Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Weird mix of Jack the Ripper and Professor Layton here; anyone who's played the first Layton would remember a knight's tour and an n-queens puzzle. Have the Holmes games had increasingly prominent use of puzzle games as the series goes on? I've only played the Cthulhu one - which is almost entirely a straightforward adventure game to my memory - and part of the Jack the Ripper one, where I gave up after this absurd bullshit:

Yeah, it's not even a puzzle, you're expected to go look it up on Wikipedia. That chest isn't even physically possible!

I was pretty amazed Jeff and Ryan got through the chess puzzles in the Quick Look on Giant Bomb. Usually watching them tackle a puzzle is infuriating, but they figured them out pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

My current theory: Sherlock did steal the necklace, and the reason is connected to whatever he took from the bishop's chest. For that matter, don't we only have his word for it that he had an appointment with the bishop to begin with? Maybe, when he saw the necklace, he realized he needed to get to the bishop as swiftly as would not arouse suspicion... but someone beat him there...

I don't see how he could have had it created in time, or why he would have had a shoddy copy made. I think the dude or his daughter stole it themselves in order to deprive him of a dowry, because they don't want the marriage to go through, or they need to hock the necklace for cash. But I'm kind of gaming this - the only two elements to have one mention are the marriage/dowry and the paper work, which means they're the most important ones.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

oldskool posted:

Yeah it's broken.

I'm not really sure what the point of that cutscene was.
"Is this from you?"
"Yep. Literally any doctor I work for had opportunity and motive to steal this. Happens all the time."

So....what did we narrow down, exactly?

Absolutely nothing, which makes it a good thing to have in an investigation story. It's not so much a red herring - those are more there to trick you into thinking it's important when it turns out to be completely irrelevant. This is an organic detail you'd note in an investigation that leads to a dead end. Or it is of help, but you missed something vital about it. Like Holmes should really be asking about who the doctor thinks could be selling stuff on the side, to at least have a list of names to possibly correlate later with a suspect.

I can't see much of a market for a scalpel - they're good knives, but they're expensive and have limited use. A GIS on "1900 scalpel" got me this pretty set:

http://ancientpoint.com/inf/112392-antique_weiss_london_silver_scalpel_set_1900.html

I expect they all had holding boxes like that to protect them. Other sets I've seen have been just as fancy. So I think they were much more valuable than the game developers thought and would be treasures for the doctors who had them.

• Locked thread