Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Will there be any kind of place to receive updates of the low-band expansion Legere mentioned at CES, if/when that starts going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is it possible to get the $30 plan with an existing phone, as long as you're new to T-Mobile? It looks like I could just order a SIM card from t-mobile and then select the nerd plan when activating.

**I thought I had an unlocked phone, but I was wrong, and apparently Sprint phones use CDMA anyways. Regardless, if I just want to get an unlocked Galaxy from wherever's cheapest, can I do that? Will the $30 plan be around in five months if I just wait for the galaxy S5 to exist?

Cheston fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 24, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
That it how most people do it. Get an activation kit from the website, activate it on the website, insert SIM in phone.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Anyone know anything about the new iOS carrier update? It updated from 15.5 to 15.6 but the support page still only lists 15.5: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9259

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Cross-post from pre-paid thread:

Anyone do any international calling/texting on TMo prepaid?

I have a friend going to El Salvador for a few weeks, and she wants to be able to contact me. Does it just charge me extra per minute/text (less if I add the $10 international package)? Or do I need to have it set-up special?

edit: Additionally, I'm giving her my GSM Galaxy Nexus to use over there. Rumor has it that TMobile allows for international roaming on prepaid...could we activate one of my spare SIMs in it, throw some cash on it, and call it good, rather than purchasing a local SIM?

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 26, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I seem to be having issues getting my phone unlocked to bring to T-Mobile. Anyway, how would it work if ported over one number as a new line as an individual plan, and then brought in a second line later and make it a family plan. Would T-mobile just prorate it and adjust accordingly?

My wife's Sprint billing cycle ends soon, and I don't do it soon for her line she'll be paying for another month of Sprint.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Cross-post from pre-paid thread:

Anyone do any international calling/texting on TMo prepaid?

I have a friend going to El Salvador for a few weeks, and she wants to be able to contact me. Does it just charge me extra per minute/text (less if I add the $10 international package)? Or do I need to have it set-up special?

edit: Additionally, I'm giving her my GSM Galaxy Nexus to use over there. Rumor has it that TMobile allows for international roaming on prepaid...could we activate one of my spare SIMs in it, throw some cash on it, and call it good, rather than purchasing a local SIM?

Here is T-Mobile's list of rates for US to international calls. It looks like El Salvador is $1.99/minute for calls. International texting is $0.10 per message to send and receive. It looks like you'd be much better off using Skype ($0.253/min), Google Voice ($0.19/min), or Vonage ($0.14/min on their pay as you go plan) for calling.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 27, 2014

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

It looks like I can add a $10/month add-on to knock the cost way down to .20/minute for calls, and free texting. That said, I'll probably just roll with texting at .10/per.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
AT&T finally unlocked my iPhone so I can start using that. I already have a T-Mobile nano sim to use, but logging in to T-mobile.com/sim just bounces me back to the T-Mobile front page. (Looks like a bunch of other people on prepaid report the same problem.) I'll do an online support chat as soon as I get a chance, but what info do I need? Just my account/phone number, and the number on the new sim? Or is there anything else I should have ready for them?

Edit: Just did this, they also need your account PIN, but if you don't remember it they can reset it for you. (To do the reset they needed the last 4 digits of the last number I called.)

CaptainCaveman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 28, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CaptainCaveman posted:

AT&T finally unlocked my iPhone so I can start using that. I already have a T-Mobile nano sim to use, but logging in to T-mobile.com/sim just bounces me back to the T-Mobile front page. (Looks like a bunch of other people on prepaid report the same problem.) I'll do an online support chat as soon as I get a chance, but what info do I need? Just my account/phone number, and the number on the new sim? Or is there anything else I should have ready for them?

Edit: Just did this, they also need your account PIN, but if you don't remember it they can reset it for you. (To do the reset they needed the last 4 digits of the last number I called.)

How long did it take them to unlock the phone? I'm trying to do that now.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
It was pretty much 5 full days. I put in the unlock request around 10:30 PM on the 22nd and got the email that it was unlocked around 11:30 PM on the 27th. (The email also said it may take an additional 24 hours for the unlock to go through, but it was done when I tried it this morning.)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Ugh... I just tried calling AT&T and they are telling me I have to go to a store to reset my account AT&T Account Passcode. Why do I have a feeling that the person was just lazy and bullshitting me?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Ugh... I just tried calling AT&T and they are telling me I have to go to a store to reset my account AT&T Account Passcode. Why do I have a feeling that the person was just lazy and bullshitting me?

