Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
The CG looks bad (like all Japanese cg anime efforts so far) and I preferred the late Blame! art style. Pretty satisfied with the series overall though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Pierson posted:

One of my favourite things about this series is that the less breakneck and more open plot seems to have given Nihei the room to stretch out and really fill the world with incidental details and fun stuff, something Blame! et al didn't really let him do.

Yeah it is a nice change of pace. Although I'm sure Killy had his fair share of exciting things to do during his centuries long battles with stairs.

quote:

Something I can definitely see happening is the Captain banning further hybrid creation after this latest disaster and/or destroying the new one, forcing Ochiai to use the only vessel available to him; Tsugumi. :ohdear:

Hmm I don't see it happening, I think the captain's willingness to continue work on the hybrid is going to be part of their downfall. One thing now that I think about it, is that Ochiai's conscious might have been somehow absorbed / transferred through the disaster, and is now lurking in the sleeping hybrid. It just seems ridiculous that Ochiai would push Kanata to her limit (luring into seeing birth mom) knowing the immaturity and emotional instability of her, and then immediately run back to "hook in" aware of the danger Kanata posed, without it being part of the plan. Considering that following the event Kanata's consciousness is "unstable" leads me to believe he might have used it as a way in already. Either that or oops Ochiai hosed up, and he becomes a more interesting villian. On the plus side kind of? Kunato might actually be the one to wake up from the coma in his own body.

In other news, unrelated slice-of-life spoilers for Chapter 51/52/53/54 god damnit I hope they get the English version translated faster, because Lulu (don't actually know what her name is in Japanese, Shinotani?) seems to be added simply to make everyone's life miserable, with predictably hilarious consequences, her yelling face is pretty much the best thing ever. Also never enough Bear mom!!!!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How exactly did Ochiai get possession of Kunato's body? The scene where he walked into the vault was a little confusing to me in general.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

muike posted:

How exactly did Ochiai get possession of Kunato's body? The scene where he walked into the vault was a little confusing to me in general.

After his bodyguard gets killed it's presumed that Ochiai's roboservant subdues and then uses some sort of mind transfer SCIENCE (toxin?) on Kunato, it's not very clear what the details are (Chinese scanlation is awful for this part, probably they were trying to translate some katakana loanword originally from English and just gave up halfway through).

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

muike posted:

He had brain parasites lying around as backups. It's the basis for the fake psykokinesis stuff he did, there never was any sort of telepathy, it just involved hijacking bodies, which apparently doesn't actually work too well on chimera given the multiple failures so far.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Sen has the raws for quite a few more chapters: http://raw.senmanga.com/Sidonia_no_Kishi

Anyone have translations?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

ValhallaSmith posted:

Sen has the raws for quite a few more chapters: http://raw.senmanga.com/Sidonia_no_Kishi

Anyone have translations?

The guy's who translated the last volume where a bunch on Anons. They're willing to translate the current chapters, but not until they get more high quality raws. The reason is they think that while the current ones are fine for reading they are too low res for editing. At least that's the excuse that I remember seeing anyway.

The people who where originally doing fan translations dropped the series at request from Vertical when it got licened. So we'll either have to wait for Vertical to catch up or until someone gets better raw's.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 10, 2014

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Somebody made a pretty impressive custom Tsugumori model. http://www.awesome-robo.com/2014/01/custom-tsugumori-brings-knights-of.html#more

Also, here is something that might interest fans of Nihei's work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge18Ieyi9bI its a stop-motion film that is very heavily inspired by Blame! The entire short was made by one guy, and he has expressed interest in making an official blame adaptation if he could.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Algid posted:

He had brain parasites lying around as backups. It's the basis for the fake psykokinesis stuff he did, there never was any sort of telepathy, it just involved hijacking bodies, which apparently doesn't actually work too well on chimera given the multiple failures so far.

Strangely though, the brainwiped Ochiai does seem to have actual psychokinesis.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Argas posted:

Strangely though, the brainwiped Ochiai does seem to have actual psychokinesis.
That could just be sufficiently advanced science, but the real Ochiai does mention that psychokinesis is real, it just doesn't do much beyond the scale of de-thorning cacti.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Somebody made a pretty impressive custom Tsugumori model. http://www.awesome-robo.com/2014/01/custom-tsugumori-brings-knights-of.html#more

Also, here is something that might interest fans of Nihei's work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge18Ieyi9bI its a stop-motion film that is very heavily inspired by Blame! The entire short was made by one guy, and he has expressed interest in making an official blame adaptation if he could.

