Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The worst moment in Uncharted 2 for me was the bullet sponge on the train. You pour bullets into him for a while and then he dies in a cutscene to one shot from the pistol of your companion. It was really awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'd love to see more Thumbs streams of Kerbal. I've tried to watch others but they just aren't especially entertaining.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Crowbear posted:

That Thumbs stream was amazing. The climax set to Space rear end in a top hat was one of the best moments of last year.

Toss up between that and the Crusader Kings II "Tragedy of Ragnar."

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
That's cool and everything but next to the insanity that was the infinite loop in the PS4(?) Launch Stream it's NOTHING.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I've been watching Patrick's Dark Souls videos all day while doing this bullshit work thing and I'm on part 9 and he is nearing the end of Anor Lando. I'm just curious if he ever manages to revive his Fire Keeper? I was a little sad that he didn't get the message about the orb vibrating.

edit: looks like maybe he's figuring it out so nevermind.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 10, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I thought it was a little weird that it wasn't Brad's footage. I don't know why that makes a difference to me. Jeff's first Titanfall video was actually of him playing and that felt better to me. For an RPG like South Park though I guess it doesn't matter all that much. Was just odd when he said he didn't pick the Jew class and then in the video the guy did. I only watched about half the video because I'm buying it for sure.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 16, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
RNG Plays Pokemon is strangely hypnotic

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I listened to the entire GOTY deliberation stuff without feeling like Last Of Us was spoiled for me. The few seconds I heard before I could skip past it in this episode was a pretty big spoiler though :(.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
My launch PS3 died and I haven't replaced it yet. I would have played it!

edit: And I still will play it eventually. I'm not that bummed out about the spoiler I heard. Spoilers don't generally ruin things for me. It's about the JOURNEY or whatever.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

flatluigi posted:

There's a really good LP of The Last of Us by Geop if you want to watch that if (like me) the main thing stopping you is lacking a PS3: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575148

I checked Youtube for a Last Of Us LP once and accidentally learned what PewDiePie is. "This one has a lot of views so it's probably pretty good!" I thought.

:(

I couldn't take him for more than a minute or so. Thanks for the recommendation for a worthwhile LP is what I'm saying.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That, everything with the MGS4 gun dealer and his sick rear end monkey, and Para Medic's adorable sperging about movies and kaiju and poo poo were some of the best things in videogames period.

I love the MGS series, it's one of my favorite series of games, but yea the trend of 'EVERYONE MUST BE LINKED WITH DESTINY' was terrible, and Kojima has said he hates it. Hell the entire ending of MGS4 was supposed to be Snake and Otacon turning themselves in for their super long list of crimes against humanity and poo poo, and then getting straight up killed by the state, but he got steamrolled by his own people to add in the terrible "AND EVERYONE LOVES SNAKE AND ARE ALL BFFS FOREVER AND BIG BOSS GIVES HIM A BIG OL DADDY HUG" extra end after the legitimately good 'snake with a gun in his mouth on the grave' scene fades to black. It's kinda hilarious that MGS has almost become out of Kojima's hands at this point.

I always figured Kojima was like a George Lucas type in the video game industry in that he's had a lot of success to the point that everybody just goes along with whatever he says now. If what you say is true I'm completely off base!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Pretty soon the games will start coming out again. Right now this is like a thread for a popular television show that's on break for a couple weeks. Things get weird when there isn't much to talk about.

Hopefully South Park, Dark Souls 2, Titanfall, Infamous: Second Son and what not can help us out.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I've never been "in on the ground floor" with a Souls game. It's going to be an exciting and terrifying experience.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Another Person posted:

You and most of the fans who will be buying 2. I would be really interested in seeing stats for the stages of adoption on the series. Real slow burn.

I played Demon's Souls well before Dark Souls came out so I'm ahead of most in that respect. Only got through maybe 1/3 of that game though and waited a long time before picking up Dark Souls. It took the Bonfireside Chat podcast to get me to finally play the game. If anybody here is a fan of the Souls games and not listening to that podcast you should be!

I will go back to Demon's Souls eventually when I have a working PS3 again. Just waiting for a killer deal or bundle or something.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I love the Binding of Isaac. I've played it a ton and probably watched an equal number of YouTube runs. The game didn't click for me though until I cheated to unlock all the items. I was annoyed that there was all this stuff in the game I wasn't seeing.

Edit: for rebirth I'll probably try to do it legit since I'm already on board now.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I just watched Patrick's first Isaac video. The people in the chat were giving him really poorly worded advice that seemed to confuse him. Things like "Your item will recharge when you complete stages" and some other things I've forgotten.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I do think it's smart for him to get his feet wet without Wrath of the Lamb. He wasn't planning on going too long without it and now that he's got a win under his belt maybe he'll even bump it up.

There is a lot going on in the game so I can't fault him too much but some of the stuff he misses drives me crazy! Maybe I just forget what it was like to be a noob... or maybe he just needs to look at his HUD more.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Auggh watching Patrick waste 3 or 4 bombs checking for the same location for the secret room not once but twice today was painful. His streams have got me playing again though!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I saw a recent blog post from Patrick where he was giving beginners Spelunky tips. One of them was "only kill necessary enemies." I'd like to teach him the Isaac version of that which would be something like "don't explore unnecessary rooms especially late in the game"

Had he gone straight to Mom he'd have been in better shape. He lost health exploring and the item room was Lemon Mishap probably the worst item in the game.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

TheGame posted:

I guess if he's not intending to go further than Mom that's good advice, but he seems to want to continue into the Womb. If you just cut exploration on levels when they get tough (and especially if you skip item rooms) you're gonna get really far behind! I mean yeah Lemon Mishap is useless, but BoI shares the common characteristic of a lot of roguelike-like-likes that it's usually a really good idea to completely explore every floor. At least until you're in the Chest or directly before the terminal boss.

