Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

The original series had an entire episode devoted to paranormal lightning bugs.

Darkness Falls was good, though. It's always been one of those episode's that stuck in my mind since I first saw it in the 90s. Plus, early Titus Welliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

unlawfulsoup posted:

Well like every other episode about the shambling mess of 'alien virus, super son' arc, this was awful and worse unsatisfying. Which sucks, but really I don't think many of us are really surprised. I guess the sad part is Forehead Sweat and Roomba-hell were really really entertaining. The other episode of the week ones were also usually okay. So clearly, that realization of the X-files works fine, and this insistence on introducing a really really poorly organized arc was what probably sunk this show for good.
I always found myself not liking the mythos episodes, even in the original run of the show. Seemed like there was too much of "Well actually, what you thought all along is wrong, this what the TRUE conspiracy is!" only for next season having someone else go "No, no, THIS is what the deal with the aliens REALLY is!" and I think nobody writing the show even knew what the real answer was. I much preferred the monster of the week episodes over the arching story line.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I always looked forward to and loved the mytharc episodes in the original run, but I was also in high school and stopped watching altogether sometime near the end of season 4.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I hate that the last shot of Hot FBI DadSkinner is his boots under a loving Ford SUV

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

apophenium posted:

I hate that the last shot of Hot FBI DadSkinner is his boots under a loving Ford SUV
Wait, did he actually die? I kind of blinked and completely missed what happened to him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Wait, did he actually die? I kind of blinked and completely missed what happened to him.

He got ran over by an SUV

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Chris James 2 posted:

He got ran over by an SUV
Like I said, I kind of blinked and missed what happened. I just kind of assumed he got away because I never thought the show would just gloss over the death of one of its oldest and best characters.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'm assuming he's still alive. But I'm not assuming that there will be more X-Files

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fox: Hey, I never really gave a poo poo about being a dad, but suddenly it's my whole purpose in life. What are we going to do Sculley, he killed William?
Dana: Don't worry, he was a freak anyways, lol. I know I was obsessed with him for years but don't worry, I've got a new one in the oven!
Fox: Great!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

apophenium posted:

I'm assuming he's still alive. But I'm not assuming that there will be more X-Files

I figured he somehow managed to be clear under the car, but to be honest who knows?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Fox: Hey, I never really gave a poo poo about being a dad, but suddenly it's my whole purpose in life. What are we going to do Sculley, he killed William?
Dana: Don't worry, he was a freak anyways, lol. I know I was obsessed with him for years but don't worry, I've got a new one in the oven!
Fox: Great!

The son should have said he is returning to his planet now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think I’ll just skip the last two episodes and consider Forehead Sweat the real series finale.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Second to last episode was actually good though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Give it two to five years and X-Files will be rebooted without Carter. That people even gave this poo poo a chance after that last season means there's an audience, but there'd be an even bigger audience for an X-Files with more of a crazy motw focus, a competent producer, and younger leads. It's a timeless formula once you have removed the horrible mythos: skeptic and believer investigate creepy weird poo poo, it just does not deserve the baggage. And again, a sane and competent producer who can pick out two leads and twist the formula, not whatever the loving hell was going on in that flaming bag of poo poo mushroom episode last season.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That was almost tolerable until the ending monologue just pushed it over into complete garbage territory.

Also what the gently caress is up with Skinner? I can't believe they left it at that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Like I said, I kind of blinked and missed what happened. I just kind of assumed he got away because I never thought the show would just gloss over the death of one of its oldest and best characters.

It's one of those things where if there was a decent chance of another episode of the show, he and CSM and everyone else would be back for some weird story reason and everything would go back to normal. As is, it's expected that's the last scene you'll ever get of that character

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Give it two to five years and X-Files will be rebooted without Carter. That people even gave this poo poo a chance after that last season means there's an audience, but there'd be an even bigger audience for an X-Files with more of a crazy motw focus, a competent producer, and younger leads. It's a timeless formula once you have removed the horrible mythos: skeptic and believer investigate creepy weird poo poo, it just does not deserve the baggage. And again, a sane and competent producer who can pick out two leads and twist the formula, not whatever the loving hell was going on in that flaming bag of poo poo mushroom episode last season.

They did another mushroom episode last season?!

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Was just waiting for skinner’s feet to curl up and retract under the car, like something out of wizard of oz

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Seriously that shot is the only thing I think about when I try to remember the rest of the episode. What the gently caress. Now I'll never be able to rewatch without being haunted by Skinner's shoes

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This was a great season overall, but that was a wet fart of a finale and really sucked the wind out of my sails.

Scully suddenly decides she doesn't care about William because she's pregnant again? Skinner's fate is to be pinned under an SUV, possibly dead? Reyes just kind of dies with no fanfare or anything? All of that sucked.

The only part I liked was the Cigarette Smoking Man's death, since you could sense Mulder's anger and it was a dirty and undignified way to die. I'm also assuming he's not really dead anyway, but whatever.

