Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Rhonne posted:

Are video games good or bad?
Yes.

Glad we settled this, now we have all of 2014 to spend in productive discussion.

In actual "videogames are good" related news, MGSRising just unlocked

It's a kojima production / metal gear game alright.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
What about the various versions of animated podcast segments, those are basically classics too. Not sure if they belong in the OP.

What's the name of the short stream excerpt that edits Drew and Alexis with moody romance music?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Classic involving Rorie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uxHZ5L0thA

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 9, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

The Kins posted:

Sort of related: Brad Muir's now the host of Idle Thumbs' Dota podcast. You know, in case just one Dota-obsessed Brad wasn't enough. :v:
Wait, does this actually count as fulfilling Sean's new years resolution to resurrect the Dota 2 cast if Muir is hosting?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Wasn't Brink the game that had a great and interesting concept but the implementation (horrible bugs and mind-boggling design/balancing details) killed the playerbase off in a couple of months? And the so called "single player campaign" was just the multiplayer maps with godawful ai bots?

Not sure what killed APB, but i guess the gulf between "fantastic idea/concept" and "fantastic game" houses thousands of titles, so giving pity points for the former is getting a bit old for me.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I hate to engage with this because I know people in this thread especially think I talk too much about being a *professional* but I'll give you one jokey answer and one proper answer.

BRINK: I worked on Enemy Territory: Quake Wars from a balance perspective but left the studio before shipping. Everyone else on the production tester team stayed on and worked on Brink. I'm not saying my involvement would have single handedly saved Brink's balance, but im saying I could have single handedly saved the balancing in Brink. Mostly because I'm a griefing oval office. :colbert:

APB: APB failed because it was based on an engine not designed to do what we were asking it to do, it's combat mechanics/controls were 10 years out of date, there was no real content in the game and the main decision makers were used to working on fantasy MMOs.
No, i appreciate the perspective (when people don't get paid for broadcasting it). Funny thing about Brink, before the game launched some dev i played with years ago described this amazing system that would let them adjust balancing weapons and skills without having to patch the main game (which was a big headache on consoles) just via small xml payloads, so they could do it weekly or faster. Apparently that didn't work out since the game went months without a balancing patch - i guess because they were too busy focusing on putting out the fires caused by the "this game crashes on every ATI card out there" issue. :(

cmykjester posted:

Someone please link brad and Vinny the chipcheezum how to play MGR video so they don't have a miserable time through the game :(
It's seriously required viewing, they shouldve put that in place of the half dozen startup videos.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Yodzilla posted:

Did anyone post about how Elder Scrolls Online is going to be a $60 game + $15/month subscription + a cash shop because :aslol:
You know it's quality when they put these in their heavily edited and scripted partially-cgi trailer

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's every Elder Scrolls game though.
The entire point was that the "you're this world's sole savior" shtick falls completely apart when combined with quest hubs and people standing in queue for quest givers and objectives.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 10, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Vinny? What a dishonorable cheater, i don't get how anyone can like this guy

hes not taking games seriously at all!!!! !

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

The Dark Id posted:

Justin McElroy is human garbage.
Please don't insult refuse like that, it still has plenty of uses and value and can be redeemed with recycling and doesn't deserve such a comparison.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Apparently the Directors Cut PC version is a horribly botched port with awful color desaturation and a few other shortcomings compared to the original vanilla console version. I've heard people who absolutely love the original game advice others to stay far away from that version.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

The Ouya, Sim City and Xbone gave us the best gaming experiences of 2013 without having to spend a dime.
And thanks to idiots they probably were all profitable enough to get more sequels/dlc.

Unlike, say, bulletstorm.

Swagger Dagger posted:

At least modders can do it now without getting banned from Origin
Nah they're still going to get banned for potentially infringing on their dlc rights.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 13, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Load our last souls lives on :yaycloud:
He still has his charity stream promise to fulfill.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm just saying, if someone has that much of a problem with rape imagery and symbolism, perhaps the vampire genre isn't for them, as it's the basis of the entire thing. Like all folk legends and stuff the moral can be brought down to one short sentence. In the case of vampires "Hey, don't go out at night and maybe lock your house up so some creepy pale guy doesn't sneak in and rape and murder you."
It's funny how that eventually got turned into "yeah there's the flair of forbidden and erotic and also you get eternal life out of it" and then into "yeah but now your horrible social skills and insecurities are forgiven and you also sparkle during the day".