I don't think the direct comparison works between the two. It's not a good idea to go out of your way to kill that scorpion off in a corner, but you don't beeline the exit in 1-2... you look for crates, alters, shops, etc.

That's fair enough. After mom though there are no item rooms or shops so it definitely makes sense to find the shortest path to the boss unless you really need consumables.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think Patrick is going to continue to be a very frustrating Isaac player until he starts soliciting advice a little more often. He is making spot decisions without understanding items that I think are going to become seeded in his mind until people start telling him otherwise. Tammy's Head is a solid enough item if you actually realize it recharges every room, for example, but I feel like if he sees it next run he'll be like "augh that's that GARBAGE item that I gave up my totally awesome Yum Heart for!"

For a man who loves Isaac gambling though he's going to love Cain when he finally unlocks him!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Maybe. The Yum Heart gives you a half heart every 4 rooms. I'd wager that if he used Tammy's Head every single combat room it would have resulted in him "gaining" more than half a heart over 4 combat rooms (in the form of not taking hits he might have otherwise)

edit: Is it a full heart? that might be a coin flip then. I still might stick with the Head especially with some of the tear effects he had.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 4, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I find it odd when he keeps thinking that upgrades don't stack. The crazy interactions between some items is like half the fun of the game.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I played New Vegas for a really long time. I went to every place on the map I could and did every quest I could find before going to New Vegas proper to advance the main plot. The second I entered New Vegas I encounter a game ending bug that doesn't allow me to advance the main quest.

Thanks Obsidian!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't want to sound like I'm accusing Patrick of not being genuine but I think he's maybe partially feeding off the reactions of Alex and others when he's discussing that game. When Alex is like "I dunno Patrick I think I have a pretty high tolerance for crazy Japanese poo poo but WHAT THE gently caress A BEAR?!" Patrick maybe just riffs off that a bit. I haven't played it but it didn't sound that crazy to me. Kids in a school have to kill each other. yeah there use some weirdness on top of that but when you boil it down it isn't much crazier than battle royale or saw or whatever.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Today's Isaac stream on the youtube just stops at a bit over the one hour mark. Did the game actually crash on him? Doesn't seem like his commentary and stream would have stopped so suddenly if that were the case.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
And from what I've heard there are in game ways to tweak your own difficulty on DS II some of which involve the pvp experience. You can do something to make mobs hostile to your invaders, for example. Also, pvp while hollow could make covenants more useful and interesting and relevant.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Patrick's Isaac run was cut short again on YouTube for some reason. To the website!

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm a flight attendant and there were two Australian guys on my last flight. I regret not having them weigh in on the thong issue.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Holy Cheese posted:

They'd probably just fight to the death though.

True... I think I overheard that one was from Melbourne and the other from Perth. I don't think we have the Perth perspective yet.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
If I wanted to watch Patrick stream Isaac live where would I do that? I've checked twitch.tv/giantbomb once or twice when I thought he would have been at it and didn't see anything there.

edit: looks like Binding of Patrick is in the past broadcasts there though so I must have just checked in at the wrong times.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
South Park did it better.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I might be done watching the Patrick Isaac runs. He doesn't play enough to get a solid understanding of the game and he's talking about playing less...

I dunno. Maybe I'm just bored of watching challenge runs.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 26, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Yodzilla posted:

As much as I love Binding of Isaac the game just isn't nearly as interesting or funny to watch as Spelunky.

I like watching good Isaac players. For a while I was watching Bisnap every day. Watching Spelunky just makes me want to play it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Jeff and Brad both have the Panasonic st50, right?

I have one too and it looks incredible but I also feel like I shouldn't have gotten a plasma. For me it's because of image retention. I kept reading that burn in was a non issue these days but I have a couple streaks from playing too much Spelunky that won't go away. I've been more careful since then but having to worry about it is a pain in the rear end.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The week to week continuity in the emails section is the best thing to ever happen to the bombcast

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
What was Vinny's level? I walked right through that area of the game with what should be a similar build at around level 100. Heavy armor around +5 and large club +10 for me...but he doesn't have his set up right. The fact that he's flipping different weapons and armor around so much is concerning. He should know what he likes by now and have it upgraded past like, +2.

I definitely think I'm a bit over leveled but I see lots of summon signs and stuff so it can't be too bad. Even if I was lower level I think I'd be doing fine though because I respect my stamina and invested in my gear.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
They were reading off a "top ten condiments" list on the radio recently. Callers would take guesses to see if they could fill out the list. Mayo was #1 with over twice the sales of #2 ketchup. Not sure if that's just in the US or what but I was shocked. Mayonnaise is the worst.

Edit. I feel bad continuing this conversation into a new page. Oh well.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I put BBQ sauce on most things. That's my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

woodenchicken posted:

So in Dark Souls II, did that thing everyone's been complaining about where you are never safe and can be invaded at any moment turn out to be a non-issue?

If anything there isn't enough invading going on

• Locked thread