Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pac-12 2014 schedule has been finalized

god drat there are a ton of good matchups. Also UCLA's schedule looks pretty brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scarf posted:

Apparently Clemson finished first in the nation in tackles for loss :stare:

This calls for a celebration! Group hug!

Their D-line and LBs were stupid fast getting into the backfield but in the OSU game it always seemed like they did that at the risk of leaving someone waaaay the hell open in the secondary. I didn't see many of their other games though so maybe that was more of an outlier.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Presbyterian ran an amazing trick play against Wake a few years ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

god drat he sounds like such a loving moron.

his heisman acceptance speech really made me remember that there is likely no way he's actually doing any coursework in college.

Guy was a 4.0 student in high school and microphones in both instances caught him after two of the most exciting moments in his life. I'm willing to give him a little slack. I'd be speaking in tongues if I just won the national championship in a game as bonkers as that one was.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Was he? I really didn't know. I just know hearing his pregame speeches left me with a similar impression. Welp.

Yeah, dude isn't a great speaker in excited moments (granted, few of us are), and he's no Rhoades Scholar, but he's not exactly a simpering moron or anything either.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG opens @Western Kentucky (in Bowling Green, whoa...), home vs. VMI, home vs. Indiana, @Wisconsin.

Dino Babers gonna get us 700 yards in every game wooooooo :frogc00l:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alouicious posted:

This always hosed with me until I realized BG was in a completely different state :downs:

We got asked for years at OOC away games if we were from Kentucky. Ohio State was about the only place that didn't, since Bowling Green is only about 2 hours away from Columbus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In the wake of losing 4 students over winter break (along with kids being charged with loving murder and manslaughter :stare: ), Troy is drug testing every athlete and increasing frequency of random checks

E: And ACC Commish John Swofford wants to change how their conference championship game is determined

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 10, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paid attendance is the big thing. It's why sports teams of all kinds will call a game a sell-out even if there are huge chunks of empty seats.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Athletics director Dave Brandon told the Detroit News that new offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier will not make more than defensive coordinator Greg Mattison (who made $840,000 in 2013) and that the numbers being tossed around were inaccurate.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

go3 posted:

I meant literally put against the wall and shot

:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Renderings are out for the Sun Devil Stadium remodel

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

James Franklin bought an ad in the Nashville Tennessean

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sad news at Arkansas State

ESPN posted:

Arkansas State junior defensive lineman Markel Owens was one of two men killed in a shooting in Jackson, Tenn., the school confirmed Thursday.

"Our worst fears were realized as an athletics department after being notified early this morning about the unfortunate news about Markel," athletics director Terry Mohajir said in a statement. "We're deeply saddened and our utmost sympathies go out to his family, teammates and classmates."

The Jackson Sun reports three people were shot about 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, but the newspaper said police wouldn't immediately give details about the victims.

The 21-year-old Owens, a native of Jackson, Tenn., played in 11 games for the Red Wolves last season, helping Arkansas State (8-5) to at least a share of its third straight Sun Belt Conference title and a second straight win in the GoDaddy Bowl.

"Markel was a part of our Red Wolves family, and it is obvious he was a well-liked and respected member of our team who will be missed," coach Blake Anderson said in a statement. "We are doing everything possible to comfort his teammates, and we extend our compassion to his family during this difficult time."

:smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I still can't get over how amazing the top tier/BCS bowl games were this year. Some truly amazing games.

Yeah, the BCS games this year were all fantastic, and pretty much everything from New Years Eve forward was entertaining as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

our hockey team plays in a mall

Hartford Whalers been gone a while, man :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

attention being paid to MAC teams

my heart :unsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, I'm glad some of us had a good time with the fiesta bowl. ...:smith:

man, my alma mater lost the pizza bowl this year and I believe is still the victim of the worst loss in bowl history.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Korranus posted:

Apparently Jordan Lynch stunk up that East-West Shrine Game. 2 of 7 for 3 yards, and 2 picks. QB rating of -25.

BG destroyed him :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

I assume it was Saban doing the electric slide.

Yep it was

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh god that's great hahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Prices for the playoff championship are beginning to come to light and hooooooo boy

FB Scoop posted:

The cheapest premium seat through ticket and hospitality companies PrimeSports and Colonnade Group is going to run you $1,899, according to a piece today by ESPN. That seat is located in the top corner of "Jerry's World" and includes a three-hour pregame hospitality event, a full premium menu and top shelf bar, and a $50 merchandise voucher.

For those with deeper pockets looking for something a little more extravagant, the most expensive ticket will run them just under $4,000 and includes a seat in a suite between the 20-yard lines with a hospitality pass, food and bar access and post game field access to partake in the celebration. Additional options include a premium hotel package that would up the price into the $5,000 range.

If you really wanted to get fancy you could get yourself an entire suite with room for between 15-59 people with the price starting at $4,000 a head.

If you'd rather try your luck, organizers announced last week that 1,000 tickets to the championship game will be made available by random drawing to fans willing to submit their names.

