Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So the 283 came out today

I have this adapter

For this transmission

Im also babysitting my step moms chihuahua and hes the cutest, awesomest dog ever. I love him so much and want to steal him. Hes only got three legs so when he walks its hilarious. I told my step mom Im stealing him this time. I get to babysit him for like a week every year and it just not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Better take some video of that dog running so the ASE certified professional dog technicians can diagnose any potential future problems.

I went cat shopping today. Saw some good candidates.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That picture makes your chihuahua look an awful lot like a pomeranian

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Better take some video of that dog running so the ASE certified professional dog technicians can diagnose any potential future problems.

I went cat shopping today. Saw some good candidates.

Here you go, in all his glory!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxPVLGEhP8

He does look like a Pom cause of his super long floof hair.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So Ive been tearing the engine down and for the most part its in ok shape at best. I knew it needed new valve keepers since I got it and Im glad I got new ones this time. There are scary looking gaps in a lot of them:

My sister went to the Cape for the weekend so now Im up to two chihuahuas. They are seriously great dogs! I wish I had the time to get my own dog but it would be sitting at home all day when Im at work.

So this is where I stopped today. Motor is pretty much torn down as much as Im going to do it for the re-gasket.

Im finding a lot of lead in the nooks and crannies of the engine. It doesnt knock or smoke and its got great oil pressure so Im not sure what to think. I hope it lasts at least another year or two so I can get an LSwhatever drivetrain for it. Either a 5.3 or 6.0.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Six on the tree? :getin:

I've seriously seen five speed column shifts so I doubt that six is somehow impossible. Never managed to get any "stick time" in a column-shift car, though, as I've heard two different opinions of them, namely that they are actually easy to drive as the common 2-3 change is practically at the fingertips; or that they suck and are slow to shift. I'd guess that it probably varies from one car to another, but I'd also guess that there's a reason you don't see them much anymore.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The three on the tree is kinda sucky. It shifts fine but yea its slow and sometimes would get hung up in between gears. Id have to pop the hood to get it back into place. Ive seen those 5 on the trees in a picture somewhere, gently caress that poo poo. The floor shift is going to be so much nicer, especially with the Hurst shifter.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've driven a three on the tree a total of once and it felt surprisingly intuitive. It doesn't lend itself to the same kind of driving as a floor-mounted European-style shifter, but it's just perfect for the bench-seat-cruising style of vehicle that this truck lives for.

Agreed that floor shift is morally and technically superior, however. The linkage is way less lovely, for one thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I got the rear main seal done today. Its a 2 piece so I had to drop the crank a little to get the old one out. Before that I took a look at the timing chain. Like I said before this engine isnt long for this world. The crank and cam have been getting cozy over the years :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK6wEq5OfJw

Ill put a new timing set on it for now and see how long it will last.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is the 283 an interference motor? I thought the Gen 1 small blocks were non-interference.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Is the 283 an interference motor? I thought the Gen 1 small blocks were non-interference.

They are very much an interference motor, but how much varies based on the actual cam grind I think. The original 350 in my GMC got its heads redone sometime in the '80s or extremely early '90s because of a phenolic cam gear failure. Bottom end didn't give a gently caress but it bent quite a few valves. Of course, my dad didn't bother getting hardened seats put in, so when the heads came off in 2002 (with at most 40k miles since the head work) they were basically trashed anyway.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That same thing happened to me in my Galaxie. The phenolic timing gear stripped and it threw the chain. Luckily it was a 289 and non interference. This 283 is probably even more interference with the cam thats in there. It think its something like .477 lift. Im not sure what it had stock but the pistons are flat top too and almost even with the deck at TDC.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Put a new double roller timing chain on today and its tight so it was just chain stretch and not anything wrong with the engine. My tiny small block Chevy will live on! Also a Crane Cams double roller set was in stock and $35, haha. Gotta love cheap Chevy parts.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got the new valve keepers and valve seals in last night. The keepers still have gaps in them so I guess thats how they are supposed to look. Ive never seen that before but at least with the new ones Ill have some peace of mind. I should be able to get the heads, intake and water pump on tonight and prep it for paint. Having a mini NEAI gtg though so I dont know how much work will actually get done before everyone gets here later on.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got the engine back together and painted today.

Bonus front end shot.

I also ordered some Dynomax Ultraflows last night which should be a little bit louder. That and a MSD6AL so I dont get carried away with the rpms with all the extra gears that I'll have with the T5. Should be pretty fun when I get it back together.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got the T5 and bellhousing blasted off. My buddy is coming over tomorrow to help put the drivetrain in. If all goes well I should be able to get it measured and get the driveshaft to my driveshaft guy for shortening. Id really like to have this done for the weekend.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

A package arrived today

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're making me wish there was a much cheaper option to get a six speed behind my LS1.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're making me wish there was a much cheaper option to get a six speed behind my LS1.

