Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Basebf555 posted:

They really hosed up in my opinion with that 2-part episode where Mulder thinks some random child murder killed his sister.

Are you talking about Paper Hearts? I thought that was actually a really good MotW episode. I don't think the audience is ever supposed to really suspect that was what happened to Mulder's sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Basebf555 posted:

On its own its a pretty good episode, I agree. But at the time yea I felt like you were totally supposed to buy into the fact that maybe Mulder was just chasing ghosts his whole life. I did at least, maybe I'm just dumb. Anyway, that would have been fine, but then they went back on it within a few episodes, so it just ended up being confusing, especially when your trying to piece everything together in your mind later.

Fair enough. I remember thinking it was dumb the first time I watched it, because it's so obvious there's no way some rando serial killer took Mulder's sister. Every time I do a rewatch though I like it more and more.

Also, don't they explain within the episode that he wasn't related to Samantha's kidnapping in any way at all? Mulder takes him to a different house/they explain Tom Noonan's character has psychic abilities.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Watching the HD episodes.

I think the worst part about "Space" is that it totally wastes Ed Lauter.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Basebf555 posted:

He's still good in it though, if there's anything worthwhile in that episode he's it.

Oh, he definitely gives it his all. He could have been really, really good in a half decent episode though. Feels like a waste.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

8 is definitely different, mainly adding the falling Duchovny at the end(although I don't know how long into the season they keep that)

9 is updated too. The old one is way better and the stills from "Squeeze" are iconic. Wonder what they'll do for the new series.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Darin Morgan is 5-for-5 on great X-Files episodes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The episode quality depends on the redness of Scully's hair.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

freudorbison posted:

Really not a great episode. I mean, I get that there's a demographic for "cutesy/zany humor delivered by a brit/kiwi/aussie", but it just doesn't fit into X-files. And with the writers practically making GBS threads references all over the viewer, I hope this is the last "funny" episode for this season.

Eh, Darin Morgan usually references his other episodes, so it's not really a new thing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Castor Poe posted:

Great ep, it had everything I wanted from a Darin Morgan episode and some more (i.e the return of the legendary red speedo). At the end of the day it was probably his weakest effort, which speaks volume on how great of a writer he is.

Yeah, it was probably tied with "War of the Coprophages" for me -- without repeat viewings, obviously -- which still puts it in the top quarter of X-Files episodes. At least.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Taear posted:

It's never even been on Netflix for anyone that isn't American!

That's not true. :canada:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gravitee posted:

I will take mediocre seasons if we get at least one Darin-written episode out of it.

This.

The guy is five-for-five as far as I'm concerned, and season 10 was worth it for a new Darin Morgan episode. If season 11 gives me another one of those plus some other decent entries I'll be happy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That sucked, but I expected it. There were a couple good things in it, which puts it above season 10's finale and about on par with season 10's premiere.

Luckily we're getting a bunch of monster-of-the-week episodes, and if other writers and directors deal with Carter's mytharc subplot it might end up better.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Octy posted:

I hope not. I can't think of an episode where bringing back the MotW actually worked well, except maybe 'Tooms'.

I didn't mind the one where Donnie Pfaster came back. But yeah, every MotW return or sequel has been a step down from the first, so why bother?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That was a good episode. Not great, but good. A cool way to have one of the Gunmen back and a legit creepy ending.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dmitri-9 posted:

I thought it perfectly encapsulated the Silicon Valley nightmare world we live in.

Now this makes me want an X-Files episode about Silicon Valley tech giants who are doing that young person blood transfusion thing and end up turning into monsters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Dmitri-9 posted:

I thought it perfectly encapsulated the Silicon Valley nightmare world we live in.

Now I want an X-File about Silicon Valley tech guys doing that young person blood transfusion thing and turning into monsters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

6-for-6

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not counting Blood?

(I guess, technically it's just a script credit rather than a full blown writing credit.)

Yeah, he's got a 'story by' on that and it's a great episode, but leave some glory for everyone else.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

"My Struggle III" was the only one I hated, and even that was a step up from I and II. "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" and "Rm9sbG93ZXJz" are great, but even the rest of the episodes have ranged from forgettable at worst to really good.

I think it's been a success so far and even though I'm extremely cautious about "My Struggle IV" I'm glad season 11 as a whole exists.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The message wasn't "stop looking at your phone", it was "be nice to service workers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

It really bothers me since neither Fox nor Scully were ever the "constantly on their phones" type of people. Fox especially, I mean him not being able to take a picture with his phone was literally a plot point of an episode last season.

"Mulder, if you had to do without a cellphone for two minutes, you'd lapse into catatonic schizophrenia."

• Locked thread