Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Zenzirouj posted:

So all we know is that Sidonia sent their new ship to gently caress around near a star for some reason, right? We have no idea why they shot at the thing or why it turned into a mass union or why pretty much anything is happening?

Right now they're fighting the small Mass Union Ship because it was in their way. As to their mission at the star, Kobayashi is willing to blow up a planet in order to flush out one or two Gauna, how far do you think she would go to hurt that Mass Union Ship (the big one)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Wookie Bouquet posted:

But in all seriousness, adding new characters this far along makes me feel like there are no plans to end the series anytime soon.

After reading through this series in a day, I decided to check out some of Nihei's other stuff. It seems like he has a tendency to radically alter the tone, art, and even story halfway through a series before eventually going completely off the rails insane (Ex: Biomega, Abara). I think he just gets bored of drawing the same thing but with bigger enemies and decides to experiment. Hopefully the structure of Sidonia with the story alternating between robot/monster fights and slice of life episodes will help him stay focused in the long run.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Sydnesider posted:

You wonder how much of Sidonia Ochiai is going to destroy now since there is no working counter to the 'superstructure'. Can't see Kobayashi surviving, Ochiai's going to want some revenge for 100 years imprisonment.

Were Ochiai's aims ever clear though, apart from for humans to survive they have to evolve to a higher life form? Does he have to murder all remaining humans to prove his point?

Probably will be resolved in the next few chapters anyway.

Last time he was just going to leave sidonia. He threw away their kabi so that they couldn't chase him down and kill him and because he believed the gauna were attacking sidonia to try and get the kabi. Then his chimera malfunctioned/went berserk and gauna attacked sidonia and everything went to hell.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Pierson posted:

New chapter and some poo poo is going down. kinda disappointed we didn't get a shot of what the inside of the hull looks like after they shot through it to get at Ochiai. Poor box is getting some abuse. And Chimera-Ochiai looks badass.

When they mentioned the second Graviton Beam Emitter I knew exactly what was going to happen, with a GBE the definition of "Line of Sight" becomes rather malleable. :hellyeah:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
That doesn't seem too far fetched, given the power creep in the series so far.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Also what is the deal with the new introducing new characters. Feels like we have a larger cast than all of Nihei's earlier works combined (at least on the protagonist side).

Redshirts are people too.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
BLAME!.webm

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Everything Burrito posted:

I wish this was a full show. Want to see 25 eps of Killy blowing holes in poo poo and having zero personality.

It would be pretty cheap to make, no need for voice actors, scripts, or set designers: just Killy wandering through an endless procedural generated megastructure firing the GBE at random intervals.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Pierson posted:

Got another link to that clip? Isn't supported for me. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js0josF4_nA

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blocked already. :commissar:

Incredible, the last time I uploaded something to Youtube it took them nearly an hour to block it.

Here: just right click and save as then open the .webm in Irfanview or Media Player Classic or literally any modern media application.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ytlaya posted:

Dorohedoro owns and is possibly the best sci-fi/fantasy manga I've ever read. The setting is just extremely unique and the cast of characters is great.

Dorohedoro is bizarre and fantastic and I love each and every character except for the one guy that you're supposed to hate. Everyone else is either amusingly amoral or entertainingly evil, everyone has goals and motivations and people that they care about. The "bad" guys are selflessly loyal to each other and even the comically evil Devils are always a riot.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
New chapter out. Somehow, things get worse.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sidonia-No-Kishi/Vol-015-Ch-076--The-Mass-Union-Ships--Counter-Attack?id=236907

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
If they can temporarily clear out the Guana in the system, they can build a shitload of GBEs and solar power collectors.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Pewdiepie posted:

They should have sex with the gauna.

Ochiai already did.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Kanos posted:

If Ochiai was willing to just gently caress off and not gently caress with Sidonia they probably would have let him go be a transhumanist hybrid demigod for as long as he wanted.

He tended to plan for the long term, and was probably worried about Sidonia's descendents surpassing him thousands of years in the future and threatening his immortality.

Or he's just a jerk.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the reason everyone hates him is that his experiments somehow (forget how exactly) resulted in drawing Gauna to Sidonia, killing off most of its population.

He thought the Gauna were chasing the Kabi, or that the Kabi could be used to kill his chimera, so he threw them off the ship. One Gauna didn't take the bait, attacked the defenseless Sidonia and killed all but 500 people in the few minutes it took Tanikaze 1.0 to kill Ochiai and retrieve the Kabi.

Xy Hapu posted:

I have to wonder what his ultimate plan even is. Become the greatest evolution of humanity, pat self on back, then . . . float endlessly and alone through space?

He would have made a clone to pat himself on the back.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I wonder how that kid is going to turn out, considering that her father is some kind of immortal and her mother is technically made out of placenta. Isn't that how chimeras are made?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Zenzirouj posted:

Wasn't the whole mini-ocean on the front half of Sidonia that got clobbered off? Are they just eating guana-bits on this planet? Maybe they had seeds and junk stashed somewhere else.

They're pretty good at cloning.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
http://manga.life/read-online/SidoniaNoKishi/chapter-78.5/index-1

Knights of Sidonia/Blame! crossover special

https://my.mixtape.moe/eebojy.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
If you read BLAME! and thought to yourself, "This is great but it would make a lot more sense if there was an android and a bear jumping a motorcycle off the roof of an exploding gothic cathedral" then you're gonna love Biomega.

• Locked thread