Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Paper Hearts, Oubliette, Die Hand Der Whatsit, the Closure two-parter all spring to mind, but I don't remember the specifics behind any of them.

Ah, I meant as in seeing it. Have they ever showed a child's dead body or done a postmortem before? I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

sticklefifer posted:

Ah, I meant as in seeing it. Have they ever showed a child's dead body or done a postmortem before? I can't remember.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_(The_X-Files)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

sticklefifer posted:

It was all in the low-key banter during certain scenes, for example when the party clown guy was getting beaten, and Mulder would be like "It's a witch hunt, the public indicting this sex offender before due process. But that's what America's like now, WINK." Everyone I was watching with picked up on it too, so I know I'm not imagining things.
This is the most retarded misreading of an episode I've read in a long time. The writer wasn't criticizing #MeToo at all, he was showing one way witch hunts happen: Something bad happens and it's pinned on a random dude people already don't like.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, Mulder's little monologue sounded a bit out of place and pretty much like Trump's whining about due process.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Mulder monologuing on Big Ideas has been a thing since like late Season 1 or early Season 2.

Chop Sunni posted:

I liked this one but (possibly this is a touch of 'as a parent, I') it started pretty tone deaf.

*bloody remains of mutilated three year-old*
Mulder: Witchcraft. Sweet.

Oh for sure, the whole opening scene had me riddled with anxiety, as well as the funeral. Dadding has made me pretty sensitive to any depictions of violence against children.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Do I need to watch last week’s episode before tonight’s?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Do I need to watch last week’s episode before tonight’s?
No. Last week was a pure MOTW episode.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So Jere Burns is now a creepy witch doctor who is in a cult. That's quite a role after being Jesse Pinkman's drug counselor in Breaking Bad and Wynn Duffy from Justified.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The loving gently caress. I didn't think anything could creep me out more than Mr. Chuckleteeth.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

That was a solid episode with a :unsmith: ending.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Man, that ending was really loving sweet. I forgot how well Fox and Scully work as a romantic couple.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I legit loved that episode and not in "I love any new X-Files", but it was a good MOTW with a creepy, gross monster, Wynn Duffy, and some good Mulder and Scully shipping.

Edit : I'm going to cry like a baby next week.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gobbeldygook posted:

This is the most retarded misreading of an episode I've read in a long time. The writer wasn't criticizing #MeToo at all, he was showing one way witch hunts happen: Something bad happens and it's pinned on a random dude people already don't like.

I don't think this is like South Park where they can shift directions that fast anyway. Pretty sure the episode was written and produced WAY before metoo and well this is just another daft goon projecting.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The episode was filmed in December.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was a pretty good episode of Millennium.

(The Glen Morgan is strong with this season generally, I felt. But this episode, particularly the ironic song choice and the cult, felt the Morganiest.)

Virgil Thatcher
Mar 3, 2008
Am I the only one who thought immediately of Hugo Simpson's "I made a pigeon-rat" when those two were stitched together? Maybe I've been watching the Fox network for too long.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
That was good. That felt very classic X-Files.

I think my only problem with it is that it felt a little too truncated, like it didn't "want" to be a single episode. There were at least three really strong ideas/threads running through it, and they all ended just a little too abruptly. Like they didn't really know how to end it. It would've done much better as a two-parter, I think.

Still liked it, though - that weird-rear end back-to-back thing is gonna stick with me for a while, I'm sure - and I'll add to the consensus that the closer with Mulder and Scully was the right kind of sweet.

:sigh: not looking forward to Carter's parting shot in which he shits away all the good will built up over this season. This was worlds more enjoyable than the last, that wet fart of a premiere aside.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 17, 2018

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So, if we’re being real, tonight is the series finale isn’t it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So, if we’re being real, tonight is the series finale isn’t it?

Most likely. Anderson says she's done, Carter says he won't do the show without her, the ratings have been in the loving tank.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Updated stealth space shuttle is badass!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Is it just me or did it go from light to dark instantly?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Well. That sure was..........something.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Can't wait for next season!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rip:

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
That's about as bad as it gets. It's like a love letter to all the worst episodes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've thought this run of the new X-files totally hit the camp of the original.
Thought this last episode pushed the "eeeh" envelope a little hard, because I've not really ever been a fan of Mulder and Scully being "mom and dad" on any level. Whatever. I can get over it.

But...people... it's the freaking X-files. It's Dana shrugging at Fox saying "C'mon Mulder" over fish men in sewer pipes. You don't get to complain about how not-nostalgic'ly campy your memories are.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
For a (presumptive) series finale, that was disappointing. It's been 16 years since I've seen the original series finale and maybe I'm wearing rose tinted glasses here, but I remember that being a fuckton better than this could ever be.