Excluding the premiere and this episode, the season ranged from pretty dang good (Ghouli and Kitten) to freaking amazing (Forehead Sweat and the robot one). I still consider it a success, and way better than last season. But this was one of the worst episodes I've ever seen.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

They should rearrange the episode order so Forehead Sweat is our canonical ending.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm glad skinner got his rear end ate before series ended.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/GillianA/status/977221356893941760

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

That's amazing. I really wonder what the table read was like for this episode. Do they skip those? Surely someone had to have piped up and told Carter this script was awful.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I really admired how hard Duchovny and Anderson were trying. They definitely didn't phone it in despite the utter crap they were given to work with.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I honestly didn't dislike the episode in a vacuum, but the ending was VERY obviously a "just in case there's more" one. I was fine with the William arc and how it resolved, because I figured he was going to resurface anyway, and it's a fine ending for Mulder and Scully as a couple, but beyond that it wasn't a definitive series finale at all.

If the door was unequivocally NOT supposed to be left open for more, it would've been a two-hour finale where CSM gets his absolute final comeuppance, Reyes and (maybe) Skinner don't have vague handwaved deaths, there's actual closure about aliens, and there's actual closure about what happens to the X-Files rather than the "they're shutting it down...AGAIN" move they've been pulling in nearly every season since the first one. [edit]Oh yeah, and we find out whatever happened to Doggett, goddammit.

Oh well, I guess Disney owns it now anyway, so prepare for the X-Files Cinematic Universe coming in a few more years once all the contracts settle.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 24, 2018

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'd find the revival episodes much more enjoyable as a whole if you chopped off all 4 My Struggle episodes, I get that Chris Carter felt he had a story to tell but just... No, please.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I thought it was going to be a joke.

My Struggle? Mein Kampf?

I though it was going to a Hitler joke.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Accretionist posted:

I thought it was going to be a joke.

My Struggle? Mein Kampf?

I though it was going to a Hitler joke.

Was the Hitler reference intentional? It's all I can think of when I see/hear those titles, but I don't know why they'd want to make that association.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if Hitler could have written a better X Files finale than Chris Carter :thunk:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
He knew a thing or two about finales after which additional finales are not required.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 25, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lol The Lone Gunmen had a more satisfying and complete series finale, and I'm not even talking about "Jump the Shark"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

He knew a thing or two about finales after which additional finales are not required.
On the other hand his previous work is a huge rambling mess. So he'd probably fit right in.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It literally just aired in the UK, but honestly, it felt like a proper ending in a way the previous three attempts didn't. William is off the table, CSM is gone, so the mythology is kinda.....over? It should have been a two parter, and the way they wrote out the aliens was awful (after all that effort and decades of planning, they gave up because of global warming?!). It wasn't great, but it felt like a better epilogue than the end of series 9, the last film or the end of series 10 did.

I was expecting Mulder and Scully to leak the PDFs of The X-FIles online, since they established earlier in the season that they had been digitially archived, they brought back Joel McHale's character for reasons and the FBI is finally sick of Mulder and Scully. That would have been a themetic ending, a whole 'you can hide if everyone knows' thing, which would have closed Mulder's arc nicely.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

OldMemes posted:

It literally just aired in the UK, but honestly, it felt like a proper ending in a way the previous three attempts didn't. William is off the table, CSM is gone, so the mythology is kinda.....over? It should have been a two parter, and the way they wrote out the aliens was awful (after all that effort and decades of planning, they gave up because of global warming?!). It wasn't great, but it felt like a better epilogue than the end of series 9, the last film or the end of series 10 did.

I was expecting Mulder and Scully to leak the PDFs of The X-FIles online, since they established earlier in the season that they had been digitially archived, they brought back Joel McHale's character for reasons and the FBI is finally sick of Mulder and Scully. That would have been a themetic ending, a whole 'you can hide if everyone knows' thing, which would have closed Mulder's arc nicely.

Decades? Aren't the aliens related to the million year old black oil?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think using the alien war storyline to try to tie it all off would've been better. I mean, they kinda did that in season 6 with Two Fathers/One Son but it was just quietly happening in the background until it was completely forgotten by the time season 9 rolled around. It's too bad, because the setup for it were some really great episodes back in season 5.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 27, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OldMemes posted:

CSM is gone

:lol:

He took a missile to the face, and wasn't even burned. poo poo, when we saw him actually burned and injured, that was just a fantasy/dream. IRL he was perfectly fine apparently.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Astroman posted:

:lol:

He took a missile to the face, and wasn't even burned. poo poo, when we saw him actually burned and injured, that was just a fantasy/dream. IRL he was perfectly fine apparently.

I'm guessing it's too creatively taxing for Carter to come up with a new villain who isn't just a variation on a conspiracy of powerful old white guys plotting away in some dark, smokey room.

I'm also amused that they've stopped bothering to give CSM reasons for his actions other than he's just an evil guy who does evil things. Even Megatron and Skeletor have better character motivations than this.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Skinner lived for sure. No way was he going to do all those magic secrets revealed shows without picking up a trick or two.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OldMemes posted:

William is off the table
No he isn't. He just faked his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
You're all being ridiculous; this is clearly just another vision that Scully and William are having, and if the show ever got resurrected they would just zoom out of Scully's eye again and start over for My Struggle V.

• Locked thread