This is actually really awesome. I hope the guy gets enough funding to go ahead and make more, but I'm not sure his IGG campaign is going too well.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
To add a bit more clarity to the whole Ochaia thing in terms of taking over kunato. I missed this bit earlier:

sidonian blood parasite in his eye.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Maybe when Kunato regains consciousness, it'll have hosed up Ochiai a bit. I also wonder if there's ever going to be a resolution to the incident where Kunato sabotaged Tanikaze. I kind of like how you did see that Kunato clearly felt remorse or guilt over it when Tanikaze came to speak to him, and if he's done as a character, that'd be a nice way to leave it.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

muike posted:

Maybe when Kunato regains consciousness, it'll have hosed up Ochiai a bit. I also wonder if there's ever going to be a resolution to the incident where Kunato sabotaged Tanikaze. I kind of like how you did see that Kunato clearly felt remorse or guilt over it when Tanikaze came to speak to him, and if he's done as a character, that'd be a nice way to leave it.

Yeah mixed feelings especially about that last part. great way to end his storyline, but bringing him back could have interesting consequences in terms of advancing the non-slice-of-life plot. Plus there are few enough male characters in the plot as is, gotta fight the harem trend.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Maybe the reason the younger generations have less males is because they're pretty much biologically superfluous at this point? The Honoka clone series can probably supply enough pilots for a tenth of the guardian fleet or something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think there's really less dudes I think it's just the way the story's written. Also I was kinda happy with how Izana was until she's moodier now that she's becoming more female, but part of that could also be attributed to her frustration with Tanikaze, so I guess we'll wait it out before I feel too disappointed in her character development. I'm not offended by it or anything, it just feels more conventional now, I guess.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

muike posted:

I don't think there's really less dudes I think it's just the way the story's written. Also I was kinda happy with how Izana was until she's moodier now that she's becoming more female, but part of that could also be attributed to her frustration with Tanikaze, so I guess we'll wait it out before I feel too disappointed in her character development. I'm not offended by it or anything, it just feels more conventional now, I guess.

Her personality hasn't really changed, she is just extremely frustrated with Tanikaze as shown by end of chapter 49.

Chapter 53+ spoilers: following what happens in the confrontation with Tanikaze things sort of reset, in some sense it is her choice not to pursue things further, so the anxiety and uncertainty from their relationship gets removed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Regarding Blame!, I'm not really sure what happened in the last volume or so, especially the last page. I'm also not really sure what Sanakan's deal was. She seemed to be an ally of Killy's, then a hostile Safeguard, then back to normal...

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

muike posted:

Regarding Blame!, I'm not really sure what happened in the last volume or so, especially the last page. I'm also not really sure what Sanakan's deal was. She seemed to be an ally of Killy's, then a hostile Safeguard, then back to normal...

The parts leading up to the final volume isn't translated as well so many people get confused. What really happened was think back to before the level 9 hack. The silicons stole Seu's genes from Cibo which was given to them by Mensab. Mensab hopes that Seu actually has the gene and they can analyze it to make sure. It turns out that Seu actually has the net terminal gene! The sillicons realized this after they stole it, so they used a safeguard's body as an access point along with the gene to get in the net. However there's a rule that they don't know; which is safeguards can't actually get in the net. The net people realized this and slowed time to a crawl to buy time so Killy, Cibo, and the guy with the long name who actually is a safeguard to stop the silicons. Killy and Cibo managed to do so and recover the gene, then a level 9 safeguard showed up which owned Killy. Cibo hacked it but she went crazy because she can't contain a level 9. When the level 9 blew up, the fetus orb that was created contains the genes of 3 people; Cibo, Sanakan, and Seu. Most important of all, it contained the net terminal gene. The safeguards realized this and have no choice but to protect the new mindbroken Cibo and assist Killy. When Sanakan said "our baby", it makes sense because the orb has her genes in it.

