Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
So I'm caught up on all translated manga and I just have to say thanks to Zorak for recommending this series to me. I've really enjoyed it. I'm embarrassed that for all the insane plot threads twisting in the wind the issue I'm most concerned with is will they won't they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The lack of a proper scan group working on this kills me, hopefully the anime will get the series more attention and we wont have to wait half a year for new chapters.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

The lack of a proper scan group working on this kills me, hopefully the anime will get the series more attention and we wont have to wait half a year for new chapters.

Even if that doesn't happen, the published version is pretty close to catching up now and its schedule looks like it'll be pretty alongside soon.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoldenNugget posted:

It was bad in berserk and they had a lot more resources to do that and it still looked bad.

Counterpoint, JoJo.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLnOl2Vv3g

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Read all the scanlated chapters this weekend. Looks like another solid Zorak recommendation. The series is weird in a good way and the fight scenes at first were really hard to follow. I'm not sure if the artist gets better at composition or if I get used to the silhouettes. It took me a while to distinguish between a few characters which definitely wasn't helped by a bunch of them getting killed off quickly. Also, it really wasn't obvious after the first chapter that Gramps died. I thought that the main character got caught stealing rice and got drafted and forgot about his grandfather because he's a dick. Geez. I wasn't really bothered by the fan service because I think HSDK has immunized me to it. Did you all really warm up to Tsumugi that fast? You guys are weird. It took me many chapters before I did because she was introduced as basically "overreaching science that seriously hosed us up the first time and here we go opening Pandora's box yet again", but she gets instantly accepted? I guess my reaction mirrors Sidonia's slow acceptance to Tsumugi. So it seems I have to wait until August for more chapters? :(

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
But none of that is her fault :colbert:. She's just a naive little girl who want's to be friends with everyone and read books about beetles. It also helps that the super moe token loli character being a giant tentacle monster is hilarious. Whenever her observer probes are on screen talking to people I can't help but imagine them bobbing around like a child playing with a hand puppet.

Her brother on the other hand. Now he's one we should be worried about.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Did you all really warm up to Tsumugi that fast? You guys are weird. It took me many chapters before I did because she was introduced as basically "overreaching science that seriously hosed us up the first time and here we go opening Pandora's box yet again", but she gets instantly accepted?

It depends on how you view human modification / transhumanism. Sidonia itself is pretty open to it as a concept, and the fact that Tsumugi is pretty much innocent probably helped endear her, not to mention their desperate state.

I dunno, I warmed up to her mostly because it was pretty clear that she wasn't malicious despite how she looked, and if anything people treating her as inhuman was more likely to jade her as anyway. The fact that the main cast pretty much immediately went "nah it's cool, let's befriend her and show we appreciate her being a bro" was a breath of fresh air compared to the ol' Frankenstein's Monster routine.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I think that given the situation in Sidonia, human modification is a given if not outright necessity for the continued survival of the ship / human race, especially in the face of what happenened after nearly everyone died. For me, I had tonal whiplash given that she was birthed from supreme bad guy Orochi using a mimicry Gauna placenta of the protagonist's dead girlfriend that he had developed an unhealthy obsession with. In fact, I still maintain that his chummyness with Tsumogi is weird and tainted with deluded thoughts of his original girlfriend. Maybe because I'm a dirty speciest that would rather ship him with someone in his harem. Not to mention the fact that it was first implied that Orochi wanted to brainswap with Tsumogi before Kunata ever shows up so that makes her initial creation / birth in my view even more untrustworth. I don't know. Like I said, she's certainly grown on me but initially I was quite wary.

Also, people doing photosynthesis implies that the entirety of Sidonia is sexually immature and does not partake in casual sex or sex for pleasure? This probably helps with population control and overextension of resources. Given the rampant transhumanism, most reproduction is probably cloning or in vitro fertilization anyway right?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Xtanstic posted:

Also, people doing photosynthesis implies that the entirety of Sidonia is sexually immature and does not partake in casual sex or sex for pleasure? This probably helps with population control and overextension of resources. Given the rampant transhumanism, most reproduction is probably cloning or in vitro fertilization anyway right?