Keep in mind that the big price tags are attached to "premium seating". Tickets to the Florida State vs. Auburn title game this past season were among the cheapest that a BCS title game had ever seen. The asking price for tickets spanned from $249.99 in the upper end zone bleacher seats to $2,5000 for club level seating. The average price of a ticket sold on StubHub was around $799, according to research from AL.com.

That same article pointed out that the most expensive title game of the past few years was the Auburn vs. Oregon title game in 2011 where the average price for tickets was listed at over $5,000, with most people paying just over half that at the time they ended up getting into the game ($2,750).

No one will be complaining of the new playoff system not making enough money come this time next year. If you want to go, now would be the time to start pinching pennies.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

What does:

even mean?

I think those are like the Club Level seats some stadiums/arenas have that give you access to your own concession stands and such. Basically somewhere between general admission and a suite.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what's up with melty face dude over his shoulder :stare:

ED:vvv Ha!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 21, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

The Hawaii Bowl had Mark May and Lou Holtz doing commentary. After that, everything else sounds pretty good. Except that one time Matt Millen had a mini-stroke that caused every noun to come out as "hurtin' buckaroo."

The best Matt Millen broadcast was when he and Sean McDonough poo poo all over the OSU/MSU game a few years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Want to spend 5-10 minutes reading Dave Brandon's attempts to convince himself and his fanbase that the Brady Hoke hire was totally normal and not at all desperately grasping at straws? Here you go!

also

quote:

"During that process (media members) were tracking flights, finding tail numbers, checking hotel rooms ... You can't enter a face-to-face interview with a coach (without confidentiality). You don't want to let your current employer know you're interviewing. So I had ensure confidentiality. So that required sneaking in the back door of hotels, flying empty airplanes (to random destinations), just silly stuff."

On one hand I can appreciate trolling the media and moron fans that obsessively watch FlightAware, but on the other that seems like an incredible waste of money. Especially when it's not hard at all to have a private plane taken off tracking sites.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a brutal opening 4 weeks for UVA :stare:

there's basically no way they're not 1-3 going into the Kent game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

UVA is going 1-11.

Seriously, aside from Richmond they have no guaranteed wins. Maaayyybe Kent but that's probably a toss-up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Morby posted:

So the Auburn @Kent State game may be moving to Thursday night for some reason dealing with ESPN and their schedule. The last I heard, it was still up in the air. Anybody have any more up-to-date news about it?

I'm not really sure what to make of the matchup at this point. I expect Auburn will be a more balanced team next year with Marshall having more time to work on the passing game and timing with his receivers. Should be a fun game to watch regardless.

Wait how the gently caress did Kent manage to schedule loving Auburn at home? :psyduck:

E: Oh, guessing you meant Kansas State. I was lost as poo poo there for a second. Kansas State has a bye week before the Auburn game, so maybe that's the only way they'd get it on primetime.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 23, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Morby posted:

Also, I found this really neat site where you can compare your team against the entire FBS and see where it ranks in terms of winning percentages, Heisman winners, bowl records, etc. It's super interesting.

http://www.winsipedia.com/

Oh man i'm gonna be lost in this all night. That's a very loving cool find.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ohio State owns a 1-0-0 record against the Dayton YMCA, and Ohio 17th Regiment, but are only 1-1-0 against Iowa Navy Pre-Flight

what

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric Legrand graduated yesterday :unsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Rutgers/Maryland games should count as honorary MACtion.

gently caress that, we don't want 'em

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Spencer Hall ‏@edsbs 1h
Winter Storm name lists that don't include "Krampus" and "Netscape" can go right to hell: http://www.sbnation.com/2014/1/24/5341426/winter-storm-names-guide

The Weather Channel ‏@weatherchannel 8m
@edsbs It's like you called us the Muschamp of naming winter storms :(

Spencer Hall ‏@edsbs 5m
.@GatorZoneFB Even the Weather Channel is clowning your rear end. DO SOMETHING COMPETENTLY SOON PLEASE.

:drat:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Hey, what a surprise, a school hid the rape of a young girl because the accused that were involved were playing a certain sport while her swim coach and AD essentially took an already fragile psyche and pushed it to suicide when he more or less kicked her off the team and the AD forced her to sign withdrawal forms she didn't need to sign.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10323102/university-missouri-officials-did-not-pursue-rape-case-lines-investigation-finds

Get hosed, Mizzou.

Jesus christ that's terrible :(

Unrelated, Clayton Nicholas has transferred from Texas Tech to BG, he'll be eligible to play the 2015 season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Why are so many quarterbacks leaving Tech?

because Dino Babers fuckin' owns :cool:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

no one pays attention to who the bowling green defensive coordinator is either

:mad:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Former Michigan and West Virginia strength and conditioning coordinator Mike Barwis runs a training center in SE Michigan now and got a high school hockey player who was paralyzed from the waist down to move his leg on his own.

Barwis is the raddest loving guy.

Didn't he help some Michigan player (or maybe recruit who never played, I can't remember) manage to go from paralyzed in a car crash to walking for his wedding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

That would be Brock Mealer, brother of former Michigan center Elliott Mealer. Mike Barwis is phenomenal dude.

There ya go. That was an awesome story. :unsmith:

• Locked thread