Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The X-Files :allears:

Probably the best show of the 90s, aside from the Simpsons. It's been copied, homaged and referenced, but never bettered. I don't think there's ever been a show quite like it since.

Is the Dark Horse comic any good? If they did do the third movie, even as a straight to DVD or TV miniseries, that'd be fine. If not, I guess the comic will eventually end the invasion plot thread, since the second movie decided to completely ignore the planned attack. (Seriously, Mulder and Sully don't seem very worried that the aliens are planning to invade the Earth pretty soon. I don't think they even mention it?>).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It literally just aired in the UK, but honestly, it felt like a proper ending in a way the previous three attempts didn't. William is off the table, CSM is gone, so the mythology is kinda.....over? It should have been a two parter, and the way they wrote out the aliens was awful (after all that effort and decades of planning, they gave up because of global warming?!). It wasn't great, but it felt like a better epilogue than the end of series 9, the last film or the end of series 10 did.

I was expecting Mulder and Scully to leak the PDFs of The X-FIles online, since they established earlier in the season that they had been digitially archived, they brought back Joel McHale's character for reasons and the FBI is finally sick of Mulder and Scully. That would have been a themetic ending, a whole 'you can hide if everyone knows' thing, which would have closed Mulder's arc nicely.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

Decades? Aren't the aliens related to the million year old black oil?

Yep, but the aliens were actively working with the Syndicate since the 1950s. We did get the William is alive twist clip, what I mean is that there's not really anyone after him now, so he's off the table in terms of super plan to conquer the Earth.

Seriously though, CSM hand waving why the aliens didn't invade in 2012 like they planned to in the original show was bad, but the Syndicate just going 'oh yeah they just gave up because Global Warming' was amazingly bad. The problem with the mythology episodes is that they had loads of great moments and ideas, but couldn't tie them together in a statisfying way (what DID happen with the alien rebels thing), and that problem was worse in the revival. Like the original show ends with the US government infiltrated by super soliders who are preparing for the colonists to attack in 2012, the movie and new show is like 'lol no' and now the CSM is trying to help the enviroment...or something? I'm guessing that they couldn't afford to have a full alien invasion on a TV budget. It seemed like the show was always reluctant to shake up the status quo too much for more than a few episodes. The mythology episodes had some fantastic bits, but Monster of the Week is the X-Files's bread and butter. The best part of the My Struggle episodes was having William B. Davis be sinster and Mitch Pileggi say things in a stern voice, tbh.

It felt more like an ending for Mulder and Scully this time round, even if it wasn't a great one. They totally wasted Joel McHale though.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 28, 2018

• Locked thread