Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

swickles posted:

So is the Fulmer Cup happening or has it been retired because of a rape scandal at Vandy of all places.

I thought I saw Spencer make a tweet about how he's got an article coming for the new Cup year but I might have been hallucinating or mashing together random posts and tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

wtftastic posted:

Since we're all doing it, here's the 2014 schedule for University of Virginia (2-10 this year, ACC).

Aug. 30 UCLA
Sept. 6 Richmond
Sept. 20 at BYU
Sept. 27 Kent State
TBA at Florida State
TBA at Duke
TBA at Georgia Tech
TBA Louisville
TBA Miami
TBA North Carolina
TBA Pittsburgh
TBA at Virginia Tech

This team was 4-8 last year, 2-10 this year, and we have UCLA, FSU, and Louisville, all definite losses unless Mike London is magically competent. No idea how good Kent State is, but given that we lost to Ball State, I'll just go ahead and assume a loss. So, already, that's 4 losses. I'll assume a loss to Duke unless David Cutcliff is assumed into football heaven, a loss to VT. Maybe wins against Pitt, GT, Richmond, and BYU? Maybe Miami and UNC (but unlikely).

At most this team is likely to go 6-6. If, continuing this year's stellar performance, we lose to GT, Pitt, Miami, and UNC, that'll be 2-10 again.

haha i hate myself and I have season tickets and people are starting to be like "no I'd rather not go, they'll just lose".

You might beat Kent State and not win for the rest of the year. 2-4 wins max, I think, but the bonus is you get to fire London.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

And mysteriously released, too.

Welcome to the SEC, Mizzou!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

limeincoke posted:

When you get arrested you're required by law to see a judge within 24 hours or all charges are dropped. He wasn't "mysteriously released", he most likely just posted his $100 bail.

Or it's more that he was arrested and shortly after the record of his arrest no longer exists.

But I wasn't being serious about any of it. For one, it's weed and the other part is no, really, SEC.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 11, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Huh, I didn't know they were every mile.

Now you're going to start to wonder what else you're missing that's right in front of you in this world.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I don't think there is a good solution for that. On one hand you want the athletes to have as much flexibility as possible. But on the other hand you don't want to allow it to turn into a complete free agent market.

I think a good start would be to make scholarships a 5 year commitment (or 2/3 years for Juco guys) from the school where the only reasons they could get pulled would be if a guy is failing out or if it was transferred to a medical hardship scholarship.

Nah, 5 year stuff is a whole can of worms nobody wants to open. Yearly is how it should be.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The reason 4 year scholarships are a bad idea is because a 19 year old who doesn't like you can instantly sandbag you, become a cancer and destroy team chemistry all because he didn't like something all the while knowing he's locked in for the next however many years and there's nothing you can do about it. This could be especially bad when new coaches are hired.

I disagree with how some schools process kids but you've got to be able to cut the fat at points. Even Saint Frank processes kids but he at least ends up giving them the choice in the end(option A being to transfer, option B being enjoy scout team forever) but it still needs to be done, sometimes kids need to be shown that maybe they're not on a certain level but that they need to find where they can succeed and go be happy doing that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Gus Malzahn won the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year award. I believe all five men who have coached Auburn in the time that award has existed have won it, while ironically no Alabama coach has.

I'd be really shocked if Stallings didn't win it in '92, pretty sure he won everything that year.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Morby posted:

This play will never get old for me. Never.

It's on the level of the Hail Mary or the Play. For all of Bama's storied history they're going to have to live with seeing that play every season and every Iron Bowl for the rest of time.

That play changed football and how it's played. You might be hard pressed to see a return from a FG again(already rare) because every coach that tries something similar will at one point go "holy poo poo don't let that happen" and adjust how he does such an attempt. When they practice long FG kicks at practice now they're going to stress not just sitting there and admiring it but moving down the field to cut off a return.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Thoguh posted:

That's a little over the top. That play did not change football or how it is played in the least. Being able to return a short field goal is nothing new and the only thing special about that play was that it was done as time expired. Malzahn putting a guy back there was smart coaching, but that play being successful was more a complete failure on the Alabama players part to realize the ball was still live, and on Sabin's part to have nobody in there capable of chasing a guy down if the kick was short. There was nothing remotely revolutionary about it.

The play is so famous/infamous that it will absolutely affect how coaches approach a similar situation. Alabama's failure on that play is exactly how it will be affected. Saban loaded up a bunch of fat guys who made the initial block and stood by to watch it and you're simply not going to see that in the future because coaches will be too aware of the play to risk repeating it. They'll make sure they have speed on the field and they'll make sure their guys know to make the block and hustle down the field to prevent a return.

As someone else said it might flat out affect whether or not a coach wants to even kick the FG in a situation like that if they don't think it's a realistic option.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Holy poo poo you make it easy to cheer for Urban, James.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I mean, I knew winning 10 in a row against UVA was the record for the Commonwealth Cup but I had no idea how lopsided it's been since basically our parent's were born.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

nm

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

SmellsLikeToast posted:

Thursdays nights are for laughing at the ACC, dude.