They do, Kunato was having sex with another pilot when he received a call in an early chapter, and "photosynthesizing" with someone is a jokey euphemism for sex or at least getting naked together.

A lot of reproduction is through cloning and artificial wombs with genetic engineering applied, though. Photosynthesis is also literal plant-style photosynthesis, due to heavy genetic engineering designed to drastically reduce resource usage.

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
can someone please link me to the manga page or image where Tsumugi asks nagate if she can sleep with him, and he's like "ok".

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Insonix posted:

can someone please link me to the manga page or image where Tsumugi asks nagate if she can sleep with him, and he's like "ok".

This one?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

Why the hell would photosynthesis imply they're sexually immature? I really have no idea what your logic is there.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Transhumanism leading to cloning / test tube as the go to means of procreation, flirting with 'photosynthesis' instead of sex, characters acting like awkward teenagers, and no mention of sex that I could recall (which I've since been proven wrong on). Well it made sense to me at the time.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Transhumanism leading to cloning / test tube as the go to means of procreation, flirting with 'photosynthesis' instead of sex, characters acting like awkward teenagers, and no mention of sex that I could recall (which I've since been proven wrong on). Well it made sense to me at the time.

One of the main characters is literally a genetically developed intersexual person who can "select" their sex based on attractions. The "photosynthesis" flirting is I'm pretty sure more that "hey, let's get naked for this completely innocent thing *WINK*" is apparently more the ship culture than super casual flings. Also: it's a manga.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

Just because procreation is done via other means doesn't mean people will stop loving. They'd have to actively remove the ability to procreate manually, and if they did that they may as well go out and remove physical sexes altogether.

Zorak posted:

One of the main characters is literally a genetically developed intersexual person who can "select" their sex based on attractions. The "photosynthesis" flirting is I'm pretty sure more that "hey, let's get naked for this completely innocent thing *WINK*" is apparently more the ship culture than super casual flings. Also: it's a manga.

And that just kinda confirms that people probably are procreating the old fashioned way. If people had given up on sex, what would be the point of being able to (sort of) select what your physical sex becomes? If everyone were born in test tubes, they'd all be neuter or something.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Slime posted:

And that just kinda confirms that people probably are procreating the old fashioned way. If people had given up on sex, what would be the point of being able to (sort of) select what your physical sex becomes? If everyone were born in test tubes, they'd all be neuter or something.
The manga explicitly states that they made hermaphrodites for reproductive purposes.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
knights of sidonia: hey let's spend way too much time talking about how plant-people gently caress

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Speaking of the whole hermaphrodite, intersexual etc thing.. I wonder how the anime is going to handle it. Will they be lazy and just assign people to specific genders and make everyone either male or female, or will they actually try to explain the somewhat strange and complex situation Sidonia has. Having watched Hunter X Hunter I can easily see it being the former as that's how a certain character was handled there, but different production company so who knows?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I don't see how the anime would handle it any different? The Japanese langauge isn't big on gender pronouns anyway.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Zorak posted:

I don't see how the anime would handle it any different? The Japanese langauge isn't big on gender pronouns anyway.

Well yes, in theory it shouldn't be a problem to just handle it the way the source work does, in practice though.. I guess I'm just a big pessimist about this sort of thing and fully expect all the questionable characters to be marked as clearly female just because: Hey! More females to market to otaku! As well as the still very trans/homophobic tendencies we see in the anime industry.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
BRING OUT THE MERCHANDISING!

:nws:http://seventhstyle.com/2014/03/23/knights-of-sidonia-sexy-bishoujo-dakimakura/

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 2, 2014

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Not Tsumugi? Way to drop the ball. :colbert:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Knights of Sidonia does a great job with exploiting its oppai, exceptional even – the character design for this female is very nice. Her oppai are quite large, but they don’t look like basketballs dangling from her chest, as is oft-seen and expected from the bustier of anime girls.

Her oppai are colossal, and yet so elegant as the artist is very skilled. The line of curve, or cleavage in this case, seen between the opening of the suit goes forward long ways to create a substantial sense of depth – and notice how that line goes from expressed through faint shadow, to a bold black outline. This excellent application of line-weight gives her breasts their respective sense of weight and shape. One can indeed look at her oppai and practically feel their heaviness because their size is certainly understood through the aesthetics.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Unsurprising yet somehow more disappointing than usual.