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 13, 2014

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

muike posted:

Wooh Blame chat! :words: Last volume, Cibo becomes a Level 9 safeguard and at this point Sanakan is sent by the authorities to protect her, because the sphere (with Sanakan giving some of her genetic information) is able to give birth to a child with the net terminal gene, Sanakan eventually finds Cibo and spends however long fighting off silicon life attacks until finally they are defeated. Sanakan is told that with the Silicon Life having won, she is no longer needed, but chooses anyways to go back and rescue Cibo. Roided up Sanakan comes back and then proceeds to devastate the remaining Silicon life, finally reaching Cibo. The exterminators apparently have no desire to give up their endless crusade against humanity/silicon life, and so send a creepy dude to go try to eat Sanakan and Cibo's baby-ball. Killy who has spent like the last volume walking up stairs, killing a chill dude with a telescope, and having very one sided conversations with his new travelling compaion, finally catches up in time to get trapped by the exterminator. With sanakan's help they beat him, and Killy is entrusted with the monumental task of finding a place to hatch the egg. Several billions years later, he finally makes it to a reasonable spot to be shot in the head by some safeguard who may or may not be a copy of himself. He conks out to be washed away by the water to some ocean like area, which is apparently a good spot for egg hatching, and watches as the egg begins to grow. Last page is a cut to several years later where Killy is proving himself worthy of the title Megastructure's #1 Dad!

God that kid's going to be so hosed up. :tali:

In terms of Sanakan and Killy early on, they are both special safeguard units (like Dhomochevsky and Iko), who were given a special task by the governing body. Killy's is to get the net terminal gene, Sanakan's was to infiltrate and gently caress poo poo up at Toha Heavy Industries. After Sanakan's success in loving up Toha she gets recalled and reassigned to Protect Cibo.

Killy and Sanakan are essentially on the same side, except the governing body is so hosed up it doesn't really know what the left hand is doing, and Killy's mission is so old, most likely dating from the start of the panic, that even he has forgotten everything.

To clarify some stuff from Oh Snapalope: Seu doesn't have the net terminal gene, or at least it is unimportant if he does and we don't really find out. The level they are on when Tall-silicon-life (Davin Lu Linevega) try to access the net is a special level which allows access at a lower privilege level (i.e. "you must be this human to ride.") Why Cibo stole the level 9 is a bit weird though, and I think that was mostly an issue of "welp might as well try something ridiculous to turn the tides." Davin Lu Linevega (tall-one) or whatever her name is, is noticed by the Governing body and they slow poo poo down to try to stop her, if Dhomochevsky and Killy weren't there she most certainly would have gotten through all the way (they aren't accessing it through a safeguard unit, rather they are using the central tower hub for the level to access it). Probably none of Seu's genes got copied to the level 9 safeguard though, it's only Cibo and Sanakan and whatever magic is coming from it being level 9

Wookie Bouquet fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 13, 2014

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
I'm pretty sure Seu actually has it and the fetus orb has Seu's genes in it. I remember clearly that the silicon creatures stole the capsule Mensab gave to Cibo which contained Seu's genes; and they used that capsule to access the net. Killy is super old and he predates any safeguard. The safeguards noticed this during Toha that he actually isn't a safeguard but something similar to it. To give an idea how old Killy is, if Noise can be trusted and Musubi is Sanakan, Sanakan is already pretty old but Killy is older than her.

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 13, 2014

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Oh Snapalope posted:

I'm pretty sure Seu actually has it and the fetus orb has Seu's genes in it. I remember clearly that the silicon creatures stole the capsule Mensab gave to Cibo which contained Seu's genes; and they used that capsule to access the net. Killy is super old and he predates any safeguard. The safeguards noticed this during Toha that he actually isn't a safeguard but something similar to it. To give an idea how old Killy is, if Noise can be trusted and Musubi is Sanakan, Sanakan is already pretty old but Killy is older than her.

I am pretty certain Seu doesn't have the gene because Davin Lu Linevega could probably have just checked and could have just done a normal access instead of a provisional access (due to the level), the provisional access just needed someone to be "human." That being said, we don't really know one way or the other, I like to think he doesn't because this reinforces the whole futile aspect of searching for it.

True on Killy being pre-safeguard, forgot about that. Also Noise is pretty awesome, I definitely like the Sanakan = Musubi theory, and it would make sense if Killy was someone from that time frame (i.e. pre-megastructure).

