Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

So what's the situation with Patrick going to the CAH office? Are they located in Chicago as well? Is he just going to be working out of there from now on, or is it just a quick visit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Fallom posted:

I couldn't figure out how to parry at first because the instructions said to move in the direction of the attack, not in the direction of the attacker. That made me think it was a lot more complicated than it was.

That was what I first read in this the Steam thread a couple of days ago, too, and I had to look up a YouTube tutorial because the way the poster phrased it sounded insanely unintuitive.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

My buddies trying it say that it feels more like a co-op Skyrim than a MMO but c'mon, in our fiscal year of Luigi you can't do that poo poo anymore. Hope they have a insane lifetime subscription you can buy (only before the game is out of Beta)!

I was in the last beta and I can confirm that it felt like a pretty rinky-dink co-op Elder Scrolls rather than a traditional MMO. What really struck me as bizarre, though, was the lack of instancing -- from the get-go you're going through the same rigamarole as every Elder Scrolls game, breaking out of prison and having a dying mentor tell you that you're the chosen one, etc, but you've got fifty other people in the same room as you experiencing the exact same story beats. Playing that first time, it felt like I was part of a graduating class that my NPC guide was addressing.

Every modern MMORPG from LOTRO on has realized how oddly distancing that kind of storytelling is, so it's quaintly funny to see Bethesda any studio taking such a regressive approach to it. That said the game is garbage and I unsubscribed from their mailing list after they sent me two emails yesterday begging me to register for the upcoming beta test, which I've never done for any MMO in the past.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 10, 2014

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Whizbang posted:

Brad Shoemaker is human garbage.

Counterpoint: Brad Shoemaker is a perfectly decent human being who's probably reasonable enough to not deem people human garbage just because they're bad at video games

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

I'd love to see what someone could make as a game now days using the actual limitations of a system like the C64. Not this "it looks sort of like a C64 game but not really" kind of poo poo, but someone making a game that could actually run on the system.

A lot of the old techniques for being super duper tight about your coding are probably lost to the sands of time now but if you got one of those Scene Demo dudes on board...

Well, there's this.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

Isn't SimCity structured around depending on other, nearby, cities though? Are offline folks just supposed to build more satellite cities to support their main?

Yeah, but playing solo has always been the most reliable way to play the game. If you try to play it with friends then you run the inevitable risk of someone getting bored and abandoning their cit(y/ies) before your region's great work can be completed -- and that will happen, because the game is too terrible to sustain the interests of more than one sane person for more than a couple of days.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Defending Platinum on this one seems odd. Not telling the player about the lock-on function is an oversight, likely not a deliberate one, and is only problematic until people inevitably find out about it when they first start reading about the game in depth. It's okay to acknowledge these things and still enjoy the game!

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Aw gently caress, this reminds me that I've got to back up Viva Pinata and several other games from the GFWL Marketplace before it shuts down.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Unearthed is clearly garbage but it's hard for me to hate it on principle. Like if it paves the way for good games to start coming out of this region of the world then all the better.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

Just bought La-Mulana on Steam, but it's not showing up in my game library

is this the first puzzle

Whenever this happens, just restart Steam.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

For the life of me, I thought I read both in this thread and in the video's description that Dave appeared on the Kickbeat quick look. Which recent video was he in, if not that one?

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Was what Brad said (during the pinball QL) about Abrams wanting to have the original cast be the main cast of the new Star Wars movie true?

Yep!

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

My main concern is the cast no longer having it in them to pull off the characters and carry the entire movie. Hamill seems motivated enough but a wiser older Luke may be beyond his range; I don't know enough about Fisher to speculate; and the last time Harrison Ford actually gave a poo poo about a role he had was probably decades ago.

Let's just say you shouldn't expect any of them to be moving around all that much. I don't think there's any way they'll actually end up being the central focus of a sci-fi action film.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Dunno if anyone mentioned it already, but qlcrew.com lets you create M3U or YouTube playlists from any given search.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Hashy posted:

Is this going to be the new "looks like a flash game" as everyone learns to recognize the tells? :(

What I love is that it conveys absolutely nothing. Like, I can identify without fail whether a game was made in Unreal engine. So? What obviously matters is what a developer has done with it. Jazzpunk looks unique as all get out, engine notwithstanding.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

So after the Game Room talk yesterday I've been watching the entire run in one go. It's been equal parts entertaining and enlightening so far, but the most astounding thing I've learned from it is that they were still pumping out 2600 and Intellivision games well into the late '80s, years after the NES was released. By that point everyone knew what a real video game could be and yet these American hardware makers were still hanging onto dear life with their ancient garbage systems. That's crazy!

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Podcast up soon, later means more time for Vinny to work his editing magic :getin:

Aaand it's up. Dig in.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

You know, the question "This looks neat, how much does it cost?" comes up on Giant Bomb a lot, and I don't think anyone has ever had an answer for it in any instance.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

So it looks like we're getting our wish and Danny is pretty much Giant Bomb on-screen talent now? This has been a pretty great development.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wait is there a show going on or did I just miss all of UPF again?

You missed all of UPF.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Did Jeff ever finish reading Space Jam on air?

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I refuse to believe any Facebook integration is good, so spoil for me what is good about it.

I was curious as well, but all I've found from a cursory Google search is that Ellie and her friend at one point step into a photo booth where you pose for snaps that can be uploaded to your Facebook page. Sooo.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I assume that Ubisoft's delay was meant to allow Obsidian to put some uncharacteristic polish on it. Here's hoping, anyhow. First time for everything.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Probably not the best place to ask, but does anyone know why Gamespot only archives highlights of their weekly live shows rather than full broadcasts?

