Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Algid
Oct 10, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Please tell me the relationship stuff stops :(
Look at how wrong you are.

Pierson posted:

Something I can definitely see happening is the Captain banning further hybrid creation after this latest disaster and/or destroying the new one, forcing Ochiai to use the only vessel available to him; Tsugumi. :ohdear:
Little bro isn't getting killed off that easily, you can't just build a working GBE and the leave it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

muike posted:

How exactly did Ochiai get possession of Kunato's body? The scene where he walked into the vault was a little confusing to me in general.
He had brain parasites lying around as backups. It's the basis for the fake psykokinesis stuff he did, there never was any sort of telepathy, it just involved hijacking bodies, which apparently doesn't actually work too well on chimera given the multiple failures so far.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Argas posted:

Strangely though, the brainwiped Ochiai does seem to have actual psychokinesis.
That could just be sufficiently advanced science, but the real Ochiai does mention that psychokinesis is real, it just doesn't do much beyond the scale of de-thorning cacti.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Maybe the reason the younger generations have less males is because they're pretty much biologically superfluous at this point? The Honoka clone series can probably supply enough pilots for a tenth of the guardian fleet or something.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Dessel posted:

My biggest problem with the series is that I have really hard time telling characters apart - It doesn't help I have a terrible name memory. Also there are apparent immortals/people who look young for ages, so pretty much the entire cast is young. Talking of that, I wonder how eternal youth would basically affect how people act, would they skip some part of maturing? I started to think about this when Izana's granny displayed her old wardrobe: Are there any particular reasons apart from working as "an official" for dropping them This is interesting in the respect that the very idea of childhood is kind of a fairly new construct as an idea to some degree. Adolescence more so. But I doubt the series will explore these questions. I'm also not sure the granny is entirely trustworthy - Where's the mother? Dead? Why? I'm just baselessly speculating she might be interested in using Izana to prolong her life.
Grandma is probably just a term of endearment. She's the one that created the artificial wombs after the bottleneck event and spliced on photosynthesis functions to the newer generations. Intersexed people are even newer, they're still relatively rare, Izana even joked around near the start that she and Nagate should basically stick together because they both helped fill the affirmative action quota.

Izana is probably just a prototype that grandma is raising herself. I mean, grandma Shinatose even mentioned that the artificial wombs were needed to avoid extinction and seed the gene pool to the point that sexual reproduction was at all possible, it's unlikely that she actually had a kid with someone considering she's like one of the only 3 remaining members of the immortals and she works all the time.

Algid fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 15, 2014

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

MustelaFuro posted:

Seriously though, could someone tell me What happened during the 2nd Gauna battle that made everyone pissed at Nigate?
Kunato told him to shoot on a private radio channel ahead of time, this messed up the timing for everyone else and people got killed.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Turn A posted:

Well, she is resistant to Kabi, but I don't necessarily think that means she is indestructible. If it is assumed that she is similar to Tsumugi as far as repair factors are concerned, then she cannot automatically regenerate. Chimeras don't possess a true body, do they? If that's the case, then why is the Kabi resistance so important? To begin with, Kabizashis can't penetrate a placenta barrier of even 1 centimeter thick.
No, her skeleton and parts of her carapace are based on the composite material that covers the true body, but also treated to be resistant to kabi. It's the same reason the guardian Nagate currently uses is indestructible. They even mentioned that you can dunk the stuff inside of a sun and it'll survive.

I'm pretty sure 1 shot from a GBE will still work though if we ever need to resolve things that way.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

muike posted:

It could, but Nihei reuses a lot of elements from prior works in all of his manga, and they aren't all necessarily continuous. Toha Industries is in just about all of them, as far as I recall. Aside from some of the shorter one-offs, like Digimortal and the 3 or 4 page one about Space Flies or whatever.
He also did a Wolverine comic a while back, and now we basically have Nagate piloting a mech made out of adamantium.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Author's notes for the latest chapter are hilarious:

"I see nothing but artificial buildings...this is a wonderful city. This book store is like a labyrinth, I feel at home."

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Clarste posted:

Yeah, the immortal council doesn't have immortality genes, they just undergo some medical procedure to live forever. It's implied that brain transplants to vat-grown clones is a thing.
It is a thing, but it hasn't actually been used because it's not necessary. Tanikaze was meant to be one, but only because grandpa's body couldn't be salvaged by the anti-aging drugs anymore.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They're plentiful enough that the only non-gauna alien contact so far was an abandoned anti-gauna weapons cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Tsumugi got quite a few chunks taken out of her during the battle. I'm guessing Lem is going to have a whole lot of clones of hers running around.

• Locked thread