Have you spoken to BoostCreep? Isn't he trying to offload a T-56?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Where Corn Chips at in all this doggy madness?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

Have you spoken to BoostCreep? Isn't he trying to offload a T-56?

He is, but if I had $3k+ to put in the truck right now it would be going into new wheels, tires, and a five lug swap... Or perhaps something to replace the damned Ranger :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

If I was just adding up the stuff for the swap and not the extras:

-T5-free from my buddy for helping with the 48
-adapter-$185 from Hot Rod Works
-Hurst shifter-$170 off ebay
-Astro van clutch disc-$120 off ebay
-old 4 speed knob-$5 at a swap meet 20 years ago
-shortened drive shaft-$100-200

So like less than $800.

Corn Chips got stolen by my great aunt who lives right next door. She fed her more than I did and now she doesnt hang around the shop anymore :(

We didnt get the drivetrain in last night but got the adapter on the trans and the flywheel and clutch on the engine. I just have to test fit it today to make sure the bearing retainer isnt too long and going to hit the pressure plate fingers. If it does I just have to cut the retainer down a little.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Almost forgot I took a picture of my friends mint 63 C10. We built a new 350 for it a few years back. New GMPP short block, all edelbrock top end.

And since Corn Chips is MIA have my inside kitty, Jessie

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Its in, off to see driveshaft guy tomorrow. I did have to take 3/4 of an inch off the bearing retainer and then they went right together.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got some good progress done today. I changed the oil and put a new y-pipe and cats on the scooby while the paint dried on the headers for the C10

Got the engine and trans bolted in and cut the floor for the shifter

The driveshaft guy called today and he was working on it. Hopefully it will be done for Monday. I cant wait to drive it, no more crappy 3 on the tree!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got the driveshaft yesterday, bought all the parts I need for the new exhaust and put a lot of the engine together today. Almost there!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Just wanted to drop in and say your trucks are sweet!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy balls that's some lovely exhaust port positioning. I guess they have to work around the pushrod tubes somehow.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

mafoose posted:

Just wanted to drop in and say your trucks are sweet!

Thanks man!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy balls that's some lovely exhaust port positioning. I guess they have to work around the pushrod tubes somehow.

Not as bad as my uncles 428, the middle exhaust ports are Siamesed. Not sure why they are like that, the pushrods are on the other side of the head.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Spark plug clearance, exhaust valve location (two valve, right? I forget, the pattern of valves down each head is probably EIIEEIIE which makes the intake manifold closer to square, taking a smaller casting) is what I'd bet on.

At least they aren't siamesed... siamesed ports are The Dumbest Thing (tm).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Weren't Ford FE motors like this? Or am I thinking of something else?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Guess what fellas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKAZNf6ZcA

Just have to tie up a few loose ends tomorrow like put in the radiator and driveshaft. I have a huge erection right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Spark plug clearance, exhaust valve location (two valve, right? I forget, the pattern of valves down each head is probably EIIEEIIE which makes the intake manifold closer to square, taking a smaller casting) is what I'd bet on.

At least they aren't siamesed... siamesed ports are The Dumbest Thing (tm).

It is EIIEEIIE like you said, but oddly enough it doesn't really shrink the intake manifold at all. It still has to cover the entire valley, and the mating surface still runs the full length of the head. Maybe made it easier to cast? It also makes the left and right sides identical.

Everyone needs at least one start with open headers after installing long tubes.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im definitely going to drive it around like that tomorrow for a while.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It is EIIEEIIE like you said, but oddly enough it doesn't really shrink the intake manifold at all. It still has to cover the entire valley, and the mating surface still runs the full length of the head. Maybe made it easier to cast? It also makes the left and right sides identical.

Everyone needs at least one start with open headers after installing long tubes.

And this is where it becomes painfully obvious that I am speaking as an engineer here, not as someone with any actual SBC experience :downs:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I got it all together but the splines on the pressure plate are hitting the hub on the clutch disc and it wont go into gear. I think I can just pull the trans out and grind down the fingers with a dremel since its soooo close.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The open header vid sounds wonderful :3:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I should post it here but I uploaded it directly to fb. Got the stuff to grind down the fingers just now, hopefully Ill be driving it tomorrow. Im so stoked.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Here is the open headers video from yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11uBeth8iiE

I ground down the fingers on the pressure plate just now and its like 80% better. Its driveable but still gear clash city. Gonna have to investigate further tomorrow. My phone mic just cant handle the noise, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh man that sounds great.

Like a perfect set of drums.