Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maneki Neko posted:

Whoa dang, iOS 15 seems to have fixed some things or T-Mobile got around to upgrading towers in my town. Finally saw 5GUC and got a 650mbps Speedtest on my iPhone 12.

What’s 5GUC? I’ve only gotten normal 5G since I’ve had mine and it seems to be almost the same speed as LTE as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s 5GUC? I’ve only gotten normal 5G since I’ve had mine and it seems to be almost the same speed as LTE as far as I can tell.

There’s a new icon for higher capacity/speed 5G. After I updated to iOS 15 I went to about and got a carrier update and then saw it today:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/9/15/22675255/tmobile-5g-uc-icon-iphone

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

FCKGW posted:

To expand on this, they have the phone $100 off and they're doing a bonus $100 on trade in phones.
That means the cost to upgrade from a 12 Pro > 13 Pro is roughly $100 and you own the phone outright, no bill credits and you don't need to change plans.

holy heck, it’s true. it was $72.99 total to go from a 12 pro to a 13 pro for me, and they’ll have it available for pickup in store on friday.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

creationist believer posted:

holy heck, it’s true. it was $72.99 total to go from a 12 pro to a 13 pro for me, and they’ll have it available for pickup in store on friday.

How does this work? I may go for it too. Do they give you the discounts on the website or does it have to be done in-store?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SeANMcBAY posted:

How does this work? I may go for it too. Do they give you the discounts on the website or does it have to be done in-store?

i did it on the website. Just select a t-mobile iPhone and add it to your cart and it asks if you want to trade in a phone.

i don’t own my iPhone 12 Pro outright, but it seems like i’ll keep my EIP for it in place even and only pay the $73. Heck, I’d almost pay that much just to trade my old scratched up phone for a new one of the same model.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

creationist believer posted:

i did it on the website. Just select a t-mobile iPhone and add it to your cart and it asks if you want to trade in a phone.

i don’t own my iPhone 12 Pro outright, but it seems like i’ll keep my EIP for it in place even and only pay the $73. Heck, I’d almost pay that much just to trade my old scratched up phone for a new one of the same model.

Do they have to take the trade in when you pick up the new phone? I have a few Best Buy gift cards and carts so it would basically be free to me.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do they have to take the trade in when you pick up the new phone? I have a few Best Buy gift cards and carts so it would basically be free to me.

It looks like you do. You can also order it shipped to you, in which case I think you’d ship the trade in back.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hmm, one part of the site says they’ll give me $530 for my 12 Mini and then when I try to add it to my cart and give trade in details again, it says $430. Guess I’ll contact support.

Edit: Figured it out and preordered mine. I guess better battery life makes it worth it. Hopefully the same case fits.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 23, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

FCKGW posted:

To expand on this, they have the phone $100 off and they're doing a bonus $100 on trade in phones.
That means the cost to upgrade from a 12 Pro > 13 Pro is roughly $100 and you own the phone outright, no bill credits and you don't need to change plans.

I have a question about how activation works when you purchase through Best Buy like this.

I'm currently with AT&T (postpaid plan, but no contract and my current iPhone 8+ is unlocked). I really want to move to a prepaid plan eventually to save some money since I don't use that much data or care about 5G in my town. A few months back I tried to switch from AT&T postpaid to AT&T prepaid and the jerks would not let me port my phone number to a prepaid plan directly. They were gonna make me add it as a separate line with a new number, then after some wait period, I would be able to swap the number over and cancel the old postpaid line. I didn't bother because I didn't want to juggle two numbers.

I wouldn't mind switching to T-mobile, but I don't want to get stuck on one of their postpaid plans indefinitely. I checked out the Best Buy online preorder form and it looks like if I pay for the phone up front instead of using a payment plan, I get get the $100 discount for a new T-mobile activation, $160 for my iPhone 8+ trade, and an extra $100 trade in bonus. A $360 discount with trade-in seems good enough to me, but my concern is that I have to pick a T-Mobile postpaid plan (Essential, Magenta, or Magenta Max) as part of the preorder.

There's nothing in the fine print I can find about how long I have to stick with that plan. Will the phone be unlocked after activation with T-Mobile? Can I immediately switch over to a prepaid plan like like T-Mobile Connect? Could I even immediately switch back to AT&T on one of their prepaid plans?

