Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I love how ESPN and most media outlets have Nebraska as their Big Ten East (West?) favorite for next year, yet ESPN then ranks Iowa/Wisconsin above them in a preseason poll in the next article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

regulargonzalez posted:

Is he the top returning rusher? You know, he's really been a guy that's kind of flown under the radar; he'll almost certainly finish his career (barring injury) as the second all time leading rusher at Nebraska which is a pretty big accomplishment given the history here.
Might be too small / too fumble prone to ever do much in the NFL but when he's completely healthy he's a heck of a running back.

I find it amazing that Nebraska had a backfield comprised of the top producing QB in it's history, the second leader rusher, and Rex Burkhead, and wasn't able to accomplish anything. Maybe it was because when Abdullah and Martinez were on the field at the same time there was a 118% chance of a fumble.

Still, having a somehow completely under the radar 1700 yard rushing running back returning is good news.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
On Oregon vs MSU.

Anytime I've ever seen MSU playing a run-first spread team their defense looks positively pedestrian. Against Nebraska in 2012 and OSU this year it just seems like the D-coordinator doesn't care about using spies and just let's the QB run wherever they want. They really get hit hard by any kind of misdirection and I don't think they're going to do quite as well vs Oregon's offense as Stanford always does.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Crotch Bat posted:

And mysteriously released, too.

Welcome to the SEC, Mizzou!

When you get arrested you're required by law to see a judge within 24 hours or all charges are dropped. He wasn't "mysteriously released", he most likely just posted his $100 bail.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Crotch Bat posted:

Or it's more that he was arrested and shortly after the record of his arrest no longer exists.

But I wasn't being serious about any of it. For one, it's weed and the other part is no, really, SEC.

Oh ok. But still, concept still stands. He probably saw the judge who determined he did nothing wrong and dropped the charges. People get falsely arrested all the time and get the charges dropped as soon as they step in front of the judge. Let's not assume he's guilty until proven innocent because of SEC.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
11:30 games are awesome. Wake up, have breakfast, watch the game. When my game is on at 3;30 or at night it just wastes my whole Saturday as I refuse to start any projects or do anything remotely productive that might accidentally cause me to miss any of the game. I just sit at home. Waiting.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Stealing 30 + dollars is only a citation? Here in iowa I don't even think that's an option. It's 5th degree theft or nothin. Or is an option everywhere and Jameis is getting preferential treatment?

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Lady I just bought 3 jugs of protein that Target hosed up and labeled at 5 bucks instead of 25, sorry.

brown

Did this actually happen? Because you just made me so so jealous.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah I can safely say that military service of any kind stretches the definition of what's "gay." I mean, outside of the dorms/barracks you live in, every shower you take is a group one with 5 + other guys and no stall dividers. I can safely say that I've seen way more penis's in my life than I'll ever see tits. Also when it's cold and you're in the field sleeping really close to a guy suddenly becomes not "gay." You don't even really notice it after like, the first week of basic training.

It is still weird that the cadets embrace this though, since they don't have to undergo any of the hardships that make these close personal male relationships necessary.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I want every school in the nation to set up arbitrary rules for when they were actually the National Champions. I want recruits to wonder why every school they go to won the 1993 National Championship.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
"Your honor! I realize that our client had drugs on him -now-. But he tested clean a month ago! You must acquit!"

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

The-Mole posted:

Some dude not getting railroaded for simple possession sure is a travesty and an obvious sign of rampant local corruption.

Oh I agree. No one should get in trouble for weed unless they're growing like, metric fucktons of it. But the defense they're using is funny.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Texas really mugshots people for 5th degree theft? In Iowa they just cite you and go. Also yeah that wall of shame thing is BS.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
2007 was the year that Nebraska routinely scored 50 points and lost, so there's that. It was a pretty depressing year.

Nebraska (4-6) 39
8 Kansas (9-0) 76

Kansas State (5-5) 31
Nebraska (5-6) 73

Nebraska (5-7) 51
Colorado (6-6) 65

Three consecutive weeks.

limeincoke fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 21, 2014

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

quote:

"You know the (Denver) Broncos' throwback unis? The yellow and the diarrhea brown? I would put us in something so ridiculous and ugly," Bell said. "That'd be fun. It would have nothing to do with our school. I'd put the Bugeaters on our helmet. People would freak out and be mad for no reason. Wouldn't that be fun if we came out in light purple with yellow socks. That would be fantastic."