*loses to Clemson*

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Hey, what a surprise, a school hid the rape of a young girl because the accused that were involved were playing a certain sport while her swim coach and AD essentially took an already fragile psyche and pushed it to suicide when he more or less kicked her off the team and the AD forced her to sign withdrawal forms she didn't need to sign.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10323102/university-missouri-officials-did-not-pursue-rape-case-lines-investigation-finds

Get hosed, Mizzou.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 24, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

Have fun hiring Tubs in 2 years when Beamer retires out of frustration.

NCAA Coaching Carousel 2014 - Literally everyone is bad at their jobs

nopants posted:

Here is what MU had to say in response. This is the exchange when OTL sent MU an e-mail this morning that they were about to run the piece.

http://www.mutigers.com/genrel/012414-otl-exchange.html

I like how this totally brushes aside the steps the AD and her swim coach took to remove her from the one thing that kept stability in her life and that the reasons for both actions were complete bullshit.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 25, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ron Zook is Uncle Rico and I can't stop laughing at the ridiculousness of this picture.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Alabama

:allears:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

It'll probably be some DII or DIII kid but that's still awesome and I hope it encourages more kids to do the same.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

It's Mexico City, not Japan. Morgantown is farther away from Austin than Mexico City is

You don't have to use distance to justify not wanting to go to Morgantown.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

Not a good idea, the Stanford band would probably spell 'Free Tibet' on the field and bad bad things would happen.

Is 200,000 angry Chinese people beating the Stanford band to death with their own instruments a bad thing?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

DJExile posted:

I know student-run papers do have some decent legitimacy to them, but what possible good does Brandon think will come from locking them out? They're just a student paper.

It's not to take away from the good reporting they did, but holy crap it's just a student paper. Let them in and let them do their thing.

More to the point barring actual libel being written you're never, ever going to win the PR front by locking out a student paper. You look like assholes and students are not only the last group of people you want to piss off at a college but also the quickest to anger.

All this is on the surface is the big, bad AD protecting mighty football because students reported on a rape and man, the school looks just awful in virtually every light here.

This is all just borderline house-cleaning territory to me. If you guys are due to get a new president that's just good timing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

You can actually age the posters in here by how jaded they are to their school.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Just so awesome.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Someone name their kid Thick McRunfast or Big McLargehuge and sit back as those NFL dollars come rolling in.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Alabama, folks.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Aren't these still proposals to be voted on and not official rules?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Raku posted:

Auburn :mad:

Referring more to the residents of an awful, awful state.

I'm halfway serious but cmon, I think that state has some issues with its residents and how college football affects them.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

VT's mascot was on the way to the basketball game tonight and was strolling through one of the main quads. Blacksburg just got 20 inches of snow so of course this happened.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

ntd posted:

Also, according to Wikipedia, Saban avoided being at the Kent State shootings because he decided to grab lunch first.

Is Nick Saban winning national titles because he got hungry or is that Wiki fluff bullshit?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

He and Gary Pinkel were both students at Kent State during that time, and I've seen articles where Saban is interviewed about the Kent State massacre. It's a real thing that happened; Saban mentions it in those.

EDIT: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2010-05-03-kent-state-shooting-anniversary_N.htm

I'm not doubting that it just seems like fluff. Was his daily stroll across campus during that time of the day and in the area of the shootings or was he just around the area? Like Seth Macfarlane missing his flight on 9/11(Flight 11) because he was hungover is the "hand of God" type stuff I think of not really Saban just being within a 10 mile radius of the shootings and people making it seem like his growling stomach kept him from catching a bullet.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Nick Saban, shown here unsure if it's just gas or potentially diarrhea.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

Wanting to watch how real teams play football instead of the abortion that is full on triple option :v:

My favorite part of the TO is watching the full range of emotions those fans experience. First few years they're racking up outrageous numbers, scoring point totals they've rarely seen, and generally just having a blast watching their team be more of a threat than in recent years. Then comes the following years where their winning levels off as teams learn how to defend the offense better and doubt starts creeping into their heads about just how long they can keep it going. Shortly after they see the glass ceiling of that offense and eventually just want it gone so they can get back to something that can give them the ability to succeed consistently on a higher level of play.

Fairly universal experience, I think, it works on a high school or college level.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 18, 2014

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

This always devolves into "why don't ____ form their own thing" which makes me wonder if people are dumb or not to think that a new organization won't just be filled to the brim with either the same bullshit the NCAA had or a brand new kind of bullshit we hadn't thought of yet.

I'm sure we won't know until we try but I can so easily imagine a world where our kid's kids sit on a message board complaining about how the current governing body of college athletics is dumb/wrong/antiquated and that a change should be made.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I've actually come to good terms with noon games. I'm not a morning person so getting up at 7 to be somewhere by 9 on my day off is not a particular joy but I get to watch my team and be home(or at someone's home waiting for traffic) early and then get to catch most of the 3:30 games and all of the night games. I usually miss very few quality games and I also get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Man, I sound so old. :(

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Alabama should be forced to pay a penalty for hiring Mike Groh.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I'd respect him a lot more if he just said "I'm a whiny goober dumbass don't pay attention to what I say."

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I think the big question now is how do we get Bob Jones University and Liberty University to play in that bowl.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I hope Mack posts a selfie where he's sitting on a set of stairs on campus holding Walden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Counting ties as wins seems like a very Aggie thing to do, FSU.

• Locked thread