The only thing I can find anywhere is this link explaining T-Mobile's unlock policy, which says that they will unlock a phone after 40 days of postpaid service:
https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

I'm ok with paying for a month or two of T-Mobile postpaid service. I just don't want to get trapped with postpaid plan rates for a long time or end up with a phone I can never unlock.

If anyone here knows how they're gonna screw me over if I try this, or can answer my question about lock-in, I'd appreciate advice. I tried doing a Best Buy live chat, but they said I needed to ask the carrier since the phone would be locked to them upon activation. I called the T-Mobile help and couldn't really get an answer out of them. They said as long as the phone is unlocked I can switch to prepaid right away, but couldn't tell me how to get a new phone unlocked since I don't have an account yet.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Really really want to upgrade my Motorola Moto G7 and I just came over to T-mobile from Sprint. Being a second class citizen for so long the emotional trauma spent from over 20 year on sprint plans and network has be an anxiety riddled adventure.

I want Motorola g100 but I understand the signal bands can be confusing. I see versions marketed as International 4g Euro 5g, Sprint/Verizon only, on AMAZON, meanwhile on the Motorola website it makes no mention of model number of the one they offer so it's hard to compare.

Is there a version of this phone that is fully feature compatible and full 5g compatibility on T-mobiles network? If not is there a similar phone around 350 that's in a similar wheelhouse?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 23, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Bad Purchase posted:

I have a question about how activation works when you purchase through Best Buy like this.

I think I was able to answer my own question with some further digging. The answer is that I will be locked to T-Mobile for 40 days if I do the Best Buy deal. After that I can go anywhere. The cheapest T-Mobile plan I can pick is $65/mo for those 2 months, vs about $25/mo for prepaid with the data I need. So the extra cost would amount to $110 ($40x2 + $30 for another activation somewhere else after 2 months).

The total Best Buy incentive is $385 ($100 discount, $260 trade in, and about $25 of sales tax saved), and the net value is $275 ($385 - $110).

The other option is I could just buy the drat phone directly from Apple unlocked from day 1 and go wherever I want. Looking at the used market, I could probably get about $230 after shipping and fees if I sold my 8 plus on Swappa. Or I could trade in to Apple for $180. So in the end, the numbers come out to:
  • Save $95 ($275 - $180) if I buy from Best Buy, do a trade in, and do a carrier/plan swap after 40 days.
  • Save $50 ($275 - $230) if I buy from Apple and sell my phone the hard way.

It's probably not worth the hassle (and risk of something going wrong). I think I might as well just buy from Apple and go directly to a cheap prepaid plan in one swoop.

On the other hand, that $95 would just barely cover the cost of purchasing an apple case for my new phone :thunk:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

maniacripper posted:

Really really want to upgrade my Motorola Moto G7 and I just came over to T-mobile from Sprint. Being a second class citizen for so long the emotional trauma spent from over 20 year on sprint plans and network has be an anxiety riddled adventure.

I want Motorola g100 but I understand the signal bands can be confusing. I see versions marketed as International 4g Euro 5g, Sprint/Verizon only, on AMAZON, meanwhile on the Motorola website it makes no mention of model number of the one they offer so it's hard to compare.

Is there a version of this phone that is fully feature compatible and full 5g compatibility on T-mobiles network? If not is there a similar phone around 350 that's in a similar wheelhouse?

Looking at the Motorola website, it looks like that phone does not support band 71 which is T-Mobile's primary low band for "extended range" and indoor coverage. I would not buy a new phone for use on T-Mobile that did not support that band. I'm not even sure 5G would work without band 71 as I believe T-Mobile currently requires phones to "anchor" on band 71 to access 5G.

If you want to buy an unlocked phone for use on T-Mobile, Best Buy is probably your best bet. See what they have to offer. Otherwise look at what T-Mobile themselves offer on their site.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Mr.Radar posted:

Looking at the Motorola website, it looks like that phone does not support band 71 which is T-Mobile's primary low band for "extended range" and indoor coverage. I would not buy a new phone for use on T-Mobile that did not support that band. I'm not even sure 5G would work without band 71 as I believe T-Mobile currently requires phones to "anchor" on band 71 to access 5G.