And maybe I misinterpreted it, but wasn't Reyes earlier trying to mislead CSM in this one when she got off the phone? So I get why she'd run over Skinner when he's shooting at them, but she makes no hostile actions at CSM. Come to think of it, I can't remember if he shot at them first, or she started driving at him which provoked him.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Shitenshi posted:

For a (presumptive) series finale, that was disappointing. It's been 16 years since I've seen the original series finale and maybe I'm wearing rose tinted glasses here, but I remember that being a fuckton better than this could ever be.

And maybe I misinterpreted it, but wasn't Reyes earlier trying to mislead CSM in this one when she got off the phone? So I get why she'd run over Skinner when he's shooting at them, but she makes no hostile actions at CSM. Come to think of it, I can't remember if he shot at them first, or she started driving at him which provoked him.

They made the classic movie mistake of NOT shooting the prone man, presumed dead.
Just left him lay there.

Had they shot him, it would have proven death. As is, Skinner dove under the car during impact and just lay still.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well that was underwhelming, and this is an episode with a character that can blow people up with his mind. I almost didn't even notice that Reyes had died, which speaks volumes. And I don't even think The Smoking Man is dead, honestly. Dude survived a missile to the face.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

Well that was underwhelming, and this is an episode with a character that can blow people up with his mind. I almost didn't even notice that Reyes had died, which speaks volumes. And I don't even think The Smoking Man is dead, honestly. Dude survived a missile to the face.

The original series had an entire episode devoted to paranormal lightning bugs.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The next time Chris Carter's name is on a project, remind me to not be interested in it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can someone summarize for the folks who can’t watch until tomorrow? I’m dying to know if Carter managed to top his previous bullshit.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can someone summarize for the folks who can’t watch until tomorrow? I’m dying to know if Carter managed to top his previous bullshit.

It's retarded.

Mulder's son impersonating him as himself? I don't loving know? He reveals himself to be a shapeshifter alien and kills a ton of people? ..No, literally.

It's stupid retarded.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 22, 2018

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

And by this I mean:

Fox Mulder's supposed son is a shapeshifting alien being that is not really his son. But he believes it to be his son and this creature can instantaneously make humans explode just by thinking of them. Because of of his and Dana's loving.

e: I still thought the overall theme of the series was dead-on... I think they nailed original X-files, especially the later part of the series. *shrug*. Thought they nailed where they were and how to grab it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 22, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also it ends with said kid still being alive coming out of the river after falling in after being shot in the head. Also Scully's pregnant but Gillian's not coming back and I 100% don't blame her

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Chris James 2 posted:

Also it ends with said kid still being alive coming out of the river after falling in after being shot in the head. Also Scully's pregnant but Gillian's not coming back and I 100% don't blame her

wh...

:wtc:

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Where are you guys getting the alien shapeshifter stuff? Didn't we get explicit shots of him appearing as himself on video while he projected a different image in person? I was sincerely trying to follow Scully in the last scene and all I got was "he was an experiment... William was..." and then she trailed off because Chris Carter is completely out of ideas.

This was unbelievably bad. Like trying its hardest to ruin all previous episodes bad. I barely remember season 9 but the Scully in those episodes would not take some convoluted explanation involving aliens and experiments as an excuse to abdicate her role as "mother." And to try to paper over that with "forget him babe, you magically knocked me up for real this time" is such a sin against this character I love so much.

I guess we know why Gillian Anderson is leaving. God bless that poor woman for acting her heart out despite it all.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Not sure how to feel about the secondary bad dudes having their plot wrapped up with Mulder 360 noscoping 3 mercenaries and then just shooting the not-Bannon. The whole thing felt really rushed, but there also didn't seem to be much in the way of plot. Just off.

I wouldn't even say that I hated it, it just didn't feel like a finale. At least we got The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat out of this season. That can be the unofficial finale.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Well like every other episode about the shambling mess of 'alien virus, super son' arc, this was awful and worse unsatisfying. Which sucks, but really I don't think many of us are really surprised. I guess the sad part is Forehead Sweat and Roomba-hell were really really entertaining. The other episode of the week ones were also usually okay. So clearly, that realization of the X-files works fine, and this insistence on introducing a really really poorly organized arc was what probably sunk this show for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

unlawfulsoup posted:

Well like every other episode about the shambling mess of 'alien virus, super son' arc, this was awful and worse unsatisfying. Which sucks, but really I don't think many of us are really surprised. I guess the sad part is Forehead Sweat and Roomba-hell were really really entertaining. The other episode of the week ones were also usually okay. So clearly, that realization of the X-files works fine, and this insistence on introducing a really really poorly organized arc was what probably sunk this show for good.
Even in the old X-Files, I really never liked the overarching alien arc. It always felt so drat clumsy, with too many moments where it went "Well ACTUALLY the things that other guy said were total lies, this is what's REALLY happening!" only for three arc episodes later when someone else goes "Nah, nah, nah, this is the REAL conspiracy, which is about yadda yadda yadda!" The episodes of the week were just fine, but I kind of felt myself rolling my eyes whenever it was clear another big mythos episode was starting.

• Locked thread