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I can't think of a time when I've blamed a multiplayer shooter's perceived poor or unbalanced mechanics for my inability to play it well. I guess it's because I'm not particularly good at them and place no expectations on my own performance when I play them, nor do I really have any idea what makes for decent weapon balance anyhow. When I play a game like COD or BF4 I'm just not terribly concerned about my kill/death/ratio so much as I am unwinding, so it's hard to get worked up if I die to some gimmicky game mechanic.

I've gotten killed by a few people using the smart pistol in Titanfall, but I chalked that up to standing in one place too long. I've had a blast with the game so far and it's the most fun I've had with a multiplayer shooter since COD4.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

crowfeathers posted:

Personally I'm just sick of the trolls showing up in this thread, making GBS threads all over what is shaping up to be one of the most exciting multiplayer FPS releases in years. I think you'll find that, underneath the "ironic" trolling most people are positive, or at least neutral, about Titanfall.

crowe the only shooters I've ever seen you talk about are Cabela's hunting sims and budget eastern European trash like Exodus from the Earth. We both know you don't care one way or the other about Titanfall so it's weird seeing you poo poo up a thread you've never posted in before with a bunch of metaironic troll posts sarcastically defending it

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

404notfound posted:

Admittedly, I haven't played the game all the way through since release, but I never got the impression that Rockstar was trying to make a sort of meta-commentary on how the hypocrisy justifies the ludonarrative dissonance (just saying that term makes me feel douchey, but this is pretty much the definition of it). It felt more like they were earnestly going for "tragic character caught up in a bad situation," which just falls flat. Maybe I should play it again and get a second read on it, though even after building a new computer late last year, I'm still not sure if I want to roll the dice with the PC version.

Having played through it recently I can confirm that it's not a factor in the story at all. The cutscenes play almost completely parallel to the actual events that unfold through gameplay, one never really remarking upon the other. It would have been truly something had Rockstar realized that would be a great narrative road to go down (didn't Sleeping Dogs attempt that? I didn't play it), but unfortunately Dan Houser is a terrible writer and the idea likely never even occurred to him.

Only slightly related, but here's a fun drinking game: Next time you play a Rockstar game, drink every time a character makes a joke and then goes on to explain the punchline.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Nevermind that, the potential early candidate for Quick Look of the year has finally arrived.

e: nvm

ovaries fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 20, 2014

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Was the GB crew busy with a group excursion this weekend? Jeff/Brad/Vinny/Rorie haven't updated their Twitters since Friday.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't the news out of last years E3 that it played terrible?

I think they've upended the entire game since then, rewriting and even removing gameplay mechanics wholesale, but the assumption has been that even then it would end up being pretty rotten, yeah.

e: hadn't refreshed the thread in a while

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

So the Japanese PS4 quick look was kind of a dud, but perhaps THIS will be the new hotness I've been waiting for!

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

The PC version of Titanfall will be 48 loving gigs! I hope ISPs sort out their poo poo over the next couple of years, because things are gonna get gnarly.

I imagine that's a ~24 GB install doubled for extraction, but I can't be bothered to look for confirmation on that.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Mutation posted:

Can't Steam or Origins implement some sort of system where I can choose to compress the audio (or not download alternate languages) or textures or whatever is hogging up all that space?

Steam's solution is pretty inelegant -- Skyrim and Lost Planet 3 have free opt-in hi-res texture pack DLC, but once you've tied them to your account, there's no way to download the games without the texture packs from that point on.

When I tried to play The Witcher with Polish audio, I had to go into the game's properties in my Steam library and change my preferred language to Polish at which point those additional audio files automatically began downloading. It would be nice to see something like that get implemented across the board.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

"The Nightmare, Hell and Inferno difficulty modes have been replaced by a new dynamic difficulty system, which itself is divided into subcategories: Normal, Hard, Expert, Master and Torment, with the latter being further divided into six gradations."

What

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Rirse posted:

Someone found a old PSM letter from Patrick.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net...5ba&oe=5310EB84

UGP! Patrick had good taste.

Or at least good taste for a ten year old, I'm sure that poo poo would be incredibly embarrassing to go back and read nowadays.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Overbite posted:

Game Players and Ultra Game Players were the best video game magazines. PSM was cool but they tended to print huge multipage articles going over the Metal Gear Solid 2 trailer frame by frame.

I miss Game Players. I need to find a way to go back and read them.

Lost my entire collection to water damage. As far as I know no one has ever done any scans of that magazine.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Somewhat relevant to all of the wrestling talk that's been going on recently: Pro Wrestling X is back on Kickstarter after their first one failed a couple of years ago, this time with a very modest goal of $6000 for polishing. It's looking great these days, and Steam desperately needs a game like this in their catalogue.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I'd be willing to wager that most of the people who post in here listen to several podcasts aside from the Bombcast (I know I do), however this is a thread devoted to Giant Bomb so it kind of stands to reason that that's what everyone in here would talk about.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Damo posted:

edit: vv Good lord, again already. In a previous post, I clarified... you know what, just fuckin' forget it. I will add that if you don't think people who watch the P4 endurance run like a dozen times and post about how it's literally the best piece of entertainment media ever made (which I've seen people on GB board say)

Which people (plural) in this thread have said that? If you're talking about GB's own forums, maybe take it up with them?

e: You've edited the above post six times so far so I'm going to guess that you're going through a Thing. That's fine, it's a Saturday night, but maybe find other threads to poo poo up?

ovaries fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

• Locked thread