Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Oh my bad. Thanks. I followed a different link and got a "sorry this deal is no longer available page".

Edit: what are the thread's thoughts on the $12/mo protection service? Seems higher than I've paid in the past with Verizon but maybe I don't remember. Are there other insurance options?

Also, there are some free options such as visual voicemail and wifi calling hidden behind a "more options" button. I guess we need to check them to activate or is it automatic? Is there any downside? Seems weird to have free options that need to be selected like that. We're doing the $5/mo plus or whatever if that matters.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Wifi calling is baked into the devices and you don't have to sign up for it. I think Visual Voicemail is free, but VM to Text costs $5 a month (also includes a caller id feature) unless you are getting iPhones, which do that for you.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

skyydude posted:

I did read the rules threads, so I am sorry if this is somehow not permitted.

Would anyone be nice enough to PM me their t-mobile phone number and zip code? I fly for American, and my old T-mobile cell # doesn't work on GoGo inflight wifi anymore, and I had to switch to AT&T. :sigh:

And as a rule, anyone working for an airline, including pilots and flight attendants, is inherently cheap. :haw: I guess if I don't get any help from the goons, I'll eventually shell out the money for a subscription. Thanks everyone. I miss T-mo. :(

Hi, i frequently fly AA and use the t-mobile free Gogo internet and just wanted to check and crush your dreams. I have a personal and work phone both with t-mobile. I tried checking in for the free internet with my personal phone using my work phone number and zip and it gave an error and it failed to activate. I imagine they record some type of "last device ID to connect to wifi calling using this phone number" to verify. I guess that's why they require you to connect to wifi calling terrestrially at least once.

Anyways, please ask if any of the passengers have stairs in their house on the PA in the future so I know to deplane because there's a goon shitposting at the controls

skyydude
Sep 26, 2010

creationist believer posted:

Hi, i frequently fly AA and use the t-mobile free Gogo internet and just wanted to check and crush your dreams. I have a personal and work phone both with t-mobile. I tried checking in for the free internet with my personal phone using my work phone number and zip and it gave an error and it failed to activate. I imagine they record some type of "last device ID to connect to wifi calling using this phone number" to verify. I guess that's why they require you to connect to wifi calling terrestrially at least once.

Anyways, please ask if any of the passengers have stairs in their house on the PA in the future so I know to deplane because there's a goon shitposting at the controls

Yeah I had that happen once or twice. The only fix was waiting until the next day, and then the device was able to connect again. Good luck.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think the two lines for $100 is still going on and a good deal

Jump on this while you still can, once you have it locked in you keep it forever, but if you miss it, you'll be paying $120 for the same.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Edit: what are the thread's thoughts on the $12/mo protection service? Seems higher than I've paid in the past with Verizon but maybe I don't remember. Are there other insurance options?

The $12/mo includes Jump, which is the upgrade system; once you have half the phone paid off - either through 12 monthly payments (out of 24), or simply paying off half of it - you can turn in that phone, we forgive the remaining balance, and you start over with a new phone with 24 monthly payments again. A ton of people just upgrade their phone every year and maintain that $30/mo payment on their bill forever. Regular insurance is $10 (or $12 and it comes with premium mobile security but the Jump option comes with that anyway, so I'm not sure why that even exists??)

I always always always recommend the insurance, especially on a financed device, because if you're financing and lose your phone or have it stolen, you don't magically get out of that agreement; you still will owe all 24 of those payments, plus another 24 for the replacement you're gonna need. The deductible to replace a lost, stolen, or broken (cracked screen, water damage) phone ranges anywhere from $50 to $175 (depending on the device's full purchase price), which seems kinda steep, but when you do the math, you can break your phone three times in a year, pay the deductible all three times, plus the $120 for a year's worth of insurance and still break even on having to buy a new device even once without the insurance. The more expensive the phone, the better of a deal it becomes. The insurance also has the perk of extending the manufacturer's warranty beyond a the base year it comes with, and the processing fee is $5 instead of $20, and gets shipped next day air instead of UPS ground, which takes like a week.

And if you're on a Jump on Demand lease, which doesn't require insurance (in most states), it's still a good idea because you have to have a reasonably undamaged phone (acceptable screen, no water damage, powers on) to do an upgrade, and the damage penalty is $250 at the time of upgrade if it isn't.

I've seen it way too many times (even in the relatively short time I've been with the company) that people will decline insurance (lol I don't need that I'm ~*CAREFUL WITH PHONES*~) and then come in maybe a couple weeks later asking what they can do about the screen they just shattered. It only takes once and honestly :10bux: is worth the peace of mind.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Galaxy S8 is BOGO starting tomorrow. Must open a new line of service.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Any chance I could get that retroactively? I purchased a S8+ like three days ago.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Any chance I could get that retroactively? I purchased a S8+ like three days ago.