If you want to buy an unlocked phone for use on T-Mobile, Best Buy is probably your best bet. See what they have to offer. Otherwise look at what T-Mobile themselves offer on their site.

This is exactly the issue I was looking to avoid. Looks like I'm deciding between the Oneplus Nord N200 5g and the Motorola 5G One Ace. Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deals be damned, I don’t think I’m ever doing an upgrade through Best Buy again. the system requires you to activate a new SIM card in order to process the sale and trade-in so there went my primarily line (for a bit). Thankfully the process of getting the line back on eSim is pretty drat quick and painless through the app message support (tell them what you want, send them the EID, and the rest you do on the phone itself). So I thought I was finally done but wait, there’s more! Since the promotion was for a t-mobile iphone this 13 mini is sim locked! So now I have to request a carrier unlock as well!

Just kidding, the deal is actually totally worth this one day headache. Since they hosed up the first attempt at trade in they discounted the cost of the SIM card so I only paid $85 total for the phone after taxes AND they gave me a $50 gift card for the trouble / additional wait.

I had to put in for a carrier unlock request through the message support since the website doesn’t recognize my 13 mini right now (probably because it’s seeing the eSim now) so I think in the future you want to unlock first then transfer to eSim.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I had a nice experience with Best Buy. I preordered my 13 pro, trading in my 12 pro for their 800 trade-in value. Went to pick it up today. I backed up my phone and erased it before going to the store and took out my SIM card. I get there handed them my phone. They took a few minutes on their computer and handed me my 13 pro and I left. The guy just asked if I had my stuff backed up and I said yea so he gave me the new phone and I walked out.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Deals be damned, I don’t think I’m ever doing an upgrade through Best Buy again. the system requires you to activate a new SIM card in order to process the sale and trade-in so there went my primarily line (for a bit). Thankfully the process of getting the line back on eSim is pretty drat quick and painless through the app message support (tell them what you want, send them the EID, and the rest you do on the phone itself). So I thought I was finally done but wait, there’s more! Since the promotion was for a t-mobile iphone this 13 mini is sim locked! So now I have to request a carrier unlock as well!

Just kidding, the deal is actually totally worth this one day headache. Since they hosed up the first attempt at trade in they discounted the cost of the SIM card so I only paid $85 total for the phone after taxes AND they gave me a $50 gift card for the trouble / additional wait.

I had to put in for a carrier unlock request through the message support since the website doesn’t recognize my 13 mini right now (probably because it’s seeing the eSim now) so I think in the future you want to unlock first then transfer to eSim.

At least you got yours today. I was told today when I ordered, but now it’s whenever they feel like it (their email says “a couple days”).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got the new iPhone 13 today, eSIM came pre-activated and connected fine to T-Mobile's network. Even showed the new phones on the T-Mobile site. Couldn't get SMS or calls to work though, even after deleting the Cellular Plan from the phone and re-adding it through the T-Mobile website.

My iPhone 12 was a physical SIM though, so just popped that out and into the new phone, that worked. Be nice to use eSIM but it's not necessary.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I converted my 2 lines on iPhone 13s to eSIMs. Was rather amused how simple the process was and didn't need to call a rep or anything.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I can say I'll never use t-mobile chat ever again. I tried to activate an ipad tablet line online, and they just sent a sim. No option for esim. Seems a tad outdated, but okay...

A bit later I hit up the chat asking if I could just get it setup with an eSIM instead of waiting for a sim card to wind its way over to me. I waited for three hours for a response, NBD there, iphone weekend, and I was doing other stuff. I had to explain what I wanted to do twice, and they seemed to get it. Maybe I wasn't clear, but in the end here I had to give them a confirmation text code 7 times, took two hours on chat (after the initial wait) at this point for something to show up on my tablet. No internet, they do something else for half an hour, I get a text that I got a new sim for it. And they said it could take two hours to update. I wait until morning, no internet still.

I call TMo at this point, explain what all has been done. The very nice rep asks if xxx is the number shown for EID, nope. "yyy?" Nope. "zzz?" No, it's ###" as I can hear her get more and more exasperated as she's going through stuff on her side. Whoever I chatted with hosed it up royally apparently. As within 5 minutes the tablet is online, looks totally different for the info shown within iOS. (Actually shows data used, active dates, etc) The duplicate lines on my account page are cleared up. And the chat rep also said I'd have to refuse delivery of the SIM they were going to send to get the line cancelled. The phone rep just said "...no, you don't have do to that. Just dispose of it, the sim that is on the way will no longer work. I already cancelled that line for you."