Although this evolution of themes over time illustrates that registering and acknowledging varying context matters. You know, stuff videogame and review writers really know how to handle well.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Fallom posted:

iOS gaming has become loving gross.

It's like 99% of the games come paired with some slimy used car salesman.
What do android games come paired with then? A drunk nazi drug dealer and his rabid killer wolves?

I've tried multiple times to find some enjoyable, non-sleazy game for my mobile devices but it's either a lovely knockoff or a terrible ad game or completely cancerous with microtransactions or all 3. I guess this is what the early "just pump out poo poo every day, these fools are buying everything" market before the industry crash must've felt like?

It's like a less adorable, more repugnant XBLIG store.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 14, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

You would be shocked as to how much time, energy and thought is put into even 'casual crap' on mobile devices.
I'm disappointed to hear they're not even efficient, although i do occasionally wonder what the investment split between the actual game and the psychological techniques leashed to the business model strapped onto it is.

I get that subtly exploiting compulsive behaviors makes a thousand times more money than anything else (i bet anime trading card games sound really good to investors right now) so it's the logical design goal if it puts food on your table, but that doesn't make me find it any less revolting from the user side. It's the familiar "why the hell should i care?" concept.

Fallom posted:

A guy who secretly plants a GPS tracker on you.
... but only because his "exploding collar" delivery is late.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 14, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

cheesetriangles posted:

Are we not going to get a quick look of Broken Age because of some embargo when I can probably go to twitch or youtube and find a bunch of videos?
I just played 3 hours of it and was incredibly surprised how gorgeous and awesome it was. Maybe i had low expectations going in, but now i wish it'd never end. It's got a lot of that double fine writing and charm i've missed since Psychonauts.

And i disliked every point & click "adventure" i've tried (excluding Ben There Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please) in the last decade.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 15, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Dork457 posted:

What's up with the Quick Look of 3089? The game seems positively awful, did this game have any kind of cult following that prompted them to cover it, or have releases really dried up?
Playing random horrible games gave us the Motorbike quick look so the "nothing comes out until end of february" dry spell might end up being a blessing in disguise. And hey, probably means more Nidhogg on UPF!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

cheesetriangles posted:

Oh god I was right this is going to be fantastic. I hope we get lots of brad tears. :cry:
Imagine if it was him playing Revengeance on very hard. There'd be tears alright.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

uPen posted:

Demons souls isonly available on PS3.
I'd be all over it if it wasn't for this so yeah

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Holy poo poo

they took that joke and delivered 1010% percent

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just able to catch up on the Demon Souls but it's pretty drat solid so far. "Breaking Brad" is clearly false advertising (but i dig it because that gimmick is not my cup of tea anyway).

Also for me it's very rarely the actual "bad playing" but more the player's associated unfortunate reactions (anger, deflection, complaining/whining) that detracts from the viewing experience.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Brad for real watch the fzero gx speed run. That man was not human.

Goes to everyone else here as well.
I did, good stuff, thanks. Is there a list of runs with associated twitch archive links or do i have to scrub through the 12 hour segments myself?

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 16, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Another Person posted:

I have failed the thread by providing a Kotaku link. I am shamed. It shall go on my record like a red mark.
I'm yelling at you for committing this horrible crime against posting culture

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blister posted:

Brad needs to grow some Demon Souls balls and go for it sometimes or this is going to be a boring as gently caress breaking brad, he spent so more time running far far away from enemies to "make choke points" or let his general anxiety cause him to freeze when faced with more than one path. He even knows about the souls games and how much of the game is literally trial and error usually resulting in death
guys Brad is playing this game WRONG by not loving dying enough, because stupid "trial and error" suicides are the only way to play this game correctly like i want him to

You have to be kidding me

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Hakkesshu posted:

Also "Next Car Game" is Bugbear's failed Kickstarter game. They should really come up with an actual name there.

E: f, b
The name is great, any details why it failed the kickstarter?

I've spent a few hours wrapping metal around other metal in beamng's softbody cartech alpha "drive" and the realistic wheel/engine simulation means that a single proper knock against a wheel or crucial engine part can stop you dead.