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

Wookie Bouquet posted:

I am pretty certain Seu doesn't have the gene because Davin Lu Linevega could probably have just checked and could have just done a normal access instead of a provisional access (due to the level), the provisional access just needed someone to be "human." True on Killy being pre-safeguard, forgot about that. Also Noise is pretty awesome, I definitely like the Sanakan = Musubi theory, and it would make sense if Killy was someone from that time frame (i.e. pre-megastructure).

Right, forgot about the provisional access. The orb has the net terminal gene though so it either comes from Seu, which actually has the gene or it was just created by robot mind sex.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Oh Snapalope posted:

Right, forgot about the provisional access. The orb has the net terminal gene though so it either comes from Seu, which actually has the gene or it was just created by robot mind sex.

Not sure if we still need to spoiler stuff?

My vote is on the latter = MAGIC, plus I mean normal humans would not be able to contain that many genes. EVEN IF SEU AND CRAZY CYBER GRANNY MAKEB WOULD MAKE BETTER PARENTS.

Also Snapalope what are you reading now, would be interested to hear your suggestions on stuff.

Wookie Bouquet fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 13, 2014

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Not sure if we still need to spoiler stuff?

My vote is on the latter = MAGIC, plus I mean normal humans would not be able to contain that many genes. EVEN IF SEU AND CRAZY CYBER GRANNY MAKEB WOULD MAKE BETTER PARENTS.

Also Snapalope what are you reading now, would be interested to hear your suggestions on stuff.

Uhh ya spoilers shouldn't be needed anymore. I'm reading Berserk actually on volume 37 right now.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Given you're talking about stuff in a manga completely unrelated to this thread, tagging it would in fact be apropos.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Let's see...

Space? Check.

Giant robots? Check.

Romance? Check.

Slice of life? Check.

Transhumanism? Check.

Interesting characters? Check.

Bears? Check.

This is scratching a lot of oddly specific itches. I would enjoy it if the romance would actually go somewhere, but this is manga so I won't hold my breath. Still, I can hope.

I'm enjoying the body horror. I'm fairly desensitized to it, but it still impresses.

I wish that there wasn't fan service. A lot of it is forced and weird. Oh no, my suit malfunctioned and exploded right off my body! Don't look at me! And a library scene where there was a character made for the specific reason of a librarian upskirt shot. But besides the minor gripes I'm enjoying this series quite a bit.

Tsumugi is by far my favorite character. Don't mind me. I'm everyone's favorite monster. I can deflect laser beams, kill aliens and fly through space. I also enjoy snuggles and cats.

I'm calling it now though. We'll hit peak anime when the tentacle monster puts on a maid outfit.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 13, 2014

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Whoever linked this manga in the AoT thread is responsible for me barely sleeping last night binging this manga.

And I don't regret it in the slightest. This series is WEIRD in a really cool way and while there is a much more defined structure to the story, it still has the feel of crazy unpredictability that makes AoT so addicting coupled with some great bits of 'hard' sci fi and a willingness to really play with the implications of crazy technology.

One thing that I don't remember being addressed is dealing with G forces. Do guardians have a technobabble inertial dampener or is that so far unmentioned? Sidonia's layout looks like the gravity is provided by the acceleration of the ship, but I also remember something about gravity control fields at some point so I'm a little confused. It's a minor thing in the grand scope but I'm curious if I just missed it in my marathon of the whole series in a single night.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

Whoever linked this manga in the AoT thread is responsible for me barely sleeping last night binging this manga.

And I don't regret it in the slightest. This series is WEIRD in a really cool way and while there is a much more defined structure to the story, it still has the feel of crazy unpredictability that makes AoT so addicting coupled with some great bits of 'hard' sci fi and a willingness to really play with the implications of crazy technology.

One thing that I don't remember being addressed is dealing with G forces. Do guardians have a technobabble inertial dampener or is that so far unmentioned? Sidonia's layout looks like the gravity is provided by the acceleration of the ship, but I also remember something about gravity control fields at some point so I'm a little confused. It's a minor thing in the grand scope but I'm curious if I just missed it in my marathon of the whole series in a single night.