If the pass code was not lining up that is what you would have to do. Call again to check but you may have to stop by quick.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Duckman2008 posted:

If the pass code was not lining up that is what you would have to do. Call again to check but you may have to stop by quick.

That sucks... it's my brothers old iPhone, who lives in a different state, and who is pretty reluctant to want to help me out with this because he can't be bothered to go to an AT&T store. I have all the information to basically call AT&T and pretend to be him, but if they check ID in the store then I'm going to have a problem.

Irradiated Haggis
Dec 20, 2010

Cheston posted:

Is it possible to get the $30 plan with an existing phone, as long as you're new to T-Mobile? It looks like I could just order a SIM card from t-mobile and then select the nerd plan when activating.

**I thought I had an unlocked phone, but I was wrong, and apparently Sprint phones use CDMA anyways. Regardless, if I just want to get an unlocked Galaxy from wherever's cheapest, can I do that? Will the $30 plan be around in five months if I just wait for the galaxy S5 to exist?

As far as I'm aware there are no plans to cancel the $30 plan - that said it's a prepaid plan, so they have no contract to provide service - it could probably change at any time.

If you're on Sprint, you might consider taking your phone to Ting instead - I've heard good things about them.

As for the $30 plan - I ordered mine through Wal-Mart's website, picked it up locally, and activated it online at home, then popped the SIM into my phone, and it worked fine. It's an excellent plan - just be warned you'll go through the 100 minutes pretty fast if you're like me. I recommend Rebtel for it's cheap calling rate (1.5 cents per minute) and excellent integration with android, or Skype for calls over LTE or Wifi.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
I just ordered an unlocked moto x directly from Motorola. It says it comes with a T-Mobile sim--can I use it to sign up for the nerd plan? I read something claiming that postpaid and prepaid sims are different??

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Otm Shank posted:

I just ordered an unlocked moto x directly from Motorola. It says it comes with a T-Mobile sim--can I use it to sign up for the nerd plan? I read something claiming that postpaid and prepaid sims are different??

You can activate the sim online and select the nerd plan.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

The Entire Universe posted:

Will there be any kind of place to receive updates of the low-band expansion Legere mentioned at CES, if/when that starts going?

I would like to know as well. Low-band is much needed as it penetrates walls and decreases the cost of expansion in sparsely populated regions.

Right now most phones don't support T-mobiles 700mhz A (Band 12) and there are specific regulations that do not allow it to be used anywhere that has licensing for Channel 51 (this is most of their acquired regions). Channel 51 will be re-provisioned in less than 2 years and so I anticipate that T-mobile is deploying the technology now and will start using it as soon as they can. By that time most of our phones will support it. In the meantime they are trying to acquire 600mhz spectrum as well.

Here is some good reading: http://assets.fiercemarkets.net/public/mdano/amis/700-tmobile-verizon.pdf

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
My question from earlier wasn't answered so I guess I'll try again.

My father in law has a T-Mobile family plan, all lines are utilized.

My mother in law wants to port in a line from Sprint (nowhere near the end of the contract) onto her OWN family plan separate from his. Is she eligible for the ETF bonus? Or is she screwed because her husband has an existing T-Mobile plan?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Medikit posted:

I would like to know as well. Low-band is much needed as it penetrates walls and decreases the cost of expansion in sparsely populated regions.

Right now most phones don't support T-mobiles 700mhz A (Band 12) and there are specific regulations that do not allow it to be used anywhere that has licensing for Channel 51 (this is most of their acquired regions). Channel 51 will be re-provisioned in less than 2 years and so I anticipate that T-mobile is deploying the technology now and will start using it as soon as they can. By that time most of our phones will support it. In the meantime they are trying to acquire 600mhz spectrum as well.

Here is some good reading: http://assets.fiercemarkets.net/public/mdano/amis/700-tmobile-verizon.pdf

Less than two years... :smith:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Our of pure curiosity... what is stopping somebody from going to Verizon for a month, getting a subsidized phone, and then having T-Mobile pay the ETF and selling the phone for a profit?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Our of pure curiosity... what is stopping somebody from going to Verizon for a month, getting a subsidized phone, and then having T-Mobile pay the ETF and selling the phone for a profit?