Which probably wouldn't play so well in bugbear's games so i'm curious how those products compare.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jimbot posted:

Patrick learned early, circle-strafe is the key to victory in Dark Souls.
It's the lead up to Dark Souls ultimate strategy: Punch the boss in the butt

Also he's getting salty after getting group-hugged by Nito's crew a couple of times. :allears: To be fair, he has the stats and equipment and is getting the run-up down, he just needs to manage the number of skellies, no problem.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 19, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

StarkRavingMad posted:

He finally bulldozed him. Patrick continues to be good at Dark Souls.
He did OnS (without rite of kindling?), Tomb of Giants and Nito in one sitting? Dang. Nicely done.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

This is my favourite post.
The whole succinct 2 sentence one-two punch really makes it stand above the rest.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

uPen posted:

Patrick what is happening to you. :ohdear:
Vinny already went hollow when he murdered the Fair Lady and Dusk of Oolacile, so it was only a question of time...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

toasterwarrior posted:

Pretty sure there was, but one thing I noticed is that when it comes to Japanese developers and questionable stuff, most critics will sound off but in a way like they've resigned to the notion that it's about par for the course for games coming from that part of the world and they know they won't make a difference.
Well that crap is basically terrible sci fi anime, so yeah the obnoxious fanservice and brain-dead writing is sadly just a part of the package (and occasionally, a major selling point?) i guess? I can't stand that stuff and think it's worth calling out, although on some level it feels similar to calling shooters out for glorifying war, violence and killing. A reasonable, important argument completely trivialized by the fact that some awful crap is popular and sells.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 20, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Mordiceius posted:

Is it wrong that I love every time Patrick does something that brings out internet rage in people? I love the articles that bring MRAs out of the woodwork.
Anything resembling "being a reasonable decent human being" brings out internet meltdown rage in dumb racist nerds, it's ignoring the flood of sewage afterwards that's the real challenge.

Which he obviously can, so more power to you, scoops. :)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Propaganda Hour posted:

Patrick is level 85? Holy poo poo. First time I beat the game I was mid 40s
Was that a deliberate restriction on your part? Usually people are 50+ when they beat O&S.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Who buys strategy guides anyway, grandmas who've never heard of a wiki? Or the people copying stuff into a wiki?

I hope the job application test for the VAs was and is just "okay, gives us your best sinister 'Heh Heh Heh Heh'".

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 21, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I don't have a problem avoiding Dark Souls 2 online info (unless people go 'Patches Dies On Page 2932' drive-by spoiler which i can't imagine) but i think i'll skip a few bombcasts if they jump into the game before i get my hands on it, just in case Brad is his usual self.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Wiseblood posted:

I'm surprised. Usually that stairwell is covered in "Need ring" messages.
He might be playing offline in order to avoid zealous assholes trying to invade? e: actually just remembered his tweet indicating otherwise. So i'll just go with "GFWL is a piece of poo poo".

But yeah, that's a classic 4 kings move.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 21, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Binman88 hits patrick where it really hurts.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Another Person posted:

I'm just not sure it will meet the expectations set for it. Not sure everyone will be happy for that. It certainly won't 'revolutionise' minds like 1 did, because that revolution already happened in their mind when they played 1. 2 cannot reproduce that effect in the same way.
Who the hell expects that? That's a ridiculous expectation to have of anything.

quote:

I imagine it will be more of the same as 1, just as he transition from Demon Souls to Dark Souls went.
See, this is what i'm hoping for. Dark Souls 2 has some pretty big shoes to fill, i'm sure if it lives up to that and doesn't horribly gently caress up in some other way fans will get exactly what they want.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Fallom posted:

I'm loving Patrick and all but yeah, the rest of the crew needs to get stuff out there. Not all of it needs to be super well produced, stuff like I Love Mondays was often done with an iPhone and was something people looked forward to.
Just sit Vinny/Jeff in front of anything. Could be them reading a phonebook, they'd make it entertaining somehow.

Last year's january we watched him click download buttons for EuroTruck mods, nobody cared what was released that week.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 21, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

EDIT: Matt just confirmed the best news.

I look forward to more pathfinder as well, but i really know better than to read "hopefully soon" as "confirmed best news". Pathfinder has been "hopefully soon (as we get the crew together)" since day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Mu Zeta posted:

I would watch it if this happened.
That starcraft 2 show match was the best esports i've ever seen

• Locked thread