Yeah. There is a layout of the ship in one of the chapters, and a huge portion of the ship is devoted to gravity control.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Sidonia has massive artificial gravity generators. One of the chapter-end pages has a cross-section of Sidonia, showing the major sections of the ship. The generators can be turned off in order to divert more energy to Sidonia's thrusters, letting it make relatively rapid evasive maneuvers. The force exerted by this can tear apart weaker structures within the ship and throw people around like ragdolls, with violent, bloody results. This is why everybody has to wear a safety belt at all times, and is why Tanikaze was ordered to check the integrity of the safety railings in the academy, when he was spotted without his belt.

I can't remember if G forces are explicitly brought up with regards to guardians, though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think one of the engineers mentions a G-canceller at some point.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You'd think they'd make the internal structures alot stronger and instead of the crazy rickety spindly tower down the centre, just to deal with any acceleration-related mishaps.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

You'd think they'd make the internal structures alot stronger and instead of the crazy rickety spindly tower down the centre, just to deal with any acceleration-related mishaps.

I go the impression that hundreds of years ago, whenOchiai's fuckups effectively wiped out the population of Sidonia, most of the internal structures were heavily damaged or lost as well with the core pillar being one of the only remaining supports. As they've managed to recover the population, they've slowly been able to repair and build out which is why you see pipe works everywhere and foliage in the outer walls where nature has taken over.

Since everything goes towards weapons R&D or producing more guardians, there probably aren't any available resources for improving the buildings or doing urban planning.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kegslayer posted:

I go the impression that hundreds of years ago, whenOchiai's fuckups effectively wiped out the population of Sidonia, most of the internal structures were heavily damaged or lost as well with the core pillar being one of the only remaining supports. As they've managed to recover the population, they've slowly been able to repair and build out which is why you see pipe works everywhere and foliage in the outer walls where nature has taken over.

Since everything goes towards weapons R&D or producing more guardians, there probably aren't any available resources for improving the buildings or doing urban planning.

Not going to spoil this because I'm pretty sure it was brought up fairly early, but almost literally everything is recycled to save resources. That's why just about every piece of clothing you see, especially pilot suits are covered in patches and look like they've seen a lot of wear and tear. Most of them are generations old and handed down countless times and simply repaired rather than replaced.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This manga is pretty great.

There was a friggin' Death Star trench run of all things in this thing. The designs of pretty much everything apart from the characters is outstanding. Slice of life is somewhat interesting, but the series definitely suffers from a bit of harem bullshit. Also, props for making me care about of what is essentially outwardly a monster. Outstanding job from the author that he hasn't hit the "poo poo hits the fan" trigger with this yet.

I almost, almost could kind of sympathize with Ochiai as a reasonable bad guy, but the friggin' mind worms. :stonk: Fate worse than death. It's not described anywhere what the host is going through. Oh and being a racist. But I'm not entirely sure whether he's in the game for his own "godhood" or the survival of humanity. On another thought... nah, I can't sympathize with him. :stare:

My biggest problem with the series is that I have really hard time telling characters apart - It doesn't help I have a terrible name memory. Also there are apparent immortals/people who look young for ages, so pretty much the entire cast is young. Talking of that, I wonder how eternal youth would basically affect how people act, would they skip some part of maturing? I started to think about this when Izana's granny displayed her old wardrobe: Are there any particular reasons apart from working as "an official" for dropping them This is interesting in the respect that the very idea of childhood is kind of a fairly new construct as an idea to some degree. Adolescence more so. But I doubt the series will explore these questions. I'm also not sure the granny is entirely trustworthy - Where's the mother? Dead? Why? I'm just baselessly speculating she might be interested in using Izana to prolong her life.

The Gauna remind me a lot of Beast from Homeworld: Cataclysm (and, well, a number of other different similar species). I was actually quite surprised that the author didn't further explore some sort of body horror with the colonist ship being basically taken over. Cataclysm did stuff like creating missiles out of their old loved ones and what-not..

I wonder if there are any sort of time shenanigans going on. The large ship was supposedly 3 light years away at some point, but it seems in much more imminent range now. Of course assuming it started accelerating back 3 light years ago, you don't need faster-than-light travel in the manga - but it seemed like it was triggered by the destruction of Ocarina, making us assume that there exists FTL communication, at least - and observation? Nothing in the manga seems to indicate there is FTL travel capability in this universe, though.

