carrot approach would be better: the more augs you get, the less fate points you get every session, for example.

To respond to the perceived overthinking, I think futurism suffers for two main reasons: it's too utopian and the most vocal supporters are an unpleasant sort that our hobby forces us into proximity with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

So, is there any problem on Tenra that is not ultimately the fault of the Priesthood?

They didn't make Ayakashi, that's a natural thing.

• Locked thread