You have to turn in your old phone to tmobile and buy one from them to get them to pay your ETF

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

badjohny posted:

You have to turn in your old phone to tmobile and buy one from them to get them to pay your ETF

Ah, well that makes complete sense then

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

badjohny posted:

You only have to turn in a phone, not necessarily your expensive phone.

And you wouldn't need to wait a whole month - most carriers have a 14 day return policy. So you'd wait 14 days and then cancel, pay the ETF and them turn in some other phone to TMo.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

My question from earlier wasn't answered so I guess I'll try again.

My father in law has a T-Mobile family plan, all lines are utilized.

My mother in law wants to port in a line from Sprint (nowhere near the end of the contract) onto her OWN family plan separate from his. Is she eligible for the ETF bonus? Or is she screwed because her husband has an existing T-Mobile plan?

No she will be fine.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://explore.t-mobile.com/break-up

Now this is clever advertising. (There's 6 versions, 30s spot, full minute, etc.)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

api call girl posted:

http://explore.t-mobile.com/break-up

Now this is clever advertising. (There's 6 versions, 30s spot, full minute, etc.)

Reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHHrJfFP3pg

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
my contract just came due for my phone on Verizon, and my wife's is due in a month, and I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile.

My main thing I want to do is I want to test the phone first. I live in a rural area, and Verizon is about the only thing that ever works here. Has anyone had any experience "testing" a line with TMo? How hard was it to return? And if you did switch, was it a pain to transfer your two numbers?

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
Just got my unlocked moto x that came with a T mobile sim already installed. I'm trying to activate it online for the nerd plan but I need an "activation code" that comes with prepaid phones which I'm pretty sure I don't have...

Otm Shank fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 3, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Otm Shank posted:

Just got my unlocked moto x that came with a T mobile sim already installed. I'm trying to activate it online for the nerd plan but I need an "activation code" that comes with prepaid phones which I'm pretty sure I don't have...

correct. SIM/Activation kits include the code, or you can grab a cheap prepaid phone at retail and use that activation code.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
When I activated my brother onto the $30 nerd plan, I didn't have an activation code, only an unactivated Tmo sim. I called Tmo customer service up and got transferred a few times before I got to someone who could activate him on the nerd plan without an activation code. My strategy was to keep telling them I had an unactivated sim card and only needed an activation code.

A lot of people will tell you that it's impossible to get on the nerd plan via phone, but I know from personal experience that it is possible if you ask the right way. Just make sure you confirm with the person that they're putting you on the 5 gig plan, not the 100 mb plan.

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

I am currently on Sprint and considering switching over. With the switch to tmobile ETF promotion do I have to sign up for a new account or would I be able to join an existing family plan?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Otm Shank posted:

ilkhan posted:

correct. SIM/Activation kits include the code, or you can grab a cheap prepaid phone at retail and use that activation code.

I have one sim activation kit left (i got 2 nano and 2 micro a while back when they were free), that I can PM you the code when I get home tonight, if you haven't already figured it out.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
That'd be awesome! Don't have PMs but my email is redacted at gmail. Otherwise I guess I'll swing by the T Mobile store tomorrow.

Otm Shank fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 12, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the unlimited data plan like in practice? I'm thinking about switching from my 2gb plan and actually using my phone for streaming music and stuff, but is the plan just the typical "we give you 5gb and throttle the poo poo out of you after that" crap?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Fallom posted:

What's the unlimited data plan like in practice? I'm thinking about switching from my 2gb plan and actually using my phone for streaming music and stuff, but is the plan just the typical "we give you 5gb and throttle the poo poo out of you after that" crap?

I use anywhere from 10 to 15 gigs a month and never been slowed down. I see customers who use 25 gigs regularly and have never been throttled. So you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
They do not throttle the unlimited plan. The cap packages are throttled after their respective caps.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I think I remember reading that they throttle you on the unlimited once you reach 10TB of data. So, uh, don't back up your hard drive to your phone over their network a bunch, and you should be fine.

I use google play music and netflix all the time, and have never had throttling issues.

surc fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 5, 2014

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

surc posted:

I think I remember reading that they throttle you on the unlimited once you reach 10TB of data.

WHAT? I can't back up my NAS over my cell phone connection? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
If you hit 10TB of data, T-Mobile should give you an award. Then throttle you from now on at 1 TB.