But regardless, I wonder if some sort of time compression due to traveling in extreme speeds, or some sort of cyclical nature of the "Gauna event" will be revealed. Or what was first in truth, Human engineered Gauna or Gauna? Perhaps Gauna are in truth just a human experiment gone wrong (or "too right..."). The skewiness of the history databases because of Ochiai and things make me think that the way the history is told might not be accurate. The only thing I'm pretty sure about in terms of time is that the manga indeed does take place in the future because of cultural influences from Japanese culture. Is this colony ship somehow specifically Japanese/East Asian, or is the author just lazy? Far East was mentioned once. (The resurgence of Far East Company of something).

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 15, 2014

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Dessel posted:

My biggest problem with the series is that I have really hard time telling characters apart - It doesn't help I have a terrible name memory. Also there are apparent immortals/people who look young for ages, so pretty much the entire cast is young. Talking of that, I wonder how eternal youth would basically affect how people act, would they skip some part of maturing? I started to think about this when Izana's granny displayed her old wardrobe: Are there any particular reasons apart from working as "an official" for dropping them This is interesting in the respect that the very idea of childhood is kind of a fairly new construct as an idea to some degree. Adolescence more so. But I doubt the series will explore these questions. I'm also not sure the granny is entirely trustworthy - Where's the mother? Dead? Why? I'm just baselessly speculating she might be interested in using Izana to prolong her life.
Grandma is probably just a term of endearment. She's the one that created the artificial wombs after the bottleneck event and spliced on photosynthesis functions to the newer generations. Intersexed people are even newer, they're still relatively rare, Izana even joked around near the start that she and Nagate should basically stick together because they both helped fill the affirmative action quota.

Izana is probably just a prototype that grandma is raising herself. I mean, grandma Shinatose even mentioned that the artificial wombs were needed to avoid extinction and seed the gene pool to the point that sexual reproduction was at all possible, it's unlikely that she actually had a kid with someone considering she's like one of the only 3 remaining members of the immortals and she works all the time.

Algid fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 15, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Not going to spoil this because I'm pretty sure it was brought up fairly early, but almost literally everything is recycled to save resources. That's why just about every piece of clothing you see, especially pilot suits are covered in patches and look like they've seen a lot of wear and tear. Most of them are generations old and handed down countless times and simply repaired rather than replaced.

Everything is in disrepair but even more so from 100 years ago. 99% of the population died and the infrastructure of the ship was heavily damaged which is why they modified all subsequent children to be able to use photosynthesis (since they wouldn't be able to provide enough food) while they repaired what they could using scraps. I think clues like Kobayashi's former clothes and the Kunato mansion are a good indication that things weren't always so messed up on the ship.

Dessel posted:

Doesn't everybody look the same because they're all closely related genetically due to their breeding program growing a population of about 500 people into 500,000 people.

I wouldn't be surprised if Izana is also a clone for the Immortal Committee to use but they're just using her/him as a guardian pilot since they burn through so many pilots.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dessel posted:

I really doubt that last one. Granny is already immortal, and if she needed another body she could just clone a new one like was done with Nagate's "grandfather". And as for being called granny, Nagate called the man he was a clone of his grandfather. And a lot of people on the ship are clones, and almost everyone is going to be descended from clones. So terms of familial endearment are probably less exact.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dessel posted:

My biggest problem with the series is that I have really hard time telling characters apart - It doesn't help I have a terrible name memory. Also there are apparent immortals/people who look young for ages, so pretty much the entire cast is young.

I'm working on a list of all named characters right this second, as it happens. With pictures. I'm up to 35! :suicide:

What's the spoiler policy in this thread, anyway? I'm not really sure I want to splurge out a page full of black bars.

Algid posted:

3 remaining members of the immortals

I count at least four (the Captain, Shinatose, Brainwiped Ochiai, and Lala), possibly six (Nagate, Brainjacked Kunato/Ochiai 2.0) depending on how you want to slice it.

Kegslayer posted:

Doesn't everybody look the same because they're all closely related genetically due to their breeding program growing a population of about 500 people into 500,000 people.

Everybody looks the same because faces are a real weak point for Tsutomu Nihei (Sidonia is actually a massive improvement over his previous stuff), and he eschews most of the easy outs mangaka use to distinguish their characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I am so glad to hear I'm not the only guy who has to go back and check which characters are which all the time. I thought it was just my regular lovely ability to remember names.

• Locked thread