Return and rebuy.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It's probably worth doing either way, but if I go to the store for that can they just give me the same phone back? Or at least transfer the data? And should I bring the iPhone that we purchased in the same order in too?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Can't answer that for you. Sorry.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

No worries. Thanks for the heads up on the deal!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
So you have to sign up for an installment plan for two phones and then they give you $750 on a prepaid mastercard. You would presumably have to make the installment payments on both phones, right?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

nimper posted:

So you have to sign up for an installment plan for two phones and then they give you $750 on a prepaid mastercard. You would presumably have to make the installment payments on both phones, right?

I was kind of wondering the same thing, which if true is kind of a bummer. Not really looking for two lines or a prepaid master card.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can pay one of the lines off with the mastercard (and cancel the line)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Don Lapre posted:

You can pay one of the lines off with the mastercard (and cancel the line)

Do you get the mastercard same day?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

nimper posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say the answer to that will be no

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

nimper posted:

6-8 weeks

So lets say you already got 3 lines. Adding a 4th line is $20/m -$10 kickback if its not being used.

You could get the phone and pay tax ($70 here). Pay for the new line for 2-3 months ($20-$30) get the mastercard, pay off the EIP and sell the extra phone for $650 or so. Which would net you ~$550

If you don't want either phone then sell the other phone as well and still make $400 or so (after selling both and paying off both eips)

Its a sweet deal.

You would probably also get two entertainment packs from samsung and two gearvr tmobile kits.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 11, 2017

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Here's how it's gonna work

1. Up front cost will be around $250. ($25 for the new line + $30x2 for the down payment + $20 upgrade charge on an existing line + whatever applicable sales tax, in WA for example it'd be about $75 per phone) = $255. If you're lucky enough to live in a state with no sales tax (Oregon, etc) your costs will be a lot less ($105). If you opt for two S8+'s you'll have to also fork over another $200 ($100/phone) plus more tax on that $100, so in my example it'll run you $475 up front.
2. You'll need to sign up for the promo on the promotions website (if you ask nicely the rep may do it for you).
3. Wait 6-8 weeks for your prepaid mastercard of $750.
4. Once received, bring it into a T-Mobile store, and tell them to pay off one of the S8 EIPs (doesn't matter which) with the Mastercard. They'll know what to do. Since in that 6-8 weeks one or two installment payments will have hit, you'll have some left over. Put the rest towards your phone bill? The other S8? Go out to eat? You can use the remainder for anything, not just for T-Mobile stuff.
5. Only THEN cancel the line you had to open, not before, or you'll no longer be eligible and have to eat the entire cost of that second S8.

So, yeah, not totally free (still gotta pay that sales tax, and that additional $100 in the case of the S8+) but it's still a hell of a deal.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are a costco member there is no activation fee and its $0 down (or atleast it was this week)

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It took me awhile on the phone but I was able to swing it where I get one new line, order two new phones, and still keep the one I just bought a few days ago until the new ones arrive. Then I'll return the oldest one and swap the SIMs around. A headache but worth it for an S8 for only the price of 2 months of service + sales tax + activation + maybe restocking fee (I've seen conflicting information whether my online order will be charged restocking--either way, worth it). The guy I talked to also confirmed that I'd be able to get two VR Gear promos as well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was all prepared to give a glowing review of my experience in a t-mobile store. Went in earlier to get a cellspot because reception inside my house is terrible. The guy was super friendly and outgoing, and tried really hard to be helpful but he sent me home with the wrong cellspot. He gave me the router version and I asked him point blank if would work with my phone which does not use wifi calling and he assured me that even though it uses the internet it outputs a 4G signal. I'm not angry at the guy because other employees were standing there listening in and allowed it to happen. I accept some blame for not being an informed consumer but dammit I'm not the expert. Why is every interaction with tmobile an aggravating experience. Anyway, the upside is the Asus AC1900 is a kickass router, better than my C7, and I would kind of like to keep it. Will they let me have 2 Cellspots, one of each type?

tldr: Will tmobile let me have both a Personal Cellspot and a Cellspot Router?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have a both the wifi router and the cell spot so it's definitely possible to get both.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I can say that in the system on our end it's a very easy mistake to make because it's not clear at all, the distinction between the cellspot and the wifi router.

Even then it's a super easy mistake to fix, just take back your router and get the other one? There's no charge at all.

But yeah, you can have both.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They are sending me the personal cellspot, I get to have both.

Update, the personal cellspot is amazing, full bars in the whole house.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 20, 2017

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

wormil posted:

They are sending me the personal cellspot, I get to have both.

Update, the personal cellspot is amazing, full bars in the whole house.

The wi-fi router and cellspot is a strange combination unless you just had a crappy router to start. If that's the case, though, the router is pretty sweet.