Not sure what the hell happened with the chat rep. I have to assume some poor soul got tossed in with barely any training due to launch weekend.

Opposite side of that, I bought a 13 Pro launch morning at 9am, paid the $30 in person T-Mobile tax for visiting a store so I could do my trade right there and not deal with shipping it and that was smooth as glass, didn't even pre-order. I was the only person in the store besides two employees. In\out 40 minutes with the data transfer even.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The Best Buy offer is really tempting for a $100 13 Pro, but I’m on a payment plan for my 12 Pro through T-Mobile. If I pay it off early do I stop getting device credits for my last trade-in?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fourwood posted:

The Best Buy offer is really tempting for a $100 13 Pro, but I’m on a payment plan for my 12 Pro through T-Mobile. If I pay it off early do I stop getting device credits for my last trade-in?

I don’t think T-Mobile will even know you sold your phone so I don’t see why not.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fourwood posted:

No, the credits move from the device to the service level. You will continue to get the credit for the remainder of the contract whether you have the phone or not.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

FCKGW posted:

No, the credits move from the device to the service level. You will continue to get the credit for the remainder of the contract whether you have the phone or not.
They don't stack with a later promo, though: if you get another device from T-Mobile with service credits it'll replace your existing credits.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

FCKGW posted:

heffray posted:

They don't stack with a later promo, though: if you get another device from T-Mobile with service credits it'll replace your existing credits.
Thanks, just what I was hoping to hear. A little more searching on Reddit leads me to believe that Best Buy might just not even care if you don’t own the phone outright, so maybe we’ll see.

Although apparently at this point they have to have an iPhone 13 Pro in stock locally to put in an order with a trade-in, and they’re all sold out anywhere close to me. :mad:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was on the Walmart plan forever. Last month I switched to the $50 unlimited prepaid plan.

Now I want to move my wife onto my plan from another carrier.

The TMo store says I can’t do that unless I move to something called “rebellion” and they didn’t know how to do that without losing my $800 prepaid account balance.

I called phone support. It felt like there was a language barrier, but I think the rep put in a request to do the rebellion thing. He had no idea how long it would take.

Am I going down the right path? Is this going to happen before my wife’s Cricket account comes due again tomorrow?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A different rep just called and said it would take at least 3 days to move my plan from “legacy” to “rebellion.”

Since the Cricket bill is due tomorrow, I guess my wife isn’t joining T-Mobile until next month if she wants to keep her number.

Case closed. What a pain.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Marching on Fort Sumter to move my wife to my wireless plan.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I shouldn’t have to know anything about the employee computer systems at tmobile.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I made an appointment and spent 40 minutes driving round trip to go to a T-Mobile store to transfer my sprint plan and buy a new phone. I show up and the guy tells me they literally can't do anything because their manager isn't there and he has to be there to do anything with Sprint.

So maybe I shouldn't get T-Mobile?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I have TMobile, I've had Verizon, I've never had a good experience at either of their stores.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
T-Mobile has been a bit better in my experience, but maybe it's because all the Verizon customers in my town are olds and probably just need help figuring out how to get back to The Internet on their new iPhone (it's actually a Samsung, of course).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve usually only gotten help through messaging with T-Mobile and they have been pretty great. Offering me discounts and such for minor inconveniences.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Contacting t-force through Twitter is the best method I’ve seen, their reps are fantastic.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Aren’t most t mobile stores just third party poop?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Elephanthead posted:

Aren’t most t mobile stores just third party poop?

Also not unique to TMobile but yes.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone able to get this epix for $3 code to work in the Tuesdays app? Trying and it just offered me free 7 day trial and then regular price after that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So I went to a different tmobile store and they gave me $400 for my OG iPhone SE. Weird

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So I went to a different tmobile store and they gave me $400 for my OG iPhone SE. Weird

Maybe they confused it with the newer SE. Good score.:thumbsup:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I double checked to make sure. This is on Sprint Select / Essentials. My dad also switched today and they gave him 400 for his iPhone 6 :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think they just want to lock people into these new phone discounts that are essentially 2 year contracts again