I really wish Kenny Bell (Nebraska) would have been in charge of their alternates this year. He understands what it is to be an awesome troll.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

wtftastic posted:

"I still have a job after I dared them to fire me" maybe that's why?

Has there ever been another major coach who just flat out said "Fire me or STFU about it." ? Cause that's so drat ballsy and a great way to get people to actually shut up.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Nebraska already has 3 defensive starters and the 2nd running back injured and out for the season. Jesus christ. It's only been like, 4 practices.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah Nebraska's is pretty big, and despite having amazing season ticket seats I always regret going to games. Watching replays of plays on it is just a constant reminder that TV angles and HD is always going to be better than trying to guess what happened.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

MourningView posted:

Depending on where you sit I like the view at games a lot better. I tend to sit in the endzones so I can actually see where everyone is and watch the play develop, which isn't an angle you get on TV very much. It does suck to not have replay though. Replay at Iowa games is awful.

I went to Iowa's stadium once a couple years ago vs Nebraska (my GF has family that tailgate there). Beyond having a video board smaller than most high school's, it was also the worst audio system I've ever heard. They need to invest like, 500 bucks for a new Vizio upgrade or something.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

MourningView posted:

I don't think most high schools have video boards! It wasn't very big though. They put in a new one last year (or maybe two years ago, but recently) that's a little bit better. It's not comically huge like the Texas one but you can see it from the whole stadium, which seems like all you really need.

I never really had a big issue with sound, so I dunno. If anything it could be too loud at times.

Yeah I was exaggerating a little bit. And maybe I went before the new board. But my issue with the sound wasn't the loudness, it was how distorted and unclear it was. Maybe it's because the stadium is so low and open that the sound simply escapes? I don't know.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Chump Farts posted:

Do they have the depth to recover, or is this the year Bo fails to hit 9 wins?

Eh kinda. 2 of them were DB's, which Nebraska is (was) really deep at. Shouldn't be too much drop off even though 1 of them was the best coverage safety according to insiders, though another injury would kill um. The third guy on defense was a Mike LB who was splitting snaps at number 1. The RB broke his ankle I believe, which I'm assuming means he'll be back mid-season? I don't recall broken ankles having too much of a downtime. Besides that, yeah, Nebraska is deep as hell at RB. They return 1700 yard rusher Ameer Abdullah and behind him is still a couple guys that are more than good enough.

So as of now, it's not the end of the world. But another couple injuries could spell doom. The secondary will have to count on what's probably gonna be a defensive line almost as good as when Suh and Crick were there in 09 to put pressure on QB's.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Grittybeard posted:

If this only happened once I'd be a little surprised. Baylor was bad for a long time and Nebraska was really good at the beginning of the Big 12, and they're known for that type of thing. Baylor's a lot farther away but this happened every other year to K State for like 50 years.

Yeah that was Nebraska's thing for awhile. See the 2001 Notre Dame game where over half the stadium was red (it was in South Bend).

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Yeah, pretty sure that was the year Eric crouch made the Big XII his bitch. NU had like four players run for over 100 yards. Pretty sure that was also the game where Steele punted on third down... Yeah.

I was in the Chamber, so was on the field for that one and it was beyond depressing.

There were lots worse games, though. UAB, @UNT, army, man, so many terrible games.

Quick edit: yeah, found the stats for that NU game, ugly.: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores101/101286/101286354.htm

That's the dumbest statline I've ever seen. Nebraska fumbled 7 times, rushed for 650 yards, threw for 48, and won 48-7. drat I forgot how bad Baylor used to be.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

buddhanc posted:

I'm hoping this guy can bring Texas to the strength and conditioning promised land and do away with the simple injuries that Wiley couldn't seem to contain.

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/ncaaf/2012/09/26/1594185/

That guy looks like a bigger Terrell Owens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

KKKLIP ART posted:

Kids today have no cartography skills. Actually planning with a road map is a skill that will be forever lost on the youth of tomorrow.

I learned how to navigate and do advanced map reading/location skills in the Army. So far I've never needed to use it outside of Expert Infantry Testing. That skill is not necessary and no one is going to lament its loss.

Well, unless you do multi-day hiking in locations that don't get service. In that case you should take at least a 30 minute long course on how to determine azimuth and walk a straight line to civilization with a compass.

• Locked thread