One caveat to the cellspot is it's a bad idea for having close neighbors and a metered connection. All devices on T-Mobile service that pick up the frequencies the cellspot broadcasts will connect to it with no form of authentication and use your home ISP connection.

repeating fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 4, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

repeating posted:

The wi-fi router and cellspot is a strange combination unless you just had a crappy router to start. If that's the case, though, the router is pretty sweet.

I have the router because they gave it to me by mistake, incompetence actually. But, it is a hell of a lot better than the Archer C7 I was using previously so I kept it.

repeating posted:

One caveat to the cellspot is it's a bad idea for having close neighbors and a metered connection. All devices on T-Mobile service that pick up the frequencies the cellspot broadcasts will connect to it with no form of authentication and use your home ISP connection.

That's interesting if true, but I don't have a metered connection. Cell signal isn't weak in my neighborhood, it's very strong, but I live in a near-literal black hole of cell reception. Walk 7-8 feet from house in any direction and you get full bars, but at my house you're lucky to get 1 bar and inside you usually get none.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

wormil posted:

That's interesting if true, but I don't have a metered connection. Cell signal isn't weak in my neighborhood, it's very strong, but I live in a near-literal black hole of cell reception. Walk 7-8 feet from house in any direction and you get full bars, but at my house you're lucky to get 1 bar and inside you usually get none.

It is definitely true. It broadcasts out a signal just like a T-Mobile tower and is usable by anyone whose phone has it as the option for the strongest signal. Shouldn't be a problem with your description of the situation, though.

quote:

What devices are compatible with the T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot?
The T-Mobile 4G LTE CellSpot is compatible with 3G/4G/4G LTE devices. It also supports both T-Mobile and non-T-Mobile devices compatible with our network.
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24269

E: also the router IS pretty sweet if you're used to whatever the ISP gives you. like I am.

repeating fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 4, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Since I'm paying TMo about $100/mo anyway ($70 One plan for my wife, $30 nerd plan for me) and I've used up the balance in my prepaid account, I'm going to switch from prepaid to a 2-line postpaid plan. Anyone know of any promos or anything going along with this? I use Google Voice so I don't care about keeping the number on the prepaid plan.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
I think the 2 for $100 (with AutoPay discount) T-Mobile One promotional pricing is still active

repeating fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 5, 2017

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm guessing the AutoPay discount takes a few cycles to show up? Just had my first T-Mo bill get autopaid (and I'm on the 2 for $100 plan) and it wasn't discounted $10.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

I'm guessing the AutoPay discount takes a few cycles to show up? Just had my first T-Mo bill get autopaid (and I'm on the 2 for $100 plan) and it wasn't discounted $10.

Contact tforce on Twitter and they will adjust it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Don Lapre posted:

Contact tforce on Twitter and they will adjust it.

I just logged in again and now the AutoPay thing states "You're paying with AutoPay and are now saving $10 per month ($5 per voice line/month)."

I'll wait for it to generate the next bill and I'll DM T-Force if the discount isn't applied then.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah mine was reflected on my first bill

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Protocol7 posted:

Check to make sure the reps at the store didn't cheekily sign up both lines for T-Mobile One Plus. We get bonuses for that and less scrupulous stores have been caught adding it on to every customer every time regardless of consent or foreknowledge.

I never do that, myself, but I've heard of it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Daily Forecast posted:

Check to make sure the reps at the store didn't cheekily sign up both lines for T-Mobile One Plus. We get bonuses for that and less scrupulous stores have been caught adding it on to every customer every time regardless of consent or foreknowledge.

I never do that, myself, but I've heard of it.

Definitely not. The bill breakdown and all the info I can see reflects exactly what was explained to us when we switched, which from what you said combined with stories I've read seems alarmingly uncommon.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Definitely not. The bill breakdown and all the info I can see reflects exactly what was explained to us when we switched, which from what you said combined with stories I've read seems alarmingly uncommon.

Part of that is because the sales goals for retail reps are extremely aggressive. Like "I need you to get extra features on 9 out of 10 sales."

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
T-Mobile social media support is wonderful

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

repeating posted:

Part of that is because the sales goals for retail reps are extremely aggressive. Like "I need you to get extra features on 9 out of 10 sales."

Strange, of the three times I've gotten a new phone at a T-Mobile store, extra gear has been pushed on me only once - and I use JoD, which I've heard the reps don't get commission for anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Strange, of the three times I've gotten a new phone at a T-Mobile store, extra gear has been pushed on me only once - and I use JoD, which I've heard the reps don't get commission for anyway.

Sales pressure for wireless tends to vary a lot on both specific store culture, and the area managers above them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Sales pressure for wireless tends to vary a lot on both specific store culture, and the area managers above them.

last time i saw, the expectation for extended warranty/insruance was 85%