Rinkles posted:

Knights of Sidonia does a great job with exploiting its oppai, exceptional even – the character design for this female is very nice. Her oppai are quite large, but they don’t look like basketballs dangling from her chest, as is oft-seen and expected from the bustier of anime girls.

Her oppai are colossal, and yet so elegant as the artist is very skilled. The line of curve, or cleavage in this case, seen between the opening of the suit goes forward long ways to create a substantial sense of depth – and notice how that line goes from expressed through faint shadow, to a bold black outline. This excellent application of line-weight gives her breasts their respective sense of weight and shape. One can indeed look at her oppai and practically feel their heaviness because their size is certainly understood through the aesthetics.

the source is coming from inside the threeeeeeead

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pierson posted:

the source is coming from inside the threeeeeeead

It's a quote from that link.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Good to know that if I want to be creeped out for whatever reason, I can always go to SeventhStyle to get that done. Jesus christ. :suicide:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hadn't seen this posted before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyGcdRA8KA

I actually think the Gauna look pretty good. :shobon:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://llamaop.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/sidonia-no-kishi-ed/

Also here's the preview of the ED song. Since when did Paramore get a better guitarist and learn Japanese? :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just binged the manga. My reactions are... typical I suppose. Tsumugu is adorable, it's often hard to tell characters apart, and the harem antics feel sort of surreal. I also feel that the romance side of things is surprisingly compelling and I find myself annoyed that they keep getting interrupted to fight space monsters (who are probably friendly but eat people to communicate or whatever). Actually, I think that deserves slightly more than a parenthetical note: I feel like the Gauna are literally trying to communicate by shooting Higgs lasers and whatnot. They're just imitating what the humans do without the slightest understanding of the meaning behind their actions. I don't think it's even self-defense since they probably don't understand "aggression". Well, I guess you can't exactly call that friendly either.

That said, I think the anime will probably be terrible unless they make some major changes, which they don't seem to be doing from the previews. The pacing of the story just doesn't suit an anime format, in my opinion.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
http://llamaop.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/sidonia-no-kishi-op/

Holy crap Atsuko can sing.

Also Lala use to be hot.

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 10, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The cycle of life, from girl, to woman, to Kerbal, to talking bear.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
And the anime is out. Man this series comes alive with color!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ironically enough, I feel like rearranging the storytelling and exposition to actually make sense from the beginning hurts the show overall, because it downplays the manga's strengths (atmosphere) and emphasizes its weaknesses (harem-ish, uncompelling main character).

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
The OP really grows on you. The lyrics, surprisingly for an anime OP song, is really fitting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Clarste posted:

Ironically enough, I feel like rearranging the storytelling and exposition to actually make sense from the beginning hurts the show overall, because it downplays the manga's strengths (atmosphere) and emphasizes its weaknesses (harem-ish, uncompelling main character).

Its not really ironic. There is tons of boring exposition because they are probably trying to adapt everything that has been released so far. That means they would have to cover a volume per episode. There isn't room for anything but the plot.

Also, the framerate is terrible for the CG. It makes everybody look like puppets.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I really love how all the painted backgrounds looks but the cg characters and the low framerate will take some time to get used to, if ever.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The character animation generally looked fine to me, barring some very ropey parts, such as when the Captain gives Nagate a hug. Nagate looks and sounds about as gormless as he should. The interface graphics (like on the Gardes' HUD and the Sidonia's bridge screen) look fantastic.

EDIT: This appears for a few frames in the opening sequence:

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 12, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Gauna look like gross tentacle monsters for now, it's going to take a while to get a close look at the obscene femininity of these weird alien space monsters.

I like the adaptation alot. The sound and the motion really lets it set the bizarre futuristic atmosphere, which contrasts nicely with the silly harem poo poo. The faces look rather crap, but the motions look fine, and the dirty scuffed look of everyone's clothing and gear gives it that old Star Wars lived in feel. This society has made many, many sacrifices, and we don't need to prattle on to let the audience know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

If the anime rearranges things a bit, is there a point I should get to in the manga before I start watching it?

• Locked thread